December 11, 2018, 03:28:50 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846444 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5800 on: September 07, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
How did bibimbap and bulgogi become the posterchildren of Korean food promoted abroad? Bibimbap was literally created first by using 반찬 leftovers, and barely even qualifies as like, a recipe or dish, and bulgogi is just... underwhelming? Has anyone ever eaten bulgogi and been like, "Oh my god, this is so delicious"?

Bibimbap can be great, but at the end of the day, it really is just rice with 반찬 on it.

I feel like they're two of the most overrated Korean foods. Also samgyeopsal is up there. It's usually really low grade pork belly. If the place actually uses good meat, it can be good, but Korean BBQ restaurants are usually pretty much the lowest common denominator of food.

What do you feel are the most overrated Korean foods?

And if you're just going to come in here and say, "Bawww all Korean food is bad it's so bad UGH it's not REFINED and it's such an INFERIOR CUISINE UGHHHH" then just don't bother. I'm asking people who actually like and appreciate Korean food.

I love bibimbap, but I'm not going to pretend that it's some kind of magic. hahaha It's rice, gochujang and veggies. Spicy rice salad. haha

Also, I hate kimbap so much. It's the worst of everything rolled up into a tube of disappointment. There's also the mental block of thinking "sushi roll" and then having yellow radish come through on your bite. Gross.

Overrated? Yeah, bbq. I like it, but samgyeopsal is not good, 9 times out of 10. Gimme some moksal, gabeurisal, hanegjeongsal. Those are all good. And spend a little more, folks. 12 000W for all you can eat samgyeopsay is not something to triumph, you get EXACTLY what you pay for. Spend 15 for less meat and it'll actually be a good evening out.

We're on the same page so exactly right here.

And also, if you go to a good place, and pay a good place price, samgyeopsal can be amazing - if it's also being cooked by someone who doesn't suck at cooking at it. But getting all those things to happen at the same time is next to impossible. You're totally right that 9/10 times it's just hot trash.

Also what's that last meat you mentioned? I either can't recognize it or can't figure out your romanization.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5801 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
Also what's that last meat you mentioned? I either can't recognize it or can't figure out your romanization.

Ah shit, HANGJEONGsal (항정)

Usually if you go to a place with Gabeuri or Hangjeong, they give enough of a shit about their food that you'll have a good meal.

I find a lot of Jeju pork places are decent. And they usually have a good selection of cuts. My friend and I went to a plce in Yeosu and it was bloody incredible.......... and it was 80 000 for the two of us (with a bottle of Hwayo 25 soj)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5802 on: September 07, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »

Ah shit, HANGJEONGsal (항정)

Usually if you go to a place with Gabeuri or Hangjeong, they give enough of a shit about their food that you'll have a good meal.

I find a lot of Jeju pork places are decent. And they usually have a good selection of cuts. My friend and I went to a plce in Yeosu and it was bloody incredible.......... and it was 80 000 for the two of us (with a bottle of Hwayo 25 soj)

Hwayo is so good.

Also, have you tried any of those newer cheaper 'premium' sojus? There's Jinro Gold, the ones that are supposedly made in oak casks, and there's one other. I forget the actual names. But they're sold in the same section as your standard sojus. And they're only like 200 won more at the store. And the quality is actually... kind of decent? I don't even bother buying regular soju anymore. But at restaurants the price difference is too much to justify.

I skip the Jeju pork places. They ARE good. Often. But they're just waaaaay too overpriced.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5803 on: September 07, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
How did bibimbap and bulgogi become the posterchildren of Korean food promoted abroad? Bibimbap was literally created first by using 반찬 leftovers, and barely even qualifies as like, a recipe or dish, and bulgogi is just... underwhelming? Has anyone ever eaten bulgogi and been like, "Oh my god, this is so delicious"?

Bibimbap can be great, but at the end of the day, it really is just rice with 반찬 on it.

I feel like they're two of the most overrated Korean foods. Also samgyeopsal is up there. It's usually really low grade pork belly. If the place actually uses good meat, it can be good, but Korean BBQ restaurants are usually pretty much the lowest common denominator of food.

And if you're just going to come in here and say, "Bawww all Korean food is bad it's so bad UGH it's not REFINED and it's such an INFERIOR CUISINE UGHHHH" then just don't bother. I'm asking people who actually like and appreciate Korean food.

I get some flack for not gushing about Korean food even though there's a lot I like (the same with Korean music and TV but that's another story). I think you're right about bibimbap and bulgogi being overrated. I love meat generally but I don't find myself hankering for some bulgogi. You'll find me in the free-refill samgyeopsal place at least once a week, though  ;D

Most overrated: shabu-shabu. Am I the only one who thinks it's just a thin, disappointing stew? Plus I can never get enough meat at those restaurants. Also, an honorable mention to rice-cakes. I will never forgive you for having 'cake' in your name. They're one of the least inspired ways of getting calories into your body that I can think of.

