November 13, 2018, 07:09:37 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807780 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5260 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »

Also, anyone watch the new Han Solo film? Who dafuq is Kira supposed to be again?

Was that Khaleesi? It was very hard to care about or even remember that character. I was not impressed by that film at all. I didn't like Last Jedi, but it at least had moments that make it worth remembering.

Was that her name? I just kept hearing "Kira" or however it's supposed to be spelled. But yeah, Solo's love interest.

I mean. I liked Chewbacca. xD But I'm pretty much on board with you. I felt like everything was made to seem like it was more "larger than life" than it all actually was, and I found the movie flat and boring in general. My main beef was how everyone just kind of went along with everything so easily, and stuff that was being presented as "unpredictable" and "clever" really wasn't all that anything. I think they were trying too hard to introduce too many characters into a single storyline, and fell short on the actual characterizations as a result. That's what did it for me.

But I get why everyone else like it so much. I was just afraid I was the only real hater or whatever.

I was referring to her role in Game of Thrones  :laugh: Yeah, I find it hard to believe that some people even find it a "fun" film. I agree with much of what you said. That and the fact that Han didn't even feel that important as a character in this compared to Lando. Even the droid had more character than him. Though I will say...

*SPOILERS*

The scene where they showed Darth Maul was the only moment in the movie that I actually perked up, but even that was disappointing when you think back to how amazing Vader was in Rogue One's ending.
The World Ends With You

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5261 on: May 31, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
The cinematography was awful. It was so dark and lifeless. Dark movies can be good, but they still need to have some life to them.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5262 on: May 31, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Also, to answer waygook.org user Chinguetti's question: Do you mean who is the actress who played Qi'ra, or who was she in the story?

The former: she's the woman who plays Daenarys in Game of Thrones. And the latter: she's Han's girlfriend from the first scene.

I meant the latter, but as in what part she may have played in previous films (if at all). They presented her as if she's some kind of returning character in the future, and so I assume she's maybe a key person that has either appeared in previous Star Wars films (just downplayed), or one that hasn't been intro'd before now but is somehow connected in a really big way. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something in case of the former bolded.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:25:37 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5263 on: May 31, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »
Best war movies:

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket (the first part, anyway)
The Dirty Dozen
The Caine Mutiny (maybe not technically a war movie)
The Longest Day
Patton
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5264 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
It's been pretty lukewarm at the box office and has been mostly panned by the critics if it makes you feel any better, Chinguetti~

Really? Everyone I've talked to have all been jazzed over it.

I think they're all just geeking out over it, personally, because, as #basedcowboy has pointed out, a lot of the banter and dialogue reads like the older films, so it gives the movie more of that nostalgic feel without relying on throwbacks.

But while the direction and editing was cleaner than the other newer films, I felt like the execution of the plot was sloppy, which is bad because it was so ****** simple, and how do you **** that up? Because they did. The focus was all on the character interactions and not-so-much on the story itself. It was all just fun shenanigans with Solo and his crew, and let's just plug and chug them wherever so that we can give the audience a, "Ohhhh, so that's how THAT happened."

Can't we have a good balance of all of the above?

Anyway, I liked Beckett. So at least it has that.

And **** Lando, guys. I mean it. **** him.

Offline keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5265 on: May 31, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »
It's been pretty lukewarm at the box office and has been mostly panned by the critics if it makes you feel any better, Chinguetti~

Really? Everyone I've talked to have all been jazzed over it.

I think they're all just geeking out over it, personally, because, as #basedcowboy has pointed out, a lot of the banter and dialogue reads like the older films, so it gives the movie more of that nostalgic feel without relying on throwbacks.

But while the direction and editing was cleaner than the other newer films, I felt like the execution of the plot was sloppy, which is bad because it was so ****** simple, and how do you **** that up? Because they did. The focus was all on the character interactions and not-so-much on the story itself. It was all just fun shenanigans with Solo and his crew, and let's just plug and chug them wherever so that we can give the audience a, "Ohhhh, so that's how THAT happened."

Can't we have a good balance of all of the above?

And **** Lando, guys. I mean it. **** him.

Yeah, I'm a huge Star Wars fan but the pacing of this movie was just...meh. I didn't get over excited for any part of the movie besides that big character reveal at the end.

I do think however, that this film helps clarify some things from the original trilogy... like how in Empire Strikes Back  Lando was so willing to give up his "friends" to the Empire. Well turns out they aren't really good friends and Lando is bitter about the Falcon. 

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5266 on: May 31, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Unrelated but two of the best actors of all time together in a movie. The movie is good, but their acting is just......... the best.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline vicarious

• Veteran
« Reply #5267 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
The cinematography was awful. It was so dark and lifeless. Dark movies can be good, but they still need to have some life to them.

