September 26, 2018, 03:38:27 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772396 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5060 on: April 17, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
I've noticed that whenever I try speaking to people in my school in Korean I always get the reaction of like...
"What? Huh? *laughter* What?"

I actually stopped trying to speak and just show them google translate on my phone because that was always the reaction and I felt like I was completely wrong when speaking. But I'd look it up and practice 20 times on my walk to school and say "The weather is good today!" or "Where is the library?" but every reaction was just "what? what?" and I'd get embarrassed and say forget it.

Is it a common occurrence for everyone or are people just shocked/unwilling to communicate?

That's why I don't even bother trying to speak most of the time. In my Korean classes, I'm told I have good pronunciation (far beyond my classmates at that), but any time I want to try using my words outside of class I get the same reactions. It's funny because people are super curious as to if you are learning/know any Korean, but are (often, not always) no help when you try. It's easier to play the dumb foreigner in every case rather than try to communicate in a one-sided conversation

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5061 on: April 17, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »
Does it bother you that people are frustrated by this, Basedcowboy? Do you think it's unreasonable for someone to be upset under these circumstances? I can't quite figure out why you feel the need to repeatedly come to bat for Koreans in this case.

People aren't saying "I have perfect Korean and they don't understand me! Wah!" They recognize and admit to being beginners, and are frustrated that, paltry though their efforts may be, they're consistently stonewalled just for trying. Sure, things might get better as their skills improve, but that doesn't make it any less irritating for them now.

It's cool that you don't take the apologist schtick anywhere near as far as Mr. D does, but even taking the low-key apologist route doesn't make too much sense in cases like this.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5062 on: April 17, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
Does it bother you that people are frustrated by this, Basedcowboy? Do you think it's unreasonable for someone to be upset under these circumstances? I can't quite figure out why you feel the need to repeatedly come to bat for Koreans in this case.

People aren't saying "I have perfect Korean and they don't understand me! Wah!" They recognize and admit to being beginners, and are frustrated that, paltry though their efforts may be, they're consistently stonewalled just for trying. Sure, things might get better as their skills improve, but that doesn't make it any less irritating for them now.

It's cool that you don't take the apologist schtick anywhere near as far as Mr. D does, but even taking the low-key apologist route doesn't make too much sense in cases like this.

Waygook.org user Mister Tim, I think you missed the part where I empathized with these people voicing their frustrations by saying,

When I first came here, I experienced all the same things. I had restaurants wave me out, taxis refuse to take me, coworkers giggle when I talked, etc etc. It's dumb and annoying.

These exact same situations literally happened to me, and, as I said, they were, quote, "dumb and annoying."

But, rather than just sympathize with their frustrations, I also wanted to share a different perspective from someone who has been here a little bit longer than they have, and also explain certain aspects, such as why it's so novel to hear someone speaking Korean as a second language and why it's so commonly misunderstood when people are first learning. And also that it's not endemic to all people speaking Korean. There are literally reasons for why people may be giggling or having difficulty understanding, and it's an oversimplification to just say 'haha because Korea.'

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5063 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »
In my first year here, I attempted to start learning Korean, and any small mistake in my first few attempts resulted with anger from co-workers, and people in a language exchange group. I 'noped' outta giving it a try for the rest of the year. This second year, my co-workers are more chill, and try to teach me just 1 Korean word a week. Even if I say it wrong, pronunciation wise, they usually know what I'm trying to say though. :D

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5064 on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Am I the only one who is not misunderstood? I think growing up learning French immersion from the age of 5 gave me an edge, in the sense that making different sounds with my mouth isn't really that taxing.

I can't speak for anyone here, I don't know you, nor have I heard you speak, but some people I go out with, my lord, just awful.

You know when I joke around and write Korean in the English alphabet and absolutely butcher it? Some of my friends sound like this and it's................... so cringey.

I don't care and I'm not judging them like they're idiots, but expect locals to understand them? No way.

:afro: Sadayng yawk gajuh sayyo (사데잉 역 가쯔 세이요)

I've had people say Sindorim pronounced like Pandorum and the sin part like, well, the biblical term. And then they get flustered and say it louder.

The dude is 60. He doesn't know sadyang or Sindorum. Hahahahaha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5065 on: April 17, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
Every time I see an old person feeding pigeons I wonder if it's tuppence a bag.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5066 on: April 17, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »

These exact same situations literally happened to me, and, as I said, they were, quote, "dumb and annoying."

