December 10, 2018, 04:10:10 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 844922 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5540 on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:48 AM »
This takes place in my province, too.

And the only thing that the kids want (and expect) to do is play games, lol. But my school wants them working on projects so that it'll have something to show off by the end of the year. When I don't give the students games, they try to check out and pretend they don't understand the activities so that they can drag their feet (they believe that if they do this often enough, that I'll give up and they can at least have free time). I don't let them get away with it, but it's definitely a struggle, and projects that should take no more than three weeks to complete end up taking around five because I have to micromanage just to make sure everyone is pulling their own weights.

I plan on playing dirty this year.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5541 on: July 04, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »
I have been doing this for 5 years, as my previous school was one of the pilot schools, and I don't care for it. If they do do it, it should be during the very first semester. I don't remember 2nd grade middle schoolers being as S*&&# as they are now days, since the change. It is like if they do it in the second semester (especially) they lack motivation (even more so than before) when it comes time to get to business. In my opinion, it slowly erases a certain kind of drive to focus. Anyway... At least this semester is almost done. Just a downer that I only have a week before the beginning of the next...

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5542 on: July 04, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Do they have their exams after the first semester then the free semester? or they still have final exams at the end of it all?

Because surely that's better. Otherwise they'll be "free" for a semester then have to kick into study mode after enjoying themselves?

Harder for teachers maybe, but isn't this way better for students? If they are going to insist on one semester being free at all I mean.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #5543 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
My college had a "free" semester for incoming freshmen (our grades were covered/secret for that semester). It was to help us "adjust" to the rigors of college and try some classes or subjects we might not be the best in, but have an interest in. I thought that might be the idea here as well...

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5544 on: July 04, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
Do they have their exams after the first semester then the free semester? or they still have final exams at the end of it all?

Because surely that's better. Otherwise they'll be "free" for a semester then have to kick into study mode after enjoying themselves?

Harder for teachers maybe, but isn't this way better for students? If they are going to insist on one semester being free at all I mean.

I suppose it may be done differently at different schools. Currently (this year), my students have a free semester their first semester, and then final exams. Next semester they have the free semester and try so hard to forget everything. When they become 2nd graders they have lost all motivation, and the scores from the first semester are used to determine their levels for the first semester of 2nd grade, you know, eight months after they  have been in study mode. It would make more sense, to me, to do it the first semester while they are also intrigued with being in new classes and a new environment, and then after be acclimated, get them into study mode to continue on...

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5545 on: July 04, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
Just remembered that the coT at one school I taught at insisted that we still cover the textbook during the free semester. The students just never got tested on any of it.

I understood her feelings on that (she was too afraid that they'd fall behind everyone else, and she wanted to keep them on the level), but had we tested them they probably would've scored -10%, for all the good it did them.

Anyway, I had one coT tell me that they're doing the free semester thing partially as an experiment, and yeah, they're trying to do things how they do it in countries like Switzerland. The problem is that they're using a method that was created for a specific education system and from a different culture, and Korea hasn't done anything to "customize" it to fit their own system. So then it falls on the schools to try to make it fit, and most of them don't know what they're doing. Some of them will send their principals over to those countries to observe the system (I don't really know how much "observing" they do, though), then the principals return to implement whatever however they see fit. From my own experience so far, a lot of the times it comes down to making posters, writing "essays", or making anything that can be displayed in the regional show-and-tell. It's really hit or miss. 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5546 on: July 04, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »

I suppose it may be done differently at different schools. Currently (this year), my students have a free semester their first semester, and then final exams. Next semester they have the free semester and try so hard to forget everything. When they become 2nd graders they have lost all motivation, and the scores from the first semester are used to determine their levels for the first semester of 2nd grade, you know, eight months after they  have been in study mode. It would make more sense, to me, to do it the first semester while they are also intrigued with being in new classes and a new environment, and then after be acclimated, get them into study mode to continue on...

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. Especially coming from 6th grade where the second semester is a bit of a free for all too  :laugh: but sometimes I feel the short sharp shock of middle school is good for them.
I sometimes see students from my elementary school a few months after they've moved to middle and the difference in their attitudes is incredible. From little monsters to semi respectful polite kids. I don't know how they act in class though haha

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5547 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
We still use the textbook during the free semester at my school. We have to finish the book, after all. They aren't tested on it at the end, though, and since school here revolves around testing, that gives me a semester's worth of lame duck students to close out the year. It also means I'll have a frustratingly high percentage of new 2nd graders the next year who never really learned everything they should have the previous year, because there was no motivation to retain anything.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5548 on: July 04, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »
We still use the textbook during the free semester at my school. We have to finish the book, after all. They aren't tested on it at the end, though, and since school here revolves around testing, that gives me a semester's worth of lame duck students to close out the year. It also means I'll have a frustratingly high percentage of new 2nd graders the next year who never really learned everything they should have the previous year, because there was no motivation to retain anything.

:afro: :huh: This.  :cry:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5549 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
"Teacher! I thought I did good on test!"

*Shows me the 9/10 that I gave them*

Did I lie? :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5550 on: July 04, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the more advanced students think that "good" means a perfect score. And they really, really want it.

I started writing really detailed notes about what mistakes students make during the exams because I got questioned so often about why such-and-such student didn't receive a 100. When I first got here, they literally expected me to give 100s to around 5-10 students in each class (and pushed hard for them). As it is, only 5-7 students in the entire school actually earn a 100 every semester. Still get plenty of 90s and 95s, but that 100 is rare.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5551 on: July 04, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the more advanced students think that "good" means a perfect score. And they really, really want it.

I started writing really detailed notes about what mistakes students make during the exams because I got questioned so often about why such-and-such student didn't receive a 100. When I first got here, they literally expected me to give 100s to around 5-10 students in each class (and pushed hard for them). As it is, only 5-7 students in the entire school actually earn a 100 every semester. Still get plenty of 90s and 95s, but that 100 is rare.

I was being fairly lenient when it came to grading each of them (I know they can't help some of the mistakes that were taught to them in the past), but it can only go so far. I also need to make a habit of not saying "Good." to indicate they've finished their test.  :-[
The World Ends With You

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5552 on: July 04, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
At my school (and perhaps all schools in my province?), middle school first graders have a "Free semester." That means that for one semester, they don't have exams, and they have a fun project or field trip instead. Now, you'd think that the free semester would be first semester, so the school would be able to give them cumulative end of year exams to see how they're doing. However, for both of the years since this policy began, the free semester has been the second semester.

That means not only will the school not be able to measure their progress before they move on to the second grade, but I'll also have an entire grade of students who know that they aren't going to be graded on anything meaningful for the entire second half of the school year.

Hooray!

A Junior-high teacher in Canada once told me that the learning curve is quite flat during that phase of development. She saw herself as a glorified baby-sitter more than a teacher.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5553 on: July 05, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
I just saw that largest hornet I've ever seen in my life. It was one of those terrifying asian hornets you hear about but never seem as scary in person, except this one was scary. It was at least as big as my thumb. My students were surprisingly composed, all things considered, especially the way some people here go on about how scare Koreans are of nature. They watched it for a bit, then went and got a can of spray poison to kill it. It must've taken half the can to down that sucker, too. Normally I'm more the "catch and release" type, but in that case I was willing to make an exception.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5554 on: July 05, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
I've been thinking more often about somehow contacting the past teachers from my school to ask them how it was for them, the ones before the person I replaced. I don't know how I'd do it or even if they're still in Korea or on this site, or how I'd put an ad out without exposing myself.

Pipe dream at best I think.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5555 on: July 05, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
I've been thinking more often about somehow contacting the past teachers from my school to ask them how it was for them, the ones before the person I replaced. I don't know how I'd do it or even if they're still in Korea or on this site, or how I'd put an ad out without exposing myself.

Pipe dream at best I think.
bingsu, i work at an after-school program in a public school (separate company, i'm not employed by the public school). the school manager is INSANE and the other teachers treat me with contempt. i have done nothing wrong and am professional, yet, complaints about my teaching method and ability have been mounting up. just the other day, i was doing a make-up class out of the kindness of my heart (some students had gone on a field trip and missed a class) and i played a few fun activities with them. the school manager complained to the korean after school teacher, that i was not studying enough, and she's not happy with my teaching style. why was she even watching? this has literally NOTHING to do with her, whatsoever. it's my class, and a separate company from the school. what's her problem? have i insulted her in someway? why is she talking to the korean after school teacher about me? she's not my boss. it's been like this from day 1 at this school. nothing is good enough  :rolleyes:

basically, just remember that it's not your fault. your school was most likely like this to the previous native teacher, for whatever reason. maybe the previous teacher did something wrong and now they hate you because of them. even if you could contact the previous teacher, i don't think it would help

some places are just toxic. some people are just miserable cunts. don't overthink it. water off a duck's back  :laugh:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5556 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
The price of umbrellas have shot up at the pyeongyangichoms. Used to get one for w3-4k now they are like w8-10k.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

donovan

« Reply #5557 on: July 05, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »
The price of umbrellas have shot up at the pyeongyangichoms. Used to get one for w3-4k now they are like w8-10k.

If you tried buying as it was raining its possible they just ran out of their cheap ones.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5558 on: July 05, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »

If you tried buying as it was raining its possible they just ran out of their cheap ones.

Is there another time to buy an umbrella?  :wink:

I don't think it was that though. I think maybe these umbrellas are made in Korea or something. I don't live in Seoul to get those cheap Chinese ones.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

donovan

« Reply #5559 on: July 05, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »

Is there another time to buy an umbrella?  :wink:

I don't think it was that though. I think maybe these umbrellas are made in Korea or something. I don't live in Seoul to get those cheap Chinese ones.

For what it's worth, I have stacks of umbrellas at home that I manage to forget and then find myself getting drenched on the way to work, but of course I refuse to buy an umbrella because I already have perfectly good umbrellas at home.