At least it wasn't as bad as Rogue One. Or any DC movie ever.

I thought Rogue One was easily the 4th best Star Wars film so far, after the original trilogy.  What didn't you like about it?

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #5268 on: June 01, 2018, 03:00:42 AM »

At least it wasn't as bad as Rogue One. Or any DC movie ever.

I thought Rogue One was easily the 4th best Star Wars film so far, after the original trilogy.  What didn't you like about it?

Everyone says Rogue One was good, but it's the only Star Wars movie I haven't watched...
In what ways is the movie better than others? I have already been spoiled about everyone dying in the film, so no need to worry about spoiling the movie while explaining.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5269 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »
Realized today that I look forward to the beginning of each new semester because I love obliterating the hopes of students who think they can **** around in my class. I have to reinforce this concept throughout the year with certain students, but those crestfallen pouts are just the best when they're coming from some new but misguided sense of power and I get to strip that away from them.

This past week has been eye-opening. I feel like some kind of god of mayhem. I have been restored.

And I'm going hiking this weekend, pollution withstanding. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:22:38 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5270 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Realized today that I look forward to the beginning of each new semester because I love obliterating the hopes of students who think they can **** around in my class. I have to reinforce this concept throughout the year with certain students, but those crestfallen pouts are just the best when they're coming from some new but misguided sense of power and I get to strip that away from them.

I could use some class management lessons from you. Things are usually fine with the exception of one or two students that do whatever they please. They don't listen to me when I tell them to stop, and my co-teachers pretty much don't do anything (except punish them for the wrong reasons). Even today I'll have class with a pair of students who are "notorious" for being disruptive and rude. Funny how far these things go with no consequences.
The World Ends With You

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5271 on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »

I could use some class management lessons from you. Things are usually fine with the exception of one or two students that do whatever they please. They don't listen to me when I tell them to stop, and my co-teachers pretty much don't do anything (except punish them for the wrong reasons). Even today I'll have class with a pair of students who are "notorious" for being disruptive and rude. Funny how far these things go with no consequences.
you could start by punishing the whole class for their behaviour. they'll start to police themselves. i'm usually quite calm in class, but once in a while i'll raise my voice and scare the shit out of a kid who's being bad. the class remembers and so nobody wants to get caught on my 'bad side', so they'll usually behave for the foreseeable future

failing that, for absolute nightmare kids, i pull the desk to the front of class, so the student is facing the wall where they'll sit in silence, and i'll bollock them in they try to turn around and distract the other kids. and they'll stay like this for however many classes it takes for them to behave.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5272 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »

I learned early on that you've got to be ruthless with them and be willing to punish the entire class for the misbehavior of just one or two. You've got to instill a sense of authority over them from day 1. Rules need to be dictated, explained, and 100% enforced -- the only variance you should have is in the degree of the consequences, but there should always be a consequence. If you do A, then B WILL happen. I don't waste time arguing with them (although, if the case warrants it, I will have one-on-one talks with certain students outside of the classroom). My approach is a little different for younger students (I ask them to point out the rule that they broke if they want to argue because sometimes their young minds fail to focus on that and need a little direction) vs. older students, but it's all still pretty much the same.

My teacher persona is also modeled after Christopher Walken. I go from friendly/nice/fun to quiet/scary/threatening and back to friendly/nice/fun on a dime. Super effective. Because it's absolutely important for them to know that you're not happy with them BUT that you're still in control -- they didn't get the best of you. Instead, they need to know that they made a HUGE mistake. You're not a toy that they can kick around. You're a hornet's nest, and they're going to get what's coming to them if they try to play with you. Everything's got to be on your terms. This is especially important for older students who try to get their "jollies" out of upsetting the teachers. Never get red-hot in front of them... it's always got to be a slow and controlled burn, with the charge leading right up to the student.

You've also got to show them that you're willing to investigate all of their claims, lol. And for especially problematic situations/students/schools, recording is your best friend.

Anyway, long-story-short, it comes down to attitude and persona. You need to do what you need to do for the students to see you as an authority figure, not a clown. Some schools make this hard for NETs, so you've also got to learn to be creative.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5273 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »

Anyway, long-story-short, it comes down to attitude and persona. You need to do what you need to do for the students to see you as an authority figure, not a clown. Some schools make this hard for NETs, so you've also got to learn to be creative.

