September 23, 2018, 04:55:16 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771364 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5460 on: May 25, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »
Saw this in this Buzzfeed article list:

Anyone know what coffee shop this is/was?

조아찌, just west of Jeju-Si

제주특별자치도 제주시 테우해안로 160
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5461 on: May 25, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
That's a long ways out for coffee, even if it's tastefully snarky.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5462 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
That coffee shop just copied a French cafe that did basically the same thing. Koreans don't tend to have original ideas.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5463 on: May 26, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »

I have a feeling this is gonna start an argument but:

I don't think teachers should have to teach kids basic skills and manners. They should get that from their parents, "home training" is what we called it when I was in elementary school.

what do you guys think

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5464 on: May 26, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »

I don't think teachers should have to teach kids basic skills and manners. They should get that from their parents, "home training" is what we called it when I was in elementary school.

what do you guys think

I get it. There's only so much we can do. It's the parent's child, they're our studentS.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5465 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »

what do you guys think

Manners are a cultural thing, so I don't think you are in a position to complain here.

I do, however, agree with the sentiment. (Unless you are teaching in a foreign school, where the environment is British/French/German, and the "school rules" expect conduct to those cultural norms, which might not be familiar to all students.)

donovan

« Reply #5466 on: May 26, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
As a cultural thing, manners tend to be enforced by society as a whole. A teacher is a member of society who happens to have a lot of face time with students who have bad manners. When confronted with infractions that are particularly egregious anywhere in a civic space, people generally act to uphold societal standards. A teacher just finds herself in this position far more often than the typical subway commuter. I suppose she could try to take it upon herself and make a ‘manners’ lesson, but she’d probably be wasting her breath as the students are probably already aware of the behavior that’s expected of them; they just choose to flaunt it.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5467 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »

what do you guys think

Only so much we as teachers can do when we can't properly punish students, and the parents won't do anything about their children acting horribly. Though I also don't think I've experienced parents expecting me to teach their kids manners...
The World Ends With You

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5468 on: May 26, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
Oh don't worry, I was browsing other teaching forums/teachers posts from America and iirc it's a common thing back home for parents to want teachers to do the whole "parenting" thing for them. I figured I'd propose it here to a difference audience and see what everyone else thought about it in Korea/other Asian countries.

donovan

« Reply #5469 on: May 28, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
Why don't people transition from open windows to fans before turning on the air con (that drips on my desk)?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:40:57 AM by donovan »

donovan

« Reply #5470 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
Why don't people transition from open windows to fans before turning on the air con (that drips on my desk)?

The fact that nobody uses fans here drives me insane.

"Oh. They're dusty." - Then... like, clean them? They literally just unscrew and you can give them a rinse.

"Oh. Students feel hot." Um... fans can help with that. You don't need to jump right to aircon.

I hate aircon unless it's absolutely necessary. Fans are great, though.

I even devised a waygook.org-user-#basedcowboyshirt's-#based-lifehacks-worthy way to ensure airflow without anyone's papers flying off their desk; point it above everyone's head.

Yeah, just seems like a total waste of energy. I also get way colder (and wetter) than anyone else.

Personal battery-powered handheld fans on the other hand...? Blow with abandon!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:52:08 AM by donovan »

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5471 on: May 28, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

"Oh. They're dusty." - Then... like, clean them? They literally just unscrew and you can give them a rinse.

"Oh. Students feel hot." Um... fans can help with that. You don't need to jump right to aircon.

I've never had any schools/students/coworkers that hesitated to use fans. It actually sounds pretty weird to me that there are schools out there that are quick to use the AC, haha.

What gets me is students going for the fans and shouting "Teacher, hot!"...

...while sitting there in their sweatshirts and blazers.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5472 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
12-13th: Jeonju

20-22: Yeosu

27th: Chuncheon

For the last 3 weekends, I have been to 3 different provinces. (I live in Gyeonggi).

A rolling stone gathers no moss. I went to Chuncheon to see Isle of Dogs. It was only playing in 6 cities for 2 different days and Chuncheon is the closest. Jesus Christ. hahahhaa

Recommended though. There's a scene where a Bento box is made and the stop-motion animiation for those 2 mins blew my mind.

SPEAKING OF

I have now been within 6 inches of a Gromit model used in the Wallace and Gromit films. Life is good. I recommend heading over to DDP to check it out.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5473 on: May 28, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

To be fair, I personally jump straight to aircon myself. Though, usually just because it is a lot quicker at cooling me / the room down. When it's not hot enough to constantly run it. I run both the AC and a fan, and then turn the AC off once I feel like I've cooled down.
During hot and humid weather, I get eczema really badly. Which is why I always want to cool down very quickly. :p

donovan

« Reply #5474 on: May 28, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
During hot and humid weather, I get eczema really badly. Which is why I always want to cool down very quickly. :p

Eczema's no joke. Take care of that. My coworkers have perfect skin though :-*

I went to Chuncheon to see Isle of Dogs. It was only playing in 6 cities for 2 different days and Chuncheon is the closest. Jesus Christ. hahahhaa

Good excuse to get out. Duck galbi does happen to be exceptional there.

I just watched Black Panther for the first time last night with my wife. I can't recommend much more than the Busan scene, and even then only to expats who've been around a while.

When I roll up to the club, I be like...

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5475 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
Seven weeks left of the semester!  :smiley:

Followed by camp & deskwarming......  :sad:

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5476 on: May 28, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »

I just watched Black Panther for the first time last night with my wife. I can't recommend much more than the Busan scene, and even then only to expats who've been around a while.

When I roll up to the club, I be like...

Now that you say that, I have to agree that it is the best scene in the movie overall. Honestly, I couldn't buy into the hype that surrounded it when it first came out, social significance aside. It's no better than the average Marvel movie.
The World Ends With You

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5477 on: May 28, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »
Seven weeks left of the semester!  :smiley:

Followed by camp & deskwarming......  :sad:

And vacation :D

donovan

« Reply #5478 on: May 28, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »

Now that you say that, I have to agree that it is the best scene in the movie overall. Honestly, I couldn't buy into the hype that surrounded it when it first came out, social significance aside. It's no better than the average Marvel movie.

To the movie's defense, I haven't liked a movie in a long time ('Lion' being a notable exception).

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5479 on: May 28, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »

To the movie's defense, I haven't liked a movie in a long time ('Lion' being a notable exception).

It was all the forced non geographically specific "African" accents that did me in.  Seriously the casting call must have read:

Black actors needed, must be able to sound like you are from somewhere between Cairo and Capetown.