October 15, 2018, 06:43:25 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 783733 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5040 on: April 16, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
Just dropped 200 000W at Uniqlo. I'm gonna look fresh as shit for my bday party this Sat.

It's in Seongsu, anyone wanna come? haha  :police:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5041 on: April 16, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
I've noticed that whenever I try speaking to people in my school in Korean I always get the reaction of like...
"What? Huh? *laughter* What?"

I actually stopped trying to speak and just show them google translate on my phone because that was always the reaction and I felt like I was completely wrong when speaking. But I'd look it up and practice 20 times on my walk to school and say "The weather is good today!" or "Where is the library?" but every reaction was just "what? what?" and I'd get embarrassed and say forget it.

Is it a common occurrence for everyone or are people just shocked/unwilling to communicate?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5042 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
I've noticed that whenever I try speaking to people in my school in Korean I always get the reaction of like...

I actually stopped trying to speak and just show them google translate on my phone because that was always the reaction and I felt like I was completely wrong when speaking. But I'd look it up and practice 20 times on my walk to school and say "The weather is good today!" or "Where is the library?" but every reaction was just "what? what?" and I'd get embarrassed and say forget it.

Is it a common occurrence for everyone or are people just shocked/unwilling to communicate?

Koreans learn English using the Korean alphabet, and as such pronounce everything in Korean.  as such it can be almost impossible to understand, but the system is broken beyond repair and they expect you to understand what they are (badly, really badly) saying.  If you can't it is your fault for not making the mental leap.

As for speaking Korean, if you make even the most miniscule deviation from the standard pronunciation, Koreans will not attempt to guess what they think you mean, nor offer a suggestion.  they will look at you blankly, and when they find out what you mean will announce it as if you were a million miles away, and then laugh at the (non-existent) distance between the 2 pronunciations.  I mean, can they not venture a guess is you  say "방" instead of "빵".  Sure it is a bit funny (akin to kitchen and chicken) but seriously, it aint that much of a stretch...

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5043 on: April 17, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
Just dropped 200 000W at Uniqlo. I'm gonna look fresh as shit for my bday party this Sat.

It's in Seongsu, anyone wanna come? haha  :police:
Fresh as shit? Really?  :laugh:

Anyway, happiest of birthdays! And remember, it's not 1 year closer to the grave if you plan on living forever!  ;D

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #5044 on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »

something similar happened to my yesterday. i was leaving the gym and i saw this older man (mid 40's i would guess) walking into the gym. we have seen each other inside the gym many times. i am only foreigner that goes to this place. there are NO OTHER shops or restaurants inside this building yet. my gym is on the 7th floor and every other floor of the building is completely empty.  the gym is the ONLY business open inside this building. if you are going into or out of this building, it's because you belong to this gym.

as i'm walking out and he's walking in, i hold the door for him and greet him in korean. he stands there and stares. we are both in the doorway with me holding the door open awkwardly. i ask him in korean if he's going to the gym. he stands there and doesn't answer but continues to just stare at me. i could tell he was a bit shocked that a stranger (and foreigner) for that matter was trying to make small talk with him. what got me frustrated was i was speaking korean...how/why could this dude not just hit me with an anyong and be on his way. he just completely froze and stood there. keep in mind, this wasn't some rice farmer that has lived out in the sticks his whole life that has never had convo with a foreigner, this is a businessman in a suit carrying a briefcase. it was so awkward i just said something like, allllright then and walked out of the doorway while he was still standing there.

here's my thing...read the situation and BE A HUMAN. smile, give a wave or a nod, and keep it moving.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5045 on: April 17, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »

Koreans learn English using the Korean alphabet, and as such pronounce everything in Korean.  as such it can be almost impossible to understand, but the system is broken beyond repair and they expect you to understand what they are (badly, really badly) saying.  If you can't it is your fault for not making the mental leap.

As for speaking Korean, if you make even the most miniscule deviation from the standard pronunciation, Koreans will not attempt to guess what they think you mean, nor offer a suggestion.  they will look at you blankly, and when they find out what you mean will announce it as if you were a million miles away, and then laugh at the (non-existent) distance between the 2 pronunciations.  I mean, can they not venture a guess is you  say "방" instead of "빵".  Sure it is a bit funny (akin to kitchen and chicken) but seriously, it aint that much of a stretch...

You oughta try being fluent and getting waved off by someone when they don't even listen to what you are saying. It's like they turn off their ears and start day dreaming or something. Frustrating as ****. When they do that to me (usually a bus driver) I just say something along the lines of 'oh, I'm sorry I thought you spoke Korean, I didn't realize foreigners could drive a bus for a living, how did you get this job without knowing Korean?' and they shit themselves. I guess a little different to yours but still the same ignorance.

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #5046 on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »

You oughta try being fluent and getting waved off by someone when they don't even listen to what you are saying. It's like they turn off their ears and start day dreaming or something. Frustrating as ****. When they do that to me (usually a bus driver) I just say something along the lines of 'oh, I'm sorry I thought you spoke Korean, I didn't realize foreigners could drive a bus for a living, how did you get this job without knowing Korean?' and they shit themselves. I guess a little different to yours but still the same ignorance.

im jealous of you lol.

i always play those situations back in my head like and i'll think of the perfect comeback like 3 days later.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5047 on: April 17, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »

Reminded me of this:

Offline orange6ur1

• Adventurer
« Reply #5048 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

I think in the end of the day, I wouldn't over-analyze or take anything personally. If anything, maybe you can have some native speakers give you some feedback about how you say things just in case.