But, rather than just sympathize with their frustrations, I also wanted to share a different perspective from someone who has been here a little bit longer than they have, and also explain certain aspects, such as why it's so novel to hear someone speaking Korean as a second language and why it's so commonly misunderstood when people are first learning. And also that it's not endemic to all people speaking Korean. There are literally reasons for why people may be giggling or having difficulty understanding, and it's an oversimplification to just say 'haha because Korea.'

I dunno. It seems like you're "offering a different perspective" in the same way Mr. D does when he counters things people say in other threads. Maybe I'm reading more condescension than you're intending. Maybe I'm letting my annoyance at the tired "waygook user so-and-so" nonsense color my perceptions of your posts too much.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5067 on: April 17, 2018, 02:10:23 PM »
Every time I see an old person feeding pigeons I wonder if it's tuppence a bag.

It's a comeuppance bag.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5068 on: April 17, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

:afro: Sadayng yawk gajuh sayyo (사데잉 역 가쯔 세이요)

I almost had a stroke just trying to read that English alone
The World Ends With You

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #5069 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:27 AM »
I've noticed that whenever I try speaking to people in my school in Korean I always get the reaction of like...
"What? Huh? *laughter* What?"

I actually stopped trying to speak and just show them google translate on my phone because that was always the reaction and I felt like I was completely wrong when speaking. But I'd look it up and practice 20 times on my walk to school and say "The weather is good today!" or "Where is the library?" but every reaction was just "what? what?" and I'd get embarrassed and say forget it.

Is it a common occurrence for everyone or are people just shocked/unwilling to communicate?

something similar happened to my yesterday. i was leaving the gym and i saw this older man (mid 40's i would guess) walking into the gym. we have seen each other inside the gym many times. i am only foreigner that goes to this place. there are NO OTHER shops or restaurants inside this building yet. my gym is on the 7th floor and every other floor of the building is completely empty.  the gym is the ONLY business open inside this building. if you are going into or out of this building, it's because you belong to this gym.

as i'm walking out and he's walking in, i hold the door for him and greet him in korean. he stands there and stares. we are both in the doorway with me holding the door open awkwardly. i ask him in korean if he's going to the gym. he stands there and doesn't answer but continues to just stare at me. i could tell he was a bit shocked that a stranger (and foreigner) for that matter was trying to make small talk with him. what got me frustrated was i was speaking korean...how/why could this dude not just hit me with an anyong and be on his way. he just completely froze and stood there. keep in mind, this wasn't some rice farmer that has lived out in the sticks his whole life that has never had convo with a foreigner, this is a businessman in a suit carrying a briefcase. it was so awkward i just said something like, allllright then and walked out of the doorway while he was still standing there.

here's my thing...read the situation and BE A HUMAN. smile, give a wave or a nod, and keep it moving.

Here's a little perspective for you:

How do you feel when someone comes up to you and starts an unsolicited conversation for no reason other than they want to practice their English and they think it's novel to talk to a foreigner?

Now, how do you think that guy felt when he was just going to the gym, and some random person starts talking to him and making small talk just because?

Probably about the same.

basedcowboyshirt - come on man. there's a difference between trying to exchange simple pleasantries and getting stared at like an alien and somebody trying to squeeze an english lesson out of you as you wait at a bus stop.

and here's a little perspective for you - it looks like we've both been in korea for around the same amount of time, so chill with trying to explain to me how i should feel or giving me your advice like i'm some kid that just landed at incheon. congrats bro - you have 8000 posts so you must be a better foreigner than me.

1) if you reply to this, please do that thing where you start with "waygook.org user ID identification tag" apancoe because that's necessary.

2) make sure to mention how sugar is LITERALLY poison ( it's AWESOME how you crash the discussion every time somebody mentions cake or ice cream with your shtick)

3) do that thing where you type a sentence like you're so smart and you're trying to explain something very slowly to somebody. Do....Do you understand what i mean?

and

4) don't forget to drop some dumb quote from LIL B that makes you look soooo #RanDOm & #EDGY
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5070 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
I don't think the guy understands how condescending he (basedcowboyshirt) comes across. Or he does and he's just a bit of a knob.

