September 21, 2018, 10:09:07 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 770249 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5900 on: July 12, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
My school's 2 week English Camp just got cancelled due to renovations. I now have 2 extra weeks vacation. Also i have the staff room all to myself this year. I can be noisy and play music and many other things you wouldn't do if you had other people working in the same room.

Don't know about your POE but this year mine have sent out official documents saying teachers shouldn't have to do the 1/2 days of work they were required to do before.
Usually one teacher has to be in school to answer the phones and do "stuff" on NEIS but now they can do it from home.

It's caused a little bit of drama in some schools around my area. Some principals are defying the orders saying Teachers should have to come in anyway, however the teachers are fighting back. It's really interesting. Anyway now there will be less people at school during those lonely deskwarming days  :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5901 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
So today's weather is fairly warm, and my students smell soooo ****** much. Their bodies haven't had time to acclimate to the higher temperature because it's been rather mild so far and the weather can't seem to make up its mind about what it wants to do.

Anyone who thinks that Korean sweat doesn't smell needs to take a walk through my school today.

Some of these kids literally smell like they'd just walked through dog crap. But none of them have. Their sweat is just that strange and disgusting today.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:39:43 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5902 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
So today's weather is fairly warm, and my students smell soooo ****** much. Their bodies haven't had time to acclimate to the higher temperature because it's been rather mild so far and the weather can't seem to make up its mind about what it wants to do.

Anyone who thinks that Korean sweat doesn't smell needs to take a walk through my school today.

Some of these kids literally smell like they'd just walked through dog crap. But none of them have. Their sweat is just that strange and disgusting today.

I work in a really low income area, and a lot of these kids' parents clearly neglected teaching them how to bathe, because the smell is awful sometimes. When I worked in richer places, that was never the case. I feel bad for the kids, 'cause that's parents' responsibility, but also, ugh. Stink.

And yeah. I don't know how people from either side of the fence can say Koreans don't get BO. Because like, when you're up against some sweaty dude in the subway and you're having to smell it - you'll believe.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5903 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:22 AM »
Real concerns about moving home: Will I ever stop doing the double wave when I say hello or goodbye?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5904 on: July 13, 2018, 07:27:38 AM »
Real concerns about moving home: Will I ever stop doing the double wave when I say hello or goodbye?

Just call it the 'Brexit Wave' if anyone asks.  Will make Brexit even more annoying.  :wink:

Happy Brexit everyone.  If you want me to stop this, then reverse Brexit!

Offline tylerthegloob

• Veteran
« Reply #5905 on: July 13, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »

I did the double wave in between studying here and coming back to teach. I think you really have to commit, if you're gonna do it. I guess people generally think I'm kind of goofy, so I can get away with it. So... quit or commit. At this point, I don't think I could stop if I tried.

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #5906 on: July 13, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Had the same discussion about bowing. Many people who have moved back we're saying they still have a tendency to do a slight dip on occasion.

donovan

« Reply #5907 on: July 13, 2018, 07:33:19 AM »

haha :laugh: You can just say you're part of the K-wave. I feel like this might get me in trouble in America...

But seriously, I'm going to have to unlearn the bow. I plan to blame it on stomach cramps until I can get it under control.

This topic might deserve its own thread.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:42:57 AM by donovan »

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5908 on: July 13, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »
I know some of you complain that the teachers will open windows and have AC blowing at the same time. That's currently the case in my office.

My students literally walked in and asked me why it was like that. I shrugged going "I don't know." And they told me it would be better to close the windows. I was amazed at the more logical idea being made by my kids in this situation.  :huh:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5909 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
For me it'll be the raising my other hand thing that'll be hard to quit.

I catch myself doing it while on vacation, it's become involuntary.

@ JVPrice: Maybe next generation we'll have kids who'll take off their coats first before complaining about the heat. xD
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:38:23 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5910 on: July 13, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »

I catch myself doing it while on vacation, it's become involuntary.

@ JVPrice: Maybe next generation we'll have kids who'll take off their coats first before complaining about the heat. xD

I automatically nod to people if we make eye contact. It's irritating.

I also catch myself saying 응 a lot in conversations, and occasionally a random 네.

donovan

« Reply #5911 on: July 13, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »

What's that thing? As part of a double wave?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5912 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »

Maybe she means using both hand when giving or receiving something? I know I still do that when I go home to visit, and my Dad makes fun of me every time he sees me do it.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5913 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

Any variation of this.

I also catch myself saying 응 a lot in conversations, and occasionally a random 네.

I don't have a problem with the first because I actually don't do it often enough, lol. Stopped trying when too many people kept ignoring me and not returning it.

I do have a problem with the second thing, though. My brother actually pointed it out to me while I face-timed him the other day. Told me that I have the native "grunt" down and that I can probably start communicating with some family members now without ever having to say a real word.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5914 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
School: doesn't turn on lights ever because too it's too expensive
Also school: leaves lights on in teachers room for 12 hours 

School: doesn't let classrooms use A/C because it's too expensive and ceiling fans are too loud
Also school: every teachers room has the A/C set to 18 and runs it all day

I'll never understand lol

Its louder when all the kids are whining it's too hot and have 25 bunny fans running than it is to just turn on my ceiling fan.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #5915 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »

In the UK that's kind of normal, to give a little nod when you walk past someone you know but not very well. Couple it with an 'alright?' and you've had a full blown conversation  :police:

Its louder when all the kids are whining it's too hot and have 25 bunny fans running than it is to just turn on my ceiling fan.

How's your school been since you made the transition to teaching normal classes? Any improvement?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5916 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »

School: doesn't let classrooms use A/C because it's too expensive and ceiling fans are too loud

The other day, I was watching this British reality show where court bailiffs try to collect outstanding debts from debtors. One of the cases was to collect from a Korean hagwon type of business operating in London, I'm guessing they taught Korean students who were sent from Korea to study in the UK.
Anyway's, the Korean ladies running the place refused to pay the bailiffs, who were being professional and polite. The bailiffs informed them that if they didn't receive payment, legally they would have no choice but to repossess assets on the premises in lieu of payment. The bailiff turned on the lights in one of the rooms so he could write down the inventory.

The Korean woman absolutely throws a fit, claiming he's running up her bill and asking him who would pay for it.
She then calls the cops and makes accusations that the bailiffs were being violent. The poor bailiffs were completely baffled, their first Korean experience.

Back to Korea, I had the same issue at my Thursday school.
My CT would turn on the AC every 10min, leave it on for 2min, and then switch it off. The students were absolutely miserable and getting them to study was near impossible. Of course, the little lounge attached to the staff room (which is vacant for 90% of the day) was like the inside of a damn freezer.     

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5917 on: July 13, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »

yes. korea is full of strange contradictions like this

install a new samsung air con unit into all 50 classrooms (at my old school) --> sorry, air con is too expensive to use (except the principal's office)

get shouted at for leaving the fan on overnight (new school) --> same teacher turns on air con and opens all the windows all day

eating with your hands is dirty --> oh but arbitrary foods like lettuce is okay to eat with your hands, of course

you didn't wash your apple before eating it? that's dirty --> doesn't wash hands after going to the bathroom

you must wear indoor shoes at school --> wears indoor shoes to the bathroom, and in the playground

western food is too salty --> dips meat into pure salt, while eating 된장찌개 and using soy sauce dips

koreans care for their elderly more than western countries --> 75 year old woman picking up cardboard outside

you should speak better korean --> laughs at me when i try and speak korean (this is the worst one)

i feel like such a whiner these days. need a break   :cry:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5918 on: July 13, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »

The other day, I was watching this British reality show where court bailiffs try to collect outstanding debts from debtors. One of the cases was to collect from a Korean hagwon type of business operating in London, I'm guessing they taught Korean students who were sent from Korea to study in the UK.
Anyway's, the Korean ladies running the place refused to pay the bailiffs, who were being professional and polite. The bailiffs informed them that if they didn't receive payment, legally they would have no choice but to repossess assets on the premises in lieu of payment. The bailiff turned on the lights in one of the rooms so he could write down the inventory.

The Korean woman absolutely throws a fit, claiming he's running up her bill and asking him who would pay for it.
She then calls the cops and makes accusations that the bailiffs were being violent. The poor bailiffs were completely baffled, their first Korean experience.

Back to Korea, I had the same issue at my Thursday school.
My CT would turn on the AC every 10min, leave it on for 2min, and then switch it off. The students were absolutely miserable and getting them to study was near impossible. Of course, the little lounge attached to the staff room (which is vacant for 90% of the day) was like the inside of a damn freezer.     

I just wanted to say that I stumbled upon that show on Youtube yesterday (100% randomly). It is called something like Can't Pay, We Take it Away. I like it, and plan to watch an episode later on today. I also like the airport customs shows...pretty good.

donovan

« Reply #5919 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Korea is full of strange contradictions like this

Expects you to conform to their culture --> Does not offer you a place in that culture despite best efforts to conform.