October 24, 2018, 12:02:41 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 791892 times)

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5080 on: April 18, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
DeMartino, fighting racist attitudes and summing up with a racist flourish of his own:

You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Bad accent?  That's not too tolerant or accepting. Strong accent, I get. Distinctive? Sure. But bad? That's a pretty harsh and derogatory comment to direct towards a lot of Pakistanis.  I'm not sure why it's ok to make a sweeping negative stereotype, but no doubt you'll tell me.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5081 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Cheers for the laughs Martin.  :wink:

You kind of have to post it now, seriously, that is the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead. I don't give a crap.

Avec PMs me out of the blue with some one-liner insult. Fired back with a few sentences as well as a few emojis. Whatever. All in good fun. Then she PMs me again. I'm a loser and blah blah blah. Kids stuff.

Anyways, Avec what happened to your thread where you apologized to everyone? Did you forget the night that caused you to write that already? Antibiotics working so you're good to go out and party again? Come on, go all the way to Step 12. Remember that we deal with alcohol- cunning, baffling, powerful.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5082 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to expect immigrants to speak your language perfectly? How arrogant do you have to be to shrug off someone's attempts at communication with you because they have a "bad accent?"

Absolutely nobody here is saying they speak perfect, unaccented Korean, because that would be an absurd claim. They're just frustrated that, despite trying, they're still often met with blank stares or derision. They're frustrated that they aren't understood because they have an accent, despite it being perfectly normal for a foreigner to speak a new language with an accent.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5083 on: April 18, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
DeMartino, fighting racist attitudes and summing up with a racist flourish of his own:

You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Bad accent?  That's not too tolerant or accepting. Strong accent, I get. Distinctive? Sure. But bad? That's a pretty harsh and derogatory comment to direct towards a lot of Pakistanis.  I'm not sure why it's ok to make a sweeping negative stereotype, but no doubt you'll tell me.

You are 100% correct. And now to change that. And my apologies. That was a rude and insensitive way to describe things.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5084 on: April 18, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a bad accent? Guess what? That's you.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to expect immigrants to speak your language perfectly? How arrogant do you have to be to shrug off someone's attempts at communication with you because they have a "bad accent?"

Absolutely nobody here is saying they speak perfect, unaccented Korean, because that would be an absurd claim. They're just frustrated that, despite trying, they're still often met with blank stares or derision. They're frustrated that they aren't understood because they have an accent, despite it being perfectly normal for a foreigner to speak a new language with an accent.
There might be a few idiots who expect perfection but most don't. Anyways, the point is that this is part of the immigrant experience. People are going to get frustrated. Some might nervously laugh.

Maybe they aren't understood because the person can't understand them.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5085 on: April 18, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
I usually dress professionally.  However, today I threw on a pair of jeans, t-shirt with a graphic, and a cardigan sweater.  Students seldom comment on my clothes.  However, today I got compliments from every class.  Maybe I should go more casual.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5086 on: April 18, 2018, 02:24:46 PM »
I usually dress professionally.  However, today I threw on a pair of jeans, t-shirt with a graphic, and a cardigan sweater.  Students seldom comment on my clothes.  However, today I got compliments from every class.  Maybe I should go more casual.

Working Adults or Elementary/Junior/High/College students?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5087 on: April 18, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »

That's when you know you've taught your students for too long and they see how you dress everyday, when you buy a new jumper or trousers and they're straight onto it.  In fact, it's the first thing they say. 

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5088 on: April 18, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
Sorry guys. It's against my morals and ethics to share personal messages.

I can tell you that I said he was a corporate shill for the Republic of Samsung and he replied with his typical banter.

All harmless fun.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5089 on: April 18, 2018, 02:29:10 PM »

Yeah - dress in whatever's comfortable for you. It's fun to switch it up once in a while. Whenever I wear a fun t-shirt or something, kids usually love it. And whenever I dress slightly more up than usual, they love it, too.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5090 on: April 18, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Avec PMs me out of the blue with some one-liner insult. Fired back with a few sentences as well as a few emojis. Whatever. All in good fun. Then she PMs me again. I'm a loser and blah blah blah. Kids stuff.

