September 24, 2018, 01:32:38 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771679 times)

donovan

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5400 on: May 17, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Here's my visual lesson plan (I'd be playing the part of Boney M)

Does anyone else notice that Boney M gets a lot of play in Korea?

This is also the song that my fifth grade textbook's lesson 4 "Sing Along" is set to. Never heard of the guy before coming here.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5401 on: May 17, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

It was an actual bee, not a wasp, but it was still a big sucker.
hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

It's not just kids. Grown ass adults will go to the 'hospital' if they have a minor cold. And doctors will put a literal cast on someone for a non-existent injury. Parents will take their kid to a doctor and the doctor will give them medicine if the kid just has the sniffles. It's ridiculous.
We had a student that took 4 days off to recover from surgery to remove a piece of pencil lead from her finger. This was a very very small piece of lead too. I remember my friends just waiting for it to work itself out when that happened to us. But she had actual surgery to remove it, and then needed time to recover.

I've had a piece of graphite embedded in my thigh since the spring of 2008 lmao. Not to be all "kids are wimps here, back in my day..." but..... cmon.

Offline Mike.T

• Adventurer
« Reply #5402 on: May 17, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

Donovan, this is your big chance, bud.  Start small, with the bee, and then work your way up, size-wise, through the creatures that get released into the classroom and get them to resist reaction.  It'll be great training for them. Bee, pigeon, crab, lemur, dingo, pony, ox, camel, Badoon, cave troll, mumakil, and then finally on the last day of term Thanos.  Piece of piss.

I had a bird stuck in the corridors last week, and a big one at that. Metre wing span at least!

Then again, at my last workplace a baby goat managed to find its way in, so I'm already pretty high up the animal chain I think...

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5403 on: May 17, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »

Donovan, this is your big chance, bud.  Start small, with the bee, and then work your way up, size-wise, through the creatures that get released into the classroom and get them to resist reaction.  It'll be great training for them. Bee, pigeon, crab, lemur, dingo, pony, ox, camel, Badoon, cave troll, mumakil, and then finally on the last day of term Thanos.  Piece of piss.

I had a bird stuck in the corridors last week, and a big one at that. Metre wing span at least!

Then again, at my last workplace a baby goat managed to find its way in, so I'm already pretty high up the animal chain I think...

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5404 on: May 17, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »

hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

It's not just kids. Grown ass adults will go to the 'hospital' if they have a minor cold. And doctors will put a literal cast on someone for a non-existent injury. Parents will take their kid to a doctor and the doctor will give them medicine if the kid just has the sniffles. It's ridiculous.
We had a student that took 4 days off to recover from surgery to remove a piece of pencil lead from her finger. This was a very very small piece of lead too. I remember my friends just waiting for it to work itself out when that happened to us. But she had actual surgery to remove it, and then needed time to recover.

I've had a piece of graphite embedded in my thigh since the spring of 2008 lmao. Not to be all "kids are wimps here, back in my day..." but..... cmon.
:laugh: Exactly. If it didn't work itself out, too bad. My friend is in the same boat as you.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5405 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »
I don't know what's going on right now, but it literally sounds like the students are bowling with every piece of furniture in the entire school.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5406 on: May 18, 2018, 08:40:40 AM »
A couple of days ago, my younger brother sent me this video of some guy taking off his shirt and then falling down some steps in London.  I showed it to my wife yesterday and she said it had been on the Korean news.

donovan

« Reply #5407 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
A couple of days ago, my younger brother sent me this video of some guy taking off his shirt and then falling down some steps in London.  I showed it to my wife yesterday and she said it had been on the Korean news.

Haha. yeah, I saw it last night on TV. My wife thought it was hillllarious~ (it's admittedly pretty funny)

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5408 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
His face took it all the way down...man that sucks.

