November 16, 2018, 04:11:20 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 812247 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5380 on: June 12, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »
I GOT NO MOTIVATION
WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION?
NO TIME FOR MOTIVATION..................

to plan summer camp..............

I don't start planning it until I know roughly how many students are going to be there. :p so usually about 2 - 3 weeks before camp. Sooner if they need information from me before then, for ordering anything.
I feel this way, too.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5381 on: June 12, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
Today one of my middle school 3rd grade boys is wearing a shirt with the cover from Rammstein - Sehnsucht on it.

I've been a big fan of the band since '97, so I was surprised and stoked to see it. I was skeptical about whether he even knew who they were, since it's definitely not unheard of for people to wear shirts with metal band logos just for fashion reasons these days, but he seemed familiar when I asked him about it.

I haven't followed them for a while myself, but my friend and I were pretty into them for a while. I still like Rammstein, I just haven't heard anything new for a while. We went to one of their concerts on a US tour which was fun. Pretty surprising to see a shirt here!

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5382 on: June 14, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
From jobs page

By Shaeripark:

Hello, I am a recent graduate of a UC school with an English BA.
I am going to Korea this summer to complete personal projects but am in need of a source of income.
Due to problems with my birth certificate, my dual citizenship/f4 visa has been delayed so I actually am coming
to Korea on just a 90-day tourist visa. I am looking for a job that will kindly pay me under the table...
I have experience teaching English to high school students in Japan. I can accommodate to any lesson plan.
Seoul only!
(housing and airfare would be amazing, but honestly not expecting it at this point...)
Can start working beginning of July!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
can'treply on the job page cos they are moderated just thought this was hilarious although I'm easily amused.  :P

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5383 on: June 14, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
From jobs page

By Shaeripark:

Hello, I am a recent graduate of a UC school with an English BA.
I am going to Korea this summer to complete personal projects but am in need of a source of income.
Due to problems with my birth certificate, my dual citizenship/f4 visa has been delayed so I actually am coming
to Korea on just a 90-day tourist visa. I am looking for a job that will kindly pay me under the table...
I have experience teaching English to high school students in Japan. I can accommodate to any lesson plan.
Seoul only!
(housing and airfare would be amazing, but honestly not expecting it at this point...)
Can start working beginning of July!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
can'treply on the job page cos they are moderated just thought this was hilarious although I'm easily amused.  :P

My reply (awaiting moderation)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5384 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
Realized today that I haven't had beef in a long time. I've only been eating fish and chicken.

Can't decide between steak or marinated beef ribs.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5385 on: June 15, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
Korean repairmen really must like my bathroom... it is always the first place they ask to go!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5386 on: June 15, 2018, 09:33:17 AM »
Korean repairmen really must like my bathroom...
Salarymen drink my wine......
Burburrymen dig my earth........
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Challen13

• Adventurer
« Reply #5387 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:49 AM »
I'm not sure of the benefits of toilets where it is impossible to have a quiet piss at night.  Back in the day, you could pee to the side of the water and you had quite a large target area to aim for.  Now the toilets are filled with more water and that 'quiet' target area is reduced.  It'd be nice to quietly 'strain the greens' without it sounding like four fat nuns clapping.

Hear, hear! Bring back old school toilet bowls!  :laugh:

donovan

« Reply #5388 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »
I'm not sure of the benefits of toilets where it is impossible to have a quiet piss at night.  Back in the day, you could pee to the side of the water and you had quite a large target area to aim for.  Now the toilets are filled with more water and that 'quiet' target area is reduced.  It'd be nice to quietly 'strain the greens' without it sounding like four fat nuns clapping.

It's always possible to sit if it doesn't threaten your manhood too much. (The sink is another option for the manlier breed.) I always aim for the porcelain, but I always wonder, which one causes less piss spray?

donovan

« Reply #5389 on: June 15, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »

It's always possible to sit if it doesn't threaten your manhood too much. (The sink is another option for the manlier breed.) I always aim for the porcelain, but I always wonder, which one causes less piss spray?