Anyways, Avec what happened to your thread where you apologized to everyone? Did you forget the night that caused you to write that already? Antibiotics working so you're good to go out and party again? Come on, go all the way to Step 12. Remember that we deal with alcohol- cunning, baffling, powerful.

I've not had a drink in 7 nearly years. That was just banter amigo. Maybe go back to it and reread it.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5091 on: April 18, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »

Yeah - dress in whatever's comfortable for you. It's fun to switch it up once in a while. Whenever I wear a fun t-shirt or something, kids usually love it. And whenever I dress slightly more up than usual, they love it, too.

If you work at an elementary school then defo casual it up.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5092 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »

Working Adults or Elementary/Junior/High/College students?
These were middle school students.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5093 on: April 18, 2018, 02:37:16 PM »

I've not had a drink in 7 nearly years. That was just banter amigo. Maybe go back to it and reread it.

Well cashing in a 7 year chip and going straight to step 5 does make sense. The wagon ride always has bumps.

Anyways, amigo? We're chingus now? Ole! Party on waygook.org! Tequila shots for everyone! And a Shirley Temple for mi amgia Papas Fritas!

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5094 on: April 18, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »

Well cashing in a 7 year chip and going straight to step 5 does make sense. The wagon ride always has bumps.

Anyways, amigo? We're chingus now? Ole! Party on waygook.org! Tequila shots for everyone! And a Shirley Temple for mi amgia Papas Fritas!

Damn right man. Love the banter. Makes the clock go that little bit faster.  :wink:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5095 on: April 18, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »

There might be a few idiots who expect perfection but most don't. Anyways, the point is that this is part of the immigrant experience. People are going to get frustrated. Some might nervously laugh.

Maybe they aren't understood because the person can't understand them.

I think what people are getting at is that perhaps it isn't part of some overarching "Immigrant Experience" that all immigrants everywhere face.

Yes, learning a new language is difficult, and most adult learners will never be able to speak perfect, unaccented new languages. The point being argued here is that, compared to other nationalities/languages, Koreans seem to be either less willing or less able to communicate with non-native speakers. (They aren't alone in having such a stereotype, if what people say about the French is true . :laugh:)

I can't speak for everyone here complaining about it, of course, but my experience with trying to use different languages with native speakers seems to corroborate the idea. I was an Arabic linguist in the Navy, so I can at very least say I didn't have similar problems with Arabic speakers I met from Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Bahrain, or the UAE (though I did meet one dickhead from Sudan who gave me shit for making mistakes, haha). I didn't get blank stares or giggles at the Syrian restaurant in Manama, or the Egyptian hooka bar in Dubai. I also made the unfortunate decision to study and get my degree in Spanish (now there's a useful degree!), and again, I didn't have any trouble trying to communicate with native-speakers from a number of different countries.

Compared to Spanish and Arabic speakers, though, I've had a much higher percentage of attempted interactions in Korean go south. That's not to say it always goes poorly, or even that it usually does. Many Koreans are wonderfully helpful, and often super stoked that we're even trying. It's just that, compared to my interactions with speakers of other languages in and from other countries, they're more likely to just give a blank stare, be dismissive, or flat out laugh at me.

Of course, Spanish speakers are probably much more likely to have heard their fair share of Spanish being butchered than Koreans in similar situation. To his credit, Basedcowboy did  point that out as a possible reason, and I'm inclined to believe him. I suspect that as more immigrants come to Korea and non-natives trying to speak Korean become less of a novelty, this frustration will become a bit less prominent. However, that doesn't make it any less frustrating for people now, nor does it lessen their experience any.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:44:57 PM by Mister Tim »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5096 on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
Damn right man. Love the banter. Makes the clock go that little bit faster.  :wink:

Wicked Wednesday is just 1:15 away.  :smiley:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5097 on: April 18, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »

I got a PM, too.  :shocked:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5098 on: April 18, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »

Then you are very special.  :-*

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5099 on: April 18, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »

Then you are very special.  :-*

:blank: