November 13, 2018, 07:10:22 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807781 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5340 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
I'm surprised people have mentioned big crowds at E-Mart Traders.  Every time I have gone to the two near me (Ansan and Gunpo) I've actually been surprised at how quiet they were.  To the point I thought these places aren't going to last.  Maybe they're a mad house on weekends.  I go during the week, but Costco on a weeknight certainly has crowds.

The Ansan store is the one I walked out of.  Usually it isn't too bad. I often get lunch there.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5341 on: June 07, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
Anyone have a horse meat or black pork restaurant suggestions in Jeju?

donovan

« Reply #5342 on: June 07, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
Aussies of Korea, rejoice: Emart (Traders, anyway) now carries Weet-Bix~

That's too bad. :p

As a NZer, who also grew up with Weet-bix, all I'll say is: Ewwwww gross D:
I don't know why people subjugate themselves to that soggy cardboard tasting cereal. :P
I also dislike vegemite and marmite :p

I dunno. I ended up buying some and trying it for the first time. Tastes to me like corn flakes pounded into a dry phyllo dough.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5343 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »

I don't know why people subjugate themselves to that soggy cardboard tasting cereal. :P

I dunno. I ended up buying some and trying it for the first time. Tastes to me like corn flakes pounded into a dry phyllo dough.
I break them up and let them soak up the milk. More of a pablum consistency when they are ready.

Offline keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5344 on: June 07, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »

I went to this place last year  in Jeju City called 화통삼. It was really close to my hotel at the time and had an awesome amount of side dishes and vegetables. It's a black pork place.

donovan

« Reply #5345 on: June 07, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »
Ha. Just as we're preparing to head to America so I can take a nursing course in the fall, my wife applies on a lark for a good job with a major Korean bank's new fintech unit and, just now we learn, gets it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5346 on: June 07, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
Ha. Just as we're preparing to head to America so I can take a nursing course in the fall, my wife applies on a lark for a good job with a major Korean bank's new fintech unit and, just now we learn, gets it.
You'd make a good "Mr. Mom".

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5347 on: June 07, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

I went to this place last year  in Jeju City called 화통삼. It was really close to my hotel at the time and had an awesome amount of side dishes and vegetables. It's a black pork place.

When are you headed there? I am also in need of a few recommendations. I had a really good place some years ago, and it was about 60 for the 2 person course for the horse - about 80 after drinks and stuff. I think 2 people ran around 50 for the Jeju pork. If anyone knows of a place that does pork but also has some steamed horse or something on the menu, I would like to know. My wife doesn't want to eat horse again, but I do, and I wouldn't be able to finish the course mentioned above. I will see if I can find a name for you though HaLo. I will be heading there tomorrow afternoon, so have been looking around, too.

Last time we ate at a Jeju pork place called 나대감... You can find it on the map if you search 나대감 제주점.
I can't remember the name of the horse place.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5348 on: June 07, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
Oh hey, grats.
 My uncle was a nurse for a few decades before specializing as an anesthesiologist (although judging from fb, he now mostly island hops in the Aegean sea with his wife, and fronts for a rock band...).
Anyway, from what I gather, it's a pretty stressful job (nursing, that is. Not loitering at Mediterranean beaches), but one where you have loads of opportunities to really make a difference in other people's lives. Good luck with the course!

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5349 on: June 07, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »

I've just never liked the taste. My father loves it. He will even eat weet-bix for dinner sometimes. :p

donovan

« Reply #5350 on: June 07, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »

Thanks^^

Oh hey, grats.
 My uncle was a nurse for a few decades before specializing as an anesthesiologist (although judging from fb, he now mostly island hops in the Aegean sea with his wife, and fronts for a rock band...).
Anyway, from what I gather, it's a pretty stressful job (nursing, that is. Not loitering at Mediterranean beaches), but one where you have loads of opportunities to really make a difference in other people's lives. Good luck with the course!

Thanks^^ Although my wife deserves the grats at this point. And your uncle too; Sounds like he's found something that really works for him. :wink:

I've just never liked the taste. My father loves it. He will even eat weet-bix for dinner sometimes. :p

Mother's not a whiz in the kitchen I take it :P

I didn't mind the taste, but it's no Grape Nuts~

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5351 on: June 07, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »

I love grape nuts.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5352 on: June 07, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »

That's fantastic!

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5353 on: June 07, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »

Thanks^^

Oh hey, grats.

Thanks^^ Although my wife deserves the grats at this point. And your uncle too; Sounds like he's found something that really works for him. :wink:

Mother's not a whiz in the kitchen I take it :P

My parents split when I was 3 :P
My dad is just a picky eater I guess. He usually fixes something himself, or buys dinner :P
If my step mother cooks something he likes, he'll eat that. :P

donovan

« Reply #5354 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
My parents split when I was 3 :P

I was worried I might be wading in to personal territory with that comment. If it makes me seem like less of an ahole, my parents split when I was five.

I’m not at all a picky eater, but I’ve been known to opt for a bowl of cereal for dinner from time to time, even when perfectly good kimchi and rice was available.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5355 on: June 07, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »
It's easy to tell when the workday has begun in the UK, because that's when eujunseo comes in and bumps half the threads on the front page.

donovan

« Reply #5356 on: June 07, 2018, 08:35:32 PM »

Actually, I may be headed more the direction of “absentee father”. Her whole family is of the opinion that it’s best that I continue with my study plans while they stay here with the baby and my wife works on building her career. :lipsrsealed:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5357 on: June 07, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »

Actually, I may be headed more the direction of “absentee father”. Her whole family is of the opinion that it’s best that I continue with my study plans while they stay here with the baby and my wife works on building her career. :lipsrsealed:
I thought you said they liked you...

donovan

« Reply #5358 on: June 08, 2018, 06:10:29 AM »
Foreigners can be learned to be loved, but nobody likes a perennial contract worker.

N.B. Your ‘Danny-Tanner’ could use some work :undecided:

donovan

« Reply #5359 on: June 08, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »

Ah, I thought from your original post you'd both be heading to the states.  But she'd stay here?  You'd not even be a 주말부부 :huh:

That's the(ir) idea. I guess it's not such an uncommon set up for immigrants of a lot of countries, but the big difference is that it's usually done in families that share the same language and culture. Yeah, not really sure how this is all gonna land just yet.