August 22, 2018, 01:01:53 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 747282 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5680 on: June 20, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »
It does cross my mind that perhaps my students live in a simplified emotional environment where they're not exposed too often to situations that would require them to handle complex emotions, but that's kind of hard to swallow. The fact is they (my students, anyway) have incredibly stable (if risk-averse) family arrangements and living environments, but that kind of stability is largely what a family and good school is good for. Too much of a good thing, perhaps?

Of course my students are younger and the stress of school and social relations tend to pile up in the middle school and high school years. Maybe it just hasn't hit them yet.
yeah, i dunno. sometimes i think that a lot of kids here are pretty sheltered and don't get much life experience (coddled/no responsibility/not allowed to make their own mistakes/etc) and that ends up making them emotionally immature.

i have a 10 year old cousin who is the complete opposite of korean kids. he seems way more mature than korean kids his age. maybe it's because he's given freedom to decide what hobbies he wants, is given responsibility in the house and is allowed to go out and climb/fall out of trees, limited to an hour of video games a week (and happy with it), etc. from my experience, this is the complete opposite of korean kids

i guess my point is that korean kids often feel less 'well-rounded' than kids in the uk/australia who i know, or are family, etc. i think a big part of this is the parenting (and lack thereof)

My older sister and her husband give everything to their kids and in turn they can be a real pain in the ass.  My bro-in-law has a good job and his rationale for spending a fortune on them is because he didn't have that from his parents.  I went home for Christmas a few years ago and was amazed by the stuff they got brought.  My sister also has to have things for them to do, all the time.  They always have to have something planned for the weekend.  My mum complains to me about this as she's of the opinion that kids can be bored, it's not a bad thing, that's how you develop imaginations, in part.  If you've provided everything to keep them occupied all the time, how do they learn to develop emotionally.  Korean kids by middle school and high school have little free time, so they spend time on things that require no movement, their phones.  Who can blame them?  That's the society.  Is it possible to develop emotionally outside of school if you're on your phone the whole time?  Living here and working here for ages, and also being married, I really do get to see emotional reactions that to me, seem really strange, but I'm very curious how they came about.  Is it early childhood, society or just the person?  My wife is scared of absolutely every insect, even butterflies.  When did that happen?  I know a lot of Korean who have a similar phobia.  Is that from not playing outside?  When I go home, I tell my niece that 'Auntie Park is scared of butterflies'.   :shocked:
My wife is also scared of bugs. Even pigeons. It's weird, isn't it. You might be right about the free time thing. It's true for both kids and adults. If you spend your life living with your mum until you're married, then have a baby within a year of that, you're going to have less life experiences. None of my korean friends were taught to be independent. Most of them can't cook or even work the washing machine...

It probably all sounds very condescending, what I wrote. But I feel I grew up emotionally most when I was a teenager and at uni, where I lived with new people, made a lot of dumb mistakes, and did everything by myself, independent of my parents

Re: moths. I also hate moths so I get the guy in the gym

donovan

SUBTHREAD: Bug Battle Stories
« Reply #5681 on: June 20, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
I walked in to the bathroom yesterday morning and locked eyes with an enormous cockroach scurrying behind the door. We both stood motionless for a what seemed like an hour until I had the wherewithal to reach for the shower head without averting my gaze. I cranked it to the highest heat setting and sprayed the bastard for what must have been five minutes before approaching its unmoving carcass, legs now splayed, with a heap of toilet paper and a rubber glove to flush  it down the toilet.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: SUBTHREAD: Bug Battle Stories
« Reply #5682 on: June 20, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
I walked in to the bathroom yesterday morning and locked eyes with an enormous cockroach scurrying behind the door. We both stood motionless for a what seemed like an hour until I had the wherewithal to reach for the shower head without averting my gaze. I cranked it to the highest heat setting and sprayed the bastard for what must have been five minutes before approaching its unmoving carcass, legs now splayed, with a heap of toilet paper and a rubber glove to flush it down the toilet.  As I turned around thinking 'good job, D', the motion of the toilet flushing restarted his little cockroach heart.  As he flowed out of the u-bend and out onto the open sewers outside, he lay there motionless like in the bathroom, but this time covered in shit and piss and a heap of soaking toilet paper with a vague bird pattern on it.  He felt a rage burning inside.  He rolled over onto the rubber glove and was already plotting his revenge.  He knew that guy's smell,  the same as one of those cheap lotions provided at a low-quality Korean spa.  This guy had it all, the looks, the wife, the kid and also that ajosshi Korean polo shirt.  If he didn't get him back, it'd haunt him for the rest of his cockroach years.  He stood up and stretched his little cockroach muscles.

