February 22, 2019, 10:48:13 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 902355 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5820 on: September 10, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
It's not super select but it's the best without spending 65 000 on a bottle.

Hwayo 25. Seriously. Based, back me up on this. Store? 11 or 12000. Resto......... 20-23000?

I have actually seen Hwayo available overseas, too, in some fancy liquor stores. So I dunno if that's a dealbreaker for waygook.org user Chinguetti.

Haha, thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Yeah, generally anything that can be found easily in a chain grocery or convenience store here can also be found in the States at your local asian mart or liquor store. For the most part. Especially in the areas where there is a large Korean community. My brother has easy access to those, and I don't want to load down a box with something he can just buy at home. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a higher quality soju as long as it's not anything too crazy. Anything under 150k won is doable for me, as long as it's worth it.

But it's not a dealbreaker, it's definitely something I'll tell my brother to look out for the next time he goes shopping because it might be priced like a fine liquor at home (12k here, $60 in the States = no), in which case I'll probably end up sticking a bottle into my next shipment anyway.

Thanks again!

The problem with fancy soju is diminishing returns.

You've got your basic stuff.

Then for like 500 won more, you can get the fancy basic stuff. Which honestly is better. You can taste the difference.

Then you get up to the Hwayo level, where it's like 15-25,000 per bottle. And that's the biggest jump in quality. Smooth, drinkable, doesn't taste like chemicals. Tastes good on the rocks, or even neat. You don't even have to shoot it, because it's honestly pretty tasty.

And then you can go to the fancy liquor sections in some of the department stores (I think Shinsegae has been putting 'traditional Korean liquor' stalls in some of their places. Or maybe it was Hyundai. Anyways.) and then you're getting pretty much top-of-the-line stuff, but at the same time, you're paying a huge premium for the presentation, packaging, and marketing, for a taste that isn't dramatically different than what you'd get with a bottle of Hwayo for a fraction of the price.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5821 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
It's not super select but it's the best without spending 65 000 on a bottle.

Hwayo 25. Seriously. Based, back me up on this. Store? 11 or 12000. Resto......... 20-23000?

I have actually seen Hwayo available overseas, too, in some fancy liquor stores. So I dunno if that's a dealbreaker for waygook.org user Chinguetti.

Haha, thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Yeah, generally anything that can be found easily in a chain grocery or convenience store here can also be found in the States at your local asian mart or liquor store. For the most part. Especially in the areas where there is a large Korean community. My brother has easy access to those, and I don't want to load down a box with something he can just buy at home. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a higher quality soju as long as it's not anything too crazy. Anything under 150k won is doable for me, as long as it's worth it.

But it's not a dealbreaker, it's definitely something I'll tell my brother to look out for the next time he goes shopping because it might be priced like a fine liquor at home (12k here, $60 in the States = no), in which case I'll probably end up sticking a bottle into my next shipment anyway.

Thanks again!

Then for like 500 won more, you can get the fancy basic stuff. Which honestly is better. You can taste the difference.

Then you get up to the Hwayo level, where it's like 15-25,000 per bottle. And that's the biggest jump in quality. Smooth, drinkable, doesn't taste like chemicals. Tastes good on the rocks, or even neat. You don't even have to shoot it, because it's honestly pretty tasty.

And then you can go to the fancy liquor sections in some of the department stores (I think Shinsegae has been putting 'traditional Korean liquor' stalls in some of their places. Or maybe it was Hyundai. Anyways.) and then you're getting pretty much top-of-the-line stuff, but at the same time, you're paying a huge premium for the presentation, packaging, and marketing, for a taste that isn't dramatically different than what you'd get with a bottle of Hwayo for a fraction of the price.
Same with whisky, or wine, or headphones.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5822 on: September 10, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
The most overrated Korean food is 삼겹살. All fatty and often boney

Change my mind

Samgyupsal IS overrated. 목살 is the better cut. That being said, if you want good samgyupsal, you have to make sure it's fresh and that the ratio of meat-to-fat is acceptable. I also prefer a thicker cut that takes longer to cook. Pork belly is a fine cut, but it is overplayed here. I think part of the problem is that it's the only one a lot of people know and they're scared to order anything else off the menu, so you get stuck with it. People who know their stuff know to change it up and rather than order 6 servings of samgyupsal, to instead get a variety.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #5823 on: September 10, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »
Same with whisky, or wine, or headphones.

Yeah, my headphones are 640 000W, and I have heard the Senn HD800s. They are 2 000 000 .

They are NOT 3x better than mine. Hahahaha Mine are 50% better than the 300 000W ones. The HD800s are 50% better than mine.

Diminishing returns indeed.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5824 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
What BTS really need is some military service!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/k-pop-south-korean-stars-bts-conscription-debate

Personally, I think if something is mandatory for 1, it should be for all.
Obviously, there should be exceptions, for things like disabilities and stuff.
But, if you make exceptions because someone played sports; or made a band and got famous; etc. it makes it unfair on the others that still have to do it, IMO.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5825 on: September 10, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
How did bibimbap and bulgogi become the posterchildren of Korean food promoted abroad? Bibimbap was literally created first by using 반찬 leftovers, and barely even qualifies as like, a recipe or dish, and bulgogi is just... underwhelming? Has anyone ever eaten bulgogi and been like, "Oh my god, this is so delicious"?

Bibimbap can be great, but at the end of the day, it really is just rice with 반찬 on it.

I feel like they're two of the most overrated Korean foods. Also samgyeopsal is up there. It's usually really low grade pork belly. If the place actually uses good meat, it can be good, but Korean BBQ restaurants are usually pretty much the lowest common denominator of food.

