September 23, 2018, 05:05:28 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771372 times)

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5420 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.

I truly hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I would be a mess if my students were seriously injured or worse in an accident. Sending hope your way brother.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #5421 on: May 18, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.

I truly hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I would be a mess if my students were seriously injured or worse in an accident. Sending hope your way brother.

Praying for you and your students, mate. Godspeed.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5422 on: May 18, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »

Did you find anything out? I hope everyone is okay and nothing serious happened.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5423 on: May 18, 2018, 07:44:39 PM »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180517000634

Four students were injured by a teacherís car that suddenly accelerated toward them at a middle school parking lot in Cheongju, North Chungcheong Province.

The teacherís sedan unexpectedly accelerated, ran down the school safety fence and drove onto the sidewalk around 8:20 a.m. Thursday inside the schoolís parking lot, said Cheongjuís Cheongwon Police Station.

The vehicle hit four students who were on their way to school. One of them suffered a head injury and is still unconscious, while the other three suffered minor and severe injuries. The teacher was hurt in the accident as well, according to police.

Police are investigating the case. The teacher claimed that her vehicle suddenly charged at the safety fence and went onto the sidewalk while she was parking.

I heard the news from my co-teacher, Thursday evening, but not in great detail. I was teaching at my second school on Thursday when it happened. On my way to the school today, I noticed the fence was missing, but hadn't heard the details. Today during a teacher's meeting in my province, other GETs were asking me about it because they heard the news in this article. I'm only sad because I'm not sure which students were hurt, and which teacher is responsible.  :sad:

On another note, my principal decided that because of this incident, the teachers should come to work on Monday rather than have the day off because ??????????  :undecided:

I'm going to 인천 that day regardless.
The World Ends With You

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5424 on: May 22, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »
I've been going over in my head what happened yesterday and what I'm gonna tell the PoE at our meeting but just..

I wanna say that being assaulted by a student is my breaking point, it's where I draw the line.

I don't think it's acceptable in any circumstance, and the attitude about it here just isn't to my tastes. Just kinda going "Oh haha well you know kids...bein' kids, assaulting teachers haha, those darn kids."

Has anyone here been hit by a kid before during class? What did your school do?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5425 on: May 22, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
I've been going over in my head what happened yesterday and what I'm gonna tell the PoE at our meeting but just..

I wanna say that being assaulted by a student is my breaking point, it's where I draw the line.

I don't think it's acceptable in any circumstance, and the attitude about it here just isn't to my tastes. Just kinda going "Oh haha well you know kids...bein' kids, assaulting teachers haha, those darn kids."

Never been hit but when a kid is particularly bad then their homeroom teacher makes them apologise.

I guess the big question is - What do you want to happen? What would resolve this issue and other issues for you?

I guess when having any meeting with the POE you need to figure out what you want and what is possible.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5426 on: May 22, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »

Never been hit but when a kid is particularly bad then their homeroom teacher makes them apologise.

I guess the big question is - What do you want to happen? What would resolve this issue and other issues for you?

I guess when having any meeting with the POE you need to figure out what you want and what is possible.

The thing is, I don't really think there's much to be done now, but it just really underscored how I don't think anyone is going to have my back (ba-dum-tss) at this school. I'll check tomorrow and see if it was carried to the higher ups.

I don't want to make this a slippery slope argument, but if a kid already thinks it fine to headbutt a teacher when their back is turned because they said no, what would they do next time? Would this happen to a Korean teacher? Would there be punishment?

This is my line in the sand but I don't know if I have much of a leg to stand on here. It really just hurts me more mentally than physically (it's a close race though, I can't bend over today) seeing that the reaction wasn't like "let's write up an incident report and I'll talk to the principal."

I have no idea what the chain of procedures is for this in Korea. I knew back in the states how it would go. But with this, idk what to push.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5427 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:03 AM »

The thing is, I don't really think there's much to be done now, but it just really underscored how I don't think anyone is going to have my back (ba-dum-tss) at this school. I'll check tomorrow and see if it was carried to the higher ups.

I don't want to make this a slippery slope argument, but if a kid already thinks it fine to headbutt a teacher when their back is turned because they said no, what would they do next time? Would this happen to a Korean teacher? Would there be punishment?

This is my line in the sand but I don't know if I have much of a leg to stand on here. It really just hurts me more mentally than physically (it's a close race though, I can't bend over today) seeing that the reaction wasn't like "let's write up an incident report and I'll talk to the principal."

