September 25, 2018, 07:37:36 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772100 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5380 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »
The girls here crack me up.

We're in the middle of a fire drill and everyone's moving to the school field. Get to the middle lobby area and of course there are two girls checking their makeup in the mirror. Heaven forbid this was a real fire, though I wouldn't be surprised if they did it then  :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5381 on: May 16, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
The girls here crack me up.

We're in the middle of a fire drill and everyone's moving to the school field. Get to the middle lobby area and of course there are two girls checking their makeup in the mirror. Heaven forbid this was a real fire, though I wouldn't be surprised if they did it then  :laugh:

Ours is an earthquake drill at the moment, and there is a force ten gale outside.  Any adjustments before going outside will be pointless.  With these drills, I've kind of accepted my fate which previously was being found dead, upside down in a pub toilet.  How things change as you get older.   

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #5382 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:58 PM »
For our drill all the kids were shepherded out of the school building and straight into the gym :undecided:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5383 on: May 16, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
For our drill all the kids were shepherded out of the school building and straight into the gym :undecided:

....which was filled with tigers.  Out of the frying pan and into the fire....  No where is safe. 

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #5384 on: May 16, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
Wonder where they'll go for tomorrow's fire drill! Maybe the kitchen?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5385 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
I just found out that in the event of a fire I'm supposed to be guiding people out of the school. Has this always been my role? This is my 6th year at this school. I was just planning on running downstairs and breaking the locked emergency doors open with the fire-extinguisher stored next to them.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5386 on: May 16, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
I just found out that in the event of a fire I'm supposed to be guiding people out of the school. Has this always been my role? This is my 6th year at this school. I was just planning on running downstairs and breaking the locked emergency doors open with the fire-extinguisher stored next to them.
Dude I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go during emergencies, because every time we have a drill they never come get me or they never tell me we're having one until after it's been done.

I don't even know where our fire exits are. At least you're one step above me haha

But seriously, why is this seemingly such a common thing. We just aren't briefed on safety measures I guess as a general

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5387 on: May 16, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
Dude I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go during emergencies, because every time we have a drill they never come get me or they never tell me we're having one until after it's been done.

I don't even know where our fire exits are. At least you're one step above me haha

But seriously, why is this seemingly such a common thing. We just aren't briefed on safety measures I guess as a general

Because Koreans focus solely on the outcome, if no-one dies, it was fine.  They have no idea of prevention, or preparedness.  Every time there is a tragedy, there is a big boo-hoo, a culprit is found, and everyone goes back to doing the same thing as before.

Last year there were 2 fires, and many died due to badly parked cars obstructing the fire engines.  A stink was kicked up, but nothing changed, no crack downs on bad parking, just gnashing of teeth and wailing, then it happened again, and the reaction was the same, but people still park badly around public buildings.

Until Korea understands that prevention is better than cure, it will be viewed as a waste of time and money to prepare for something that may never happen.  Kind of the same thinking behind motorcyclist not wearing helmets here: "Well, i have never crashed, so i have never needed one"

Fire doors are still chained shut!

Remember the Sewol!

donovan

« Reply #5388 on: May 17, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

It was an actual bee, not a wasp, but it was still a big sucker.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5389 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

donovan

« Reply #5390 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the bee's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5391 on: May 17, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the hornet's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5392 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »

hmm. most korean kids are absolute wimps. does anyone else agree? scared of any insects, go to the nurse's office for non-existent injuries, don't like to do painting or play with clay, etc because it's 'dirty' (at least, in my experience)

It's not just kids. Grown ass adults will go to the 'hospital' if they have a minor cold. And doctors will put a literal cast on someone for a non-existent injury. Parents will take their kid to a doctor and the doctor will give them medicine if the kid just has the sniffles. It's ridiculous.
We had a student that took 4 days off to recover from surgery to remove a piece of pencil lead from her finger. This was a very very small piece of lead too. I remember my friends just waiting for it to work itself out when that happened to us. But she had actual surgery to remove it, and then needed time to recover.

donovan

« Reply #5393 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Looks like oglop (and APF) kicked the hornet's nest this time :lipsrsealed:

*Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross soundtrack plays*

I think that was Noomi Rapace.

Kids are wimps. That's why it was so remarkable. They have a tough, no-nonsense homeroom teacher though; perhaps that made all the difference.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5394 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »

Donovan, this is your big chance, bud.  Start small, with the bee, and then work your way up, size-wise, through the creatures that get released into the classroom and get them to resist reaction.  It'll be great training for them. Bee, pigeon, crab, lemur, dingo, pony, ox, camel, Badoon, cave troll, mumakil, and then finally on the last day of term Thanos.  Piece of piss.

donovan

« Reply #5395 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
Should help me nail down that contract renewal~

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5396 on: May 17, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »

Scene: Open class with Donovan Teacher giving a monologue.

Enter: mountain gorilla

Class breaks eye contact with teacher for a second, but then continues to be enthralled by the riveting presentation.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5397 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
Fire Drill Round 2 at my 2nd school

This time the firetrucks and ambulance were there for demonstration. But as you can imagine, none of the students were focused on them. No, why pay attention to these kind people taking time out of their day when you can talk to your buddies? I sure hope somebody learned something from this.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #5398 on: May 17, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »

Scene: Open class with Donovan Teacher giving a monologue.

Enter: mountain gorilla

Class breaks eye contact with teacher for a second, but then continues to be enthralled by the riveting presentation.

"Put the goddamned balls away!"

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5399 on: May 17, 2018, 01:17:31 PM »

*Door opens*

:lipsrsealed: :undecided: :smiley: :cheesy: :azn: :-[ - Wow, it's Thanos!!!

:police: - Ah, erm, Thanos, you're late.  Sit down over there.

>:( - Ok

:police: - Here's the 'Where is my watch?' worksheet.  Do you have a pen?

>:( - No.

:police: - Tut, tut.  Make sure you bring one next time.  Okay?

>:(

Contracto mundo!  :afro: