September 25, 2018, 02:46:00 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772016 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5720 on: June 25, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
Recently an allowance was introduced for all parents with children under five years old to receive 100,000 won monthly, in an effort to increase the birthrate. Again, independent of that family's income bracket, everyone receives it. Again, there are a lot of compelling practical arguments against providing people who are already wealthy with the same allowance as families or parents who are struggling financially. But, everyone has to be equal.
You're assuming that the Korean government is doing this as some sort of child-rearing subsidy. I don't feel that this is the case. I think it's an out-and-out bribe to encourage folk to crank out more babies. Want 500k? Show us a baby. They don't care if you're rich or poor: they just want more Koreans that will be able to pay taxes in 20 years so that they (the politicos) don't have to worry about their pensions getting axed.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5721 on: June 25, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »

It really makes me wonder why these maintenance things always happen during school hours. There have been many other times in the past where maintenance workers come in as I'm teaching a class and carry on with their business. I asked a KT why they don't just have that maintenance done after school hours or on weekends, and was just told "the workers don't want to do it then."

Okay.

It's like the people that have jobs don't ever want to do them
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5722 on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
On the Hyundai cars, why when the 'fuel left in kilometres' gauge reaches '50kms left', it goes blank like this '--'?  Surely, that's when you need it most.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5723 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
The system isn't good, but if you don't agree that all studying should end in a test then you can teach students interesting things that they will remember and you find interesting to teach.  You also take your little victories where you get them.  Whether you're not allowed to by crappy co-ts, or students think they're wasting their time, is another thing.  But them's the challenges, I suppose. 

I just count my blessings that my current coTs are okay for the most part. A couple of them just lose their sanity during this period, and it drives me crazy.

What topics have you taught that are kind of atypical but that students really seem to latch onto?

Picking your brain for new ideas for camp.

My co-teacher talked with the students and they said it was their hagwon teacher who gave them a kind of template for this essay, so they could change little bits to answer the question.   :rolleyes: Firstly, what a div.  Whoever told them, used some really stupid phrases, and ones that anyone looking at it could tell they were not the students original ideas.  I'm going to go over it again and then we'll decide what score to give.

So did the students not "realize" what they did wrong, or were they aware but just thought that they could get away with it, lol?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5724 on: June 25, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
I'm doing speaking tests this week myself. Today's are over, and only 1 student is challenging my grade. I explained with my co-T nearby, that he has the ability to get an A, but I had to put him down as a B, as he only gave shortened answers. He was nervous, and when he went for longer answers, he'd freak out and stop.
I mentioned, if he relaxes a bit, he'll definitely be able to reach the "A" next time.
2 of the students, thought they would get a low mark, but got a high mark. They pushed through their nervousness and gave me good answers.
The rest got what they thought they'd get.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5725 on: June 25, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
Just finished my last round for the day. Marked improvement from what I left off with last week. Hope it's a good sign for the rest of this week.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5726 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
What topics have you taught that are kind of atypical but that students really seem to latch onto?

What level are you teaching?

School Lunches around the world

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/school-lunches-around-the-world_n_6746164.html

You could print out the pictures from this article about school lunches around the world.  Pre-teach some of the hard food language and then get them to stand up and walk around to the pictures that are placed around the room, then write down what they eat in those countries on a worksheet, whether they think it looks tasty or not, whether it is healthy etc.  Then after they've written the information, you can go through it on the tv asking the students who wrote about it, to explain about the food.  At least two classes there.

At the airport

They make passports and using the simple dialogue and tickets, write out the tickets for their partner and then 'stamp' their passport.  There is a nice colourful spot-the-difference that I have that can be used as an introduction.  Making the passports and tickets takes a bit of time to do.  Another couple of classes gone.

World Greetings

I had a PPT with world greetings, and capital cities.  some they knew, some they didn't.  Then I had a handout where they all got different greetings that they'd say to their partner and they'd have to guess where their partner is from and the capital city.  Another couple of classes gone.

You could even do a balloon car experiment, egg drop experiment or something like if you have some budget.

Cooking class?

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5727 on: June 25, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »

What level are you teaching?

[...]

Cooking class?

Middle school, and my current school has a decent-ish budget, so there's always a cooking class. xD I've got that mostly decided already, but I'm open to new ideas.

I was thinking about making one of the classes a science class, but I'm still undecided. I thought maybe balsa wood bridges but wasn't sure if I could find bridge kits here, even online  (I know that people have used things like paper and spaghetti, but I really want actual balsa wood).

Might try the balloon car, thing, though... or maybe even do a catapult competition, see which team can Macgyver the best one out of the materials I give them.

I like the greetings idea, too. Geography really isn't a strong suit for my most of my students, but I could do a thing where I introduce them to countries and their capitals. That way they can use some recall to help answer a game based on it.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5728 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »

20 days left of term. The last 20 days of my Korean teaching career. Every day I'm losing the last fucks I was managing to scrape together.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5729 on: June 25, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »

20 days left of term. The last 20 days of my Korean teaching career. Every day I'm losing the last fucks I was managing to scrape together.

Congrats!

It must feel incredibly liberating knowing that the end is in sight.  I don't think I'd be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Are you putting any effort into your final classes?  I wouldn't  :laugh:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5730 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
On the Hyundai cars, why when the 'fuel left in kilometres' gauge reaches '50kms left', it goes blank like this '--'?  Surely, that's when you need it most.

It isn't just Hyundai.  They all to that.

They don't count to the bottom because the number us an estimate based on the last (???) km driven. If you drive mostly highway, and you are city-driving those last 50 might be closer to 20!

I read <---> as "you are on your own, buddy!"

donovan

« Reply #5731 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »

They don't count to the bottom because the number us an estimate based on the last (???) km driven. If you drive mostly highway, and you are city-driving those last 50 might be closer to 20!

Right, I imagine they donít want to be blamed if your car putters out on the highway because you thought you could make it another 10 km to the next pumping station.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5732 on: June 26, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »

We have a Kia too, and that will count you down all the way.  This Hyundai and the previous one both did the '--', followed by a Korean voice doing an evil cackle!  Only part of that previous sentence was true.   

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5733 on: June 26, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

Congrats!

It must feel incredibly liberating knowing that the end is in sight.  I don't think I'd be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Are you putting any effort into your final classes?  I wouldn't  :laugh:

For years I've seen people talk about their last month or so and never quite got it until now. It's weird because I am putting in a little effort because I want the students to have fun and enjoy my time with them, but I've given up all hopes of teaching them English. I just want it to be easy and enjoyable for everyone involved.

donovan

« Reply #5734 on: June 26, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »

We have a Kia too, and that will count you down all the way.  This Hyundai and the previous one both did the '--', followed by a Korean voice doing an evil cackle!  Only part of that previous sentence was true.

How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5735 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Ended up running out of gas while on my way somewhere three times.

donovan

« Reply #5736 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5737 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5738 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Yes.

Dirt in your tank settles to the bottom, so a full tank is providing cleaner fuel.

Also, on cold weather more air space in your tank means more water condensing and further contaminating your fuel.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5739 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

I'm not trying to be pedantic because I'm literally not a car person, but weren't Supras made by Toyota? I didn't know this at all, but I wanted to see what your old car looked like so I Googled 'Ford Supra' and only Toyotas came up.