What do you feel are the most overrated Korean foods?

And if you're just going to come in here and say, "Bawww all Korean food is bad it's so bad UGH it's not REFINED and it's such an INFERIOR CUISINE UGHHHH" then just don't bother. I'm asking people who actually like and appreciate Korean food.

I can't eat a lot of Korean foods because of the spiciness. I have a super low tolerance to spicy foods, so even mild is often too much for me.
So foods like bibimbap, samgyapsal, etc are pretty good to me. Also I have food allergies, and have to be careful about what I eat.
I'm not sure I could say what is overrated, as there is a lot I haven't been able to eat.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5826 on: September 10, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »

Change my mind

Samgyupsal IS overrated. 목살 is the better cut. That being said, if you want good samgyupsal, you have to make sure it's fresh and that the ratio of meat-to-fat is acceptable. I also prefer a thicker cut that takes longer to cook. Pork belly is a fine cut, but it is overplayed here. I think part of the problem is that it's the only one a lot of people know and they're scared to order anything else off the menu, so you get stuck with it. People who know their stuff know to change it up and rather than order 6 servings of samgyupsal, to instead get a variety.
목살 is better, with 갈매기살 being the best. You're probably right - people just stick with what they know

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5827 on: September 10, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from a lot of the modern brands for pretty much this reason.

I was hoping for brands that are a little more on the traditional and specialized side, like Andong soju. I think the most I've spent on soju so far was for around 40k, but it was a two-pack on sale. Can't remember the name, but it's in a fancy green bottle with a bell on it or maybe shaped like a bell... something to do with a bell. This is the soju my brother likes the most so far, although Andong soju is a lot stronger.

EDIT: Confirmed, it was a Lee Gang Ju soju. I think they may have one specifically formulated for the Jeonju area, too, I think I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:56:53 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5828 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »

Change my mind

Personally I do think it tastes good, but I do hate that there can still often be bits of bone in it.
I try to avoid those pieces haha. (or I just eat around it if alone)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5829 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
I really like 삼겹살. But then I stick to places that have good quality meats and fresh everything else. Or just do homemade.

I prefer black pork belly to regular pork belly for 삼겹살, personally.

Also, while the meat is traditionally cooked plain for you to dip into sauces and oils afterwards, you can get seasoned and marinated options, too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:02:51 PM by Chinguetti »

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5830 on: September 10, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
*Walking down the hallway*

Student: Teacher! What is your favorite color?

Me: Green!

Student: Me too!

Me: *Not hearing the response at first* What's your favorite color??

Student: Violet!

:-[
The World Ends With You

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5831 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Some exchanges I had today:

Me: How are you today?
Student: (To his friend, in Korean) <<What did he say?>>

---------------------------

Me: *Gives students candy because they did some cleaning*
Student: (To her friend, in Korean) <<How do you say "thank you" in English?>>

Both of those examples were middle school third graders.

Seriously, why am I even here doing this?

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5832 on: September 10, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »

You're here to fulfill the illusion that Korean students actually learn proper English
The World Ends With You

sligo

« Reply #5833 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
What BTS really need is some military service!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/k-pop-south-korean-stars-bts-conscription-debate

Personally, I think if something is mandatory for 1, it should be for all.
Obviously, there should be exceptions, for things like disabilities and stuff.
But, if you make exceptions because someone played sports; or made a band and got famous; etc. it makes it unfair on the others that still have to do it, IMO.

Or have a vagina...

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5834 on: September 10, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »

I get that every week from a grade 1 middle school girl at my travel school:
Me: Hello!
Student: *asks another student what I said*

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5835 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
I get a rush every time I buy something on-line using my Korean credit card; it is the same feeling I used to get hacking into somebody else's computer, only it is just buying a shirt with my own card.

I don't get the same feeling from Amazon or other places that save the card, but a new vendor is always a thrill!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5836 on: September 11, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
Yes @ the willful ignorance of some students. Once they get to a certain age, they have no excuse. They literally have to put in effort to be that ignorant with all that's been made available to them for so long. Still, that's their prerogative. It'll catch up to some of them eventually, and they'll learn then.

With that in mind, I'm a little worried about my attitude towards the students in my classes lately. I've always been on the hard-nosed side, but I still try to keep it as casual and laid-back as possible in my classes so that students will be comfortable enough to try, even if they risk making mistakes.

But lately I've been coming down pretty hard on them for classroom behavior related issues, and I'm not sure if that's because they've been testing me more, or if I'm just losing my patience. I can't really tell atm. I need to take a step back to figure things out, I think, but I need to do it in a way so that problem students won't see it as me going soft.

I honestly feel like I need to read The Art of War.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5837 on: September 11, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »
You got the 2nd semester cranks. It's been happening to me, too. I have zero patience for kids doing the same dumb BS that they've been doing for the past semester (or year. Or years).

Yeah, that's probably it. It just seems to be hitting me harder this year vs. in previous years.

On the plus side, a lot of these kids jump higher and faster whenever I say something than when the KTs do.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #5838 on: September 11, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
today, for the first time, i saw my schools zoo/farm?  including (but not limited to): some chickens, a peacock, a dog, a couple deer, a family of ducks, a goat, and a bunch of fruit trees. and a small driving range. ?!?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5839 on: September 11, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »
today, for the first time, i saw my schools zoo/farm?  including (but not limited to): some chickens, a peacock, a dog, a couple deer, a family of ducks, a goat, and a bunch of fruit trees. and a small driving range. ?!?

That's pretty neat. Wish my school had had one.

Hope they have a boot scrape.