July 16, 2018, 06:55:32 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 730168 times)

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5260 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
The entire office is watching the meeting between Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae In, right now.  It's actually pretty interesting.  I wish my Korean was better so that I could ask my coworkers what they think about it all.

Online OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5261 on: April 27, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
I'm going to amuse myself on a quiet Friday but trying to imagine future posts by Bingsu.  For example:

Yesterday, as I rocked up to the school gate to head home, I got jumped by a couple of third graders (big for their age).  They stole my phone, some pocket money, and for some reason, one shoe.  When I came in the next day and complained to my co-teacher she responded that if I was a good teacher and really loved my students I would've given them those things without them having to forcibly take them.  Is this normal or am I just working at the wackiest school?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5262 on: April 27, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
When I got to school today, all the students where wearing casual clothes rather than their uniforms. That got my spirits up, because that usually means they're going on a field trip, which means no classes. Sadly, my spirits were dashed against the rocks when I was told that today is "Casual clothes day." Bummer.

Also, I think many of my students seem to have mistaken"casual clothes day" for "dress like an amorphous blob day." Are "casual clothes" and "amorphous blob" similar in Korean? I've never seen so many oversized shirts in my life, and that's saying something. I went to HS in the 90s, otherwise known as "the JNCO years."

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5263 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
I'm going to amuse myself on a quiet Friday but trying to imagine future posts by Bingsu.  For example:

Today, I rocked into the teachers room but as I slid the door open the buzzing conversation died down.  I took my seat, the teacher opposite me (I'm sure she hates me) looked away from me with a disgusted look.  Not sure what I did.  I turned on my computer and logged into NEIS, but needed a poo, so rocked off to the bogs.  I came back ten minutes later drying my hands with a tissue.  The 'disgusted' teacher and my MT were around my computer but ran away laughing.  When I looked they'd made a load of requests on NEIS waiting for the principal and VP to agree to for things like 9 - 9:10am 'Poo time', Friday 4:40-Monday 8:40 'Being Stoooopid Foreigner', and one for Year 2030 Monday 8:40am - 'Breaking Horses'.  When I glared at them they just giggled and turned away.  Is this normal?

Clearly annoyed I went to class.  I slid open the door and the 4th graders had turned the classroom into a brewery, with stills, making and bottling their own beer.  The room smelt of hops.  They're only 10 years old.  Is this normal?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5264 on: April 27, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Clearly annoyed I went to class.  I slid open the door and the 4th graders had turned the classroom into a brewery, with stills, making and bottling their own beer.  The room smelt of hops.  They're only 10 years old.  Is this normal?

Filthy casual. Stills go in a distillery, they don't make beer there. A brewery has fermentation tanks.

GTFO.  :police: :police: :police: :police:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5265 on: April 27, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
Speaking of taking a poo. I've just dropped off a massive sundae and upon grabbing the toilet paper I've felt it mush into my fingers. Looks like the kids cleaning the bathroom just blasted the hose off the floor, walls, toilet and apparently the toilet roll.  :cry:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5266 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »

Filthy casual. Stills go in a distillery, they don't make beer there. A brewery has fermentation tanks.

GTFO.  :police: :police: :police: :police:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh look, it's the 'Mackeoolllee Brewer'   :wink:

They're only ten years old!?!  :rolleyes: They don't know what they're doing!

Damn it!  Make sure to 'proof' check my brewing posts for the correct 'content'!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5267 on: April 27, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
Well now, if I didn't know any better I feel like I'd been made fun of.

Is that normal?

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5268 on: April 27, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
Well now, if I didn't know any better I feel like I'd been made fun of.

Is that normal?

Haha. Bravo.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5269 on: April 27, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
In all actuality the reason I ask if things are normal or not is because when it comes to most things foreigners think are odd they told us it's down to cultural difference.

And I'm not entirely stupid, only mostly, but I really do want to know if a lot of the things around here are as normal as they're being treated. All of the other teachers never even blink when things happen lol

And don't worry, I don't really take anything to Heart. I do ask off the wall and obvious things. Thanks for putting up with me 😂
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:23:08 PM by Bingsu »

Online OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5270 on: April 27, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
Being made fun of in good humour, only.  And, no.  What's been going on with your school is not normal.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5271 on: April 27, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
Yeah, you basically got placed in a really dysfunctional school. Take everything anyone says or does there with a lot of salt. There's probably a lot of weird shit going on behind closed doors, too.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5272 on: April 27, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
Imagine a united Korea. Do you think the North Koreans will be called waygookins behind their backs or even to their faces by the Versace handbag wielding South Korean house wives in Starbucks?

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5273 on: April 27, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »
Imagine a united Korea. Do you think the North Koreans will be called waygookins behind their backs or even to their faces by the Versace handbag wielding South Korean house wives in Starbucks?

I wonder, do you think they'd shrink away from the Americano on the menu?

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5274 on: April 30, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Bought an air purifier but had it shipped to my school since every time I get it shipped home they send it back. I must say, it's a LOT bigger than the picture online made it seem. Now I just gotta figure out how to carry it back...
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5275 on: April 30, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
Bought an air purifier but had it shipped to my school since every time I get it shipped home they send it back. I must say, it's a LOT bigger than the picture online made it seem. Now I just gotta figure out how to carry it back...

It was Peter Dinklage that was advertising it, right?

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5276 on: May 02, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Heard you're taking a pizza making course in Italy this summer.  :rolleyes:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5277 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
The admin lady in our teachers' room, on the other side of the room, has been sniffing every 20 seconds for the last three days.  Do you think I could sneak over and stuff some toilet roll up her nose?

Still continues to sniff every twenty seconds for over two weeks now.  Toilet roll maybe not work anymore, how about a swimming towel?

Still sniffing.

Almost two months.

I tried explaining to my co-t why I can't sit in the teachers' room most of the time, this sniffing was one reason.  The second being the 'teeth-sucking' after lunch.  Lunch time and 5th period are teachers' room no-go time. 

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5278 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »
One thing that's a mystery to me:

My main school, in a more metropolitan area, has a water fountain with cold and hot options, but the bathrooms only have cold water in the sinks. My second school, in the countryside, has a busted water fountain that hasn't been fixed since last semester, but the sinks in the bathroom have always had hot water. It's so backwards.

I don't understand why, and I don't suppose I ever will.
The World Ends With You

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5279 on: May 03, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
One thing that's a mystery to me:

My main school, in a more metropolitan area, has a water fountain with cold and hot options, but the bathrooms only have cold water in the sinks. My second school, in the countryside, has a busted water fountain that hasn't been fixed since last semester, but the sinks in the bathroom have always had hot water. It's so backwards.

I don't understand why, and I don't suppose I ever will.

Don't even get me started on the lack of hot water in most washrooms here. It's literally one of the dumbest things. School budgets may not be unlimited, but they are often very sizeable, and very poorly allocated. Not a single school I have worked in has had hot water in the bathrooms year round. Two had it in the winter, but would turn it off as soon as the risk of freezing was past.

But a lot of the time, especially in the winter, nobody will wash their hands because the water is too cold. And washing your hands in warm water is generally better than washing your hands in cold water.

But nobody washes their hands, anyways.

How did it come about that every classroom has a giant, modern TV, but the schoolboard never saw fit to outfit schools with hot water? There are literally wall-mounted electric hot water heaters that can be installed with very little in the way of new plumbing needed. Or, you're Korea - you're literally a rich, modern country. Install real hot water heaters.

And stop putting disgusting bar soap in the bathrooms of schools. Like, put a soap pump. And encourage people to practice basic hygiene. OH MY GOD SERIOUSLY wash your hands people.