December 12, 2018, 10:02:45 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 848122 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5360 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
It's not a rant, it's just sad. Anthony Bourdain is dead. Suicide.

I took this picture yesterday. I'm a third of the way through the book.

He's the reason I went to Hanoi, for the food. For Bun Cha Hanoi.

RIP man.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5361 on: June 08, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
i had absolutely no idea what you were talking about until i just read the news, CO2. i thought you were being weird or something

that really is a shame. i never watch tv, but i would always watch his tv shows if they were on. ugh. how depressing. RIP mr. bourdain

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5362 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
i had absolutely no idea what you were talking about until i just read the news, CO2. i thought you were being weird or something

that really is a shame. i never watch tv, but i would always watch his tv shows if they were on. ugh. how depressing. RIP mr. bourdain

Agreed. I just hate the timing. I just started his book, although I've been watching him for the last 3 or 4 years. His Quebec episode is so good.
Bowie was the last one that affected me this bad. I had to go to the bathroom in my school and let it out. Thank god it was after lunch when I had no classes, I don't need to know that in my 10 min break in the morning.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5363 on: June 08, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
It's not a rant, it's just sad. Anthony Bourdain is dead. Suicide.

I'm a third of the way through the book.

RIP man.

This one hits like a chef knife to the heart.

When I used to work as a cook that book was passed around like the bible. Would re-read it occasionally too just for fun. Never lost it's charm.

Enjoyed pretty much anything he ever put out, and he seemed to have such a good perspective on the world. Depression is a bitch, though. You never know who's just keeping it together until they're not. Ugh.

I'll pour one out for you, Tony, in the dirty alley behind the kitchen after my shift with the crew.

RIP

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5364 on: June 08, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
This one hits like a chef knife to the heart.

When I used to work as a cook that book was passed around like the bible. Would re-read it occasionally too just for fun. Never lost it's charm.

Enjoyed pretty much anything he ever put out, and he seemed to have such a good perspective on the world. Depression is a bitch, though. You never know who's just keeping it together until they're not. Ugh.

I'll pour one out for you, Tony, in the dirty alley behind the kitchen after my shift with the crew.

RIP

Totally get it. I wouldn't say that I have depression, per se, but I have definitely plumbed the depths of shit.

Money can make your life comfortable. But it can't fix a marriage, it can't repair your relationship with a distant alcoholic father. It can't give your life purpose, inherently.

Jordan Peterson gives a great example.

"Imagine being an alcoholic and winning the powerball? You'd be dead in 2 years."

Constantly being "on" and being alert and being interesting takes its toll. I know that feeling. I'm hugely social. But having a good time and happiness aren't the same thing.

A friend of mine posted on FB an hour ago "Reach out to one of your strong friends" and it couldn't be more true.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5365 on: June 08, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »

A friend of mine posted on FB an hour ago "Reach out to one of your strong friends" and it couldn't be more true.

Just did that, had one of the best discussions we've had in awhile. Feels good to have some catharsis in the midst of sad news.

Keep your chin up, CO2. And then clean your room  :wink:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5366 on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Time for my favorite time of year, speaking tests:

Watching the most disruptive students who think they're on top of the world beg me to give them an 'A' after a poor performance. Would've been easy if you just listened.

That and no class for a week. Woo!
The World Ends With You

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5367 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
My parents split when I was 3 :P

I was worried I might be wading in to personal territory with that comment. If it makes me seem like less of an ahole, my parents split when I was five.

Iím not at all a picky eater, but Iíve been known to opt for a bowl of cereal for dinner from time to time, even when perfectly good kimchi and rice was available.

Nah, it's all good. I tell my mother she is a terrible cook often. She can make some delicious meals, but then she makes really strange things too. She once made baked bean muffins. I thought they were terrible haha. I still mock her about those, even though she liked them haha.

Yeah, I occasionally do cereal for dinner myself. Some nights you just can't be F'd cooking, and don't want to put on pants to go out for dinner. So Cereal it is! I'm also a really picky eater though :p I'll try most foods at least once, but once I don't like something, I won't eat it again. I have a weak stomach, so foods I don't like the taste of will make me really sick. Seafood and eggs will pretty much get me to puke on the spot. :P

donovan

« Reply #5368 on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:13 AM »
She once made baked bean muffins.