Later that night, I was tossing and turning in my sleep, I didn't feel comfortable, was it the heat? no.  Was it the two 'Cass Fresh' I'd had with my sweetcorn pizza earlier?  Surely not.  Or was it that spicy Toppoki?  Nah.  As I shook my head, and looked into the dark corner of the bedroom, a breeze blew the curtain open slighty, and I could see something standing there.  But I don't know what. It had the shower head, some toilet paper and the same rubber glove from earlier.  But I flushed that glove down the toilet, surely?  I froze.  Then it hit me...

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5683 on: June 21, 2018, 08:35:45 AM »
It does cross my mind that perhaps my students live in a simplified emotional environment where they're not exposed too often to situations that would require them to handle complex emotions, but that's kind of hard to swallow. The fact is they (my students, anyway) have incredibly stable (if risk-averse) family arrangements and living environments, but that kind of stability is largely what a family and good school is good for. Too much of a good thing, perhaps?

Of course my students are younger and the stress of school and social relations tend to pile up in the middle school and high school years. Maybe it just hasn't hit them yet.
yeah, i dunno. sometimes i think that a lot of kids here are pretty sheltered and don't get much life experience (coddled/no responsibility/not allowed to make their own mistakes/etc) and that ends up making them emotionally immature.

i have a 10 year old cousin who is the complete opposite of korean kids. he seems way more mature than korean kids his age. maybe it's because he's given freedom to decide what hobbies he wants, is given responsibility in the house and is allowed to go out and climb/fall out of trees, limited to an hour of video games a week (and happy with it), etc. from my experience, this is the complete opposite of korean kids

i guess my point is that korean kids often feel less 'well-rounded' than kids in the uk/australia who i know, or are family, etc. i think a big part of this is the parenting (and lack thereof)

My older sister and her husband give everything to their kids and in turn they can be a real pain in the ass.  My bro-in-law has a good job and his rationale for spending a fortune on them is because he didn't have that from his parents.  I went home for Christmas a few years ago and was amazed by the stuff they got brought.  My sister also has to have things for them to do, all the time.  They always have to have something planned for the weekend.  My mum complains to me about this as she's of the opinion that kids can be bored, it's not a bad thing, that's how you develop imaginations, in part.  If you've provided everything to keep them occupied all the time, how do they learn to develop emotionally.  Korean kids by middle school and high school have little free time, so they spend time on things that require no movement, their phones.  Who can blame them?  That's the society.  Is it possible to develop emotionally outside of school if you're on your phone the whole time?  Living here and working here for ages, and also being married, I really do get to see emotional reactions that to me, seem really strange, but I'm very curious how they came about.  Is it early childhood, society or just the person?  My wife is scared of absolutely every insect, even butterflies.  When did that happen?  I know a lot of Korean who have a similar phobia.  Is that from not playing outside?  When I go home, I tell my niece that 'Auntie Park is scared of butterflies'.   :shocked:

My younger half sister got spoiled rotten by my ex-step father (her father). Like, almost anything she wanted growing up, she got. I remember 1 year, my younger brother (luckily, my ex-step father isn't his father) had a birthday, my sister demanded that she gets gifts too, because its not fair that she didn't get anything. So he went out and spent like $800 on my sister, wrapped the gifts up, put my brothers name on the card, came back and let my brother open the gifts, and said "They are all for your sister."

She basically grew up to be the most entitled person I have ever met (I've seen worse on the internet though). And even though she is about 20 now (I try to have very little to do with my sister now, so can never remember her age), she literally has the intelligence of an 8 or 9 year old. She done terribly in school AND her father rewarded her for it.
If you say no to her, she will still throw a massive temper tantrum like a child. Including crying, stamping her feet, and flailing around on the floor. I think being overly spoiled, leads to, or at least can lead to, stunting emotional growth too.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5684 on: June 21, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
A look back at the waygook archives. Big shout out to JejuJohn77. Hilarious. http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=109589.0
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5685 on: June 21, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
Playing a wee gig this weekend.  Been a long while since I've performed, so a bit nervous  :-[

Gonna be the electric violin's first time out!  And melodica and ocarina cause why not go all out  :laugh:

Setlist is nerdtastic~

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5686 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
Playing a wee gig this weekend.  Been a long while since I've performed, so a bit nervous  :-[

Gonna be the electric violin's first time out!  And melodica and ocarina cause why not go all out  :laugh:

Setlist is nerdtastic~

Have a big fun.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5687 on: June 21, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
One class for the essay evaluation had three very interesting spelling mistakes:

'What did you do last vacation'

'I was swimming.  Swimming was so funny.  After swimming I was ate seafood.  Seafood was delicioeoce.  Crap is good.'

'I went to the beach with my friend and we ate 'Mom's touch' hamburgers and cock'

'Our family decided to go Jeju-do by sheep'

:-*

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5688 on: June 21, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
A look back at the waygook archives. Big shout out to JejuJohn77. Hilarious. http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=109589.0

strong post by Mr John Jeju there  :laugh:

will the mods on here ever get it? there have been soooo many complaints about them over the years.

funnily enough, good old DMT (DeMartino) always manages to evade getting any type of warning at all, despite blatantly violating the ToS on numerous occasions. on of his most recent posts being a direct insult against another member. i'll report the post and let's see what happens, my guess is nothing at all.

