August 22, 2018, 09:33:46 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 746802 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5780 on: June 28, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »
The Catch-22 with classroom games.

The more fun they are, the less kids are able to control themselves, the more you have to stop the game to calm them, the less fun the game becomes. :cry:
That's why I never play really "fun" games, then the students are happy with any game/activity that we do. Or if any student complains a game isn't fun, I stop the entire class and do something really boring for the rest of class. Now they never complain. Gg kids.

It's amazing how "fun" you can make the book material by picking students via a random number generator. It takes more time to get through the material, but everyone sits in rapt attention to see who will be called next/ who will be paired with whom. Helps to give gender-opposite roles for practice dialogs as well. Lately I try to leave as little time as necessary for the game at the end of class. Sixth graders can handle games, but 5th graders are still just too giddy. :sad:

Yessss. I also started using it much more, and it also keeps middle schoolers relatively on edge. There is one that kind of has sound and slows down like Wheel of Fortune (it came with the CD), and it works like a charm.
nice. care to share?

donovan

« Reply #5781 on: June 28, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Speaking of sexual angst and man/woman/other relationships, I'm compiling a few short videos (Pixar etc) for my Summer camp so that I can start formulating worksheets, activities, themes etc.

I really really really really like this one (I laughed *so* hard when I first watched it) for my G2 middle school boys, but would appreciate a second opinion from y'all: is it too much? Not enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5MmhLQBng

Not sure what's wrong with me. As a middle school I would have loved this video, but now I found the imagery a bit much to handle. If you can get past the gore, which I'm sure most middle school boys would have no trouble doing, it's got a message that they might enjoy grappling with.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5782 on: June 28, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »

The more fun they are, the less kids are able to control themselves, the more you have to stop the game to calm them, the less fun the game becomes. :cry:
That's why I never play really "fun" games, then the students are happy with any game/activity that we do. Or if any student complains a game isn't fun, I stop the entire class and do something really boring for the rest of class. Now they never complain. Gg kids.

It's amazing how "fun" you can make the book material by picking students via a random number generator. It takes more time to get through the material, but everyone sits in rapt attention to see who will be called next/ who will be paired with whom. Helps to give gender-opposite roles for practice dialogs as well. Lately I try to leave as little time as necessary for the game at the end of class. Sixth graders can handle games, but 5th graders are still just too giddy. :sad:

Yessss. I also started using it much more, and it also keeps middle schoolers relatively on edge. There is one that kind of has sound and slows down like Wheel of Fortune (it came with the CD), and it works like a charm.
nice. care to share?

Don't know how, it is just on the Middle School English CD, maybe 지학사 2012, or the Christian Kim one. It is an older one though. I have been done wit the book for a bit and haven't used it super recently.

donovan

« Reply #5783 on: June 28, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »

nice. care to share?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5784 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

nice. care to share?
nice. i'll use this tomorrow. why do i see the attachments without paying for the subscription?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5785 on: June 28, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

Oooo, middle schoolers. Try explaining the sexual angst that provides an undercurrent to all the man/woman video dialogs.

Speaking of sexual angst. 2 of my middle schoolers became boyfriend and girlfriend a couple weeks ago. Apparently, they are already to the point, where they are frequently missing classes to see the school councilor due to them fighting all the time. :\ I only see them once a week, but that's what my co-T told me. :o

donovan

« Reply #5786 on: June 28, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »

nice. care to share?
nice. i'll use this tomorrow. why do i see the attachments without paying for the subscription?

Because it's not in the 'Lesson Plans' section. :undecided:

Online alexisalex

• Adventurer
« Reply #5787 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
Does anyone know the overtime rate if you have to teach after school classes (so your day is over eight hours)?  But the after school classes make up your 22 classes and don't actually put you over that amount.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5788 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »
Does anyone ever actually enjoy going to meetings? I've never met anyone who does. Convinced that they're a creation of the establishment just to give people something to hate in unison over. Solidarity.

A break from the kids?  :wink:

That would be a "meeting," not a meeting.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5789 on: June 29, 2018, 09:05:57 AM »
Does anyone know the overtime rate if you have to teach after school classes (so your day is over eight hours)?  But the after school classes make up your 22 classes and don't actually put you over that amount.

It depends on a few things.

What does your contract say about overtime?  If you are EPIK or someone like that then it should be 20 000 won.

Anything after your official finish time (4:30-4:40?) should be paid at that overtime rate, regardless of whether it's within your 22 contracted hours.  No matter how your school may try to bully you into it.

If it is a 방과후 (after-school program) that other Korean teachers are doing, one that the students pay for, then you may be paid more.  This again, is paid regardless of your 22 contracted hours.  I did a 4:40-5:30 class last year for ten weeks and was surprised when I got paid 30 000 won for each class.  Not complaining.  Ooops, that sounded like an anecdote....  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:07:43 AM by Dave Stepz »

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5790 on: June 29, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »

What does your contract say about overtime?  If you are EPIK or someone like that then it should be 20 000 won.

Anything after your official finish time (4:30-4:40?) should be paid at that overtime rate, regardless of whether it's within your 22 contracted hours.  No matter how your school may try to bully you into it.

If it is a 방과후 (after-school program) that other Korean teachers are doing, one that the students pay for, then you may be paid more.  This again, is paid regardless of your 22 contracted hours.  I did a 4:40-5:30 class last year for ten weeks and was surprised when I got paid 30 000 won for each class.  Not complaining.  Ooops, that sounded like an anecdote....  :cry:

I think an employer can pay you more, but they're required to at least follow the 150% overtime guideline, aren't they? I know there are exceptions to this, but I don't really know much about them.

