November 21, 2018, 02:11:20 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 816533 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5900 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:00:43 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5901 on: September 18, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »
Hello Mr.Demartino, you might not want to reveal too many details but I've always been curious...what field of work are you in now?

I've always wondered what kind of job allows you to read and post on here all day, every day, without ever taking a break?  Also...are they looking for more people because teaching is getting a bit tiring and I'd like a nice break  :wink:
Without giving away too many details, basically my job gives me long streteches of boredom with little to do, punctuated by a periodic 'hell week'.

Ah cool, I didn't realise you were a teacher.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5902 on: September 18, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
Anyone else's schools having students do mid-terms right before Chuseok?

I think mine are doing it the week after Chuseok, but my co-teacher needed a class of mine last week to prepare for mid-terms, but classes haven't been cancelled for this week, so I'm assuming they are after Chuseok.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5903 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Kind of a rant, but not angered enough to post it there.......... haha

We're teaching the song Thunder by Imagine용 to the 5s and 6s. We have a video on youtube that shows the lyrics in English................ and in hangeul.

So for thunder, you'd think they'd hangeulise it 썬더, right? Nope.................

떤덜, 필더 떤덜 (DRUM DRUM DRUM)

Just..................... no. Dawn Doll, Peel the Done Doll (BANG BANG BANG)

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5904 on: September 18, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Hello Mr.Demartino, you might not want to reveal too many details but I've always been curious...what field of work are you in now?

I've always wondered what kind of job allows you to read and post on here all day, every day, without ever taking a break?  Also...are they looking for more people because teaching is getting a bit tiring and I'd like a nice break  :wink:
Without giving away too many details, basically my job gives me long streteches of boredom with little to do, punctuated by a periodic 'hell week'.

Ah cool, I didn't realise you were a teacher.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes and no. I work two jobs, one of which involves teaching (and no, the other isn't flipping burgers or tending bar).

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5905 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »
So for thunder, you'd think they'd hangeulise it 썬더, right? Nope.................
To be fair, most European languages that lack the "th" sound also pronounce it as a "d" sound.

Yes and no. I work two jobs, one of which involves teaching (and no, the other isn't flipping burgers or tending bar).
An agent of the Korean Ministry of Culture, cyber division? If so, stellar job! Although you failed to out those Russkie provocateurs that were hanging around on Waygook for a year or two.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:49:00 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5906 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
To be fair, most European languages that lack the "th" sound also pronounce it as a "d" sound.

Who eeze dat guy over dere?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5907 on: September 18, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »

That sounds like an evil German aristocrat impersonating an evil French aristocrat.

Also, I wanna modify my comment to "most unRomantic European languages"
Ze French, zey speak ze "th" like ze "z". Alzough come to zink of it, ozer times zey say ze "th" as a "t" such as when zey speak of ze atlétique té at ze discotèque.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5908 on: September 18, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »

That sounds like an evil German aristocrat impersonating an evil French aristocrat.

Also, I wanna modify my comment to "most unRomantic European languages"
Ze French, zey speak ze "th" like ze "z". Alzough come to zink of it, ozer times zey say ze "th" as a "t" such as when zey speak of ze atlétique té at ze discotèque.

Haha, the Quebecois absolutely do the D for the th. French use the z, that's true. I had a French teacher for IR in my fourth year, she sounded so cute.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5909 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
Haha, the Quebecois absolutely do the D for the th. French use the z, that's true. I had a French teacher for IR in my fourth year, she sounded so cute.
  I had an Italian French teacher, a German French teacher, and a Russian French teacher. All of them were doing their darndest to teach us Quebecois French. No wonder I got so many strange looks when kicking about in France (although, surprisingly, I didn't have too much trouble understanding them).  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5910 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
Kind of a rant, but not angered enough to post it there.......... haha

We're teaching the song Thunder by Imagine용 to the 5s and 6s. We have a video on youtube that shows the lyrics in English................ and in hangeul.

Whoever made those subs was dumb and also bad.

Usually Koreans do hangeulize it as 썬더.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5911 on: September 18, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Me: "Remind me that I don't need to buy this $4300 guitar."
Friend A: "Tim, you don't need to buy that $4300 guitar."
Friend B: "YOLO."

My bank account right now:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5912 on: September 18, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »

My bank account right now:

I kind of know what you mean, but mine is coming from a bit more necessity. I am not looking forward to buying another car... :cry:

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5913 on: September 18, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »

But, you'll get years of fun out of it as it's a physical thing.  I find paying money for flights is something that grates a little, even though we have a lovely time, I'm paying it off for a while with nothing to show for it except memories.

I'm not sure about your age, but this seems like the opposite of how a lot of younger people think i.e. they'd rather pay for memories than "stuff".

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5914 on: September 18, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »

But, you'll get years of fun out of it as it's a physical thing.  I find paying money for flights is something that grates a little, even though we have a lovely time, I'm paying it off for a while with nothing to show for it except memories.

I actually paid more than the price of the guitar in question on the last plane tickets I bought, hahaha. I super hate flying, so I'm not above forking over the cash for business class when I can afford it.  Every little bit of comfort and luxury helps. :laugh:

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5915 on: September 18, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

I actually paid more than the price of the guitar in question on the last plane tickets I bought, hahaha. I super hate flying, so I'm not above forking over the cash for business class when I can afford it.  Every little bit of comfort and luxury helps. :laugh:

Expensive guitar I can completely understand.

Paying for business class? I'll never get it.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5916 on: September 18, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »

We can't all fly without severe anxiety, I guess.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5917 on: September 18, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »

If you keep an eye on prices, the difference between economy and business can be as little as 200 000 won.  I don't mean booking a Korean air flight that the economy ticket is 2 million and the business is 4 million per ticket.  A small margin is well worth it.  Also I have to buy two tickets, for me and the Mrs.

Ah yeah, I've never seen a margin that small. Short flights I'm fine to suffer through economy. Long flights, It always seems to be almost double for a business class ticket versus economy, from my experiences.

I do sometimes pay extra for a meal during the flight, though, if one's not included in the price.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5918 on: September 18, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
Short flights I'm fine to suffer through economy.

Yeah, if I was just hopping over to Japan or something I doubt I'd bother forking over for business. As it stands, though, I only ever fly home to visit family, and that's at least a 13 hour flight, depending on head/tailwinds. That's a bit much for me, when I know I could've paid for a better experience. I'd much rather deal with my anxiety sitting in a pod with a lay-flat seat and no neighbors, than crammed between people in a tiny seat that I'll feel guilty about reclining even a little bit in.

And yes, the food is much better in business. The gift sets are pretty nice, too.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5919 on: September 19, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
The ol' CT texts me last night to tell me the schedule was changed and that one my 2nd period class would take place during my 1st period (which is already occupied by another class). You'd think that it means that the 1st class is replaced. No.

8 minutes into the class, my other CT comes saying that my other class was waiting for me. Find it hard to believe when my CT keeps my schedule literally right in front of her, but I digress.
The World Ends With You