If you're among the 1%, you can also use the bathtub.

Pissing on your foot cures athlete's foot. Case in point, I've never had athlete's foot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:03:07 PM by donovan »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5390 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
Pissing on your foot cures athlete's foot. Case in point, I've never had athlete's foot.
TIL: I'm among the 1%! Whoo-hoo!

Also, by regularly pissing on your feet, you can essentially turn them into cured leather, and is one method of preparation that allow fire-walkers to do their thing.

Fun fact: it's not just lazy people who deliberately wet themselves: vultures pee on their legs to  sterilize them after standing around in rotting flesh all day.

donovan

« Reply #5391 on: June 15, 2018, 12:30:53 PM »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5392 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »

People, please, do your self a favour and click on that image.
I had to to quickly improvise a convincing lie when my coworker leaned over and asked why I was laughing so hard...

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5393 on: June 18, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
I don't know how the little ol' cleaning ajummah is getting a firehose into the second floor bathroom all by herself, but that's the only explanation I can come up with for the sheer volume of water all over everything after she's been through.

donovan

« Reply #5394 on: June 18, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
I don't know how the little ol' cleaning ajummah is getting a firehose into the second floor bathroom all by herself, but that's the only explanation I can come up with for the sheer volume of water all over everything after she's been through.

Itís a two-hand job. The cleaning supplies have to be left by the spigot.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5395 on: June 19, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
Sometimes it pops up outside the scope of writing, too. I was at a bus stop once and one of my middle school students came stood next to me. I asked him how he was doing, and he said "I'm depressed... I like a girl... but... girl doesn't like me." I've never gotten an answer like that in the classroom, haha.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5396 on: June 19, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »
Sometimes it pops up outside the scope of writing, too. I was at a bus stop once and one of my middle school students came stood next to me. I asked him how he was doing, and he said "I'm depressed... I like a girl... but... girl doesn't like me." I've never gotten an answer like that in the classroom, haha.

This has also happened to me. Like, whenever there's any approximation of one-on-one, it's almost like a lot of people see it as a chance for a heart to heart. Students coming up talking about their crushes, fighting with their family, being unhappy, etc etc.

Also, and this literally just occurred to me, but it could be that since they're saying it in English it's got a bit of taxi cab confessional effect where they feel more comfortable disclosing personal things because it's not in their native tongue and they feel it's less likely to get spread.

But - I've seen some of the stuff they write in their Korean journals that their Korean teachers check, and it's similarly personal. So I don't think that theory of mine holds much water.

donovan

« Reply #5397 on: June 20, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
For all the flak that Korean moms get for being helicopter parents, I dunno, I gotta say that I got a lot of well adjusted students and nary one that is unable to control him or herself emotionally. And this is in a very well-off district where parents could afford to helicopter if they so choose.

donovan

« Reply #5398 on: June 20, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
It does cross my mind that perhaps my students live in a simplified emotional environment where they're not exposed too often to situations that would require them to handle complex emotions, but that's kind of hard to swallow. The fact is they (my students, anyway) have incredibly stable (if risk-averse) family arrangements and living environments, but that kind of stability is largely what a family and good school is good for. Too much of a good thing, perhaps?

Of course my students are younger and the stress of school and social relations tend to pile up in the middle school and high school years. Maybe it just hasn't hit them yet.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5399 on: June 20, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
So my classroom is situated on the top floor, and the birds have figured out how to get into the roof, so I keep hearing a lot of scurrying and patter.

First time I heard the noise, though, I thought "rats" and was about to let the school know, but then I heard the birds chirp and noticed how they kept diving out from above my window, so now I'm just kind of looking forward to an especially loud THUMP scaring one of my next classes -- not sure what kind of shenanigans are required for nest-building, but the process is surprisingly loud.