November 20, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 816145 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5460 on: June 26, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

20 days left of term. The last 20 days of my Korean teaching career. Every day I'm losing the last fucks I was managing to scrape together.

Congrats!

It must feel incredibly liberating knowing that the end is in sight.  I don't think I'd be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Are you putting any effort into your final classes?  I wouldn't  :laugh:

For years I've seen people talk about their last month or so and never quite got it until now. It's weird because I am putting in a little effort because I want the students to have fun and enjoy my time with them, but I've given up all hopes of teaching them English. I just want it to be easy and enjoyable for everyone involved.

donovan

« Reply #5461 on: June 26, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
On the Hyundai cars, why when the 'fuel left in kilometres' gauge reaches '50kms left', it goes blank like this '--'?  Surely, that's when you need it most.

It isn't just Hyundai.  They all to that.

They don't count to the bottom because the number us an estimate based on the last (???) km driven. If you drive mostly highway, and you are city-driving those last 50 might be closer to 20!

I read <---> as "you are on your own, buddy!"

We have a Kia too, and that will count you down all the way.  This Hyundai and the previous one both did the '--', followed by a Korean voice doing an evil cackle!  Only part of that previous sentence was true.

How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5462 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
How often do you find yourself driving with less than an eighth of a tank?! hahaha :laugh:

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Ended up running out of gas while on my way somewhere three times.

donovan

« Reply #5463 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »

I did this a lot because I hated stopping off at gas stations, so I'd always tell myself I'd get the next station.

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5464 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

Can be bad for your engine, no? Not just running out of gas, but even just driving when it's low...

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5465 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Yes.

Dirt in your tank settles to the bottom, so a full tank is providing cleaner fuel.

Also, on cold weather more air space in your tank means more water condensing and further contaminating your fuel.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5466 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

It is, but I was in high school at the time.

The car itself was a beat-up old '86 Ford Supra anyway. First car, paid for with money from a part-time job, so it was the sort of thing that most car buyers would only look at for parts to cherry up other cars. Literally ate up oil, so I had to pour in a bottle of oil every week just to make sure it stayed above that little safety mark. Black, leather interior, and a clear sun roof, no working A/C, in Texas -- I overlooked a bag of groceries in there, once, and it had some eggs. When I found them a few hours later, they were cooked.

So I think between being young and stupid, I was just a glutton for punishment. I still miss that piece of shit, though. It had the most powerful engine, literally 0 to 60 with just tapping the pedal.

I'm not trying to be pedantic because I'm literally not a car person, but weren't Supras made by Toyota? I didn't know this at all, but I wanted to see what your old car looked like so I Googled 'Ford Supra' and only Toyotas came up.

donovan

« Reply #5467 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
impressive car!

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5468 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
My local grocery store, 하모니 마트, is literally right behind my building. Besides the limited cereal options, the only thing that bugs me is that the big liter water packs are all kept outside, in front of the store. I wasn't too bothered at first, but it's been hot lately, and that's no good for anyone buying this stuff  :undecided:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5469 on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »
I'm not trying to be pedantic because I'm literally not a car person, but weren't Supras made by Toyota? I didn't know this at all, but I wanted to see what your old car looked like so I Googled 'Ford Supra' and only Toyotas came up.

No, you're right, I had a brain hemorrhage and typed the wrong make.

Anyway this was my first car, just crappier.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5470 on: June 26, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »

No, you're right, I had a brain hemorrhage and typed the wrong make.

Anyway this was my first car, just crappier.

That's pretty cool.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5471 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
My local grocery store, 하모니 마트, is literally right behind my building. Besides the limited cereal options, the only thing that bugs me is that the big liter water packs are all kept outside, in front of the store. I wasn't too bothered at first, but it's been hot lately, and that's no good for anyone buying this stuff  :undecided:
haha yeah. the marts near me keep their fruit juices outside all year. frozen daily in winter, warmed up daily in summer. ugh

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5472 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »
This was my car, colour and all; chicks were NOT picked up. But, my grandma did gift it to me, so it only cost me 60$ at city hall to transfer ownership. Also, my mom legally owned it, but it was my car, she never used it, so my insurance was wayyyyyy cheaper. 50 yr old mom vs 18 yr old guy, no contest on insurance rates. hahaha

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5473 on: June 26, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
This was my car, colour and all; chicks were NOT picked up. But, my grandma did gift it to me, so it only cost me 60$ at city hall to transfer ownership. Also, my mom legally owned it, but it was my car, she never used it, so my insurance was wayyyyyy cheaper. 50 yr old mom vs 18 yr old guy, no contest on insurance rates. hahaha

This was my first car.....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/1987-90_Chevrolet_Celebrity_Sedan.jpg

I swear mine had rust holes so big on the side that you could dive into one if you were getting shot at.

donovan

« Reply #5474 on: June 26, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »
My first (and as it happens, only) car when I was 16: 1985 Lincoln Town Car

Same year I was born :azn:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5475 on: June 26, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
A weird aside, but Ali G made me think of my favourite Borat clip from the TV show. I know a lot of people have seen the movie, but his TV clips are all priceless, too!

2:11, so classic.

EDIT Last 45 seconds are pretty damn NSFW, didn't remember that part. hahaha

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:20:31 PM by CO2 »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #5476 on: June 26, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
Donovan, that car must have been packed with girls, but you were also broke from it only doing 2 miles to the gallon.  The proverbial magnet! Aaaiiiiieeeee!  Respect!

Yes, The Girls delighted in that car, and luckily we never traveled much farther than the bingo hall, so I didn't have to fill it up more than once a week.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5477 on: June 26, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
Donovan, that car must have been packed with girls, but you were also broke from it only doing 2 miles to the gallon.  The proverbial magnet! Aaaiiiiieeeee!  Respect!

Yes, The Girls delighted in that car, and luckily we never traveled much farther than the bingo hall, so I didn't have to fill it up more than once a week.
My school is blocking the link, so I'm gonna assume its for "The Bang Bus" or something equally depraved.

For shame.  >:(

donovan

« Reply #5478 on: June 26, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »

My school is blocking the link, so I'm gonna assume its for "The Bang Bus" or something equally depraved.

For shame.  >:(

'Bingo hall' was a dead giveaway, wasn't it? :sad:

donovan

« Reply #5479 on: June 26, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
I just met a former student on he bus. He says hes trying to get into a boys high school next year. Why? Its hard to compete with the girls. Their (not so secret) weapon? Paper organizers ;D