November 13, 2018, 02:04:11 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807588 times)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5200 on: May 24, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

It was an actual bee, not a wasp, but it was still a big sucker.

Donovan, this is your big chance, bud.  Start small, with the bee, and then work your way up, size-wise, through the creatures that get released into the classroom and get them to resist reaction.  It'll be great training for them. Bee, pigeon, crab, lemur, dingo, pony, ox, camel, Badoon, cave troll, mumakil, and then finally on the last day of term Thanos.  Piece of piss.

What about a dragon? Before, or after, Thanos? :P

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5201 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:24 AM »
A bee made it in to my last classroom and the kids didn't completely freak out :shocked:

It was an actual bee, not a wasp, but it was still a big sucker.

About 2 weeks or so ago, a bee flew into my classroom at my travel school too. I was the only one who noticed it. I told the students to check it out. And they didn't understand what I was pointing at, until it started moving / flying again, and the 2 girls screamed haha. The 1 boy (there is only 3 students in the class), looked a little scared.
I said "I'll get rid of it the only way I know how." I gave one of the girls a pencil, and said: "You'll have to fight the bee in honorable combat!" (Used a translator so they'd understand), then the whole class was laughing.
During that time, it just flew back out the window haha.

Nice, as a new parent I'm just now coming to appreciate the art of distraction. (Wasn't that the name of Trump's first book?)

Well played~

Thanks! About the book, I'm not sure.
TBH, the bee situation, I was just trying to be funny. The students in that class are extremely shy. It's very difficult to get them to talk. So moments like those, I feel do wonders in helping them get comfortable with English :D

donovan

« Reply #5202 on: May 24, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
Being funny helps!

I know I use games and other materials merely as a something to hang my radiant personality upon, which is where the real teaching happens :wink:

It's those little moments that really put you in good standing with the kids (and their parents, if they go home and tell their parent's how much they enjoyed something you did or said).

If you want to get in good with the boys, just yell out "Jooooohn Cenaaa!" every one in a while 8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:23:10 AM by donovan »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5203 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:52 PM »
Being funny helps!

I know I use games and other materials merely as a something to hang my radiant personality upon, which is where the real teaching happens :wink:

It's those little moments that really put you in good standing with the kids (and their parents, if they go home and tell their parent's how much they enjoyed something you did or said).

If you want to get in good with the boys, just yell out "Jooooohn Cenaaa!" every one in a while 8)

I agree. Sadly, my co-teachers this year are mostly older teachers that HATE game based learning.
Games are something I'm not allowed to do in my classes. Though, 1 co-teacher usually walks out at the 20min mark, so I usually switch over to games once he leaves.
At this school we have a rule for our games: The loser has to buy the winner a pizza.
Last week, the low level grade 1 girl, cleaned me out, I lost twice, she won twice, so I owe her 2 pizza's. :P
The students love this rule, even though they know it is just a joke rule. But they love to be the one to kind of, lord it over the loser, especially when that loser is me haha.

I have really small class sizes, so I usually join in on the games too, and the students enjoy it when I'm playing with them :D

donovan

« Reply #5204 on: May 24, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
The woman who likes to tell me I look tired whenever she sees me switched it up today:

:-* Your face looks red.

:undecided: Bows and says 'thank you.'

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5205 on: May 25, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »
Cousin Janet is literally the worst. I'm watching Magic School Bus Goes to Space in class and she is constantly ruining things.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5206 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
I'm from Tampa, Florida, and every year we have the Gasparilla parade where people dress as pirates and smoke and drink themselves to death.

That being said, I've seen more eye-patches here in Korea these past 9 months than I have in my entire life in Tampa.
The World Ends With You

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5207 on: May 25, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
"Zebra crossings? Oh, you mean those little parking lots on every corner?"  - Koreans, apparently.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5208 on: May 25, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
Nothing reminds you of the passage of time like a high school student happily reminding you that you taught them at elementary school.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5209 on: May 25, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Really glad it's Friday, but this weekend isn't really my own, so I'm feeling a little bittersweet about it. I'm hoping to squeeze in at least a little R&R, but I think I'm gonna end up tired and grouchy on Monday.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5210 on: May 25, 2018, 12:17:49 PM »
Nothing reminds you of the passage of time like a high school student happily reminding you that you taught them at elementary school.

;D

I walked past and was greeted by one of my former elementary students in Lotte Mart last week,  who is now doing his military service. 

:huh:

I know! A couple of years ago I saw one (from when I taught her in middle school), and I asked about their current school. They said they will graduate soon... From university. Time is flying on by~

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5211 on: May 25, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
Even though I'm in my 30s and my teens seem like a lifetime ago, I'm considering buying a skateboard and doing some city night sessions, like I did as a teen back home.

I'm sure I can still do a kickflip, at least.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5212 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »

;D

I walked past and was greeted by one of my former elementary students in Lotte Mart last week,  who is now doing his military service. 

I know! A couple of years ago I saw one (from when I taught her in middle school), and I asked about their current school. They said they will graduate soon... From university. Time is flying on by~

Today is my eldest daughter's (my age divided by 2) birthday.
Daughter #2 is applying to grad school.

donovan

« Reply #5213 on: May 25, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »

;D

Today is my eldest daughter's (my age divided by 2) birthday.
Daughter #2 is applying to grad school.

Hopefully you didn't have to learn this by bumping in to her on the subway :afro:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5214 on: May 25, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »
Saw this in this Buzzfeed article list:

Anyone know what coffee shop this is/was?

donovan

« Reply #5215 on: May 25, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
perhaps this one in Jeju...
https://blog.naver.com/ey6202/221267639835
https://store.naver.com/restaurants/detail?id=36624192
http://naver.me/50AdTiiM

This is further proof that Z is slowly taking over the spot of J in the Korea psyche. There was a now defunct coffee shop in my area with the name COFFEE HANZAN.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5216 on: May 25, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »
Saw this in this Buzzfeed article list:

Anyone know what coffee shop this is/was?

조아찌, just west of Jeju-Si

제주특별자치도 제주시 테우해안로 160
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5217 on: May 25, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
That's a long ways out for coffee, even if it's tastefully snarky.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5218 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
That coffee shop just copied a French cafe that did basically the same thing. Koreans don't tend to have original ideas.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5219 on: May 26, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »

I have a feeling this is gonna start an argument but:

I don't think teachers should have to teach kids basic skills and manners. They should get that from their parents, "home training" is what we called it when I was in elementary school.

what do you guys think