November 18, 2018, 01:34:13 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814146 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5640 on: July 13, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
I have three 1st grade (high school!!!!!) students who are strong feminists.  I asked one today what they were doing at the weekend.  'We're going to the 'Pride March' in Seoul this weekend.' 'Wow, really? Will there be a lot of people there?'  'Yes, but a lot of homophobes too'.

Your students are the best.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #5641 on: July 13, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Off topic to the topic I started but!

I've been interacting with more students lately and I'm starting to realize a lot of them have really common learning disorders. One of the girls I teach is dyslexic, is there anything I can do to help her and make this a little bit easier?

I'm not certified to really help with students with learning disorders or students who are special needs but I've been trying to make the learning environment easier.

If you are not "certified" to help, you are surely not qualified to diagnose.

You should mention to co-teacher or homeroom teacher what you've observed and tell them you think the student should visit a doctor, who is qualified to make the diagnosis.

....?

I mean I'm not certified to be a doctor but I can tell you when someone's bleeding from the face.

I did bring it up to the teacher I was with and he admitted she's dyslexic so I'm just trying to create a Better Learning environment. I'm not certified to deal with students who have low functioning autism but I do anyway because that's the position I'm put in.

I'm trying to be proactive and help these students.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, because no matter how difficult it is, we should always try or at least want to try to help, buuuuuut...

Learning disorders are just barely starting to be acknowledged / understood here, and for the most part, a very large portion of the teacher population here just can't comprehend them. ADHD has become something of a buzzword catchall that both medical and education professionals seem to apply very broadly, and students whom many of us may recognize as being somewhere on the autism scale will often just be labeled with a "Oh, he has ADHD."

So, you are very limited to what you can feasibly do to help a lot of those students. And in many cases, you won't be able to help, so the best you can aim for is to do no harm and just continue being nice and understanding on the inside.

I think it could never hurt to read up on the topic to try and be more helpful to students but you will not be able to integrate it fully into your lessons IMO. Based is correct to that with the way that being "different" is treated here it can be difficult to get parents to diagnose their kids.

It can depend greatly on your class dynamic how helpful you can be. I am very lucky to have great coTs where we teach 1/2 the time (ish). Since this is the case whoever is not directing class (or when students are just working) one or both of us can spend most of our time with the lowest level students. In the last year and a half I have had many G6 who could not read at all or hardly speak. Many of them at the start of the semester were very shy. Once you show that you are there to help and constantly do so they usually open up and ask for help while also trying harder.

While it is true you will not get through to all you can really work hard with those who open up to your help. If they try just always positively reinforce it. Some of the lower students who really try have been some of my favorites and have made real advancements in just a years time. ( Obviously they were studying out of class also and worked on it very hard, sometimes you just need to motivate them to do so)

TL;DR: It is not easy and you need the right resources (another teacher). Showing you care and that it is okay to make mistakes goes a long way.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5642 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
I have three 1st grade (high school!!!!!) students who are strong feminists.  I asked one today what they were doing at the weekend.  'We're going to the 'Pride March' in Seoul this weekend.' 'Wow, really? Will there be a lot of people there?'  'Yes, but a lot of homophobes too'.

Your students are the best.

Haha, that's unironically the best thing I've read all day.

:-*

For the essay writing, they talked about 'gender equality','fighting for what's right', 'it's tiring but we have to overcome this struggle'.  Gives me hope for the future.   'The Ajosshi Days' are coming to an end.  :-*

donovan

« Reply #5643 on: July 16, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
Had my baby's doljanchi yesterday and still trying to make sense of it. When it came time for her to reach for an object, she picked up the Frostmourne... :lipsrsealed:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5644 on: July 16, 2018, 09:04:56 AM »
@ Dave: Are you sure it's more like no bathing/shower after an entire week? Unless it's a field hand or someone who spends a lot of time outside, I can't imagine smelling that bad after only a couple of days. xD

Had my baby's doljanchi yesterday and still trying to make sense of it. When it came time for her to reach for an object, she picked up the Frostmourne... :lipsrsealed:

What were the other options?

donovan

« Reply #5645 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
There was a forge hammer, windcleaver, red turtle shell, a gavel and a skein of thread.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5646 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
It's strange or not, how one person can change a class, for better or worse.  I have Korean class on Saturdays that I drive for an hour to get to, but as it's free, the petrol price is not so important.  I've been doing this since March and really really love it, and have learned a lot.  The class is a nice mix Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese etc and we are all good together.  But on Saturday, a guy started, and I'm usually very understanding of pronunciation problems, but this guy kept on interrupting the teacher with his awful pronunciation.  That on it's own is not why I was annoyed, the fact that he absolutely reeked was the main thing.  He was sat in front of me and I actually felt sick because of the smell.  It wasn't a 'just walking here' smell, it was a 'not showered for a couple of days' smell.  The class is for two hours, but I left in the break-time because of the smell.  How can someone not be aware of that kind of thing?  It wasn't like I was getting used to it either, it just came in waves.

God yeah, totally agree with you here.  I used to love my Korean class for similar reasons; tight knit group, lovely people, nice vibe in the classroom.  Then random people started joining and it completely ruined it for me.  No hygeine problems at least but just over confident, brash tw*ts for want of a better word.  I stopped going  :laugh: 

donovan

« Reply #5647 on: July 16, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »

Congrats D!  Both for the having the doljanchi and also for your son following in his father's warrior pillaging ways.

Thanks Dave. He's a she but I appreciate the sentiment^^

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5648 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
Born to lead!

Oh, hey, found your daughter's pic!

What a cutie!

donovan

« Reply #5649 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
That's daddy's little sweetheart. And the life of the party, it turns out!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5650 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
@ donovan:
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."

Sounds like big things are gonna come your daughter's way, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

Actually, he was from America, but I was trying to avoid writing that in my original post.  So he'd be a teacher.  Actually, there was another guy (in the lower level class that I don't do anymore) who was wearing a dirty vest t-shirt with stains on it, and he was hairier than me.  :cry:

This all kind of reminds me of the guy I saw running around in short-shorts and a cutoff shirt last winter. Wasn't in a class, though, and I'm pretty sure it was part of a dare or something, but could be the makings of a MAD TV skit.

Maybe you and a bunch of others can beat them at their own game.

donovan

« Reply #5651 on: July 16, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »

When chinguetti talks about "her suit", this is what she means :lipsrsealed:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5652 on: July 16, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »

Please don't wear the matching pants to school...  :huh: :cry:

Edit: I only caught the "her suit" pun now. Well done.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:23:45 PM by kyndo »

donovan

« Reply #5653 on: July 16, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

Please don't wear the matching pants to school...  :huh: :cry:

Don't be such a prude; the hair *tastefully* obscures everything~

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5654 on: July 16, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
Kids screaming in the halls like

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5655 on: July 16, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
"운동" my local grocery store manager told me as I left the building. I didn't realize until I looked in the mirror that he said "exercise," and basically called me fat without me even realizing it.

Curse you, infinite rice!
The World Ends With You

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5656 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
"운동" my local grocery store manager told me as I left the building. I didn't realize until I looked in the mirror that he said "exercise," and basically called me fat without me even realizing it.

Curse you, infinite rice!
[/quote

That happened to me once. When he said I told him I wanted to return everything. He didn't like it. He happily took my money the next 5 years.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5657 on: July 17, 2018, 12:33:46 AM »
I've noticed there's a large variance in human intelligence. Some of the Korean students I've taught are shockingly low level. This was also the case when I taught in the United States.

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSurvey.html

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #5658 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »
I'm not sure about things like that.

I hate it when people are shamed or belittled for not knowing where countries/oceans are on a map.  Who memorises maps?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5659 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
So last night my gym actually turned on the A/C. It's the first time I've ever seen that.

HOWEVER

They kept it at 30C.