I have no idea what the chain of procedures is for this in Korea. I knew back in the states how it would go. But with this, idk what to push.

I don't know if you're looking for advice or not but this is waygook so i'm gonna give it anyway.

I think, the most you can expect is an apology and that is the general procedure. The HR teacher should explain he hurt you, why it was wrong, and then get him to apologize and/or write a letter.

In terms of punishment? what would you want? I know it hurts and it sucks but how else can they punish a 9 year old? Suspend him? Detention? They don't really do it in elementary school. We don't really know what's going on with this kid that he thinks it's acceptable behaviour too.

I do agree the school should take it more seriously though.

If I were you I would either ask the MT again, saying how seriously he hurt you (It might be she thinks it didn't leave a bruise or she just doesn't care which from what you've said is probably true.)

or go directly to the homeroom teacher. You can get by on a little English and papago to explain what happened then let them deal with it.

As for the POE if I were you i'd focus on things that the school is obligated to do - so help you/be there in the classroom. I guess they can't make your school care about you but they can make sure they are following the rules and that's all you can ask for really. Anyway hope it works out and you feel better.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5428 on: May 23, 2018, 07:49:50 AM »
It really just hurts me more mentally than physically (it's a close race though, I can't bend over today)

Tell them you need to go to the hospital to have it checked out. It happened on school property, so they would have to get insurance or whoever involved to help cover any medical costs. That might put a little pep in their step to get things sorted out.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5429 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »

When I was working at a high school, I was sort of attacked by a 2nd year. I took his phone from him while he was using it in class, and he came back up to my podium/desk and asked for his phone back. When I told him no, he started to get really angry, cussing at me and yelling and then finally exploded and kicked the podium, hit out at me, and then kicked and broke the desk. I was knocked by the podium (he made it rock forward into me), but avoided his hand. After he broke the desk, he stormed out, screaming and cursing the whole time. I told the school after that I didn't want him in my class anymore because I was uncomfortable around him (he had a lot of anger issues, this was the worst of his episodes, but it wasn't the first). They didn't do anything, not even apologize.

Long story short, it sucks, but don't expect anything. Mister Tim's suggestion is good, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :lipsrsealed:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5430 on: May 23, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »
Bingsu, what happened to you is absolutely unacceptable, and I find your school's complacency over it horrendous. What's worse is that you've had a similar experience at a prior school, and I gotta say that's not normal.

I've had a student lash out at me before because I stopped him from assaulting another boy (other students were holding him back, but the situation was not de-escalating and the KT wasn't doing a damn thing). It didn't work out very well for him and I managed to get control of the situation very quickly, but it still horrified my coTs and my school; despite this, though, he was originally only made to write an apology letter... which I did not accept. It was not genuine and was only for show, especially since this particular student had a history of assault in this school but never seemed to get punished for it (only "counseled") while other students were regularly punished for smaller, less serious infractions (such as coming to class late or forgetting their books). I had and still have no idea why they were protecting this kid to the extent that they had. I kicked up a stink over it and wouldn't let them blow me off (albeit, I did it diplomatically and in a roundabout way), and he was placed on probationary status. No idea how common this form of punishment is, but, at my main school, once a student is placed on probation, he or she has a certain number of "strikes" before getting kicked out of the school. For each strike, they face a harsher penalty (starts out with them required to complete a certain number of community service hours, and then it works its way up from there until they finally reach expulsion).

As for keeping the student out of your class, there are laws in place that grant students more rights to attend a certain class than they have for granting protection for teachers' safeties and well-beings (or this is how I've learned it so far). They haven't really evolved enough in that regard, yet, so, as much as your school may understand your feelings on the situation, they cannot deny a required part of their curriculum to a currently attending student, no matter what he or she did to a teacher. They'd have to kick the student from the school in order to do that, and some schools are far more reluctant to do that than others. I've come to the conclusion that the more hesitant a school is to do it, the lower it is on the totem pole -- basically, schools receive a certain amount of funds for however many students they have attending, and some schools, due to location and/or reputation, have to accept (and keep) low performing problem students in order to make their "quota". This is why you'll sometimes come across certain schools in more rural settings that basically have nothing but students that no one else will take (especially in Jeju).

tl;dr: I had this happen to me, and while the student continued to come to my class, he was put on probationary status, and I was able to instill a sense of control over the student. He understood that there would be consequences that he would not be able to avoid just because I'm a foreigner, and it helped to keep him in line for the rest of the school year.