Most underrated: 전 (jeon) and 막걸리 (makgeolli). Found an all-you-cant eat 전 restaurant near me and it's changed my life.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5804 on: September 07, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
Also, have you tried any of those newer cheaper 'premium' sojus? There's Jinro Gold, the ones that are supposedly made in oak casks, and there's one other. I forget the actual names. But they're sold in the same section as your standard sojus. And they're only like 200 won more at the store. And the quality is actually... kind of decent? I don't even bother buying regular soju anymore. But at restaurants the price difference is too much to justify.

The Gold one with the frog? That shit is like 24%! haha

That oak cask one is bomb. We were on Daebudo and they had one left in the fridge. I asked the waitress for one and she looked confused. Comes back 3 mins later. "What are you talking about?" I go to the fridge and show her. "One minute." WTF is going on, haha.

The company sent that to us months ago as a sample. We had no idea what it was.

WELL, good thing I know what's going on! haha. That oak cask stuff has such a smooth vanilla note to it, so much better and, like you said, only 200W more.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #5805 on: September 07, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »

The Gold one with the frog? That shit is like 24%! haha

That oak cask one is bomb. We were on Daebudo and they had one left in the fridge. I asked the waitress for one and she looked confused. Comes back 3 mins later. "What are you talking about?" I go to the fridge and show her. "One minute." WTF is going on, haha.

The company sent that to us months ago as a sample. We had no idea what it was.

WELL, good thing I know what's going on! haha. That oak cask stuff has such a smooth vanilla note to it, so much better and, like you said, only 200W more.

I gotta get hip to this. What is the oak cask soju called and where can I find it?

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5806 on: September 07, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »

I get some flack for not gushing about Korean food even though there's a lot I like (the same with Korean music and TV but that's another story). I think you're right about bibimbap and bulgogi being overrated. I love meat generally but I don't find myself hankering for some bulgogi. You'll find me in the free-refill samgyeopsal place at least once a week, though  ;D

Most overrated: shabu-shabu. Am I the only one who thinks it's just a thin, disappointing stew? Plus I can never get enough meat at those restaurants. Also, an honorable mention to rice-cakes. I will never forgive you for having 'cake' in your name. They're one of the least inspired ways of getting calories into your body that I can think of.

Most underrated: 전 (jeon) and 막걸리 (makgeolli). Found an all-you-cant eat 전 restaurant near me and it's changed my life.

Korean shabu-shabu is super disappointing, especially they just dump EVERYTHING in all at the same time.

Shabu-shabu is supposed to be a slow meal where you cook one shaving of meat at a time in the soup, and the soup slowly, SLOWLY, builds up its flavour from all the different stuff your dip-cooking in it. It's not supposed to a 'dump a bunch of stuff in a pot all at once' type thing.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5807 on: September 07, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »

Korean shabu-shabu is super disappointing, especially they just dump EVERYTHING in all at the same time.

Shabu-shabu is supposed to be a slow meal where you cook one shaving of meat at a time in the soup, and the soup slowly, SLOWLY, builds up its flavour from all the different stuff your dip-cooking in it. It's not supposed to a 'dump a bunch of stuff in a pot all at once' type thing.

Ah, that explains that then. Kind of like the Korean approach to pastas.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5808 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »

Ah, that explains that then. Kind of like the Korean approach to pastas.

Yeah. Shabu-shabu is one of my favourite foods.
And it's good in Korea if a) they don't overseason the broth, and b) you're eating with yourself and just friends or something and you can make sure you make and eat it properly.

Otherwise, hard disappointment.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5809 on: September 07, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
I gotta get hip to this. What is the oak cask soju called and where can I find it?

Honestly, Emart always has it. THEREFORE so should Lotte and Homeplus. hahah

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5810 on: September 07, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »

YEAHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Let's go out!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5811 on: September 07, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
Underated: 콩국수- One of the best Korean foods out there in my opinion.옻닭 is delicious. 고등어조림 is terrific.
Overrated (by Koreans): 비빔밥, 잔치국수. Anything with 갈치.

Special mention hot takes: Korean fried chicken such as BHC or BBQ is overrated. 통닭 is underrated. An ice cold frosted glass of Cass/Hite with your bbq on a hot summer night (only circumstance where they pass muster).

I don't think Korean bbq is so much about the food as it is about the atmosphere. It's all about relaxing with some booze and maybe there's a game on the TV. You get to sit around and cook stuff up and talk and get a meat fix in after a lunch of carbs. It's a social experience- people talking and laughing and unwinding.

Most all you can eats suck unless they actually use fresh meat. If it's frozen, stay away. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:24:12 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5812 on: September 07, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
Also, an honorable mention to rice-cakes. I will never forgive you for having 'cake' in your name. They're one of the least inspired ways of getting calories into your body that I can think of.

