February 22, 2019, 09:59:05 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 902300 times)

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5560 on: July 05, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
The price of umbrellas have shot up at the pyeongyangichoms. Used to get one for w3-4k now they are like w8-10k.

If you tried buying as it was raining its possible they just ran out of their cheap ones.

Is there another time to buy an umbrella?  :wink:

I don't think it was that though. I think maybe these umbrellas are made in Korea or something. I don't live in Seoul to get those cheap Chinese ones.

For what it's worth, I have stacks of umbrellas at home that I manage to forget and then find myself getting drenched on the way to work, but of course I refuse to buy an umbrella because I already have perfectly good umbrellas at home.

I hear you. I'm up to 5  :undecided:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5561 on: July 05, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
The price of umbrellas have shot up at the pyeongyangichoms. Used to get one for w3-4k now they are like w8-10k.

If you tried buying as it was raining its possible they just ran out of their cheap ones.

Is there another time to buy an umbrella?  :wink:

I don't think it was that though. I think maybe these umbrellas are made in Korea or something. I don't live in Seoul to get those cheap Chinese ones.

For what it's worth, I have stacks of umbrellas at home that I manage to forget and then find myself getting drenched on the way to work, but of course I refuse to buy an umbrella because I already have perfectly good umbrellas at home.

I'm sorry I've forgotten how to do that fancy picture link stuff that all the cool kids are doing these days. Just imagine a picture of Jennifer Lawrence here.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #5562 on: July 05, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
For what it's worth, I have stacks of umbrellas at home that I manage to forget and then  on the way to work, but of course I refuse to buy an umbrella because I already have perfectly good umbrellas at home.

We are one and the same. I'm not spending 4 bucks because I'm going to run 4 mins in the rain from a subway stop to a resto.
The joys of fauxtherhood

donovan

« Reply #5563 on: July 05, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
For what it's worth, I have stacks of umbrellas at home that I manage to forget and then  on the way to work, but of course I refuse to buy an umbrella because I already have perfectly good umbrellas at home.

We are one and the same. I'm not spending 4 bucks because I'm going to run 4 mins in the rain from a subway stop to a resto.

If I'm gonna blow four bucks, it'll be to wait out the rain.

I'm sorry I've forgotten how to do that fancy picture link stuff that all the cool kids are doing these days. Just imagine a picture of Jennifer Lawrence here.

Why should I bother trying to imagine when I could far more easily just put my own picture of Jennifer Lawrence here?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:01:44 PM by donovan »

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5564 on: July 05, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
I had no idea makeup was banned at my second school, or that it could be banned in general. It starts to make sense though when I realize that they're waaay more focused than the girls at my main school.  :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5565 on: July 05, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
I've been thinking more often about somehow contacting the past teachers from my school to ask them how it was for them, the ones before the person I replaced. I don't know how I'd do it or even if they're still in Korea or on this site, or how I'd put an ad out without exposing myself.

Pipe dream at best I think.
bingsu, i work at an after-school program in a public school (separate company, i'm not employed by the public school). the school manager is INSANE and the other teachers treat me with contempt. i have done nothing wrong and am professional, yet, complaints about my teaching method and ability have been mounting up. just the other day, i was doing a make-up class out of the kindness of my heart (some students had gone on a field trip and missed a class) and i played a few fun activities with them. the school manager complained to the korean after school teacher, that i was not studying enough, and she's not happy with my teaching style. why was she even watching? this has literally NOTHING to do with her, whatsoever. it's my class, and a separate company from the school. what's her problem? have i insulted her in someway? why is she talking to the korean after school teacher about me? she's not my boss. it's been like this from day 1 at this school. nothing is good enough  :rolleyes:

basically, just remember that it's not your fault. your school was most likely like this to the previous native teacher, for whatever reason. maybe the previous teacher did something wrong and now they hate you because of them. even if you could contact the previous teacher, i don't think it would help

some places are just toxic. some people are just miserable cunts. don't overthink it. water off a duck's back  :laugh:

Oh don't worry, I've decided to cut my ties here left and right so when i get back for the new semester I have no reason to give a shit anymore. If my Poe is willingly ignoring me/my problems then I assume I can ignore any semblance of professionalism here as well. All's fair right? 😉

donovan

« Reply #5566 on: July 05, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
some people are just miserable c*nts.

I can't get over how the most vile word one could say in America is thrown around like candy at a Shriners parade in the UK. I could never bring myself to say that word, but I am so unbothered by it coming from a Brit. I wish there were an American insult that worked the other way~
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:40:57 PM by donovan »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5567 on: July 05, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »

I can't get over how the most vile word one could say in America is thrown around like candy at a Shriners parade in the UK. I could never bring myself to say that word, but I am so unbothered by it coming from a Brit. I wish there were an American insult that worked the other way~

I've been told that the word "fanny" is treated as a really dirty word in various parts of the UK; meanwhile, it's a polite but cute word for buttocks in the USA that many people use when talking to children.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5568 on: July 05, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »

It's a term of endearment.I taught it to my wife. When she says "let's go then, ya c*nt" it makes me so proud it brings a tear to my eye

Edit: **** is blocked but cunts is not. Hmm
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:01:50 PM by oglop »

donovan

« Reply #5569 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
I've been told that the word "f*nny" is treated as a really dirty word in various parts of the UK; meanwhile, it's a polite but cute word for buttocks in the USA that many people use when talking to children.

I'm gonna wait for some confirmation from the Commonwealth before I try tossing it out there.

It's a term of endearment.I taught it to my wife. When she says "let's go then, ya c*nt" it makes me so proud it brings a tear to my eye

I now really want to hear a Korean woman call someone a c*nt.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5570 on: July 05, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »
I've been told that the word "f*nny" is treated as a really dirty word in various parts of the UK; meanwhile, it's a polite but cute word for buttocks in the USA that many people use when talking to children.

I'm gonna wait for some confirmation from the Commonwealth before I try tossing it out there.

I now really want to hear a Korean woman call someone a c*nt.

Generally, Canada follows the US usage, however Newfoundlanders have beem known to call people c* in all but the most formal occasions. My wife, a Manitoban who swears (a lot) gets offended when I say it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:16:49 PM by JNM »

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5571 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
Went to the new Uzbeki retaurant with a few friends just the other day. One of us, who speaks fair Russian, ordered some "kefir" to pour over the shashliks. My neighbour, a Saffer, and I nearly swallowed our tongues when we heard that.

Offline Renma

• Adventurer
« Reply #5572 on: July 05, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
I've been told that the word "fanny" is treated as a really dirty word in various parts of the UK; meanwhile, it's a polite but cute word for buttocks in the USA that many people use when talking to children.

Where i grew up it isn't really a dirty word, more used by children if anything. Also can be used if someone is being daft, i.e stop being such a fanny.

donovan

« Reply #5573 on: July 05, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
Went to the new Uzbeki retaurant with a few friends just the other day. One of us, who speaks fair Russian, ordered some "kefir" to pour over the shashliks. My neighbour, a Saffer, and I nearly swallowed our tongues when we heard that.

dunno. doesn't sound half bad to me :lipsrsealed:

Where i grew up it isn't really a dirty word, more used by children if anything. Also can be used if someone is being daft, i.e stop being such a fanny.

Yeah, I think I would feel like a priss saying it, even if I thought I could deeply offend someone saying it.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5574 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »

In NZ, it's used by young kids (pre teens), as a slang word for a woman's special lady part.
At least, back in my day that's how it was used. :o

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5575 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:28 PM »

"Kefir" sounds a lot like "Kaffir"

donovan

« Reply #5576 on: July 05, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »

"Kefir" sounds a lot like "Kaffir"

Ah :-[

That wiki page you linked to says the term evolved from "cafri"? Suppose there could be a connection with the Korean beer?* :huh:

*That the beer is named after the term, not that the term somehow sprouted from the beer.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:46:23 PM by donovan »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5577 on: July 05, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5578 on: July 05, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
I've been thinking more often about somehow contacting the past teachers from my school to ask them how it was for them, the ones before the person I replaced. I don't know how I'd do it or even if they're still in Korea or on this site, or how I'd put an ad out without exposing myself.

Pipe dream at best I think.
bingsu, i work at an after-school program in a public school (separate company, i'm not employed by the public school). the school manager is INSANE and the other teachers treat me with contempt. i have done nothing wrong and am professional, yet, complaints about my teaching method and ability have been mounting up. just the other day, i was doing a make-up class out of the kindness of my heart (some students had gone on a field trip and missed a class) and i played a few fun activities with them. the school manager complained to the korean after school teacher, that i was not studying enough, and she's not happy with my teaching style. why was she even watching? this has literally NOTHING to do with her, whatsoever. it's my class, and a separate company from the school. what's her problem? have i insulted her in someway? why is she talking to the korean after school teacher about me? she's not my boss. it's been like this from day 1 at this school. nothing is good enough  :rolleyes:

basically, just remember that it's not your fault. your school was most likely like this to the previous native teacher, for whatever reason. maybe the previous teacher did something wrong and now they hate you because of them. even if you could contact the previous teacher, i don't think it would help

some places are just toxic. some people are just miserable cunts. don't overthink it. water off a duck's back  :laugh:

Oh don't worry, I've decided to cut my ties here left and right so when i get back for the new semester I have no reason to give a shit anymore. If my Poe is willingly ignoring me/my problems then I assume I can ignore any semblance of professionalism here as well. All's fair right? 😉

The guy you're quoting mentioned in another thread that he got an A in his CELTA, which indicates a *very* competent ESL teacher. The woman who made trouble for him has probably never taught an ESL class in her life. Don't take the complaints of Korean teachers to heart.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5579 on: July 05, 2018, 07:37:56 PM »
sorry, i wasn't trying to show off by saying that

but yeah, the woman is an absolute jobsworth. it would be comical if my very nice korean co-worker didn't keep getting it in the neck (regarding me) from her