August 22, 2018, 09:34:08 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 746807 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5540 on: June 04, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
It's unfortunate, at one of my schools we got a bunch of soccer students. They have this "I'm a soccer team student so I don't have to study" mentality. They are like this with all the Korean teachers as well. about 90% of the students have become super disruptive in the class now too. I used to use methods to get them to police themselves, but they greatly out number the good students now, so it's no longer working. In a class of 20, like 16 or so, have just become so disruptive (there might only be 5 - 6 soccer player students in the class, but the other 9 - 10 love soccer too, so they join in on that mentality).

I hope your students soon realise that they have almost no chance to become a professional football player. They'll be better off studying.

Yeah, you wanna focus on soccer, that's fine. But it's like making being an astronaut your only priority, or being CEO. There's only so many jobs like that.

OH WAIT, getting a Master's in Engineering or a Master's in Business Administration is super useful and opens the door to so many different jobs.

Learning to kick a ball really well basically has one application.

Stay in academics kids.

To be fair, being athletic and attractive can open a lot of opportunities in life, too, though.

Not as many as being athletic, attractive, and having an MBA/MEng!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5541 on: June 04, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
To be fair, being athletic and attractive can open a lot of opportunities in life, too, though.

Well, yeah............. haha. There are a lot of jobs in sports, but if you f up all your academics and only can kick a ball around, you're closing a lot of doors to the administrative/business side of sports, too.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5542 on: June 04, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
It's unfortunate, at one of my schools we got a bunch of soccer students. They have this "I'm a soccer team student so I don't have to study" mentality. They are like this with all the Korean teachers as well. about 90% of the students have become super disruptive in the class now too. I used to use methods to get them to police themselves, but they greatly out number the good students now, so it's no longer working. In a class of 20, like 16 or so, have just become so disruptive (there might only be 5 - 6 soccer player students in the class, but the other 9 - 10 love soccer too, so they join in on that mentality).

I hope your students soon realise that they have almost no chance to become a professional football player. They'll be better off studying.

Yeah, you wanna focus on soccer, that's fine. But it's like making being an astronaut your only priority, or being CEO. There's only so many jobs like that.

OH WAIT, getting a Master's in Engineering or a Master's in Business Administration is super useful and opens the door to so many different jobs.

Stay in academics kids.

I love football.  When I was a secondary school student, I played all the time.  I played for my county.  When I was 16 I was offered a professional contract for a, then second division team, but declined it.  Usually, from my boy students I got a few, 'why!!!'.  I'd say that football players in England aren't the smartest, I felt I could do better.  I coached my students here and I can see things in decent players, and also whether they have the temperament to make it.

Yonks ago, there was boy who transferred to my middle school.  He played for the county.  His parents farmed him out to his grandparents in my village, who used to beat him.  He was a good player but his home life was not helping him.  Thing was, he smoked a lot in the toilets, and he bullied other students, and he swore a lot.  Also every football tournament, he was captain, but without fail he'd get sent off every game.  The PE teacher loved him and the students thought he was ace, but I just couldn't see him going any further than what he'd done already.  Say it was the circumstances, but he isn't going anywhere. 

I have quite a few students who are sports players, but they only 'study' in the morning and even then they don't do anything.  It's such a crazy 'practice, practice, practice' life.  The four archery students practice from 12pm to 9pm everyday.  If they fail, they have nothing to fall back on.  I prefer the French system where they're expected to juggle playing and studying to get basic qualifications.  That's why French football players make good commentators on tv, they actually have an education.  Same goes for Dutch/Danish etc.

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5543 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

Stay in academics kids.

Yep. Cannot agree more.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5544 on: June 04, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
I have quite a few students who are sports players, but they only 'study' in the morning and even then they don't do anything.  It's such a crazy 'practice, practice, practice' life.  The four archery students practice from 12pm to 9pm everyday.  If they fail, they have nothing to fall back on.  I prefer the French system where they're expected to juggle playing and studying to get basic qualifications.  That's why French football players make good commentators on tv, they actually have an education.  Same goes for Dutch/Danish etc.

Exactly, you're in class learning. You literally can't be practicing for soccer, SO, do a good job. Maybe you're not a A+ student, fair play. But try and get some decent marks at least. The world is your oyster if you have decent marks at 18. If you f'ed up your entire academic career at 18 but are good at kicking a ball, your choices become a lot more narrow.

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5545 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »

Exactly, you're in class learning. You literally can't be practicing for soccer, SO, do a good job. Maybe you're not a A+ student, fair play. But try and get some decent marks at least. The world is your oyster if you have decent marks at 18. If you f'ed up your entire academic career at 18 but are good at kicking a ball, your choices become a lot more narrow.
Another quality post by the legendary CO2

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5546 on: June 04, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
Who's up for a Gimchee Dzigae on Wednesday? I know a great place in Pusan.  8)
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5547 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Another quality post by the legendary CO2
A 큰절 for you.

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5548 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
Haha. I do too. >.< Last semester this used to be my favourite school to teach at. Now... I'm extremely happy that I have the next 2 Wednesday's off work. :P

You seem very excited about your next two Wednesdays!
Did you post about your Wednesdays in other thread as well? Pretty sure I've seen another post about being off for next two Wednesdays.

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5549 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »

Too bad, I'm on the other side of the globe.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5550 on: June 04, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

Exactly this. My students mentality is basically: This isn't soccer, so it's boring and not worth my time.
When they actually try, in English, its: read the words on the piece of paper and fill in the blanks with "play soccer."
You end up with things like "What is your name, play soccer?" "My name is play soccer." OK teacher, finished!
Getting them to do anything more than that, is like pulling teeth. Hell, even if I try to do a game based lesson its just "No game, teacher. Play soccer, please?!"

At the beginning of the year, a bunch of my good students actually transferred schools because of them. And a lot of teachers left the school knowing that the old principal, just before he retired, accepted the soccer students (it's a private school).

I mean, not everything you learn in school is going to be useful, but at least it gives you options to fall back on should you need them. The students don't seem to grasp that, even when my co-teacher tried to explain it to them. haha

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5551 on: June 04, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »

I'm def down for some keemstar g-gay on When's day? But let's not go to PBusan, tis a silly place. Let's go to hawngday in Saw-ool.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5552 on: June 04, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

I'd be down if I could get to busan and back. However, buses to and from busan, from my area, all finish SUPER early. (I think 1 30pm is the latest bus, and it's only a 3 hour bus ride).

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5553 on: June 04, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Haha. I do too. >.< Last semester this used to be my favourite school to teach at. Now... I'm extremely happy that I have the next 2 Wednesday's off work. :P

Did you post about your Wednesdays in other thread as well? Pretty sure I've seen another post about being off for next two Wednesdays.

That was Chinguetti's spaghetti that's ready Freddy Eddy, teddy.
I did make a comment on it though :D

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5554 on: June 04, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
I'm clicking on every single one of eujunseo's posts cuz I'm never certain if they're a link or not.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5555 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »

I'm def down for some keemstar g-gay on When's day? But let's not go to PBusan, tis a silly place. Let's go to hawngday in Saw-ool.

My maaaan. Changing the game one romaneyesation at a time. Bring the Markoolaids kid.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5556 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »

That was Chinguetti's spaghetti that's ready Freddy Eddy, teddy.
I did make a comment on it though :D

:)

Online eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5557 on: June 04, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
I'm clicking on every single one of eujunseo's posts cuz I'm never certain if they're a link or not.

Blue is love, blue is life.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5558 on: June 04, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »

Be sick if it was some sort of long game strategy for slipping in sly links down the road.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5559 on: June 04, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »

Blue is love, blue is life.

Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen