December 11, 2018, 02:17:58 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846404 times)

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5700 on: July 19, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
When I asked my students to name a Korean product with 7 letters, several of them answered Adidas.

English issues aside, it was weird that more than just one of them answered this way. And I do remember reading on here, someone saying that "Koreans think they're the original creators of everything."

I don't think that's the case for these kids, but at the same time I find it strange. :undecided:
How old were these kids? I've had elementary kids think words like elevator, and escalator, car,ice cream, coffee, and key, were Korean.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5701 on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
I don't even think I can think of a Korean product with seven letters.

Companies would be a bit easier, but like, even then you're mostly just going to end up with Hyundai.

Apologies, I meant Companies/Brands. The answer was Hyundai lol

How old were these kids? I've had elementary kids think words like elevator, and escalator, car,ice cream, coffee, and key, were Korean.

They were 2nd grade middle school.
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5702 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
Companies would be a bit easier, but like, even then you're mostly just going to end up with Hyundai.

Samsung, Ddaewoo, Prugioh! Keeyyaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LG IncTM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:10:58 PM by CO2 »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5703 on: July 19, 2018, 03:03:21 PM »
When I asked my students to name a Korean product with 7 letters, several of them answered Adidas.

English issues aside, it was weird that more than just one of them answered this way. And I do remember reading on here, someone saying that "Koreans think they're the original creators of everything."

I don't think that's the case for these kids, but at the same time I find it strange. :undecided:

My son has a Real Madrid jersey with an Adidas logo... and a Huvis Manufacturing tag.

Adidas might do some manufacturing here, (Nike does) so a "made in Korea" tag might have given them that impression.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5704 on: July 19, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
And I do remember reading on here, someone saying that "Koreans think they're the original creators of everything."

I guess it's a bit difficult for such a nationalistic country to accept that they really haven't invented anything. The 6th grade unit on inventors is hilarious. King Sejong invented... something that was invented hundreds of years before his birth.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5705 on: July 19, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
I do find it peculiar how Korea always seems to have to prove itself

"hangeul is the most scientific writing system"
"kimchi cures all kind of things"
"look at all these things Korea has invented"
"look at how much these foreigners love Korea"
"the Korean wave is taking over the world"

Do other countries push this kind of nonsense, too? Genuine question

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5706 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
I do find it peculiar how Ontario always seems to have to prove itself

"Ontarian is the most scientific writing system"
"maple syrup cures all kind of things"
"look at all these things Ontario has invented"
"look at how much these foreigners love Ontario"
"the Bieber wave is taking over the world"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5707 on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »

They have a justified inferiority complex. Their country was built by foreign aid.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5708 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »

During EPIK orientation, they had us watch a video about how Korea rebuilt itself from its impoverished state many years back. At one point they talked about how a group of Koreans visited another country for reasons I can't quite remember at the moment. These Koreans visited a shipyard in that foreign country, and the person talking in the video claimed that they perfectly memorized the structure just by looking at it and brought it back home to build in Korea. There was audible laughter by many in the room at that moment. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:29:33 PM by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5709 on: July 19, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »

During EPIK orientation, they had us watch a video about how Korea rebuilt itself from its impoverished state many years back. At one point they talked about how a group of Koreans visited another country for reasons I can't quite remember at the moment. These Koreans visited a shipyard in that foreign country, and the person talking in the video claimed that they perfectly memorized the structure just by looking at it and brought it back home to build in Korea. There was audibly laughter by many in the room at that moment. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
yes. i think this was the same video they showed us, back in 2011. everything about that EPIK orientation was the biggest farce

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #5710 on: July 20, 2018, 02:52:51 AM »

The Soviet Union. China claims they invented modern bike sharing.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #5711 on: July 20, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
Curious currency changing question.  I'm off to Finland to a few days then Zurich for a couple of days, and then Basel for a day and then a week in France.  I want to change 800 000 won into local currency for both countries but can't work out how is best to do it.  Finland and France both have the Euro and then there is the Swiss Franc.  Is it better to change 600 000 won into Euros and 200 000 won into Swiss Francs here or best to do all 800 000 won into Euros ad change again in Europe?  Sorry, if this seems obvious to some but my brain is a bit slow at the end of the semester.   ;D

Generally you will lose money if you change twice, to Euros then to Francs.  I would either change them both here, or use your card for withdrawals abroad.  In my experience the won doesn't travel well.

