December 12, 2018, 09:50:34 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 848119 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6040 on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
A kid just walked in the class to sit in his usual seat and someone else has put their books down there and he's stood there like he's just been issued with papers for a divorce and child support.  :laugh: Bless him.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6041 on: October 23, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
I got into the habit of going to the gym in the evenings, and I haven't had a proper early morning workout in about a year.

Finally decided to give it a go this morning despite not getting more than four hours sleep last night.

Now all I want to do is take a nap. Probably should have experimented with this on Friday.

Yeah. I literally can't exercise in the morning. I enjoy exercising immediately after work, and then by the time I get home, it's dinner time, so I don't have to wait long between exercising and eating.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6042 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
Just the other day, one of my students came to the office to talk to me. He was asking me if I had heard about the BTS speech at the UN. Of course I had heard about it, but then he told me that his assignment in English class was to memorize and recite their speech. :huh:

Yes, let's memorize English from the K-Pop superstars who are still learning... Rather than practically anyone else at that conference. This is just painful to watch.
The World Ends With You

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6043 on: October 24, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
Just the other day, one of my students came to the office to talk to me. He was asking me if I had heard about the BTS speech at the UN. Of course I had heard about it, but then he told me that his assignment in English class was to memorize and recite their speech. :huh:

Yes, let's memorize English from the K-Pop superstars who are still learning... Rather than practically anyone else at that conference. This is just painful to watch.

Several members of BTS are fluent in English. And several other members are definitely conversational.

I think it can be beneficial for students to see their role models speaking a second language, especially if it's a second language like English, which they may not have much intrinsic motivation to learn.

And if BTS members make mistakes while speaking English, and students see that, that is excellent because it shows them that they don't have to try to achieve some sort of textbook level of perfection. They can say whatever, even if it's in front of the UN, and no magical lightning bolt is going to zap them for making a mistake in public.

Great for lowering inhibition barriers when it comes to English!

Now, memorizing speeches is dumb and a waste of time, but their speech is definitely the most relevant and motivational to most students here.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6044 on: October 24, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »

Several members of BTS are fluent in English. And several other members are definitely conversational.

I think it can be beneficial for students to see their role models speaking a second language, especially if it's a second language like English, which they may not have much intrinsic motivation to learn.

And if BTS members make mistakes while speaking English, and students see that, that is excellent because it shows them that they don't have to try to achieve some sort of textbook level of perfection. They can say whatever, even if it's in front of the UN, and no magical lightning bolt is going to zap them for making a mistake in public.

Now, memorizing speeches is dumb and a waste of time, but their speech is definitely the most relevant and motivational to most students here.

I watched the speech and the speaking members were great, but this goes into the whole "prioritizing image over learning" thing. At no other point during my 2 years at this school has there been a speech to be memorized (which I agree, is stupid). But BTS comes up and it's suddenly English Topic #1. I will agree with you though, the students are very much motivated by it.
The World Ends With You

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6045 on: October 24, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »

I watched the speech and the speaking members were great, but this goes into the whole "prioritizing image over learning" thing. At no other point during my 2 years at this school has there been a speech to be memorized (which I agree, is stupid). But BTS comes up and it's suddenly English Topic #1. I will agree with you though, the students are very much motivated by it.

Almost anything that can get students motivated is a huge plus, in my opinion, as long as it's not candy or something.

Also, side note - you've been at your school for two years? I thought you only arrived in Korea in like mid-late 2017. Confused.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6046 on: October 24, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »

Also, side note - you've been at your school for two years? I thought you only arrived in Korea in like mid-late 2017. Confused.

It feels like 2 years at this point... I need a break :cry:
The World Ends With You

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6047 on: October 24, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
Don't we all.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6048 on: October 26, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Crap, it's just one of those days when I wish I were an over-45 woman from Moscow.   :sad:
Yeah, i totally want to go to this wedding too.  :sad:

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6049 on: October 26, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
Crap, it's just one of those days when I wish I were an over-45 woman from Moscow.   :sad:

There are three basic criteria to go to that wedding.  Currently, I fail on all three fronts.  You at least pass on one (female), and another maybe, but as I'm polite like, and a consummate gentleman, I won't enquire about the age thing.  Also, you speak Dutch so that could qualify slightly as being able to talk in a funny way like.  :afro:

Just say that you identify as a 45 year old Russian woman. The way things are these days, everybody will play along.

Online TripsOnFlatGround

• Newgookin
« Reply #6050 on: October 26, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Just hid in my schools store room for half an hour because I needed a moment to myself and I share my office with 3 other people. so my Friday has been... a day

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6051 on: October 26, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
There are three basic criteria to go to that wedding.  Currently, I fail on all three fronts.  You at least pass on one (female), and another maybe, but as I'm polite like, and a consummate gentleman, I won't inquire about the age thing.  Also, you speak Dutch so that could qualify slightly as being able to talk in a funny way like.  :afro:
Pretty sure I've never claimed to be female. Also, those glottal fricatives kinda give away the language I'm speaking... although I *did* grow up in a Russian community and did learn a fair number of Russian curse words, so if I limit my interaction to just cussing...
Oh, and I'm definitely not over 45! I'm actually pretty amazed that I've managed to make it this far...