Super Like
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5813 on: September 07, 2018, 03:26:53 PM »
Speaking of soju, does anyone know of a good quality soju that would be difficult to impossible to find overseas? Preferably one that might be wellknown or popular in Korea because it's from a specific region or city and has a unique flavor or taste as a result, or an unknown gem that may not register on lists but, quality-wise, can rival any of the known brands. Just as long as it's not something you can typically find in a grocery or convenience store around the country.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:29:00 PM by Chinguetti »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5814 on: September 07, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
Speaking of soju, does anyone know of a good quality soju that would be difficult to impossible to find overseas? Preferably one that might be wellknown or popular in Korea because it's from a specific region or city and has a unique flavor or taste as a result, or an unknown gem that may not register on lists but, quality-wise, can rival any of the known brands. Just as long as it's not something you can typically find in a grocery or convenience store around the country.

It's not super select but it's the best without spending 65 000 on a bottle.

Hwayo 25. Seriously. Based, back me up on this. Store? 11 or 12000. Resto......... 20-23000?

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5815 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
Underated: 콩국수- One of the best Korean foods out there in my opinion.옻닭 is delicious. 고등어조림 is terrific.
Overrated (by Koreans): 비빔밥, 잔치국수. Anything with 갈치.

Special mention hot takes: Korean fried chicken such as BHC or BBQ is overrated. 통닭 is underrated. An ice cold frosted glass of Cass/Hite with your bbq on a hot summer night (only circumstance where they pass muster).

I don't think Korean bbq is so much about the food as it is about the atmosphere. It's all about relaxing with some booze and maybe there's a game on the TV. You get to sit around and cook stuff up and talk and get a meat fix in after a lunch of carbs. It's a social experience- people talking and laughing and unwinding.

Most all you can eats suck unless they actually use fresh meat. If it's frozen, stay away.

옻닭 is so good. Too bad that one blog was trying to tell everyone it's poisonous.

Also, you're right. Most of the franchise chicken places - the big ones at least - are really bad.
And yeah. I get that BBQ is a social thing most of the time, 'cause while it might not be great, it's not something people will refuse to eat. And it is fun.

Also 갈치 was something I hated until I learned the right way to take the bones out. Now I love it.

Also, Max as a beer is sorely underrated. But Cass and Hite are pretty crappy.

Also, seconding Hwayo. It's definitely not like, a super high end soju, but it's seriously drinkable. I like the 25 version, too. At Emart and stuff it's like 12,000ish? They have it at Costco, too. Emart 24s have it, too, and it's like 14,000 for a bottle there.

But!! I have actually seen Hwayo available overseas, too, in some fancy liquor stores. So I dunno if that's a dealbreaker for waygook.org user Chinguetti.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5816 on: September 07, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
The most overrated Korean food is 삼겹살. All fatty and often boney

Change my mind

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5817 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »

If you want good shabu-shabu (and there's *great* shabu out there!) you need to go to one of those fancy-pants do-it-yourself places where you order the meat, and then grab all the other ingredients from the salad bar and basically just make the whole darn thing yourself. There's one in the city close to my village that we sometimes go to, and it's pretty awesome.

Was at a restaurant recently and noticed that the 2,000 won bottle of chamisul rotgut that we were poisoning ourselves as we devoured our slabs of charring fat and gristle had a new label on it: "Filtered with oak charcoal".
Nearly dumped ssamjang all over myself laughing.
Do they actually even filter soju? I though they just mixed pure ethanol with some water and sugar...?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5818 on: September 08, 2018, 11:01:57 PM »
yeah, exactly. when people say they "like" soju, i'm sure what they actually mean is they love the taste of ethanol mixed with water and sugar, which i take to mean they don't actually have any working tastebuds

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5819 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:13 AM »
It's not super select but it's the best without spending 65 000 on a bottle.

Hwayo 25. Seriously. Based, back me up on this. Store? 11 or 12000. Resto......... 20-23000?

I have actually seen Hwayo available overseas, too, in some fancy liquor stores. So I dunno if that's a dealbreaker for waygook.org user Chinguetti.

Haha, thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Yeah, generally anything that can be found easily in a chain grocery or convenience store here can also be found in the States at your local asian mart or liquor store. For the most part. Especially in the areas where there is a large Korean community. My brother has easy access to those, and I don't want to load down a box with something he can just buy at home. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a higher quality soju as long as it's not anything too crazy. Anything under 150k won is doable for me, as long as it's worth it.

But it's not a dealbreaker, it's definitely something I'll tell my brother to look out for the next time he goes shopping because it might be priced like a fine liquor at home (12k here, $60 in the States = no), in which case I'll probably end up sticking a bottle into my next shipment anyway.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:18:06 AM by Chinguetti »