October 17, 2018, 02:09:38 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 785192 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5760 on: June 28, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »
Does anyone ever actually enjoy going to meetings? I've never met anyone who does. Convinced that they're a creation of the establishment just to give people something to hate in unison over. Solidarity.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5761 on: June 28, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
Does anyone ever actually enjoy going to meetings? I've never met anyone who does. Convinced that they're a creation of the establishment just to give people something to hate in unison over. Solidarity.

A break from the kids?  :wink:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5762 on: June 28, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
Vacation time approaches.  I'm going to another country with a friend for 3 days.  Should I also go somewhere by myself, or should I save money and just travel around Korea for the remaining days? 

My contract ends at the end of August, so it's not like I'll have more opportunities to travel this area.

Should I be adventurous or frugal? 
                       :evil:        :angel:

Too hot. Stay home.

I agree with this advice myself. However, I'll be travelling to Japan.
There is a friend there I want to see, as we haven't seen each other in a while. And I can't go in winter vacation, as I have to travel back home for a family event, then. :'(

donovan

« Reply #5763 on: June 28, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Vacation time approaches.  I'm going to another country with a friend for 3 days.  Should I also go somewhere by myself, or should I save money and just travel around Korea for the remaining days? 

My contract ends at the end of August, so it's not like I'll have more opportunities to travel this area.

Should I be adventurous or frugal? 
                       :evil:        :angel:

Too hot. Stay home.

Another hard-earned life lesson.

Meetings are the Mrs. Pentherby of offices everywhere~

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5764 on: June 28, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
I loved that short story! I am now officially going to call everything that annoys me even slightly "Mrs. Pentherby". My students will be very confused at first, but they'll get used it, I'm sure.

donovan

« Reply #5765 on: June 28, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »
I loved that short story! I am now officially going to call everything that annoys me even slightly "Mrs. Pentherby". My students will be very confused at first, but they'll get used it, I'm sure.

All credit goes to Mr. C. If it motivates them to try to figure out why you're calling them that, then you could be credited with turning them on to English literature~

donovan

« Reply #5766 on: June 28, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
The Catch-22 with classroom games.

The more fun they are, the less kids are able to control themselves, the more you have to stop the game to calm them, the less fun the game becomes. :cry:

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5767 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Debating with myself whether or not teaching a "proper pronunciation" class next week will be worth it. As I've read on these forums, any attempts at teaching the right way is usually undone instantly by KTs.
The World Ends With You

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5768 on: June 28, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »

The more fun they are, the less kids are able to control themselves, the more you have to stop the game to calm them, the less fun the game becomes. :cry:
That's why I never play really "fun" games, then the students are happy with any game/activity that we do. Or if any student complains a game isn't fun, I stop the entire class and do something really boring for the rest of class. Now they never complain. Gg kids.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5769 on: June 28, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
Debating with myself whether or not teaching a "proper pronunciation" class next week will be worth it. As I've read on these forums, any attempts at teaching the right way is usually undone instantly by KTs.

What's the 'right' way?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5770 on: June 28, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »

What's the 'right' way?

Teaching them the actual way to pronounce things like the letter "F" rather than sounding like "Eh-peu" or "V" instead of "Bwee"! Instructing proper pronunciation by also teaching how one should shape their mouth and whatnot. Actual English rather than Korean English.

I don't expect it to change their entire way of speaking, but at least push them in the right direction if they're serious about learning it.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #5771 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

That's why I never play really "fun" games, then the students are happy with any game/activity that we do. Or if any student complains a game isn't fun, I stop the entire class and do something really boring for the rest of class. Now they never complain. Gg kids.

It's amazing how "fun" you can make the book material by picking students via a random number generator. It takes more time to get through the material, but everyone sits in rapt attention to see who will be called next/ who will be paired with whom. Helps to give gender-opposite roles for practice dialogs as well. Lately I try to leave as little time as necessary for the game at the end of class. Sixth graders can handle games, but 5th graders are still just too giddy. :sad:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:40:49 PM by donovan »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5772 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:37 PM »
Right now in my school they're having a 6 teacher meeting, to put together a theme and general outline for English camp. Something usually done by me, or me and my coteacher.

I'm quite enjoying it because I enjoy the politics of Korean meetings. Especially since I know many of them fairly well so I know their styles.  ;D

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5773 on: June 28, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »

It's amazing how "fun" you can make the book material by picking students via a random number generator. It takes more time to get through the material, but everyone sits in rapt attention to see who will be called next/ who will be paired with whom. Helps to give gender-opposite roles for practice dialogs as well. Lately I try to leave as little time as necessary for the game at the end of class. Sixth graders can handle games, but 5th graders are still just too giddy. :sad:

Totally agree, people give the books a hard time but you can really shake it up with the delivery and make it more interesting.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5774 on: June 28, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »

Yessss. I also started using it much more, and it also keeps middle schoolers relatively on edge. There is one that kind of has sound and slows down like Wheel of Fortune (it came with the CD), and it works like a charm.

donovan

« Reply #5775 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »

Yessss. I also started using it much more, and it also keeps middle schoolers relatively on edge. There is one that kind of has sound and slows down like Wheel of Fortune (it came with the CD), and it works like a charm.

Oooo, middle schoolers. Try explaining the sexual angst that provides an undercurrent to all the man/woman video dialogs.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5776 on: June 28, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
Speaking of sexual angst and man/woman/other relationships, I'm compiling a few short videos (Pixar etc) for my Summer camp so that I can start formulating worksheets, activities, themes etc.

I really really really really like this one (I laughed *so* hard when I first watched it) for my G2 middle school boys, but would appreciate a second opinion from y'all: is it too much? Not enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5MmhLQBng

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5777 on: June 28, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »

nice. care to share?

donovan

« Reply #5778 on: June 28, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Speaking of sexual angst and man/woman/other relationships, I'm compiling a few short videos (Pixar etc) for my Summer camp so that I can start formulating worksheets, activities, themes etc.

I really really really really like this one (I laughed *so* hard when I first watched it) for my G2 middle school boys, but would appreciate a second opinion from y'all: is it too much? Not enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5MmhLQBng

Not sure what's wrong with me. As a middle school I would have loved this video, but now I found the imagery a bit much to handle. If you can get past the gore, which I'm sure most middle school boys would have no trouble doing, it's got a message that they might enjoy grappling with.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5779 on: June 28, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »

nice. care to share?

Don't know how, it is just on the Middle School English CD, maybe 지학사 2012, or the Christian Kim one. It is an older one though. I have been done wit the book for a bit and haven't used it super recently.