December 11, 2018, 03:22:02 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846889 times)

Offline Mike.T

• Adventurer
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5580 on: July 06, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
So I'm marking written assignments and came across the best misuse of slang/poor translation I've seen in a while.

A really sobering story about a girls grandmother who was in a traffic accident and is hospitalized. Cue the line.

"But the operation was no good, and the medication had no effect on her. So she wept in secret, but at night, on your tod"

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5581 on: July 07, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »
Is the sporran coming back?

http://s.aliexpress.com/B3EfIZFV

donovan

« Reply #5582 on: July 07, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Is the sporran coming back?

http://s.aliexpress.com/B3EfIZFV

If the fanny pack can have a second life, I don’t see why the sporran cun’t.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5583 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
Thinking about relocating somewhere rural.

But what if I end up in an area where all buildings have 20-year-old cockroach poop crusted all over their walls? No one ever thinks about cockroach poop, but they should.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5584 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »

But what if I end up in an area where all buildings have 20-year-old cockroach poop crusted all over their walls? No one ever thinks about cockroach poop, but they should.

Find your own housing. That way you don't have to deal with some miserable provided housing.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5585 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »

Just wallpaper over it. Problem solved.  :wink:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5586 on: July 09, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »

Also, my significant other and I have considered going somewhere rural, too. Like, most of Korea outside of the big and medium cities is a ghost town. And there's always stories about these small towns that are going to stop existing cause nobody lives there and all the current residents are dying off. I feel like it'd be really affordable to live in one of those places.

But... would I want to?

Pro: dog, grow vegetables, plentiful space
Con: Lots of things

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5587 on: July 09, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
Also, my significant other and I have considered going somewhere rural, too. Like, most of Korea outside of the big and medium cities is a ghost town. And there's always stories about these small towns that are going to stop existing cause nobody lives there and all the current residents are dying off. I feel like it'd be really affordable to live in one of those places.

But... would I want to?

Or rather, very few things: no cafes, no theatres, no restaurants, no shops, no gyms...  :laugh:

Actually, I live in a fairly rural area and am really enjoying it. It's a small university town so it has all the amenities, a fair waeg population to hang out with, and is less than an hour away from a big city and all its decadent hedonism. On the other hand, it's still small enough that the truly scenic countryside is only a 15 minute walk away, and the air is less horrific than in more densely populated areas. I think that owning a vehicle really makes being in a less urban area a lot more tolerable: not having to rely on infrequent transit to go anywhere is hugely convenient.
   Also, renting a nice modern apartment for less than the typical urban one-room has totally ruined me: I'll never be able to live in a small lightless one-room "villa" directly across a vomit filled alley from the exhaust vents of a Mr. Chicken's-Delicious-Deep-fried-Chicken again.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:20:55 AM by kyndo »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5588 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Honestly, it'd probably be easier just to burn the building down. Cockroach poop caked on the walls? It'll probably be all over the place. People never question what all of that black grime is made of.

I've been thinking about moving to a more rural area for a while now, but unless I leave the comforts of EPIK it's kind of a gamble of where I'll end up, and the rural-experience between wonderful and horrific really depends a lot on location.

But I feel like I need a drastic change in scenery. And to get away from the usual bullshit.

donovan

« Reply #5589 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
Anybody get "No wifi" from a kid who's put on the spot but can't come up with the answer when called on? Something like "brainfart", I'm guessing. I though it was clever.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5590 on: July 09, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »
Honestly, it'd probably be easier just to burn the building down.

Years ago, when I was shopping for a house in rural Canada, I told my agent I was looking for fixer-upper, but not tearer-downer.

donovan

« Reply #5591 on: July 09, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

I say we start a weig commune, but call it an "English Village" and hire each other as teachers for shell hagwons to get visas and evade the authorities as we live off the land. I hear cockroach poop makes great fertilizer!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5592 on: July 09, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »
Students know I'm leaving now.

The 5th graders have been giving me  lots of "Don't go"'s and sad faces. 6th graders probably do give a shit but apart from the sweetest girls most wont show it til maaaaaaaaaybe the last day.

