August 20, 2018, 10:13:34 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 746137 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5280 on: May 05, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Happy Saturday, I just accidentally dumped freshly boiled water all down the front of my body wearing Woolen sleep pants and socks
🙂🔫
Wow. Feel better.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5281 on: May 06, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
Sat down and talked with one of my co-teachers over some tea. She asked me about classrooms in America, and started telling me how envious she was that parents back home stress good grades AND good behavior.

That said, I started wondering how the pay here for the average Korean teacher compares to the average American teacher. I know American teachers are waging protests these days for better pay, but she told me it's pretty bad here too.

Anyone know how it stacks up?

korean teachers actually get paid very well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teacher-salaries-by-country-2016-1/?IR=T

also bear in mind that those figures don't even include all the bonuses korean teachers get. 60% of their salary as a bonus for seolnal, and again for chuseok. they also get a performance-based bonus each year depending on whether they achieve a rank of S, A, or B, and it's impossible to get ranked as below B, so no matter how shitty their performance is they'll still get a bonus. Bonus for B rank for a younger teacher is around 1 million Won i think.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5282 on: May 07, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
Sat down and talked with one of my co-teachers over some tea. She asked me about classrooms in America, and started telling me how envious she was that parents back home stress good grades AND good behavior.

That said, I started wondering how the pay here for the average Korean teacher compares to the average American teacher. I know American teachers are waging protests these days for better pay, but she told me it's pretty bad here too.

Anyone know how it stacks up?

korean teachers actually get paid very well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teacher-salaries-by-country-2016-1/?IR=T

also bear in mind that those figures don't even include all the bonuses korean teachers get. 60% of their salary as a bonus for seolnal, and again for chuseok. they also get a performance-based bonus each year depending on whether they achieve a rank of S, A, or B, and it's impossible to get ranked as below B, so no matter how shitty their performance is they'll still get a bonus. Bonus for B rank for a younger teacher is around 1 million Won i think.

Yeah, not sure why some Koreans in the education office bitch about us being so "expensive".  They need to check their facts before they run off at the mouth spouting ignorance. 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5283 on: May 08, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »
So for fun I was checking how many days I have left at work.

109 days til the end of my contract!

and

73 days til the end of term!

:shocked:

My motivation is slowly creeping down every day though. I still do a good job and I doubt anyone has noticed much but mentally I just can't be arsed anymore.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5284 on: May 08, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »

and

My motivation is slowly creeping down every day though. I still do a good job and I doubt anyone has noticed much but mentally I just can't be arsed anymore.

Are you peace-ing out when you're done, or just peace-ing out of that particular job?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5285 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »

and

Are you peace-ing out when you're done, or just peace-ing out of that particular job?

Peace - ing out out. Back home.

It's pretty ****** scary actually.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5286 on: May 08, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »

and

I did that.... then came back a year later. Hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me. :)

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5287 on: May 08, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »

and

Marks and Spencers isn't really that scary.  I mean no one really does their main shop there, just some special bits.

And Cornish pasties?

And you get to go to a country pub and drink ale 

:cry:

And you actually have a build up to Christmas that means something...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5288 on: May 08, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »

and

I did that.... then came back a year later. Hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me. :)

That's super scary. What made you come back? If you don't mind me asking.

Most of the people I know that went and came back again went into teaching back home and hated it.

I think emotionally I'm really done with Korea.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5289 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »

and

Marks and Spencers isn't really that scary.  I mean no one really does their main shop there, just some special bits.

And Cornish pasties?

And you get to go to a country pub and drink ale 

:cry:

And you actually have a build up to Christmas that means something...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Everything in this post was beautiful.

I doubt I'll ever be able to shop regularly in Marks and Sparks though   :cry: Maybe late at night when they discount. Anyway...Waitrose is posher now isn't it?

Christmas is going to be amazing. I really miss the buzz of it, it was always and still is my favorite time of year. I know people say it's too much and Christmas is just commercialized now but I really don't care. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Thanks Dave I'm excited to go back again now.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:46:50 PM by Pennypie »

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5290 on: May 08, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

and

Most of the people I know that went and came back again went into teaching back home and hated it.

After about 8 months, the "reverse culture shock" things hadn't gone away.... and I realized they probably never would. I also realized how much I actually missed my job in Korea and how much I missed life there. The grass always seems greener.... then you realize it actually wasn't. :-/

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5291 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »
Sometimes, the Korean teachers write some things that are so dubious and as a native English teacher having students coming and asking questions about it makes it more difficult.

Today, one question was about 'making a boomerang' and the choice and correct answer was to substitute the word 'making' and to use the word 'build'.  I can find some sites that use build, but it is so unnatural. 

The other one annoyed me no end.  The text was in English, all of the answers were in English and you had to pick the correct missing sentence.  But, to me, three of the options were the same.  But the teacher who wrote it (who makes only grammar questions) said it was correct with the Korean grammar way of looking at things.  No student has kicked up a fuss, but when I told my co-teacher she agreed  with me. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5292 on: May 08, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
Sometimes, the Korean teachers write some things that are so dubious and as a native English teacher having students coming and asking questions about it makes it more difficult.