Make it sweet and it might go over well in Korea 8)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5369 on: June 11, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »

Watching the most disruptive students who think they're on top of the world beg me to give them an 'A' after a poor performance. Would've been easy if you just listened.

I just found out about speaking tests on Friday, thanks to another NET. I had to ask my co, and got it confirmed, but I have no idea when I have to start doing them haha.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5370 on: June 11, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
She once made baked bean muffins.

Make it sweet and it might go over well in Korea 8)

I literally thought that same thing while typing that, without the 'make it sweet' part. haha

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5371 on: June 11, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »

I just found out about speaking tests on Friday, thanks to another NET. I had to ask my co, and got it confirmed, but I have no idea when I have to start doing them haha.
And now that it's started, I'm curious. Does anybody get the option to score a student with a 0?? The grading scales I'm given only scale to about a 40% for the lowest possible outcome. It's rather forgiving especially for students who don't speak a word.
The World Ends With You

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5372 on: June 11, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »

And now that it's started, I'm curious. Does anybody get the option to score a student with a 0?? The grading scales I'm given only scale to about a 40% for the lowest possible outcome. It's rather forgiving especially for students who don't speak a word.
haha. in my old high school, i couldn't give lower than an 8/10 -- for test scores or behaviour. once the students found this out, the rest of the year was an absolute nightmare..

teacher: "this result will affect their university grade, so you must give them a good score"
me: why don't i grade them on their actual ability, effort and behaviour?
teacher: "this result will affect their university grade, so you must give them a good score"

some students spoke no english and got an 8. some students were absent the entire year, got an 8...

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5373 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »

haha. in my old high school, i couldn't give lower than an 8/10 -- for test scores or behaviour. once the students found this out, the rest of the year was an absolute nightmare..

some students spoke no english and got an 8. some students were absent the entire year, got an 8...

Seems rather counter-intuitive to what grades are meant for...  :undecided:
The World Ends With You

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5374 on: June 11, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

We are just doing A, B, and C. C: is can't answer / doesn't understand the question. B: understands, but answers in very simple answers. A: is understands and gives good / longer answers. We aren't focused on pronunciation or anything too much, mostly on if they understand / answer well.
Or something along those lines. The questions used are questions based on stuff we have been covering in the textbook all year.

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings..
« Reply #5375 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »

In control systems, they use a 4-20 mA signal. 4 corresponds to an empty tank, 20 is full.

Everybody who has an interest knows that a 4 mA signal (or an 8/10 in English) is an empty tank.

Control system designers do this so that you can spot a bad sensor even of the tank is empty.  I have no clue why they do it with grades... Or FICO scores.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5376 on: June 12, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »
Today one of my middle school 3rd grade boys is wearing a shirt with the cover from Rammstein - Sehnsucht on it.

I've been a big fan of the band since '97, so I was surprised and stoked to see it. I was skeptical about whether he even knew who they were, since it's definitely not unheard of for people to wear shirts with metal band logos just for fashion reasons these days, but he seemed familiar when I asked him about it.

Unrelated: KEB Hana's online banking works with Chrome now. Not sure how long that's been possible, since I had IE on my other laptop exclusively for paying bills online, but it's working with Chrome on my new lappy. Score.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5377 on: June 12, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
I GOT NO MOTIVATION
WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION?
NO TIME FOR MOTIVATION..................

to plan summer camp..............

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5378 on: June 12, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »

Unrelated: KEB Hana's online banking works with Chrome now. Not sure how long that's been possible, since I had IE on my other laptop exclusively for paying bills online, but it's working with Chrome on my new lappy. Score.

I has been working since the middle/end of last year, I believe.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5379 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
I GOT NO MOTIVATION
WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION?
NO TIME FOR MOTIVATION..................

to plan summer camp..............

I don't start planning it until I know roughly how many students are going to be there. :p so usually about 2 - 3 weeks before camp. Sooner if they need information from me before then, for ordering anything.