November 21, 2018, 02:28:27 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 816542 times)

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5420 on: June 21, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »
A look back at the waygook archives. Big shout out to JejuJohn77. Hilarious. http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=109589.0

strong post by Mr John Jeju there  :laugh:

will the mods on here ever get it? there have been soooo many complaints about them over the years.

funnily enough, good old DMT (DeMartino) always manages to evade getting any type of warning at all, despite blatantly violating the ToS on numerous occasions. on of his most recent posts being a direct insult against another member. i'll report the post and let's see what happens, my guess is nothing at all.

I didn't know there were ToS for this site. Also, DMT is my new favorite nickname for the artist (I) previously referred to as 'Tino.

EDIT:
Unacceptable Behaviour
- Harassment, personal attacks and name calling

LOL. Good joke.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:54:43 PM by tylerthegloob »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5421 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
Today's round of speaking test delinquents weren't as painful as their predecessors. Maybe my tortured expressions have made the rounds and the kids are taking pity on me. More to come tomorrow.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5422 on: June 22, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
Not trying to be a dick, but I've been at this school for 4yrs, with the same CT and things are getting ridiculous.

She's very kind and offers me coffee at least twice a week. I only drink coffee before I train or in absolute emergencies and not more than 1/3rd of a cup, I've never been a fan of bitter things and it tends to give me a stomachache; she knows this.
Still... despite having told her at least 100 times, she'll still bring me coffee, sometimes she'll even buy me Starbucks.

Her English is fantastic, we have long conversations so it's not a misunderstanding. I can't figure out what she's trying to do, get me to like the stuff?

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #5423 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
We had speaking tests this week, too.

Luckily I'm only responsible for the 1st graders, and the other foreign teacher who works with grade 1 shares my grading strategy. It's been INCREDIBLY smooth sailing. After reading the speaking test horror stories, I was quite worried. We only have six classes of 25 students, though, so that probably contributes to them being manageable.

One of the potential questions the students could answer was "Tell us about your role model." One girl gave such an amazing speech about her mom that I got all teary-eyed. Lol.

I am so glad it's Friday, though. I worked last weekend and I've reached the "walking zombie" level of exhaustion. I'm going to Spaland and probably spending an hour in one of those crazy awesome massage chairs.

@aristocrat, I also get handed coffee all the time, despite repeatedly telling my coworkers that I'm sensitive to caffeine. I'm going to actually drink it one of these days just so they can see why I avoid it.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

donovan

« Reply #5424 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
Classes feel more and more like an interruption to my sitting-at-my-desk time.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5425 on: June 22, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Not trying to be a dick, but I've been at this school for 4yrs, with the same CT and things are getting ridiculous.

She's very kind and offers me coffee at least twice a week. I only drink coffee before I train or in absolute emergencies and not more than 1/3rd of a cup, I've never been a fan of bitter things and it tends to give me a stomachache; she knows this.
Still... despite having told her at least 100 times, she'll still bring me coffee, sometimes she'll even buy me Starbucks.

Her English is fantastic, we have long conversations so it's not a misunderstanding. I can't figure out what she's trying to do, get me to like the stuff?

She sounds like a real monster.

Online keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5426 on: June 22, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

Well... it IS a thread for pointless ramblings. What do you expect?  ;D
I'd be slightly annoyed too, Aristocrat. #solidarity

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5427 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »

Well... it IS a thread for pointless ramblings. What do you expect?  ;D
I'd be slightly annoyed too, Aristocrat. #solidarity

I knew I should have put some  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: emojis so I wouldn't get taken seriously. lol

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5428 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
I think something finally bust my brain today.

Marking my students essays (320 this week), I noticed one class where four students had very similar essays.  What made it more strange was that there was another student in a completely different class with a similar essay, but a different question.  What finally twigged, was that I thought it was strange that students would write 'I live by the motto.....'  All of them had different mottos and then some very similar writing all the way through.  None of them were sitting together during the test either.  I'm so confused.  I told my co-teacher and she was as baffled as me.  To me, it's not really cheating, but it's Friday and I'm knackered.  :undecided:
Perhaps something from a book, movie, or TV show?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5429 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
I think something finally bust my brain today.

Marking my students essays (320 this week), I noticed one class where four students had very similar essays.  What made it more strange was that there was another student in a completely different class with a similar essay, but a different question.  What finally twigged, was that I thought it was strange that students would write 'I live by the motto.....'  All of them had different mottos and then some very similar writing all the way through.  None of them were sitting together during the test either.  I'm so confused.  I told my co-teacher and she was as baffled as me.  To me, it's not really cheating, but it's Friday and I'm knackered.  :undecided:
Perhaps something from a book, movie, or TV show?
my guess would be famous youtuber said it

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5430 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
보이루 보이루~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5431 on: June 22, 2018, 06:00:48 PM »
Do you think they just got together and copied each other as a group, making sure to change the topics so that the essays appear "different?"

Word gets around in my school about what questions I might ask during the speaking exam, for example (all provided to them prior to the exam, but they won't know which ones I'll ask or when), and a pattern gets determined. Then they kind of "coach" each other on how to answer and when. So what I end up with is a bunch of students telling me that the most important thing in their life is family in response to the question, "What are you going to do this weekend?" Because they're all expecting the same round of questions that I might have asked a different class. But I always change up which questions I ask and in what order I ask them for each class.

