November 20, 2018, 01:41:39 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 816122 times)

donovan

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5320 on: June 05, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Is it just me or is there an epidemic of "broken/sprained"-cast-requiring leg injuries among students? At all three of my schools I have at least 1-3 students in every grade with a leg cast and crutches.  :undecided:

One of my students has injured his foot. He's not using crutches, but it looks to be in a cast.
The maintenance man broke his leg around his achilles tendon too. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and is limping around the school now (in crutches)

It's not just you. Every week someone new is in a cast. Someone else on here said it a while back, but it seems to be an overreaction to any kind of injury they might get (the kind we would just shrug off if it happened back home). That or Koreans are just extremely reckless (I can believe either way).

TBH, I've rarely seen people at any of my schools in casts.
But, I do understand the over-reaction to simple stuff here, like going to the hospital for a cold haha

That's what I teach my students.

Because it's in their English textbooks :cry:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5321 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
Is it just me or is there an epidemic of "broken/sprained"-cast-requiring leg injuries among students? At all three of my schools I have at least 1-3 students in every grade with a leg cast and crutches.  :undecided:

One of my students has injured his foot. He's not using crutches, but it looks to be in a cast.
The maintenance man broke his leg around his achilles tendon too. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and is limping around the school now (in crutches)

It's not just you. Every week someone new is in a cast. Someone else on here said it a while back, but it seems to be an overreaction to any kind of injury they might get (the kind we would just shrug off if it happened back home). That or Koreans are just extremely reckless (I can believe either way).

TBH, I've rarely seen people at any of my schools in casts.
But, I do understand the over-reaction to simple stuff here, like going to the hospital for a cold haha

That's what I teach my students.

Because it's in their English textbooks :cry:

Usually it's in mine too. I after teaching that from the textbook, I ask them what to do if you have a cold.
They'll usually say it back to me, but then I tell them: "good job on speaking English, but don't do this for a cold." And then, with the help of my co-teacher, teach them the better way: Stay at home, take medicine, and rest. Don't go to school / work, because you can get other people sick.
I like to think, in the future, they might follow that, even if they don't have control over it now haha.
Though, my co-workers at my current school do it the English way too, which was surprising!

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5322 on: June 05, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
I'm clicking on every single one of eujunseo's posts cuz I'm never certain if they're a link or not.

Be sick if it was some sort of long game strategy for slipping in sly links down the road.

Hmmm.... has he realised the truth about my blue posts?
Will anyone find the secret link that is hidden in this post?

Did you know, you can actually make the spaces *between* words into hyperlinks!

Nice!

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5323 on: June 05, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
Did you know, you can actually make the spaces *between* words into hyperlinks!
sinister

Must have took you a long time to make this post...

donovan

« Reply #5324 on: June 05, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5325 on: June 05, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #5326 on: June 05, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
:laugh:
Yes. Especially that question mark. Drawing crowds is always a hand-cramper. But you guys are totally worth it!

Also, I'm toying with the idea of making all of my future replies like this. I need to work on my paper-cutting style before proceeding with my kidnap and ransom plans.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:18:14 PM by kyndo »

donovan

« Reply #5327 on: June 05, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »

Yes. Especially that question mark. Drawing crowds is always a hand-cramper. But you guys are totally worth it!

I appreciated it~
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:20:02 PM by donovan »

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5328 on: June 05, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

Also, I'm toying with the idea of making all of my future replies like this. I need to work on my paper-cutting style before proceeding with my kidnap and ransom plans.

So what's the phone number for the police again in Korea?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5329 on: June 05, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5330 on: June 05, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »

112 it is.
Lol that woman's face though

donovan

« Reply #5331 on: June 05, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »
I was somehow under the impression that the election is tomorrow.

We have another week of this sh*t?

donovan

« Reply #5332 on: June 06, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »

I think minus tomorrow.  Apparently, there are no comedy programs on tv as it is a solemn day so I doubt they'd be allowed to blare out banging music.  Could be wrong though.

All is quiet so far, helicopter fly-by aside.

donovan

« Reply #5333 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Aussies of Korea, rejoice: Emart (Traders, anyway) now carries Weet-Bix~

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5334 on: June 06, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
And the price is not outrageous... But the checkout line was last time I dropped in specifically to get it.

#nosale

donovan

« Reply #5335 on: June 06, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
And the price is not outrageous... But the checkout line was last time I dropped in specifically to get it.

#nosale

Itís hard to justify going there as the lines and sheer size of the place makes it unweildy, not to mention a piss-poor selection given its vastness (we couldnít even find saltine crackers :rolleyes:), but we were in need of bagels, Roman Meal bread, cream cheese, Tasterís Choice, and plain Yoplait. Without a Costco membership, itís all I got.

donovan

« Reply #5336 on: June 07, 2018, 07:14:09 AM »

I think minus tomorrow.  Apparently, there are no comedy programs on tv as it is a solemn day so I doubt they'd be allowed to blare out banging music.  Could be wrong though.

All is quiet so far, helicopter fly-by aside.

Almost right.  People were on the corners, but not as many as usual, and minus the banging music.

Same. I saw them out on the walking paths during my evening run, but nothing too aggressive (at compared to my aggressive cutting and juking between all the annoying walkers who dared not to get out of my way). Electioneering trucks were definitely revving their engines this morning, though.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5337 on: June 07, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
Whoever is candidate #2 for my area has the most obnoxious campaign by far. At least the other groups advertising don't have music consuming the entire intersection area and people shouting at the top of their lungs
The World Ends With You

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5338 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »

That's too bad. :p

As a NZer, who also grew up with Weet-bix, all I'll say is: Ewwwww gross D:
I don't know why people subjugate themselves to that soggy cardboard tasting cereal. :P
I also dislike vegemite and marmite :p

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5339 on: June 07, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »
I'm surprised people have mentioned big crowds at E-Mart Traders.  Every time I have gone to the two near me (Ansan and Gunpo) I've actually been surprised at how quiet they were.  To the point I thought these places aren't going to last.  Maybe they're a mad house on weekends.  I go during the week, but Costco on a weeknight certainly has crowds.