Relying on my countryside school here. I'm hoping to get at least a single sad tear.  :laugh:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5593 on: July 09, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »

But... would I want to?

Or rather, very few things: no cafes, no theatres, no restaurants, no shops, no gyms...  :laugh:

Actually, I live in a fairly rural area and am really enjoying it. It's a small university town so it has all the amenities, a fair waeg population to hang out with, and is less than an hour away from a big city and all its decadent hedonism. On the other hand, it's still small enough that the truly scenic countryside is only a 15 minute walk away, and the air is less horrific than in more densely populated areas. I think that owning a vehicle really makes being in a less urban area a lot more tolerable: not having to rely on infrequent transit to go anywhere is hugely convenient.
   Also, renting a nice modern apartment for less than the typical urban one-room has totally ruined me: I'll never be able to live in a small lightless one-room "villa" directly across a vomit filled alley from the exhaust vents of a Mr. Chicken's-Delicious-Deep-fried-Chicken again.  :smiley:

I'm in a super, super, tiny place in Korea. There are restaurants here, and 1 cafe (coffee and beer lol); But the no gym thing is a huge bummer. I'm not fussed about not having a theatre lol. There is also a bigger small town nearby that has shops, more restaurants and cafe's. (about 10 - 15 mins away by bus), but it also doesn't have a gym. :'(

I really enjoy my area, but it takes awhile to get to anywhere bigger. :'(

donovan

« Reply #5594 on: July 09, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »
classy, Minsu “Mandoo” Kang~ ;D

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:44:54 PM by donovan »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5595 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
Only just learned that my school didn't like the previous two NETs before me, lol. They won't go into details on why, but enough info got dropped that it's implied that they were lazy and often tried to take advantage of the school. Before then, I'd thought my school had been fine with the previous NETs.

Makes me wonder how much of what they experienced is accurate vs. perception. I've been in conversations where a NET was clearly just trying to make sure their contract terms were being honored, but the Koreans in that conversation just thought that the NET was being difficult and inflexible (even if what they were asking the NET to do is illegal). In their minds, if it's okay with Koreans, it should be okay with the NET, too. This bleeds into the mindset of "if I can't fight back, you shouldn't fight back, either." Otherwise, it's not fair.  :undecided:

On the other hand, there really are some really shitty NETs here. A lot of them, actually.

Makes me wonder what my school will say about me to future NETs once I leave, though. The shit flows both ways.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:01:26 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5596 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
How have I just this moment discovered that there is a 9th season of Curb your Enthusiasm?  :cry:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5597 on: July 10, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
Only just learned that my school didn't like the previous two NETs before me, lol. They won't go into details on why, but enough info got dropped that it's implied that they were lazy and often tried to take advantage of the school. Before then, I'd thought my school had been fine with the previous NETs.

Makes me wonder how much of what they experienced is accurate vs. perception. I've been in conversations where a NET was clearly just trying to make sure their contract terms were being honored, but the Koreans in that conversation just thought that the NET was being difficult and inflexible (even if what they were asking the NET to do is illegal). In their minds, if it's okay with Koreans, it should be okay with the NET, too. This bleeds into the mindset of "if I can't fight back, you shouldn't fight back, either." Otherwise, it's not fair.  :undecided:

On the other hand, there really are some really shitty NETs here. A lot of them, actually.

Makes me wonder what my school will say about me to future NETs once I leave, though. The shit flows both ways.

I know my school were kind of neutral on the previous NET. They said they had a good work ethic but, the problems with them lay with things outside of the school. Like the apartment, the previous NET didn't clean it a single time in the 2 years or so in their time here. Along with other things like that.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5598 on: July 10, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »
One thing you should never do or allow to be done is to be compared to the previous NET. It's bang out of order. The previous NET did this and that, why won't you do it? **** that.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5599 on: July 10, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
One thing you should never do or allow to be done is to be compared to the previous NET. It's bang out of order. The previous NET did this and that, why won't you do it? **** that.

Also, never do this with a new girlfriend.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free