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6052 on: October 27, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »

Incorrect Sir.  Only one member speaks fluent English

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6053 on: October 31, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
I know it's way past it, but pretty much everyday I listen to Karl, Ricky and Steve.  There is so much out there from the XFm days, the podcasts, the specials etc, that it is just excellent background noise if I'm doing something at home.  Listening to them a lot you realise that they're all a bit strange.  All as much as each other.  Ricky just seems intolerant, unable to concentrate for a minute and a probably a pain in the ass to be around.  Also strange that he never invited Steve to his birthdays or bashes, and seems to have nothing to do with anymore.  Which to me seems a little strange.  Steve is tight careful with his money but out of the three seems the most normal.  I love Karl obviously.  But I've never really worked out how he got his job.  If he's so 'stupid' and with no education or qualifications, how can he get a job working in radio?  Would it be like the monkey who got a job in the railway station and helped the guy pull the levers, but the guy lost a leg somehow and the monkey got the job, and received half a bottle of beer on Saturdays as payment?  It's possible.

My current bedtime listening...

I know a lot of people in radio that have no formal education.
While still in high school, I did an audition for the CBC. It's only the past few years that they expect degrees.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6054 on: October 31, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
I know it's way past it, but pretty much everyday I listen to Karl, Ricky and Steve.  There is so much out there from the XFm days, the podcasts, the specials etc, that it is just excellent background noise if I'm doing something at home.  Listening to them a lot you realise that they're all a bit strange.  All as much as each other.  Ricky just seems intolerant, unable to concentrate for a minute and a probably a pain in the ass to be around.  Also strange that he never invited Steve to his birthdays or bashes, and seems to have nothing to do with anymore.  Which to me seems a little strange.  Steve is tight careful with his money but out of the three seems the most normal.  I love Karl obviously.  But I've never really worked out how he got his job.  If he's so 'stupid' and with no education or qualifications, how can he get a job working in radio?  Would it be like the monkey who got a job in the railway station and helped the guy pull the levers, but the guy lost a leg somehow and the monkey got the job, and received half a bottle of beer on Saturdays as payment?  It's possible.

There always seemed to be an underlying tension between Ricky and Steve. I think Steve got genuinely hurt by some of the things Karl said. And Ricky was always the one winding up the whole thing. "He's done you again!"

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #6055 on: October 31, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
Dave Stepz, curious to know...what do you think of the Claire Sturgess shows when Karl was absent? 

I know that those shows get a lot of stick from fans but they're amongst some of my all time favourites.  The atmosphere seems a lot more "mischievous" in those shows and I love how much fun they're obviously having.  So many good convos came out of those shows...Ricky's suit for the awards do, Claire's nudist beach holiday, Karl calling in when he was sick ("He could have been your brother, Steve"  :laugh:).

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6056 on: October 31, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »

this may sound weird, but i listen every night as i fall asleep. if it's not playing, i can't usually sleep! i must have listened to the xfm shows hundreds of times, but it's a sort of weird comfort thing for me now. still bits i forget about and chuckle to, though

i think steve was *mostly* just playing along when karl took the piss out of him. karl usually has the better comebacks, or, as ricky says "he's done you again, steve!"

ricky is pretty obnoxious in the later episodes. he never lets karl explain himself or purposely misconstrues what he meant.

the earlier episodes with karl are the best, because you can see him slowly opening up and becoming more confident sharing his opinions and telling stories. i can't listen to the podcasts anymore because they are rehashed from the xfm shows and karl seems to be playing up being stupid more, rather than just being himself

steve is my favourite, though. i love his anecdotes especially. Hello Ladies is good if you haven't seen it.

the show wouldn't really work without the three of them together though. even with the clair sturges episodes they end up talking about karl most of the time anyway (although they are still very funny). the camfield episode is lame though and i always have to skip it

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6057 on: October 31, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
Dave Stepz, curious to know...what do you think of the Claire Sturgess shows when Karl was absent? 

I know that those shows get a lot of stick from fans but they're amongst some of my all time favourites.  The atmosphere seems a lot more "mischievous" in those shows and I love how much fun they're obviously having.  So many good convos came out of those shows...Ricky's suit for the awards do, Claire's nudist beach holiday, Karl calling in when he was sick ("He could have been your brother, Steve"  :laugh:).

the bit that always makes me laugh is karl telling the story about the chair he sold. 36m10s

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6058 on: October 31, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »
Last year my consulting took place with just me and my coordinator. This year I was told he would be there again today. What I didn't know was that this time he would be accompanied by both my CTs, the VP, and the two heads of English education for my district. :huh:

I was already kinda nervous, but I should've expected this nonetheless. :cry:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6059 on: October 31, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
I've had a total of one open class my entire time here.

I don't know why, seems to be a pretty regular thing for other EPIKers.