Sounds like I might be better off waiting until I'm moved to a new school next year then. I don't wanna just give up on my current students, but I don't know how well starting new rules with familiar faces will be next semester. They've already been around me for almost a year now, so most of them know what to expect. I tried being the nice, understanding teacher, but it quickly became clear that that gets you nowhere.
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5274 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Biggest analysis to date reveals huge footprint of livestock - it provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland

Avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet, according to the scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet.

The new research shows that without meat and dairy consumption, global farmland use could be reduced by more than 75% – an area equivalent to the US, China, European Union and Australia combined – and still feed the world. Loss of wild areas to agriculture is the leading cause of the current mass extinction of wildlife.

The new analysis shows that while meat and dairy provide just 18% of calories and 37% of protein, it uses the vast majority – 83% – of farmland and produces 60% of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions. Other recent research shows 86% of all land mammals are now livestock or humans. The scientists also found that even the very lowest impact meat and dairy products still cause much more environmental harm than the least sustainable vegetable and cereal growing.

The study, published in the journal Science, created a huge dataset based on almost 40,000 farms in 119 countries and covering 40 food products that represent 90% of all that is eaten. It assessed the full impact of these foods, from farm to fork, on land use, climate change emissions, freshwater use and water pollution (eutrophication) and air pollution (acidification).

“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use,” said Joseph Poore, at the University of Oxford, UK, who led the research. “It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car,” he said, as these only cut greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth#comments

Interesting stuff  :azn:

Counterpoint:

How much of the remaining 82% of calories are nutritionally vacant?

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5275 on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »

This past week has been eye-opening. I feel like some kind of god of mayhem. I have been restored.

And I'm going hiking this weekend, pollution withstanding.

I seriously love your posts, Chinguetti. You are like my patch that I use to deal with the lost of DrGenderPotato.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5276 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
The bond between a mother and her children is a wondrous thing. It feels like every time my spirits start to lift even a little, my mother senses it from thousands of miles away and sends me an email about how everything back home has gone to sh!t. Isn't nature miraculous?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5277 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »

I learned early on that you've got to be ruthless with them and be willing to punish the entire class for the misbehavior of just one or two. You've got to instill a sense of authority over them from day 1. Rules need to be dictated, explained, and 100% enforced -- the only variance you should have is in the degree of the consequences, but there should always be a consequence. If you do A, then B WILL happen. I don't waste time arguing with them (although, if the case warrants it, I will have one-on-one talks with certain students outside of the classroom). My approach is a little different for younger students (I ask them to point out the rule that they broke if they want to argue because sometimes their young minds fail to focus on that and need a little direction) vs. older students, but it's all still pretty much the same.

My teacher persona is also modeled after Christopher Walken. I go from friendly/nice/fun to quiet/scary/threatening and back to friendly/nice/fun on a dime. Super effective. Because it's absolutely important for them to know that you're not happy with them BUT that you're still in control -- they didn't get the best of you. Instead, they need to know that they made a HUGE mistake. You're not a toy that they can kick around. You're a hornet's nest, and they're going to get what's coming to them if they try to play with you. Everything's got to be on your terms. This is especially important for older students who try to get their "jollies" out of upsetting the teachers. Never get red-hot in front of them... it's always got to be a slow and controlled burn, with the charge leading right up to the student.

You've also got to show them that you're willing to investigate all of their claims, lol. And for especially problematic situations/students/schools, recording is your best friend.

You sound like you're on exactly the same page as me. One of the most frustrating things is when Korean teachers (or any teacher, really) punish students arbitrarily. Like, one kid doing something gets away with it, another doesn't. Or one day it's okay, the other it isn't. I'm taught with so many people like this, and it's really irritating.

The biggest problem I find for punishing or managing students is how to fairly treat students with legitimate behavioural problems or learning disabilities that don't have the same grasp of cause and consequence as neurotypical students do. Some students, through no fault of their own, simply may not have the capacity to grasp 'don't do X or Y will happen' and I feel unfair having the same threshold of consequences for them as I may for other more typical students who are just acting up and being jerks. And then it's difficult because normal students likely won't understand that the other student is a little bit of a special case, or they will and they'll ignore that, and cry 'unfair!'

But, for the most part it's pretty doable to apply the same standard to 95% of students, and with practice it makes your life a lot easier.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5278 on: June 01, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Talk about timing. Those students were placed in some sort of Nursing program/class/??? (My CT wasn't clear with the details) during my class today. This is actually one of the most logical things I've seen here by far. Take the students who don't care whatsoever and put them in another class. It's so genius I can't believe it really happened! Now whether or not it's permanent is another thing...
The World Ends With You

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5279 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10:25 AM »
I seriously love your posts, Chinguetti. You are like my patch that I use to deal with the lost of DrGenderPotato.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know a patch is nothing like the real thing, but I'm glad it helps.