July 17, 2018, 07:24:23 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 731292 times)

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5340 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Actually, learning the names will help a lot, as the name is the sound it represents at the top, then the bottom of the syllable you write.

Knowing this will really help your pronunciation and also help you ask how to spell something if you need to. If you're just making the sound and not saying the character name, people are going to be mad confused.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5341 on: May 11, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »
We had a visit from our Provincial Education Superintendent this week.  My students were a little dumbfounded by a: he comes in a chauffeur-driven car and b: he gets makeup put on him when he gets out of the car.  :rolleyes:

Also I met with my Korean friend who works at a different high school.  We were talking about his P and VP.  He told me that they are obsessed with their students getting into Seoul University.  So much so that my friend and other teachers have been told to 'identify' the new 1st grade students that they think can go to Seoul Uni and focus mainly on them for three years.  How many from that high school went to Seoul University last year?  3  :rolleyes:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5342 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
We had a visit from our Provincial Education Superintendent this week.  My students were a little dumbfounded by a: he comes in a chauffeur-driven car and b: he gets makeup put on him when he gets out of the car.  :rolleyes:
It's amazing the things like that, that people with even a little bit of power in this country get.
At the uni I used to work at, the President also had a chauffer driven car. Every morning his lackeys would be waiting for him to arrive. They would open his door for him, give him a cup of something, tea or coffee i guess, as soon as he stepped out of the car, and rush beside him with their heads lowered as he walked the few feet to his office. If it was raining they would drive round the back of the building and up the wheelchair ramp so as to not get a single drop of rain on this poor guy's head.

The foreign teachers were presented with some certificate for our "excellent work". We had to go into his office. It was like a royal court. Plebs running around, opening and closing things, pulling out his chair, picking up his pen and handing it to him, so that he didn't have to lower his wrist like 7cm. All this for the president of a small-mid sized, provincial univeristy with a couple of thousand students.

When I was at uni, back in the mists of time, it was one of the biggest in the Southern hemisphere, top 100 ranked in the world, with about 35,000 attending. The Chancellor would ride the bus to work each day.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5343 on: May 11, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
It's amazing the things like that, that people with even a little bit of power in this country get.
At the uni I used to work at, the President also had a chauffer driven car. Every morning his lackeys would be waiting for him to arrive. They would open his door for him, give him a cup of something, tea or coffee i guess, as soon as he stepped out of the car, and rush beside him with their heads lowered as he walked the few feet to his office. If it was raining they would drive round the back of the building and up the wheelchair ramp so as to not get a single drop of rain on this poor guy's head.

The foreign teachers were presented with some certificate for our "excellent work". We had to go into his office. It was like a royal court. Plebs running around, opening and closing things, pulling out his chair, picking up his pen and handing it to him, so that he didn't have to lower his wrist like 7cm. All this for the president of a small-mid sized, provincial univeristy with a couple of thousand students.

Right.  President of a big company earning loads of money, fine.  President of Korea?  No problems.  Why are they wasting taxpayers money hiring someone to drive around and fix the makeup of someone in 'education'?  He's old, he's got the job because he's old.  Don't treat him like royalty.  A while back, my middle school had an exchange with a school in California.  When the principal and teachers came over here, my school teachers were amazed that their principal was black and also in his late thirties.  Really lovely guy, and obviously got his job through numerous interviews and on merit.  It's like my high school is an 'Innovation' high school, but the innovative ideas are made by teachers in their mid-fifties.  There is nothing innovative about what they are doing.   The decisions are being made by the top with little discussion with the further down people who are more 'innovative'.  It is like your old president, all of this crap is making him detached from anything useful. 

I really need to move back to Scandinavia. 

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5344 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
I made an Native English Teacher Bingo board. I'm attaching the word file so have at it if you are so inclined.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:44:20 PM by robin_teacher »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5345 on: May 11, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
I made an Native English Teacher Bingo board. I'm attaching the word file so have at it if you are so inclined.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is this meant to be played within one day or what? 

My condolences for those who get bingo if the former. 

There are only about 8 of these I haven't experienced (got 3 bingos!)  :laugh:

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5346 on: May 11, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »

Oh yeah, this is daily bingo. I'm having a productive day, as you can see.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5347 on: May 11, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
*Sees an interesting thread has been bumped.*

*Almost clicks it.*

*Sees it was bumped by ESL Turtle.*

*Finds something else to do instead.*

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5348 on: May 11, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
*Sees an interesting thread has been bumped.*

*Almost clicks it.*

*Sees it was bumped by ESL Turtle.*

*Finds something else to do instead.*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He's alright. He's trying.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5349 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Not sure if getting tonsillitis this week was a blessing or curse.

I got to skip all except for one day of class, but the pain sucks. Hooray for the low healthcare costs, I guess?
The World Ends With You

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #5350 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:56 AM »
My avocados 🥑 🥑  came with a small packet of wasabi mix.

