October 16, 2018, 06:01:27 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 784021 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6100 on: September 07, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »
Is anyone else constantly confused about what to throw away and how?

I was told that one bag type was only trash, but I always see the Koreans here throwing recyclable things into it.

And are you or aren't you meant to throw eggs into the food waste??

And what in the hell do I do with ripped up bedding???

Korea this is too coNFUSING

Two big things to keep in mind:

The rules are different between districts (gu)
The written rules you see in English may or may not be decent translations.

Eggs... I put them in food waste. The rules I saw for Seocho-gu say "hard shells" are not permitted, so I don't put clam shells in. I heard another opinion that "anything livestock can eat" is ok; hogs will eat anything, and hens will eat eggshells. I don't think that they use it for livestock feed though.

Just do your best... not even the locals really understand the rules.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6101 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
Is anyone else constantly confused about what to throw away and how?

I was told that one bag type was only trash, but I always see the Koreans here throwing recyclable things into it.

And are you or aren't you meant to throw eggs into the food waste??

And what in the hell do I do with ripped up bedding???

Korea this is too coNFUSING

Whereas I would consider food waste to be "compost" and therefore allow things like the skin of an onion or an eggshell, it actually goes for pig feed in Korea, hence the no bones, no shells or onion skins.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6102 on: September 07, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
Does anybody know what to do with dead plants and soil? The heat in my veranda killed most of my plants, so I want to dispose of the dead plants and soil, but not the vases in which they came. My plan is to fill the old vases with artificial plants or some other decoration.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6103 on: September 07, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
Does anybody know what to do with dead plants and soil? The heat in my veranda killed most of my plants, so I want to dispose of the dead plants and soil, but not the vases in which they came. My plan is to fill the old vases with artificial plants or some other decoration.

This makes me ponder a bigger question. Where do all those giant plant pots and flowers go to a few days after a new store or restaurant has been open and they've disappeared?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6104 on: September 07, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »

This makes me ponder a bigger question. Where do all those giant plant pots and flowers go to a few days after a new store or restaurant has been open and they've disappeared?

The "Grand Open" lasts for years. They eventually just decompose into thier constituent elements.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6105 on: September 07, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »

The "Grand Open" lasts for years. They eventually just decompose into thier constituent elements.

Haha. Sometimes I feel like sneaking out in the middle of the night with a sharpie and adding and ing onto those posters.  :police:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6106 on: September 07, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
A brief critique of the new BTS 'Idol' remix, feat. Nicki Minaj:

I'm not a huge BTS fan, but they're definitely talented. I think I'm just too old for them. They can't replace the Big Bang-shaped hole in my heart. But, I digress.

BTS recently got a Nicki Minaj feature on a remix of their song, 'Idol.' This is, for a Korean group, a huge deal. And for fans of that group, it's also a sort of validation. Whenever a western star features on a Korean song, people flip out and say, "Look! Look! We've been noticed!" And in some ways, it's kind of true, but in other ways, the importance of it is way blown out of proportion.

Nicki's an expensive person to get a feature from, but she's certainly not stingy with her features. Like, I literally can't even count how many different western artists have had a Nicki feature on their track. So, it's not really that big of a deal. If you were an up-and-coming nobody western artist who got her to feature on one of your songs, you'd be fully justified in popping champagne and celebrating.

But BTS is literally one of the most popular currently-active pop groups in the world. So, having a feature from a well-known western artist shouldn't really be a big deal, but hey, it's Korea, and it is kind of unusual, so, they're going to act like it's the most amazing thing in the world. And fans will, too.

Whatever.

ANYWAYS! Nicki's verse is seriously one of her most boilerplate verses imaginable. No matter what she does, it's never bad, but like, for anyone with any familiarity with her, this is seriously low-effort.

The song is pretty good. But at around 4.5 minutes run time, it's about one minute too long. They should've kept the standard 3.5ish minute pop song length. It starts getting a bit played out toward the end. Then you're hit with the novelty of Nicki on a Kpop song, and then instead of ending it there, they slap the hook back on at the end. And it's just a bit too much.

So, to summarize: it's kind of sad that her featuring on their track is made out to be such a big deal, because it shouldn't be. And the song is decent, but too long. And Nicki phoned it in so hard.

The end.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #6107 on: September 07, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6108 on: September 07, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »

I'm often confronted by the sight of mummified 'Grand Open' plants on the rotting stoops of failed businesses. They're the dead carriage horses of this era in Korea. Very depressing.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6109 on: September 07, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
What BTS really need is some military service!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/k-pop-south-korean-stars-bts-conscription-debate

Yeah. Big Bang are almost all doing their military service, like they should.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #6110 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/k-pop-south-korean-stars-bts-conscription-debate

Public opinion on the issue remains sharply divided and a recent poll showed 48% were in favour of increasing incentives while 44% were opposed.

It's almost a fifty/fifty thing though.  But it seems to be something that could be open to abuse if they allow famous people to opt out of it.  Fair enough they win a medal in the Olympics, but for topping the charts?  Nah.  In Korea, where the majority of the general public are against rich/famous privilege, I doubt this would make that situation any better.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6111 on: September 07, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
Yeah, BTS hits all of the right points for being popular with the pop mainstream crowd, enough so that they're now getting treated like some kind of national treasure and are being given special treatment even over other celebrities.

Not sure how long they can ride that wave for, though.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6112 on: September 07, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

Public opinion on the issue remains sharply divided and a recent poll showed 48% were in favour of increasing incentives while 44% were opposed.

It's almost a fifty/fifty thing though.  But it seems to be something that could be open to abuse if they allow famous people to opt out of it.  Fair enough they win a medal in the Olympics, but for topping the charts?  Nah.  In Korea, where the majority of the general public are against rich/famous privilege, I doubt this would make that situation any better.

Avoiding military service for topping the charts would be an absolute scam when you consider that you can just buy your way to the top of the charts exactly like BTS have done.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6113 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
How did bibimbap and bulgogi become the posterchildren of Korean food promoted abroad? Bibimbap was literally created first by using 반찬 leftovers, and barely even qualifies as like, a recipe or dish, and bulgogi is just... underwhelming? Has anyone ever eaten bulgogi and been like, "Oh my god, this is so delicious"?

Bibimbap can be great, but at the end of the day, it really is just rice with 반찬 on it.

I feel like they're two of the most overrated Korean foods. Also samgyeopsal is up there. It's usually really low grade pork belly. If the place actually uses good meat, it can be good, but Korean BBQ restaurants are usually pretty much the lowest common denominator of food.

What do you feel are the most overrated Korean foods?

And if you're just going to come in here and say, "Bawww all Korean food is bad it's so bad UGH it's not REFINED and it's such an INFERIOR CUISINE UGHHHH" then just don't bother. I'm asking people who actually like and appreciate Korean food.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Veteran
« Reply #6114 on: September 07, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
How did bibimbap and bulgogi become the posterchildren of Korean food promoted abroad? Bibimbap was literally created first by using 반찬 leftovers, and barely even qualifies as like, a recipe or dish, and bulgogi is just... underwhelming? Has anyone ever eaten bulgogi and been like, "Oh my god, this is so delicious"?

Bibimbap can be great, but at the end of the day, it really is just rice with 반찬 on it.

I feel like they're two of the most overrated Korean foods. Also samgyeopsal is up there. It's usually really low grade pork belly. If the place actually uses good meat, it can be good, but Korean BBQ restaurants are usually pretty much the lowest common denominator of food.

And if you're just going to come in here and say, "Bawww all Korean food is bad it's so bad UGH it's not REFINED and it's such an INFERIOR CUISINE UGHHHH" then just don't bother. I'm asking people who actually like and appreciate Korean food.

I'm not sure about most overrated. And I generally like both of those foods actually. I just came to say that the first time I came to Korea was when I learned to appreciate soups and stews. Before then, I never really thought too highly of soups and stews. So I guess I'm a soups and stews kind of fan. IMO 삼계탕 is super underrated. I love that shit.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6115 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

Based on the Korean population's opinion, all of them.

Based on what I've seen, kimbap. There was a week during Summer break where the other teachers ordered it for lunch FOUR DAYS IN A ROW. Can't get enough of that kimbap :cry:

I actually really enjoy samgyeopsal though in comparison to most Korean foods.
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6116 on: September 07, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »

I love bibimbap, but I'm not going to pretend that it's some kind of magic. hahaha It's rice, gochujang and veggies. Spicy rice salad. haha

Also, I hate kimbap so much. It's the worst of everything rolled up into a tube of disappointment. There's also the mental block of thinking "sushi roll" and then having yellow radish come through on your bite. Gross.

Overrated? Yeah, bbq. I like it, but samgyeopsal is not good, 9 times out of 10. Gimme some moksal, gabeurisal, hanegjeongsal. Those are all good. And spend a little more, folks. 12 000W for all you can eat samgyeopsay is not something to triumph, you get EXACTLY what you pay for. Spend 15 for less meat and it'll actually be a good evening out. 

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6117 on: September 07, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

I'm not sure about most overrated. And I generally like both of those foods actually. I just came to say that the first time I came to Korea was when I learned to appreciate soups and stews. Before then, I never really thought too highly of soups and stews. So I guess I'm a soups and stews kind of fan. IMO 삼계탕 is super underrated. I love that shit.

Oh no, like I really like bibimbap. But I don't think it's anything to be too proud of. Unless you were to put serious effort into handmaking or sourcing each different 반찬 on top. But even then, the tastes get all muddled, anyways, so there's no point.

But I do think bulgogi is just a trash way to make junk meat taste less like junk meat. And not in a very effective way.

Also, I think it would be hard to say kimbap is overrated, because nobody has every tried to argue that kimbap is in any way impressive. It's like the equivalent of a ham and cheese sandwich or something. It's just a simple satisfying carbo snack food.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6118 on: September 07, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

I love bibimbap, but I'm not going to pretend that it's some kind of magic. hahaha It's rice, gochujang and veggies. Spicy rice salad. haha

Also, I hate kimbap so much. It's the worst of everything rolled up into a tube of disappointment. There's also the mental block of thinking "sushi roll" and then having yellow radish come through on your bite. Gross.

Overrated? Yeah, bbq. I like it, but samgyeopsal is not good, 9 times out of 10. Gimme some moksal, gabeurisal, hanegjeongsal. Those are all good. And spend a little more, folks. 12 000W for all you can eat samgyeopsay is not something to triumph, you get EXACTLY what you pay for. Spend 15 for less meat and it'll actually be a good evening out.

We're on the same page so exactly right here.

And also, if you go to a good place, and pay a good place price, samgyeopsal can be amazing - if it's also being cooked by someone who doesn't suck at cooking at it. But getting all those things to happen at the same time is next to impossible. You're totally right that 9/10 times it's just hot trash.

Also what's that last meat you mentioned? I either can't recognize it or can't figure out your romanization.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6119 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
Also what's that last meat you mentioned? I either can't recognize it or can't figure out your romanization.

Ah shit, HANGJEONGsal (항정)

Usually if you go to a place with Gabeuri or Hangjeong, they give enough of a shit about their food that you'll have a good meal.

I find a lot of Jeju pork places are decent. And they usually have a good selection of cuts. My friend and I went to a plce in Yeosu and it was bloody incredible.......... and it was 80 000 for the two of us (with a bottle of Hwayo 25 soj)