December 11, 2018, 11:32:00 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 847278 times)

Offline SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5280 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
Enlighten a not vegan, but pescetarian soul, why on earth can't you send the unruly students out?
I have been reading more and more posts with growing amazement at how some Korean students have become a nightmare to cope with. Doesn't keeping them in the classroom make the whole point of your class: guided conversation, fairly useless?  :-[
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink:

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5281 on: June 04, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
I seriously love your posts, Chinguetti. You are like my patch that I use to deal with the lost of DrGenderPotato.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know a patch is nothing like the real thing, but I'm glad it helps.

The two of you have posts that are basically identical in quality. Honestly, at first, I thought DrGenderPotato got banned and you were their new account.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But then, I finally found DrGenderPotato's final post, which explained why she disappeared from Waygook. So I'm glad you're here to fill that sad gap.  ;D

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5282 on: June 04, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Biggest analysis to date reveals huge footprint of livestock - it provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland

Avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet, according to the scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet.

The new research shows that without meat and dairy consumption, global farmland use could be reduced by more than 75% – an area equivalent to the US, China, European Union and Australia combined – and still feed the world. Loss of wild areas to agriculture is the leading cause of the current mass extinction of wildlife.

The new analysis shows that while meat and dairy provide just 18% of calories and 37% of protein, it uses the vast majority – 83% – of farmland and produces 60% of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions. Other recent research shows 86% of all land mammals are now livestock or humans. The scientists also found that even the very lowest impact meat and dairy products still cause much more environmental harm than the least sustainable vegetable and cereal growing.

The study, published in the journal Science, created a huge dataset based on almost 40,000 farms in 119 countries and covering 40 food products that represent 90% of all that is eaten. It assessed the full impact of these foods, from farm to fork, on land use, climate change emissions, freshwater use and water pollution (eutrophication) and air pollution (acidification).

“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use,” said Joseph Poore, at the University of Oxford, UK, who led the research. “It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car,” he said, as these only cut greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth#comments

Interesting stuff  :azn:

The last time I tried to go vegetarian / Vegan. I lasted at most, about 1 - 2 seconds. :p

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5283 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
Realized today that I look forward to the beginning of each new semester because I love obliterating the hopes of students who think they can **** around in my class. I have to reinforce this concept throughout the year with certain students, but those crestfallen pouts are just the best when they're coming from some new but misguided sense of power and I get to strip that away from them.

I could use some class management lessons from you. Things are usually fine with the exception of one or two students that do whatever they please. They don't listen to me when I tell them to stop, and my co-teachers pretty much don't do anything (except punish them for the wrong reasons). Even today I'll have class with a pair of students who are "notorious" for being disruptive and rude. Funny how far these things go with no consequences.

I learned early on that you've got to be ruthless with them and be willing to punish the entire class for the misbehavior of just one or two. You've got to instill a sense of authority over them from day 1. Rules need to be dictated, explained, and 100% enforced -- the only variance you should have is in the degree of the consequences, but there should always be a consequence. If you do A, then B WILL happen. I don't waste time arguing with them (although, if the case warrants it, I will have one-on-one talks with certain students outside of the classroom). My approach is a little different for younger students (I ask them to point out the rule that they broke if they want to argue because sometimes their young minds fail to focus on that and need a little direction) vs. older students, but it's all still pretty much the same.

My teacher persona is also modeled after Christopher Walken. I go from friendly/nice/fun to quiet/scary/threatening and back to friendly/nice/fun on a dime. Super effective. Because it's absolutely important for them to know that you're not happy with them BUT that you're still in control -- they didn't get the best of you. Instead, they need to know that they made a HUGE mistake. You're not a toy that they can kick around. You're a hornet's nest, and they're going to get what's coming to them if they try to play with you. Everything's got to be on your terms. This is especially important for older students who try to get their "jollies" out of upsetting the teachers. Never get red-hot in front of them... it's always got to be a slow and controlled burn, with the charge leading right up to the student.

You've also got to show them that you're willing to investigate all of their claims, lol. And for especially problematic situations/students/schools, recording is your best friend.

Anyway, long-story-short, it comes down to attitude and persona. You need to do what you need to do for the students to see you as an authority figure, not a clown. Some schools make this hard for NETs, so you've also got to learn to be creative.

It's unfortunate, at one of my schools we got a bunch of soccer students. They have this "I'm a soccer team student so I don't have to study" mentality. They are like this with all the Korean teachers as well. about 90% of the students have become super disruptive in the class now too. I used to use methods to get them to police themselves, but they greatly out number the good students now, so it's no longer working. In a class of 20, like 16 or so, have just become so disruptive (there might only be 5 - 6 soccer player students in the class, but the other 9 - 10 love soccer too, so they join in on that mentality).

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5284 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
It's unfortunate, at one of my schools we got a bunch of soccer students. They have this "I'm a soccer team student so I don't have to study" mentality. They are like this with all the Korean teachers as well. about 90% of the students have become super disruptive in the class now too. I used to use methods to get them to police themselves, but they greatly out number the good students now, so it's no longer working. In a class of 20, like 16 or so, have just become so disruptive (there might only be 5 - 6 soccer player students in the class, but the other 9 - 10 love soccer too, so they join in on that mentality).

I hope your students soon realise that they have almost no chance to become a professional football player. They'll be better off studying.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5285 on: June 04, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

I hope your students soon realise that they have almost no chance to become a professional football player. They'll be better off studying.

Yeah, you wanna focus on soccer, that's fine. But it's like making being an astronaut your only priority, or being CEO. There's only so many jobs like that.

OH WAIT, getting a Master's in Engineering or a Master's in Business Administration is super useful and opens the door to so many different jobs.

Learning to kick a ball really well basically has one application.

Stay in academics kids.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5286 on: June 04, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

Haha. I do too. >.< Last semester this used to be my favourite school to teach at. Now... I'm extremely happy that I have the next 2 Wednesday's off work. :P

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5287 on: June 04, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »

Yeah, you wanna focus on soccer, that's fine. But it's like making being an astronaut your only priority, or being CEO. There's only so many jobs like that.

OH WAIT, getting a Master's in Engineering or a Master's in Business Administration is super useful and opens the door to so many different jobs.

Stay in academics kids.

Ain't that the truth!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5288 on: June 04, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »

Stay in academics kids.

To be fair, being athletic and attractive can open a lot of opportunities in life, too, though.

Not as many as being athletic, attractive, and having an MBA/MEng!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5289 on: June 04, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
To be fair, being athletic and attractive can open a lot of opportunities in life, too, though.

Well, yeah............. haha. There are a lot of jobs in sports, but if you f up all your academics and only can kick a ball around, you're closing a lot of doors to the administrative/business side of sports, too.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5290 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

Stay in academics kids.

Yep. Cannot agree more.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5291 on: June 04, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
I have quite a few students who are sports players, but they only 'study' in the morning and even then they don't do anything.  It's such a crazy 'practice, practice, practice' life.  The four archery students practice from 12pm to 9pm everyday.  If they fail, they have nothing to fall back on.  I prefer the French system where they're expected to juggle playing and studying to get basic qualifications.  That's why French football players make good commentators on tv, they actually have an education.  Same goes for Dutch/Danish etc.

Exactly, you're in class learning. You literally can't be practicing for soccer, SO, do a good job. Maybe you're not a A+ student, fair play. But try and get some decent marks at least. The world is your oyster if you have decent marks at 18. If you f'ed up your entire academic career at 18 but are good at kicking a ball, your choices become a lot more narrow.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5292 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
I have quite a few students who are sports players, but they only 'study' in the morning and even then they don't do anything.  It's such a crazy 'practice, practice, practice' life.  The four archery students practice from 12pm to 9pm everyday.  If they fail, they have nothing to fall back on.  I prefer the French system where they're expected to juggle playing and studying to get basic qualifications.  That's why French football players make good commentators on tv, they actually have an education.  Same goes for Dutch/Danish etc.

Exactly, you're in class learning. You literally can't be practicing for soccer, SO, do a good job. Maybe you're not a A+ student, fair play. But try and get some decent marks at least. The world is your oyster if you have decent marks at 18. If you f'ed up your entire academic career at 18 but are good at kicking a ball, your choices become a lot more narrow.
Another quality post by the legendary CO2

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5293 on: June 04, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
Who's up for a Gimchee Dzigae on Wednesday? I know a great place in Pusan.  8)
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5294 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Another quality post by the legendary CO2
A 큰절 for you.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5295 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
Haha. I do too. >.< Last semester this used to be my favourite school to teach at. Now... I'm extremely happy that I have the next 2 Wednesday's off work. :P

You seem very excited about your next two Wednesdays!
Did you post about your Wednesdays in other thread as well? Pretty sure I've seen another post about being off for next two Wednesdays.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5296 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »

Too bad, I'm on the other side of the globe.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5297 on: June 04, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

Exactly this. My students mentality is basically: This isn't soccer, so it's boring and not worth my time.
When they actually try, in English, its: read the words on the piece of paper and fill in the blanks with "play soccer."
You end up with things like "What is your name, play soccer?" "My name is play soccer." OK teacher, finished!
Getting them to do anything more than that, is like pulling teeth. Hell, even if I try to do a game based lesson its just "No game, teacher. Play soccer, please?!"

At the beginning of the year, a bunch of my good students actually transferred schools because of them. And a lot of teachers left the school knowing that the old principal, just before he retired, accepted the soccer students (it's a private school).

I mean, not everything you learn in school is going to be useful, but at least it gives you options to fall back on should you need them. The students don't seem to grasp that, even when my co-teacher tried to explain it to them. haha

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5298 on: June 04, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »

I'm def down for some keemstar g-gay on When's day? But let's not go to PBusan, tis a silly place. Let's go to hawngday in Saw-ool.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5299 on: June 04, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

I'd be down if I could get to busan and back. However, buses to and from busan, from my area, all finish SUPER early. (I think 1 30pm is the latest bus, and it's only a 3 hour bus ride).