On another note, I am trying to figure out the best way to tell the custodian that the bathrooms are too dirty. I mean, I can handle a dirty bathroom to some extent, but there is black mold growing all over the place. Not to mention there is phlegm all over the back of the doors. I suppose she just opens the door and cleans, but what is on the inside behind the door is so much worse.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5409 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »

Like the slime mold or whatever the **** was on those steps wasn't going to give him any other option, he just had to accept his fate and brace himself for the onslaught.

I hope the water didn't stink too much for him. xD

On another note, I am trying to figure out the best way to tell the custodian that the bathrooms are too dirty. I mean, I can handle a dirty bathroom to some extent, but there is black mold growing all over the place. Not to mention there is phlegm all over the back of the doors. I suppose she just opens the door and cleans, but what is on the inside behind the door is so much worse.

That's probably the reason why she avoids it. xD Not sure what the school is giving her to work with, but I doubt she's getting paid enough, whatever the case may be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:09:43 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5410 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

That's probably the reason why she avoids it. xD Not sure what the school is giving her to work with, but I doubt she's getting paid enough, whatever the case may be.
[/quote]

Well, I went in and cleaned it last year. I definitely don't think it was/is in my job description. I might have to bring it up, and if nothing happens, I'll bring stuff to scrub it. Maybe when the vice principal and others see the native teacher scrubbing the restroom, they will be a bit more inclined to ask the lady to check it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5411 on: May 18, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »

Well, I went in and cleaned it last year. I definitely don't think it was/is in my job description. I might have to bring it up, and if nothing happens, I'll bring stuff to scrub it. Maybe when the vice principal and others see the native teacher scrubbing the restroom, they will be a bit more inclined to ask the lady to check it.
[/quote]

More likely they will be paralyzed by cognitive dissonance.
On the one hand, your standards are higher than anyone else, AND you are willing to lower yourself do menial work.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5412 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
Honestly, I've thought about taking pictures of some of the common and disgusting things I see in the student bathrooms here so that I can stick them in slides and (hopefully) shame the students into stopping the behaviors to begin with. They don't really think about how disgusting and inconsiderate it is. Sometimes pointing it out makes them think enough about it that it significantly decreases if not completely stops the behavior.

For boys, it's spit and phlegm. For girls, it's makeup smears on surfaces and trash in the sinks -- it looks way worse than it sounds.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5413 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »

More likely they will be paralyzed by cognitive dissonance.
On the one hand, your standards are higher than anyone else, AND you are willing to lower yourself do menial work.
[/quote]

I am willing to do it, but it won't be without some amount of time pressuring for someone to clean it.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5414 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.
The World Ends With You

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5415 on: May 18, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »
Guys, please send your thoughts. Some of my students were in a car accident and the school has been in a gloomy mood all day. I don't know all the details, but it can't be good considering all the crying students I've had in my office. Please and thanks again for your consideration.

That's awful. I hope everyone survived. Please let us know any developments.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5416 on: May 18, 2018, 12:48:52 PM »
I don't know what's going on right now, but it literally sounds like the students are bowling with every piece of furniture in the entire school.

It's evolved from bowling to getting tossed around in a dryer. I really want to be nosy and find out what's going on, but I'm too afraid that I'll end up getting roped into doing whatever the **** they're doing, too.

donovan

« Reply #5417 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »

My second year here my hagwon's bus got into a pretty bad accident, with the driver in critical condition and one of the girls with a pretty serious leg injury.  It was a rough few weeks after that.  I'm sorry your school has to go through that now.

Good reason to follow traffic laws and posted speeds.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:57:21 PM by donovan »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5418 on: May 18, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »

Only now just saw this. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Sending you and everyone involved/affected the best.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5419 on: May 18, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »

It's evolved from bowling to getting tossed around in a dryer. I really want to be nosy and find out what's going on, but I'm too afraid that I'll end up getting roped into doing whatever the **** they're doing, too.

Smart move.

I've regretted asking too many questions in the past as it usually ends up with me either A) moving pointless heavy sh*t B) cleaning useless dirty sh*t or C) being told about some after work-hours event that I could've avoided, but now must attend (thanks to my own self-destructive nosiness).

Nothing good can come from knowing things. Nothing.