His thing has always been "I just don't understand how ___________ is difficult for you. I've never experienced that. Are you sure that happened to you, because um...ah...like that doesn't sound true at all." Nails on a chalkboard.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline orange6ur1

• Adventurer
« Reply #5071 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

I dunno. It seems like you're "offering a different perspective" in the same way Mr. D does when he counters things people say in other threads. Maybe I'm reading more condescension than you're intending. Maybe I'm letting my annoyance at the tired "waygook user so-and-so" nonsense color my perceptions of your posts too much.

I don't mean to keep dragging this out by any means but I understand both view points.

On one hand, I want to tell every non-native to "GET OVER IT BOYYYYYyy" ...butttttttt on the other hand, I'd be lying if I didn't experience the same frustrations/annoyances/irks and just wanted someone to agree with me that everyone is a rude doofus  :P

I mean I guess in the beginning it IS hard and sometimes I want to write "the guide to mentally surviving in Korea" lol. BUT it kinda gets better over time because you learn to know when to care/vent and when to just drop it and move on and live the best life you can   :laugh:

I wish i could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and we could all eat it and be happy........................plz no one kill me for saying that... :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5072 on: April 18, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5073 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »
Vegemite on toast gets deconstructed – and the internet is not happy
Guardian taste-tests the traditional Australian breakfast dish with a difference – on sale at a cafe for $7

It could be seen as the patriotic expression of an Australian breakfast – but for some it’s everything wrong with the (culinary) world today.

Whichever side of the sourdough you come down on, a cafe in Newcastle has caused a stir by serving up Vegemite on toast with a difference.

Core Espresso has been sending out its toast on a wooden board with a scoop of bespoke butter, a smear of the murky spread and a price tag of $7.

It seemed destined for mid-menu mediocrity until a post on Instagram put the rose in the internet’s cheeks. User @huonoliver, who visited the cafe, was surprised by the presentation. Commenting it was “tasty but ridiculous” he posted a picture to his account. That was picked up by Brown Cardigan which ran a photo, hashtagged #notmyvegemite, and Reddit lit up with talk of the latest in deconstructed food.

Aside from “that is a disgrace” and “looks like the chef slipped on a dog turd”, critics claim the extra time it takes to distribute one’s own butter and Vegemite must surely deplete crucial toast warmth, resulting in an unmelted disappointment.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/18/vegemite-on-toast-gets-deconstructed-and-the-internet-is-not-happy

:laugh:

Never ever mess with the Aussies.  I mean never. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5074 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
I tried vegemite once. 

Exactly once. 

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5075 on: April 18, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Cheers for the laughs Martin.  :wink:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5076 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »
I don't think the guy understands how condescending he (basedcowboyshirt) comes across. Or he does and he's just a bit of a knob.

His thing has always been "I just don't understand how ___________ is difficult for you. I've never experienced that. Are you sure that happened to you, because um...ah...like that doesn't sound true at all." Nails on a chalkboard.

Dude seems pretty reasonable to me. He's not saying it didn't happen, he's asking you to consider alternative explanations.

That's the thing with most of the gripers on here- their brain settles on one possibility (usually some variant of "It's the Korean's fault) and then refuse to budge from that possibility and consider that alternative explanations are possible. I don't think any of us deny the possibility that some Korean might have been an asshole to you that time, but what we are asking you to consider is that there are 50 other possibilities besides being an asshole, and usually people fail to consider them. People also leap to the "Because they're Korean!" explanation when one can easily demonstrate how what happens is a human being problem, not a Korean one.

If your Korean genuinely IS good, you won't have a problem. If your Korean friends tell you it's good and then you constantly get people who can't understand you, here's a clue: Your Korean sucks and your friends were trying to be nice to you.

Anyways, everyone is going to fail the first time they try to speak another language. People will laugh or get upset with you. Welcome to being an immigrant. Buck up and do what all those Indian, Chinese, Nigerian, Mexican, Italian, Russian, Korean, etc. people did back home and either practice really hard at it or accept the permanent bad accent you have.

Like seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to believe that after 1-2 years experience, that you will sound like a native speaker and people won't give you a blank stare? 95% of other immigrants to other countries can't pull that off. What makes you think you can? You know all those Pakistanis that immigrated to our countries when they were 14-45 and still speak with a strong accent? Guess what? That's you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:20:46 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5077 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Aren't you supposed to be on Step 5?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5079 on: April 18, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »

You kind of have to post it now, seriously, that is the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!