September 25, 2018, 12:10:05 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771839 times)

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5260 on: April 27, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
Being made fun of in good humour, only.  And, no.  What's been going on with your school is not normal.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5261 on: April 27, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
Yeah, you basically got placed in a really dysfunctional school. Take everything anyone says or does there with a lot of salt. There's probably a lot of weird shit going on behind closed doors, too.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5262 on: April 27, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
Imagine a united Korea. Do you think the North Koreans will be called waygookins behind their backs or even to their faces by the Versace handbag wielding South Korean house wives in Starbucks?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5263 on: April 27, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »
Imagine a united Korea. Do you think the North Koreans will be called waygookins behind their backs or even to their faces by the Versace handbag wielding South Korean house wives in Starbucks?

I wonder, do you think they'd shrink away from the Americano on the menu?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5264 on: April 30, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Bought an air purifier but had it shipped to my school since every time I get it shipped home they send it back. I must say, it's a LOT bigger than the picture online made it seem. Now I just gotta figure out how to carry it back...
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5265 on: April 30, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
Bought an air purifier but had it shipped to my school since every time I get it shipped home they send it back. I must say, it's a LOT bigger than the picture online made it seem. Now I just gotta figure out how to carry it back...

It was Peter Dinklage that was advertising it, right?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5266 on: May 02, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Heard you're taking a pizza making course in Italy this summer.  :rolleyes:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5267 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
The admin lady in our teachers' room, on the other side of the room, has been sniffing every 20 seconds for the last three days.  Do you think I could sneak over and stuff some toilet roll up her nose?

Still continues to sniff every twenty seconds for over two weeks now.  Toilet roll maybe not work anymore, how about a swimming towel?

Still sniffing.

Almost two months.

I tried explaining to my co-t why I can't sit in the teachers' room most of the time, this sniffing was one reason.  The second being the 'teeth-sucking' after lunch.  Lunch time and 5th period are teachers' room no-go time. 

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5268 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »
One thing that's a mystery to me:

My main school, in a more metropolitan area, has a water fountain with cold and hot options, but the bathrooms only have cold water in the sinks. My second school, in the countryside, has a busted water fountain that hasn't been fixed since last semester, but the sinks in the bathroom have always had hot water. It's so backwards.

I don't understand why, and I don't suppose I ever will.
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5269 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »

My main school, in a more metropolitan area, has a water fountain with cold and hot options, but the bathrooms only have cold water in the sinks. My second school, in the countryside, has a busted water fountain that hasn't been fixed since last semester, but the sinks in the bathroom have always had hot water. It's so backwards.

Don't even get me started on the lack of hot water in most washrooms here. It's literally one of the dumbest things. School budgets may not be unlimited, but they are often very sizeable, and very poorly allocated. Not a single school I have worked in has had hot water in the bathrooms year round. Two had it in the winter, but would turn it off as soon as the risk of freezing was past.

But a lot of the time, especially in the winter, nobody will wash their hands because the water is too cold. And washing your hands in warm water is generally better than washing your hands in cold water.

But nobody washes their hands, anyways.

How did it come about that every classroom has a giant, modern TV, but the schoolboard never saw fit to outfit schools with hot water? There are literally wall-mounted electric hot water heaters that can be installed with very little in the way of new plumbing needed. Or, you're Korea - you're literally a rich, modern country. Install real hot water heaters.

And stop putting disgusting bar soap in the bathrooms of schools. Like, put a soap pump. And encourage people to practice basic hygiene. OH MY GOD SERIOUSLY wash your hands people.

I was in Costco in Cheonan ;ast week.  in the bathrooms there are signs (in English and Korean) that say:

"All employees must wash their hands with soap and warm water before returning to work."

The Korean next to me (with Costco ID badge) finished pissing, zipped up and walked straight out!

No fooks are given to anyone excepts themselves #selfish

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5270 on: May 03, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »

Don't even get me started on the lack of hot water in most washrooms here. It's literally one of the dumbest things. School budgets may not be unlimited, but they are often very sizeable, and very poorly allocated. Not a single school I have worked in has had hot water in the bathrooms year round. Two had it in the winter, but would turn it off as soon as the risk of freezing was past.

But a lot of the time, especially in the winter, nobody will wash their hands because the water is too cold. And washing your hands in warm water is generally better than washing your hands in cold water.

But nobody washes their hands, anyways.

How did it come about that every classroom has a giant, modern TV, but the schoolboard never saw fit to outfit schools with hot water? There are literally wall-mounted electric hot water heaters that can be installed with very little in the way of new plumbing needed. Or, you're Korea - you're literally a rich, modern country. Install real hot water heaters.