check out the exchange rates here https://www.kebhana.com/easyone/foreign/index.do#//HanaBank

the lower the 'spread' the better, both francs and euros are under 2 so personally I would change it here.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5712 on: July 20, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »
Curious currency changing question.  I'm off to Finland to a few days then Zurich for a couple of days, and then Basel for a day and then a week in France.  I want to change 800 000 won into local currency for both countries but can't work out how is best to do it.  Finland and France both have the Euro and then there is the Swiss Franc.  Is it better to change 600 000 won into Euros and 200 000 won into Swiss Francs here or best to do all 800 000 won into Euros ad change again in Europe?  Sorry, if this seems obvious to some but my brain is a bit slow at the end of the semester.   ;D

Generally you will lose money if you change twice, to Euros then to Francs.  I would either change them both here, or use your card for withdrawals abroad.  In my experience the won doesn't travel well.

check out the exchange rates here https://www.kebhana.com/easyone/foreign/index.do#//HanaBank

the lower the 'spread' the better, both francs and euros are under 2 so personally I would change it here.

I would agree. If you use the KEB online website to order your currency before picking it up, you'll also get an even better value then they list online, but it is only on the Korean site. With all of that and when you go for pick-up, you should also ask about the free travel insurance that you can get (since you're exchanging with them)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5713 on: July 20, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »

I would agree. If you use the KEB online website to order your currency before picking it up, you'll also get an even better value then they list online, but it is only on the Korean site. With all of that and when you go for pick-up, you should also ask about the free travel insurance that you can get (since you're exchanging with them)
The travel insurance is free of you buy 300 USD or equivalent.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5714 on: July 20, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »

They will accept Euros at most places in Switzerland, the issue being whether it will be more favourable to you to pay once (use a big note and get Swiss francs in change) or to pay for each item as you go (you may not be able to spend the change).  Making big payments (hotel etc) on credit card will benefit you too.  the same may apply to Finland.

When the Euro started, all UK shops stated they would accept it as a payment method, the issue was how they would calculate exchange rates, and how to give change.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5715 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »

Interesting!!  I don't usually use travel insurance, so might check it out if it is free.

:huh:

Yikes. I get travel insurance literally every time I travel. When I was in university, I had a friend who didn't take out travel insurance. He got an infection on his foot while travelling, there were complications, he ended up needing some extensive treatment, and he ended up with an $18,000 hospital bill.

I've probably spent about $1500 on travel insurance over my life, and I've never had to use it except for once when the airline lost my luggage. But I still don't consider that money wasted. I literally won't travel without it.

99 times out of 100 everything is cool. But that one time when it's not, dang.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5716 on: July 20, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »

Yes, and coverage increases with the amount you spend. The most basic is spending 300 (or equiv.), then it goes to 500,  1000, 3000, 5000, 10000.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5717 on: July 20, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »

Interesting!!  I don't usually use travel insurance, so might check it out if it is free.

:huh:

Yikes. I get travel insurance literally every time I travel. When I was in university, I had a friend who didn't take out travel insurance. He got an infection on his foot while travelling, there were complications, he ended up needing some extensive treatment, and he ended up with an $18,000 hospital bill.

I've probably spent about $1500 on travel insurance over my life, and I've never had to use it except for once when the airline lost my luggage. But I still don't consider that money wasted. I literally won't travel without it.

99 times out of 100 everything is cool. But that one time when it's not, dang.
yes, my friend recently went abroad and had a motorcycle accident. not her fault at all, mind you. some drunk guy ran her off the road. she didn't have insurance. the hospital refused to treat her, and she had some serious head injuries. she was actually worried she might be permanently blind (and the embassy was closed for a while as it was lunar new year). finally she got seen and operated on (now, completely better, luckily), but her medical bill was astronomical. even now she has some permanent scars and damage on her face that could have been avoided if she was treated quickly (which she would have been, if she had insurance). scary stuff

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5718 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »

Yes, and coverage increases with the amount you spend. The most basic is spending 300 (or equiv.), then it goes to 500,  1000, 3000, 5000, 10000.

I even took out travel insurance to visit home (UK) this year.  Especially with a wife and baby in tow, peace of mind in worth 56 quid of anyone's money.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5719 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »

I even took out travel insurance to visit home (UK) this year.  Especially with a wife and baby in tow, peace of mind in worth 56 quid of anyone's money.

For sure, I agree.