In my case, though, I had more of the school's support, and I'm in good standing with some higher status individuals. It might also be because I'm with EPIK and have several recourses. But that doesn't mean that you don't. If people at any level aren't giving you the help and support that you need, you go over their heads until you reach someone who will. But remember, you've got to conduct yourself appropriately (have them empathize with you), and you need to begin a paper-trail. You also technically have a potential civil suit option, although the costs for that is high and may not be worth pursuing financially. BUT, sometimes having a lawyer mentioned or used to contact the school is enough to scare those-that-be into action.

In either case, you really need to start recording every.single.one of your classes. Go to the doctor for official documentation of your current injuries. Have pictures available along with a doctor's note. Be prepared to show them the problem area, too -- sometimes pictures aren't enough to really hit home, they've actually got to see the damage in person.

I wish you the best, Bingsu. So sorry that this happened to you. I'm rooting for you, and, even if you do end up getting blown off -- remember, you can transfer to a different school.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:41:12 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5431 on: May 23, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
Bingsu, what happened to you is absolutely unacceptable, and I find your school's complacency over it horrendous. What's worse is that you've had a similar experience at a prior school, and I gotta say that's not normal.

I wish you the best, Bingsu. So sorry that this happened to you. I'm rooting for you, and, even if you do end up getting blown off -- remember, you can transfer to a different school.

Can I ask what grade / level this was?

Sorry this happened to you though it sucks. I'm just curious/nosey.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5432 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »

Can I ask what grade / level this was?

Sorry this happened to you though it sucks. I'm just curious/nosey.

Middle school, third grade.

And it's not a problem, I'm used to handling much worse.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5433 on: May 23, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
 honestly with How today is already going, I'm probably just going to ask to transfer schools.

For me this is the first time that I've been hit by a kid here, but not the first time that kids have acted aggressive toward me.

I quit asking for help about a month ago because it was really clear that nobody cared.

not only is it my first year teaching here but my first year teaching anywhere in Korea so I feel like I'm at a double loss because I don't know how this school works or how Korea operates on these kinds of things.

I know a lot of people might want to downplay the fact that this kid was only nine, but it's absolutely absurd to me that a nine-year-old did this. At nine they should know better. I really just need to bite the bullet and reach out to my office of education and start submitting complaints

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5434 on: May 23, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
honestly with How today is already going, I'm probably just going to ask to transfer schools.

For me this is the first time that I've been hit by a kid here, but not the first time that kids have acted aggressive toward me.

I quit asking for help about a month ago because it was really clear that nobody cared.

not only is it my first year teaching here but my first year teaching anywhere in Korea so I feel like I'm at a double loss because I don't know how this school works or how Korea operates on these kinds of things.

I know a lot of people might want to downplay the fact that this kid was only nine, but it's absolutely absurd to me that a nine-year-old did this. At nine they should know better. I really just need to bite the bullet and reach out to my office of education and start submitting complaints

To me, I think it does make a difference that he was 9, but it doesn't make it acceptable. Just changes what they can and should do about it.

Are you coming up to renewal time? I feel like you should transfer for sure.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5435 on: May 23, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
I just found out that in the event of a fire I'm supposed to be guiding people out of the school. Has this always been my role? This is my 6th year at this school. I was just planning on running downstairs and breaking the locked emergency doors open with the fire-extinguisher stored next to them.
Dude I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go during emergencies, because every time we have a drill they never come get me or they never tell me we're having one until after it's been done.

I don't even know where our fire exits are. At least you're one step above me haha

But seriously, why is this seemingly such a common thing. We just aren't briefed on safety measures I guess as a general

In my first year, one of my travel schools had a fire drill, then 2 weeks later, the actual fire alarm went off. The teachers poked their heads outside of the room, saw nothing, and then went back on with their class.
I didn't know the school procedure for what to do in a fire (The teachers office was on the second floor of the building and somewhere in the middle of the building). I was literally the only one concerned that the alarm had gone off, on a non-drill day, and no one was reacting to it.
When I asked my co-teachers about it. They just shrugged and went back to online shopping. :\

donovan

« Reply #5436 on: May 23, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
What do you do now during false alarms?

They happen quite frequently at my school.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5437 on: May 23, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »

You should GTFO.

Every time.

donovan

« Reply #5438 on: May 23, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
You're right, we should, but I typically don't and I'm really wondering if anybody else actually does.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5439 on: May 23, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »

You should GTFO.

Every time.

And people wonder why the kids stayed put as the Sewol sank.
Remember the Sewol.