December 17, 2018, 07:50:40 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 854988 times)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5960 on: October 02, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »
While choosing the new textbooks for next year, I was solely in charge of choosing the writing and conversation books, while the Korean teachers chose the textbook, which I don't teach anyway.  My decisions were mainly based on too many Korean examples, like references to Dokdo and with examples like 'Have you been to a jjimjilbang?' 'Don't forget your key'.  Another was disqualified with a chapter about your feelings on something and the categories were 'Think it's amazing/It's good/So-so/Not happy with'.  When asked about why by my co-t, I told her that 'so-so' is a terrible expression.

The reason for the heavy focus on Korea is that the curriculum is intended to encourage students to spread Korean culture abroad, not to enjoy other cultures. It's a very different to aim to curricula in western countries.

I'm not in agreement with such BS, just passing on the message.

I don't think that's really true.
From what I've heard, textbook publishers have a greater shot of getting their books published and selected by government schools if they have a certain amount of pro-Korea propaganda in it. Like everything else, it comes down to money.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5961 on: October 02, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
By high school textbooks, they should have dispensed with these as keywords in a sentence.  Even if they go abroad and talk about jjimjilbangs, they'll get, 'What is that?'  'It's a Korean sauna'  'Ah, ok, now I see!'  Just call it a Korean sauna to start with.  I understand language evolves and one country's words can be incorporated into another, but in an English language book, make the effort to use the English terms.  A lot of the text books I looked at, part of the 'new curriculum', had pages and pages of these Korean words snuck in there.

This is a big problem when Koreans take the IELTS test and they think it's OK to drop in Korean words whenever they like. They don't seem to realise that if they get a question like, 'describe the food from your country?' and they reply with 'in my country we eat kimchi, samgyupsal, tteokbokki, bulgogi and drink makoli, they're not going to get any points for vocabulary. Some of these terms I guess could be described as international like 'pizza' or vodka but most of them aren't. When other nationalities do this in the IELTS test, they always explain what they are as well. I guess one reason is that they're taking the test in their own country and just assume the foreign examiner will know what they're talking about.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5962 on: October 02, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
Another was disqualified with a chapter about your feelings on something and the categories were 'Think it's amazing/It's good/So-so/Not happy with'.  When asked about why by my co-t, I told her that 'so-so' is a terrible expression.
There was a fairly heated debate about "so-so" a few years ago here on Waygook, and it eventually came out that the expression varies by time and space... ie, common in some regions, and not so so much in others, and that it had a pretty specific hey-day.
   For example, I heard it all the time back in high school in central BC.

Unless your beef is that it's too informal for textbook categorization markers, in which case I think you have a so-solid point.

My decisions were mainly based on too many Korean examples, like references to Dokdo and with examples like 'Have you been to a jjimjilbang?' and 'Don't forget your key'.
You've obviously never forgotten your key. It really should be a key expression.
At first I was all like  :undecided:, but then I keyed in to the humour, and was all  :rolleyes: and :laugh:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5963 on: October 02, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
By high school textbooks, they should have dispensed with these as keywords in a sentence.  Even if they go abroad and talk about jjimjilbangs, they'll get, 'What is that?'  'It's a Korean sauna'  'Ah, ok, now I see!'  Just call it a Korean sauna to start with.  I understand language evolves and one country's words can be incorporated into another, but in an English language book, make the effort to use the English terms.  A lot of the text books I looked at, part of the 'new curriculum', had pages and pages of these Korean words snuck in there.

This is a big problem when Koreans take the IELTS test and they think it's OK to drop in Korean words whenever they like. They don't seem to realise that if they get a question like, 'describe the food from your country?' and they reply with 'in my country we eat kimchi, samgyupsal, tteokbokki, bulgogi and drink makoli, they're not going to get any points for vocabulary. Some of these terms I guess could be described as international like 'pizza' or vodka but most of them aren't. When other nationalities do this in the IELTS test, they always explain what they are as well. I guess one reason is that they're taking the test in their own country and just assume the foreign examiner will know what they're talking about.

I can see the reasons why they'd get no points for that.  Are you saying if they say the Korean word, but explain in English what it is, they'd still get points?  Also, if they write the English and make a mistake with the spelling, they'd lose points for incorrect spelling.  If they write the Korean as 'Samgyeopsal/Samkyupsal/Samkyeopsal/Samgyupsal, would they be allowed points for trying?  A spelling is either right or wrong, surely.

Yes, I always tell them that they can use Korean words but they should always explain what they mean in English afterwards. Another example would be if they get a question about festivals and they talk about playing yutnori, doing jesa, wearing a hanbok etc... Nul point if you don't explain the terms.

As for writing/spelling etc, it doesn't come up as often. Whatever the question in part two, most Korean candidates manage to end up writing about smart phones anyway.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5964 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
So you'd be happy with...

'Usually, at the supermarket we buy a 'sulaegi pootong', which is a kind of Korean rubbish bag, to put our rubbish in.'

Adverb of frequency employed in the right place, correct preposition and use of definite article, correct use of present simple for habits/routines, relative clause with correct pronoun, phrasal verb correctly separated and uncountable noun used in the right way.

Yep, more than happy.  :smiley:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5965 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Yes, I always tell them that they can use Korean words but they should always explain what they mean in English afterwards. Another example would be if they get a question about festivals and they talk about playing yutnori, doing jesa, wearing a hanbok etc... Nul point if you don't explain the terms.

'Usually, at the supermarket we buy a 'sulaegi pootong', which is a kind of Korean rubbish bag, to put our rubbish in.'

:laugh:

If any of my students (or people I know, for that matter) said anything that perfectly, I think I'd have a heart attack.

As for your hatred of 'delicious,' and 'so-so,' I really don't get it.

So-so must be a really regional thing, because I grew up saying it, and everyone I knew said it. Usually not quite the way it's taught here, though. We didn't usually use it to describe our condition or feeling, but maybe like, "How'd your date go?" "Eh, it was so-so."

It was like a verbal shrug, or an old-fashioned 'meh'.

But, delicious is like, a super normal word? Like, take this show for example: (Contains language that's probably not suitable for listening to on speakers). Skip to 8:35 for an example.

That word has always been pretty commonplace in my life. I mean it's dumb if someone applies it to something that isn't delicious, but like, maybe if you're mad thirsty, water is delicious (it is.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:07:56 PM by #basedcowboyshirt »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5966 on: October 02, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »

If any of my students (or people I know, for that matter) said anything that perfectly, I think I'd have a heart attack.

So-so must be a really regional thing, because I grew up saying it, and everyone I knew said it. Usually not quite the way it's taught here, though. We didn't usually use it to describe our condition or feeling, but maybe like, "How'd your date go?" "Eh, it was so-so."

But, delicious is like, a super normal word? Like, take this show for example: (Contains language that's probably not suitable for listening to on speakers).

http://youtu.be/BUxQeY2xmH0?t=8m35s

That word has always been pretty commonplace in my life. I mean it's dumb if someone applies it to something that isn't delicious, but like, maybe if you're mad thirsty, water is delicious (it is.)

A date, or other experience can be "so-so", but it does sound odd to my ears as a response to "how are you?"

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5967 on: October 02, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »

But, delicious is like, a super normal word? Like, take this show for example: (Contains language that's probably not suitable for listening to on speakers).

http://youtu.be/BUxQeY2xmH0?t=8m35s

A date, or other experience can be "so-so", but it does sound odd to my ears as a response to "how are you?"

Fully agree. I have heard people use it as a response to 'how are you?' or 'how's it going?' but it definitely wasn't common. And it certainly wasn't the catch-all every-response that it's taught as here. Like, nobody says they're so-so. People will be like, "I'm okay, you know, not bad. Decent. Aight." Or some combination thereof.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5968 on: October 02, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
I am sooo, soooooooooooooooooooo shit.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5969 on: October 02, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »

I have two main problems with 'delicious'. Firstly Koreans tend to learn 'delicious food' as a lexical chunk and insert it into virtually any anecdote as a matter of course. They should try and progress from this at some stage of the language learning process. Secondly as an extreme adjective it shouldn't really be used with 'very' and often sounds strange when used with questions and negatives. As previously mentioned a native speaker wouldn't ask 'is it delicious?' or say 'it isn't delicious.' These problems are not a big deal at low levels but are very difficult to get rid of at higher levels when students have to do the IELTS speaking test, for example. 

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5970 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
"My worst food is Cucumber, because it is not delicious."
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5971 on: October 04, 2018, 07:37:42 AM »
...  To me something that is fun makes me smile, I don't remember grinning or laughing during maths at school, not unless my friend farted or something like that.  ...

That made me smile.

Inside every grown man is a 10 year old boy.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5972 on: October 04, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
 >:( Teacher is not fun.

:police: Really know how to tear a man down, Minsu......................

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5973 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Where did the idea that English should be 'fun' come from? School isn't really supposed to be 'fun'.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5974 on: October 04, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
:police:  Minsu, I've seen things you would never believe.  Attack the drop dead donkatsu challenge on the shoulder of Onnuriye.  I watched the attack of a ghost pepper on my stomach lining near the South Gate in Soweolro.  All those moments will be lost in time, like chillies in the rain.  Time to sit down, Minsu.

Waygook Gold.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5975 on: October 04, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
>:( Teacher is not fun.

:police: Really know how to tear a man down, Minsu......................
this is my pet hate, especially when you prepare soemthing and the kids don't even know what they will be doing yet. again, i can't ever imagine saying something like this to my teacher when i was young

well, minsu, i guess you can enjoy a 30 minute test in silence instead then!

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5976 on: October 04, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »
I'm no film buff or critic, but Venom is a BAD movie. Even one of my students came up to me and asked me about it, saying "It has a bad story."

Not gonna lie, I had fun watching it though.
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5977 on: October 04, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
I'm no film buff or critic, but Venom is a BAD movie. Even one of my students came up to me and asked me about it, saying "It has a bad story."

I had to decide between it and "Christopher Robin" last night. Went with "Christopher Robin" because the reviews for "Venom" were ominous.

I'm still gonna watch it, but I don't want to pay premium for it.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5978 on: October 04, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »

I had to decide between it and "Christopher Robin" last night. Went with "Christopher Robin" because the reviews for "Venom" were ominous.

I'm still gonna watch it, but I don't want to pay premium for it.

Christopher Robin looks really good. Venom looks like hot trash and also seems completely uninteresting.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5979 on: October 04, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Christopher Robin looks really good. Venom looks like hot trash and also seems completely uninteresting.

Much better as a horror movie.