????

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5351 on: May 12, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
My avocados 🥑 🥑  came with a small packet of wasabi mix.

????

I once bought a pack of AA batteries with a veggie peeler taped to it.

I'm going to miss the freebies when I leave.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #5352 on: May 12, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
Alas, not enough to make you stay  :wink:

This wasnít one of those taped-five-times-round-the-package freebies, though. This was contained in the packaging, and the mix had images of both avocados and wasabi on it, the implication being you could make wasabi with your avocados. They were American made avocados, so I imagine this is some advertising execís idea to get Asia to consume more of them. I didnít end up making wasabi, but the mix did add a nice little kick to my guacamole~

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5353 on: May 12, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Where's the depressing ramblings thread

one of the kittens passed suddenly about 30 mins ago and I'm devastated

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5354 on: May 14, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
Finally, I've managed to nail down the age of the cleaning lady at my school, she's somewhere between 90-140.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5355 on: May 14, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »

If it weren't for the Bathroom Disaster square, I would have a blackout.  :laugh:

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5356 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
I told my principal that I worry about the noise levels of my class sometimes, and one of her first recommendations to quiet things down is to get... a speaker...  :undecided:
The World Ends With You

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5357 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
Finally, I've managed to nail down the age of the cleaning lady at my school, she's somewhere between 90-140.

At my old gig the afternoon/night security guard was 87 years old. One of the nicest people I've ever met and spoke English very well, so well in fact, he was better than my co teacher at English. He told me once over a fruit salad in the rest room that he said I could chill in at any time, that he earns w3000 per hour but it's better than sitting in the house doing nothing as his wife had passed away years ago. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't say goodbye to him when i changed schools as he wasn't at work on my last few days in the vacation period.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5358 on: May 14, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
I don't understand reality anymore. My entire worldview has been turned on its head.

For my entire life, I've hated coffee. I tried multiple times to get into it, but I just couldn't. I even dated a coffee snob who had me try all sorts of fancy blends and styles, some based on what she knew about my tastes in other foods and drinks, and still I came away hating the stuff.

Once every several years I try to give it another shot, just to see if things have changed or if there is a style I missed that might be palatable. I had been seeing random people mention cold brew coffee a lot lately, so when I saw a bottle of it at the local CU, I decided what the hell.

I'll be damned if I haven't been drinking coffee every day since then. I'm almost angry that none of my friends has said "Hey Tim, why don't you try cold brew? It's not as tongue-f*ckingly awful as regular coffee."

I mean, it still wasn't good right off the bat or anything. It still had that "stale Guinness out of a dirty ashtray" thing that coffee has going, but without the bitterness or acidity. Apparently those were the two main hurdles for me, because I was able to power my way through that first can, and now four or five days later I'm not only drinking it every day, I actually look forward to my next drink.

I've even been looking into contraptions for making it myself to save on money and garbage, and this morning I was pestering my friend for info on different kinds of beans. It's a whole new world for me, so I've got a lot to learn. Hell, maybe cold brew is my gateway and some day I'll actually be able to drink "regular" coffee.

So yeah. I don't understand life anymore.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5359 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
I don't understand reality anymore. My entire worldview has been turned on its head.

For my entire life, I've hated coffee. I tried multiple times to get into it, but I just couldn't. I even dated a coffee snob who had me try all sorts of fancy blends and styles, some based on what she knew about my tastes in other foods and drinks, and still I came away hating the stuff.

Once every several years I try to give it another shot, just to see if things have changed or if there is a style I missed that might be palatable. I had been seeing random people mention cold brew coffee a lot lately, so when I saw a bottle of it at the local CU, I decided what the hell.

I'll be damned if I haven't been drinking coffee every day since then. I'm almost angry that none of my friends has said "Hey Tim, why don't you try cold brew? It's not as tongue-f*ckingly awful as regular coffee."

I mean, it still wasn't good right off the bat or anything. It still had that "stale Guinness out of a dirty ashtray" thing that coffee has going, but without the bitterness or acidity. Apparently those were the two main hurdles for me, because I was able to power my way through that first can, and now four or five days later I'm not only drinking it every day, I actually look forward to my next drink.

I've even been looking into contraptions for making it myself to save on money and garbage, and this morning I was pestering my friend for info on different kinds of beans. It's a whole new world for me, so I've got a lot to learn. Hell, maybe cold brew is my gateway and some day I'll actually be able to drink "regular" coffee.

So yeah. I don't understand life anymore.

This might be a dumb question, but have you ever tried like, putting a bit of milk in your coffee? I've been drinking coffee daily since I was about 16, and probably drink about three or four cups every day. I genuinely like the taste of coffee - as long as it's got a little milk in it. But if you give me black coffee, I have to choke it down and I genuinely don't enjoy it.

Also, CU branded cold brew was really good, but I haven't bought it in about a year. Don't know if it's still good.