And stop putting disgusting bar soap in the bathrooms of schools. Like, put a soap pump. And encourage people to practice basic hygiene. OH MY GOD SERIOUSLY wash your hands people.

Depending on how the bathroom is set up, you may be able to do as I do and turn the water heater on. I located the small heater under the sink, and turn it on if there isn't warm water. It doesn't take time to heat up since it is so small.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5271 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
I taught Onomatopoeias today, and my final activity was for the students to draw on some comic panels I provided them, using at least 3 onomatopoeias to make a story.

Now, you would think that the students who usually just doodle and ignore me would take this opportunity to actually put that skill to use,and they certainly did doodle... On another sheet of paper  :undecided:

Logic?
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5272 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
I taught Onomatopoeias today, and my final activity was for the students to draw on some comic panels I provided them, using at least 3 onomatopoeias to make a story.

Now, you would think that the students who usually just doodle and ignore me would take this opportunity to actually put that skill to use,and they certainly did doodle... On another sheet of paper  :undecided:

Logic?

I've had kids do this same thing. Really, it's just because they don't want to do any work related to the subject itself. It's kind of a form of rebellion.

Like, whenever I do group projects that require drawing and coloring, for example, I always have low-level kids try to whine their ways out of participation with statements like, "I hate art" or "I hate drawing." And what do I catch them doing later? Using the markers to draw fake tattoos on their arms while their group members are working on the poster or whatever.

And I'm all like, "Why aren't you helping?"

Them: Teacher, I hate art. Drawing, no.
Me: *points at arm* If you can draw on your arm, you can draw on some paper.
Them: *looks of confusion, turn to coT for help, she translates, realize they're idiots*
Them: .... headache?
Me: Nice try, get to work.

Every semester. xD

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5273 on: May 03, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Same here!

One of my 5ths hates drawing with a passion (I always have a drawing thing once a week) so he does it halfway and then gives up. 5 minutes later, he's on the board drawing a perfect T-51 power armor. Go figure.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5274 on: May 04, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! XD

And bring on the long weekend!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5275 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »
Found my middle school students manhandling a small salamander so I promptly confiscated it with the intent to release it in the local river area.

They've tried to get it back multiple times. Different students saying "It's my pet! I bought it!" or "I told the prinical that you took my pet away"  or "I found it in the teacher smoking area." I'm not inclined to believe them -_- They all ended up changing their story or giving up at some point though.
 I'm just gunna release it and hope an angry parent doesn't come breathing down my neck on Tuesday.  :undecided:

Oh well, happy Friday!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5276 on: May 05, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
Happy Saturday, I just accidentally dumped freshly boiled water all down the front of my body wearing Woolen sleep pants and socks
🙂🔫

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5277 on: May 05, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Happy Saturday, I just accidentally dumped freshly boiled water all down the front of my body wearing Woolen sleep pants and socks
🙂🔫
Wow. Feel better.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5278 on: May 06, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
Sat down and talked with one of my co-teachers over some tea. She asked me about classrooms in America, and started telling me how envious she was that parents back home stress good grades AND good behavior.

That said, I started wondering how the pay here for the average Korean teacher compares to the average American teacher. I know American teachers are waging protests these days for better pay, but she told me it's pretty bad here too.

Anyone know how it stacks up?

korean teachers actually get paid very well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teacher-salaries-by-country-2016-1/?IR=T

also bear in mind that those figures don't even include all the bonuses korean teachers get. 60% of their salary as a bonus for seolnal, and again for chuseok. they also get a performance-based bonus each year depending on whether they achieve a rank of S, A, or B, and it's impossible to get ranked as below B, so no matter how shitty their performance is they'll still get a bonus. Bonus for B rank for a younger teacher is around 1 million Won i think.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5279 on: May 07, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
Sat down and talked with one of my co-teachers over some tea. She asked me about classrooms in America, and started telling me how envious she was that parents back home stress good grades AND good behavior.

That said, I started wondering how the pay here for the average Korean teacher compares to the average American teacher. I know American teachers are waging protests these days for better pay, but she told me it's pretty bad here too.

Anyone know how it stacks up?

korean teachers actually get paid very well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teacher-salaries-by-country-2016-1/?IR=T

also bear in mind that those figures don't even include all the bonuses korean teachers get. 60% of their salary as a bonus for seolnal, and again for chuseok. they also get a performance-based bonus each year depending on whether they achieve a rank of S, A, or B, and it's impossible to get ranked as below B, so no matter how shitty their performance is they'll still get a bonus. Bonus for B rank for a younger teacher is around 1 million Won i think.

Yeah, not sure why some Koreans in the education office bitch about us being so "expensive".  They need to check their facts before they run off at the mouth spouting ignorance.