And as far as I know, isn't mandatory overtime determined by hours worked per week (or any days outside of the contract) and not per day unless otherwise stipulated by the contract?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:30:45 AM by Chinguetti »

Online alexisalex

• Adventurer
« Reply #5791 on: June 29, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply Dave, much appreciated.  Lol that anecdote is trailng behind your others  :azn:

I have the standard EPIK contract which says "The employer shall work eight hours per day...However , temporary English programs run by the employer may occur outside the work hours.  In this case the employer shall pay...(refer to later clauses)

"The employer may require the employee to work non instructional overtime hours in addition to normal work hours.  In this case the employee shall be entitled to supplementary overtime pay in accordance to the Labor Standards Act".

So I'm a bit confused about what I'm entitled to.  I'm not over 22 "class instruction" hours so I can't get that overtime pay.  But my classes that are after 4:30 are instructional.  The contract only discusses non instructional overtime hours.  It feels like I've fallen into bit of a hole in the contract  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5792 on: June 29, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Dave, much appreciated.  Lol that anecdote is trailng behind your others  :azn:

I have the standard EPIK contract which says "The employer shall work eight hours per day...However , temporary English programs run by the employer may occur outside the work hours.  In this case the employer shall pay...(refer to later clauses)

"The employer may require the employee to work non instructional overtime hours in addition to normal work hours.  In this case the employee shall be entitled to supplementary overtime pay in accordance to the Labor Standards Act".

So I'm a bit confused about what I'm entitled to.  I'm not over 22 "class instruction" hours so I can't get that overtime pay.  But my classes that are after 4:30 are instructional.  The contract only discusses non instructional overtime hours.  It feels like I've fallen into bit of a hole in the contract  :laugh:

Well at the VERY least, you're entitled to time off. EPIK contracts are for 40 hours per week. They can't require you to be working more than that without providing overtime, but time off can be offered in lieu of it. So basically they should be letting you come in late or leave early on one or more days to make up for it, and the time they give you off has to equate to overtime pay, not regular pay.

I'm pretty sure you'd be entitled to overtime pay, though. I just don't know what the rules are.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5793 on: June 29, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

Those two are not really linked, in this instance.  What you're doing is not 'non-instructional'.  Last year, I did some judging for my students' speech contest from 6-9pm or something like that and I got paid the 'non-instructional' rate.  That is kind of what that means.

My EPIK-based contract (although school-hired) says Clause 8.5. 'If the Employee agrees to teach instructional hours that occur outside of the Work Hours specified in Article 8, clause 1 but that total less than 22 hours per week, the Employer shall have the authority to determine the appropriate supplementary overtime pay'

So you get paid, not the 'non-instructional' which is 6000 won.  But I think it means from 20 000 won and over.  I doubt 'appropriate' is nothing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:49:52 AM by Dave Stepz »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5794 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
Actually, going back to that essay problem spoken about earlier in the thread.  In the end, I marked it as normal, and then we decided to give one penalty point for each student.  Now my co-t came to me and said that one mum came to school to complain about the penalty point.  Her reasoning is that one other student got help from their hagwon teacher that she knows of.  If one student gets help from their own hagwon teacher to write an essay, how am I supposed to tell.  If five students all have the same essay that was done with the same hagwon teacher, then I can tell.  What kind of argument is that?  My co-teacher talked with another of the students who wrote that essay and she's accepted it, but she said the hagwon teacher was a bit miffed by the low score.  Sorry dickhead, what you wrote was nonsense.  My co-teacher is completely with me, but it is her that would take the flak.  If this were England, 'You all got zero, now get out!'  One penalty point! 

donovan

« Reply #5795 on: June 29, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »
Set the AC to a temperature that makes you feel comfortable, not a temperature that makes you feel comfortable putting a sweater. :sad:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5796 on: June 29, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
Set the AC to a temperature that makes you feel comfortable, not a temperature that makes you feel comfortable putting a sweater. :sad:

Is this a quote from someone?

Or is someone jacking up the A/C enough to make you cold, lol?

Also, noticed you're using my edit as your profile pic, hahaha. I would have spent more time on making it nicer if I'd known you would adopt it, maybe even found something that could shake the text a little for emphasis. xD

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5797 on: June 29, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I think some of my students might finally be catching on that when I walk around the room to make sure they did the listening exercises, I'm not actually reading to make sure they got the answers right. The number of students who don't even bother picking up their pencils is going down, at any rate. I've been telling them since day one that what's important is that they try, not that they do everything perfectly all the time. They seem to have realized that I'm more upset about a blank answer sheet than I am about wrong answers.

I'm sure that means some of them are just circling random answers or writing whatever English words they see elsewhere on the page, but whatever. I'll take a token effort over no effort at all. Hell, I wasn't above trying to game the system in situations like that when I was a student, so I can't get too angry about it.  :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5798 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
I am thinking of putting a 'watermark' in all my posting to stop Donoban, or whatever his name is, taking all the credit.

I fear however, that won't be enough....

...he'll keep on popping back up.

donovan

« Reply #5799 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »

Is this a quote from someone?

Or is someone jacking up the A/C enough to make you cold, lol?

Also, noticed you're using my edit as your profile pic, hahaha. I would have spent more time on making it nicer if I'd known you would adopt it, maybe even found something that could shake the text a little for emphasis. xD

I use italics to express my internal monologue. :wink:

Sheesh, I'm surprise everybody doesn't know that by now. :rolleyes:

No worries about the pic! A glowing blue ddong-chim orb is more than enough for me 8)
That it was bequeathed to me by the 위대한 아줌마 herself is enough to give me goosebumps. :-*