They try to beat the system by memorizing what they feel like will get them a good grade. Friends tell friends in other classes, and then classmates pass it on to other classmates. I even warn them that this isn't going to work for my exam and why it isn't going to work, and that they actually have to put in the effort to recognize the questions as they're being asked and respond appropriately to them, but there are still always a bunch of students who gamble and lose.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:08:12 PM by Chinguetti »

donovan

« Reply #5432 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »
Iíve discovered how menswear shops can get away with murderous prices for seemingly modest ajeossi polos: They double as athletic wear for your evening business-casual jogs.

Wear it with matching plastic-snap-buckle-belted *pleated* athleformal shorts (MSRP 250,000₩ 135,000₩) and youíre ready to hit the pavement as soon as you park the Equus.

donovan

« Reply #5433 on: June 22, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
I’ve also noticed a lot of collar-flipped polo wearers out there this season since Thunderlips mentioned it a while back. The twist; they’ve been mostly ajummas.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #5434 on: June 23, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »
Iíve also noticed a lot of collar-flipped polo wearers out there this season since Thunderlips mentioned it a while back. The twist; theyíve been mostly ajummas.

#metoo?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5435 on: June 23, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »
Iíve also noticed a lot of collar-flipped polo wearers out there this season since Thunderlips mentioned it a while back. The twist; theyíve been mostly ajummas.

I've noticed a few; mostly on 30~40 European males.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5436 on: June 24, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Do you think they just got together and copied each other as a group, making sure to change the topics so that the essays appear "different?"

Word gets around in my school about what questions I might ask during the speaking exam, for example (all provided to them prior to the exam, but they won't know which ones I'll ask or when), and a pattern gets determined. Then they kind of "coach" each other on how to answer and when. So what I end up with is a bunch of students telling me that the most important thing in their life is family in response to the question, "What are you going to do this weekend?" Because they're all expecting the same round of questions that I might have asked a different class. But I always change up which questions I ask and in what order I ask them for each class.

They try to beat the system by memorizing what they feel like will get them a good grade. Friends tell friends in other classes, and then classmates pass it on to other classmates. I even warn them that this isn't going to work for my exam and why it isn't going to work, and that they actually have to put in the effort to recognize the questions as they're being asked and respond appropriately to them, but there are still always a bunch of students who gamble and lose.

With this, I just found it best to randomize questions with every student, that way nobody can get any ideas of a pattern or attempts at playing the system
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #5437 on: June 24, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »

#metoo?

No, I think thatís something else.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5438 on: June 24, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
As an aside to address some points brought up by others, I really don't think that a lot of KTs are aware of just how poorly many students perform during these exams because most of them don't listen in on them. They just operate under certain assumptions that kind of act as a barrier to communication and which keep a lot of teachers in the dark about what the students are actually doing and how they're actually performing. I'm basing this on the reactions I've observed from coTs whenever they witness just how bad students' application abilities are in various instances (and which KTs will usually excuse as general nervousness in the moment or something). In KTs' minds, high scores during written exams mean high scores during performance-based exams, too, and when that doesn't happen? It leads to assertions that the NET is using an overly strict grading standard not in tune with the Korean education system, which really isn't the case most of the time. The problem is many of the students don't take the performance part of it seriously and think they can bullshit their ways around it. And then many of THOSE students are also aware of KT assumptions about NETs, and, if they don't get the grade that they wanted, will try to use that as a tool to convince KTs that they were dealt an unfair hand. I know that this can vary from school to school, from student to student, and from KT to KT, but it's just a common pattern that I've personally experienced a lot.

The bottom-line is, I often jokingly ask students who tell me that they're nervous about the speaking exam whether or not they've studied and practiced for it using the study guide that they were given a month ago... and most of them will sheepishly admit that they hadn't. The speaking exam is already ridiculously easy. The standard isn't too high. Expectations are just unreasonable.

With this, I just found it best to randomize questions with every student, that way nobody can get any ideas of a pattern or attempts at playing the system

The problem is that they don't actually have a lot of questions they need to learn to recognize and respond to. That's part of the tragedy here. It's all about memorization and establishing patterns on which to base that memorization on, which isn't a bad method in and of itself, but too many students are overly dependent on it, overuse the method and apply it inappropriately, and aren't too good at thinking on their feet as a result. To make matters worse, I can only ask these questions in so many combinations, so patterns DO still pop up (there's just more than one), and many students try to take advantage of that. When I tested it out, I found that I had the same problem and to the same degree no matter how I chose to randomize it.

Students will always, always try to beat the system, and they will always try to decipher a pattern, even if there isn't one, so that they can put in as little effort as possible for the highest score as possible. There are always that group of students who think they're more clever than they actually are, and who, despite warnings, must learn the hard way that shortcuts can only get them so far.

Some students actually learn and improve their scores by a large margin in following years. Others keep trying to give me the business no matter what, and I don't know, maybe the students at my school are especially hardheaded and stubborn.

It's a never-ending struggle, and even the most "diligent" student can fall victim to the lure of the easy way out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:22:05 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5439 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
Iíve discovered how menswear shops can get away with murderous prices for seemingly modest ajeossi polos: They double as athletic wear for your evening business-casual jogs.

Wear it with matching plastic-snap-buckle-belted *pleated* athleformal shorts (MSRP 250,000₩ 135,000₩) and youíre ready to hit the pavement as soon as you park the Equus.

Please never stop posting, waygook.org user donovan. You are the best poster.