Today, one question was about 'making a boomerang' and the choice and correct answer was to substitute the word 'making' and to use the word 'build'.  I can find some sites that use build, but it is so unnatural. 

The other one annoyed me no end.  The text was in English, all of the answers were in English and you had to pick the correct missing sentence.  But, to me, three of the options were the same.  But the teacher who wrote it (who makes only grammar questions) said it was correct with the Korean grammar way of looking at things.  No student has kicked up a fuss, but when I told my co-teacher she agreed  with me.

I think one of the most frustrating things for me is when students are taught that 'a' as in 'cat' is pronounced the same as 애. I know that it's not the same as 아, but it certainly sounds a lot more similar to 아.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5293 on: May 08, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »

and

I left and came back a few months later myself.
For me, I had a job lined up in Japan, at the last minute it fell through. I managed to find my current public school position really quick, and got offered the spot during the interview for it.

I'm glad things worked out this way. While I think I'd be much happier in Japan, my current job in Korea is pretty great. I enjoy my schools, co-workers, and most of my students (There are a few new students that, think everything that isn't soccer is below them, and because they are part of the soccer team, they don't have to do any of the work from any teacher / subject.)
The classes these students have joined have become much harder to teach, even for the Korean teachers, because their bad attitude is rubbing off on other students. Luckily, they had an important soccer game about 3 weeks back. The classes were really rude to: my co-teacher, the principal, and myself. The principal asked me, how we would discipline students back home. I said, detention (writing an English sentence over and over) during lunchtime, afterschool, or during some kind of event, like a soccer game, that uses their time. The principal chose their soccer game time, and ask me to run the DT, and they -almost- had to forfeit the game because of so many students in DT. They weren't happy. :p

I'm planning to make the jump to Japan in the future still though. My current 1st graders at my main school are great kids, passionate about learning English, and have pretty good English abilities; considering, we live in the middle of nowhere, and I'm probably the only native English speaker they will meet for a long time. I'm thinking of staying here until those students graduate; or until the school doesn't want to renew me; or until I can't take the isolation anymore. I'm in a super rural spot, where it is hard to travel to anywhere for the weekend or whatever; I understand what you mean about being emotionally done with Korea. Depending on a lot of factors, it can be mentally draining on us foreigners.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5294 on: May 08, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »

I think one of the most frustrating things for me is when students are taught that 'a' as in 'cat' is pronounced the same as 애. I know that it's not the same as 아, but it certainly sounds a lot more similar to 아.

And the short 'o' sound is 아.

핫초코

Ugh

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5295 on: May 08, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »

And the short 'o' sound is 아.

핫초코

Ugh

That one's pretty bad, too, but I feel like it isn't quite as bad as saying that 'cat' is pronounced '캣'

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5296 on: May 08, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »
Until someone manages to make Korea understand that Hangul isn't good for anything but Korean, they will continue to use it as a teaching aid for English which will lead all Korean students to base their pronunciation of English upon it.

Every breakthrough i make with kids regarding pronunciation is destroyed within a week by a (useless) Korean teacher using Hangul to teach pronunciation of the alphabet.  Pock light op you marder pocker. 

Why is this still a thing?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5297 on: May 08, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
Until someone manages to make Korea understand that Hangul isn't good for anything but Korean, they will continue to use it as a teaching aid for English which will lead all Korean students to base their pronunciation of English upon it.

Every breakthrough i make with kids regarding pronunciation is destroyed within a week by a (useless) Korean teacher using Hangul to teach pronunciation of the alphabet.  Pock light op you marder pocker. 

Sorry but why is it such a big deal?

These kids are never going to sound like a native speaker. They aren't native speakers.

but showing the kids the pronunciation in their own language helps them when they are first learning. It gives them something to relate to .

It also helps lower level kids to participate when they would otherwise have no chance.

I know when I first arrived I learned Hangul using English pronunciation guides.

Are you saying you didn't? You learned using only Hangul and sounds?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5298 on: May 08, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »

These kids are never going to sound like a native speaker. They aren't native speakers.

but showing the kids the pronunciation in their own language helps them when they are first learning. It gives them something to relate to .

It also helps lower level kids to participate when they would otherwise have no chance.

I know when I first arrived I learned Hangul using English pronunciation guides.

For beginners it is a good thing. It's another thing when it is promoted across all levels of English learning. Can't really say they're learning "proper" English otherwise. If they have their own pronunciations for well-established English words, it will make communication with native speakers more difficult than if they knew the actual pronunciation.
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5299 on: May 08, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »

For elementary students, like you said, it can be useful.  To include special education students or the ones who are having trouble reading then yes, it is really useful and it helps build confidence.  But there is a cutoff point.  Also for the students who don't need that kind of crutch, just listening to the teacher talking will help them develop their pronunciation and make it more natural.  Also, as with most people, some pick up natural speaking quicker than others, what in most languages is called having 'an ear for languages'.  I think in my time here, I'd say there were five teachers who have had faultless, perfect pronunciation in English.  There have been loads where they've had a slight Korean twinge occasionally or a lack of grammar or vocabulary, but only five that I couldn't find anything wrong.