October 18, 2018, 06:05:51 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 786112 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5960 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »
Yeah, learning the oceans and continents is part of primary education, at least it was in my part of the States. Pretty sure that's part of the U.S. curriculum in general.

But tbf, most people don't retain most of the geography they learn unless there's something in their lives to help cement it. Or a personal interest.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5961 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
I'm not sure about things like that.

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?
Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...

I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5962 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?
Um, everybody? Or at least, everybody who manages to graduate from primary school...

I'm with K on this.  Who is not curious and interested in the world and countries when they were in primary school?

Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5963 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »

Well yeah that's true but I suppose some people don't retain every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.
     That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5964 on: July 17, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »

That's certainly true. And it's exactly this where I think a lot of the judgment come in: not caring enough to know ( or remember) even where your own country fits in on a map shows an almost pathological disinterest in the world around you.

Imagine literally drawing a false equivalency between having basic knowledge of geography to someone 'retain[ing] every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.'

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5965 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »

Imagine literally drawing a false equivalency between having basic knowledge of geography to someone 'retain[ing] every piece of information they've ever had given to them in their lives.'

Nah the point is having snidy little c*nts like you sneering at people who might not have an interest in where countries are on a map.

Also, wait a minute.  People started talking about learning stuff in primary school so where's the false equivalency?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:06:22 AM by alexisalex »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5966 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »

Those new countries south of Austria and Hungary, west of Romania always confuse me because they didn't exist when I learned Europe in grade 7 or 8.  Also some of the names and flags are very similar.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:39:39 AM by JNM »

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5967 on: July 17, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
I kinda understand where most of the people stand. I suck at Geography myself, but I don't think there's shame in not knowing too many countries locations around the world. When I was in school, I took only one Geography class in middle school, and nothing beyond that. It's one thing to hear a lot about a country and actually know where it is on a map (especially the smaller ones).

Not knowing your own country is another thing though.

The World Ends With You

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5968 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
I kinda understand where most of the people stand. I suck at Geography myself, but I don't think there's shame in not knowing too many countries locations around the world. When I was in school, I took only one Geography class in middle school, and nothing beyond that. It's one thing to hear a lot about a country and actually know where it is on a map (especially the smaller ones).

Middle-school is not a particularly steep (academic) learning curve period.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5969 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »
    No, I totally understand that not everybody will know what the capital of Wakanda is, or where El Dorado is on a map. That's pretty specialized knowledge.
    I'm referring to more basic stuff... like not knowing the capital of your own province/state, or what your immediate neighbouring countries are, or the names of the 8 major continents. People should know this, and I feel justified in getting all judgy if they don't.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:48:42 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5970 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
Sorry, if you can't point out 3, THREE, countries on a map, including your own for god's sake, there's something wrong.

And no, that's not the same thing as, "Well, your algebra ain't that great."

I'm not trying to sound like the self-righteous Canadian, of which there are many, but if you can't point out Mexico, YOURSELF, and Canada, then........... I don't know what to tell you. Not knowing the details of the French Revolution is not the same thing as knowing where your neighbours are on a map.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5971 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Sorry, if you can't point out 3, THREE, countries on a map, including your own for god's sake, there's something wrong.

I'm not trying to sound like the self-righteous Canadian, of which there are many, but if you can't point out Mexico, YOURSELF, and Canada, then........... I don't know what to tell you. Not knowing the details of the French Revolution is not the same thing as knowing where your neighbours are on a map.
True. I took this whole argument to mean if you can't pick out a country e.g Korea out on a map (if you've never even been there) then you're stupid. Yeah, not knowing the countries next to you, or where your country is on a map..oh dear

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5972 on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »

True. I took this whole argument to mean if you can't pick out a country e.g Korea out on a map (if you've never even been there) then you're stupid. Yeah, not knowing the countries next to you, or where your country is on a map..oh dear

Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something. But if someone is unable to locate or identify the country they live in and the surrounding countries, that's pretty embarrassing and worthy of some scorn.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5973 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something.

Unless you're from Kazakhstan. They learn about their neighbours when they are taught about the Great Potassium War of 1977.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5974 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »
Yeah. Nobody will necessarily fault you if you can't pick locate Uzbekistan or something.

Unless you're from Kazakhstan. They learn about their neighbours when they are taught about the Great Potassium War of 1977.

Kazakhstan has the best potassium!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5975 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
https://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3069

This is fun, change the drop down menu under the map to "Place the labels" then see how long it takes you to get to 100%
Let's see how good we all are shall we  ;D

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #5976 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
87% 3:09, 100% would take a few more attempts ...

This one is good too! https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5977 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
87% 3:09, 100% would take a few more attempts ...

This one is good too! https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

73% 2:39

Africa f's me every time. Northern Africa I got, but those southern ones, that aren't SA haha, always get me.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5978 on: July 17, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »

This is fun, change the drop down menu under the map to "Place the labels" then see how long it takes you to get to 100%

I was doing great until I had to start filling in the non-Arab African countries. Oof.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5979 on: July 17, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »

I got 39% in 15 minutes lol When it came to Africa I was absolutely clueless
The World Ends With You