Online tylerthegloob

• Veteran
« Reply #5689 on: June 21, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »

strong post by Mr John Jeju there  :laugh:

will the mods on here ever get it? there have been soooo many complaints about them over the years.

funnily enough, good old DMT (DeMartino) always manages to evade getting any type of warning at all, despite blatantly violating the ToS on numerous occasions. on of his most recent posts being a direct insult against another member. i'll report the post and let's see what happens, my guess is nothing at all.

I didn't know there were ToS for this site. Also, DMT is my new favorite nickname for the artist (I) previously referred to as 'Tino.

EDIT:
Unacceptable Behaviour
- Harassment, personal attacks and name calling

LOL. Good joke.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:54:43 PM by tylerthegloob »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5690 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
Today's round of speaking test delinquents weren't as painful as their predecessors. Maybe my tortured expressions have made the rounds and the kids are taking pity on me. More to come tomorrow.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5691 on: June 22, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
Not trying to be a dick, but I've been at this school for 4yrs, with the same CT and things are getting ridiculous.

She's very kind and offers me coffee at least twice a week. I only drink coffee before I train or in absolute emergencies and not more than 1/3rd of a cup, I've never been a fan of bitter things and it tends to give me a stomachache; she knows this.
Still... despite having told her at least 100 times, she'll still bring me coffee, sometimes she'll even buy me Starbucks.

Her English is fantastic, we have long conversations so it's not a misunderstanding. I can't figure out what she's trying to do, get me to like the stuff?

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #5692 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
We had speaking tests this week, too.

Luckily I'm only responsible for the 1st graders, and the other foreign teacher who works with grade 1 shares my grading strategy. It's been INCREDIBLY smooth sailing. After reading the speaking test horror stories, I was quite worried. We only have six classes of 25 students, though, so that probably contributes to them being manageable.

One of the potential questions the students could answer was "Tell us about your role model." One girl gave such an amazing speech about her mom that I got all teary-eyed. Lol.

I am so glad it's Friday, though. I worked last weekend and I've reached the "walking zombie" level of exhaustion. I'm going to Spaland and probably spending an hour in one of those crazy awesome massage chairs.

@aristocrat, I also get handed coffee all the time, despite repeatedly telling my coworkers that I'm sensitive to caffeine. I'm going to actually drink it one of these days just so they can see why I avoid it.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

donovan

« Reply #5693 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
Classes feel more and more like an interruption to my sitting-at-my-desk time.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5694 on: June 22, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Not trying to be a dick, but I've been at this school for 4yrs, with the same CT and things are getting ridiculous.

She's very kind and offers me coffee at least twice a week. I only drink coffee before I train or in absolute emergencies and not more than 1/3rd of a cup, I've never been a fan of bitter things and it tends to give me a stomachache; she knows this.
Still... despite having told her at least 100 times, she'll still bring me coffee, sometimes she'll even buy me Starbucks.

Her English is fantastic, we have long conversations so it's not a misunderstanding. I can't figure out what she's trying to do, get me to like the stuff?

She sounds like a real monster.

Online keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5695 on: June 22, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

Well... it IS a thread for pointless ramblings. What do you expect?  ;D
I'd be slightly annoyed too, Aristocrat. #solidarity

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5696 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »

Well... it IS a thread for pointless ramblings. What do you expect?  ;D
I'd be slightly annoyed too, Aristocrat. #solidarity

I knew I should have put some  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: emojis so I wouldn't get taken seriously. lol

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5697 on: June 22, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
I think something finally bust my brain today.

Marking my students essays (320 this week), I noticed one class where four students had very similar essays.  What made it more strange was that there was another student in a completely different class with a similar essay, but a different question.  What finally twigged, was that I thought it was strange that students would write 'I live by the motto.....'  All of them had different mottos and then some very similar writing all the way through.  None of them were sitting together during the test either.  I'm so confused.  I told my co-teacher and she was as baffled as me.  To me, it's not really cheating, but it's Friday and I'm knackered.  :undecided:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5698 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »

Marking my students essays (320 this week), I noticed one class where four students had very similar essays.  What made it more strange was that there was another student in a completely different class with a similar essay, but a different question.  What finally twigged, was that I thought it was strange that students would write 'I live by the motto.....'  All of them had different mottos and then some very similar writing all the way through.  None of them were sitting together during the test either.  I'm so confused.  I told my co-teacher and she was as baffled as me.  To me, it's not really cheating, but it's Friday and I'm knackered.  :undecided:
Perhaps something from a book, movie, or TV show?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5699 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »

Perhaps something from a book, movie, or TV show?
my guess would be famous youtuber said it