I think in general, Korean culture is just different--that's something I have had to reallllllly wrap my brain around but it's true. It doesn't mean I can't feel frustrated over this or that, but I certainly am able to let go of most situations and live more carefree.

Most of the time, people aren't trying to be rude to just you--it's probably to anyone..ya know?

Anyway chin up and keep trying to speak in school regardless of their reaction. You kinda have to play along and I ask my students to help me "도와주세요~".
Eventually students will try to help you and personally I think they enjoy correcting my grammar/spelling/pronunciation and I get a free lesson :)

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5049 on: April 17, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Seems like it's a pretty common thing!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5050 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »
Today on salary day, I had the health insurance readjustment payment for 2017 of about 100 000 won go out of my salary on top of the usual monthly amount.  I asked my co-teacher who is sick quite a lot.  Her's was almost a plus payment.  She told me I need to be sick more.  Surely you should be rewarded for being healthy, not penalised?  :undecided: 

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5051 on: April 17, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
Today on salary day, I had the health insurance readjustment payment for 2017 of about 100 000 won go out of my salary on top of the usual monthly amount.  I asked my co-teacher who is sick quite a lot.  Her's was almost a plus payment.  She told me I need to be sick more.  Surely you should be rewarded for being healthy, not penalised?  :undecided:

You're not contributing to the economy by being healthy Dave. Bad boy.

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5052 on: April 17, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »

You're not contributing to the economy by being healthy Dave. Bad boy.

You're right, I'll break both of my legs this year at some point (while not interfering with the smooth running of the school or taking ten days sick leave) and save myself 90 000 won next year. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5053 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »

She worked less, so earned less, so pays less healthcare tax.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5054 on: April 17, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
and live more carefree.

Def read that as "have more coffee" upon skimming.

That's my advice. Always more coffee. 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5055 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »

Reminded me of this:

First time I visited Japan, I was with a group of non-Asians.

I am not Japanese nor am I fluent but I got mistaken for their tour guide  :blank:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :cry: I could only explain I wasn't Japanese and where I was actually from.

However, this led to seeing a cool art exhibition! The person who mistook me for Japanese happened to be a super friendly photographer  ;D

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5056 on: April 17, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

It's a combination of several things.

a. A lot of people here are very unused to hearing someone speak their language without total fluency. There are people all over the world who speak English as a second language, so we're used to it. But it's not the same in Korea. People learning Korean is a really recent thing, and it's still pretty weird for people to hear it.

b. Your pronunciation is definitely worse than you think it is.

c. People don't really make random small-talk in the office unless they're friends or actually having a little chatty time together. Don't take it personally. This is also a generalization. Some people chat, obviously.

d. If you're put off trying to speak Korean by people being uncomfortable and not understanding what you're saying, then just quit. Or, push through it and eventually it gets better.

When I first came here, I experienced all the same things. I had restaurants wave me out, taxis refuse to take me, coworkers giggle when I talked, etc etc. It's dumb and annoying.

These days, I almost never get the blank stare, and nobody reacts differently when I'm speaking Korean to or around them.

Give it a little while and keep practicing.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5057 on: April 17, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »
Uber Eats often sends me email at ~12:10... after I have given up and decided to eat crap.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5058 on: April 17, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »

something similar happened to my yesterday. i was leaving the gym and i saw this older man (mid 40's i would guess) walking into the gym. we have seen each other inside the gym many times. i am only foreigner that goes to this place. there are NO OTHER shops or restaurants inside this building yet. my gym is on the 7th floor and every other floor of the building is completely empty.  the gym is the ONLY business open inside this building. if you are going into or out of this building, it's because you belong to this gym.

as i'm walking out and he's walking in, i hold the door for him and greet him in korean. he stands there and stares. we are both in the doorway with me holding the door open awkwardly. i ask him in korean if he's going to the gym. he stands there and doesn't answer but continues to just stare at me. i could tell he was a bit shocked that a stranger (and foreigner) for that matter was trying to make small talk with him. what got me frustrated was i was speaking korean...how/why could this dude not just hit me with an anyong and be on his way. he just completely froze and stood there. keep in mind, this wasn't some rice farmer that has lived out in the sticks his whole life that has never had convo with a foreigner, this is a businessman in a suit carrying a briefcase. it was so awkward i just said something like, allllright then and walked out of the doorway while he was still standing there.

here's my thing...read the situation and BE A HUMAN. smile, give a wave or a nod, and keep it moving.

Here's a little perspective for you:

How do you feel when someone comes up to you and starts an unsolicited conversation for no reason other than they want to practice their English and they think it's novel to talk to a foreigner?

Now, how do you think that guy felt when he was just going to the gym, and some random person starts talking to him and making small talk just because?

Probably about the same.

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5059 on: April 17, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »

That's why I don't even bother trying to speak most of the time. In my Korean classes, I'm told I have good pronunciation (far beyond my classmates at that), but any time I want to try using my words outside of class I get the same reactions. It's funny because people are super curious as to if you are learning/know any Korean, but are (often, not always) no help when you try. It's easier to play the dumb foreigner in every case rather than try to communicate in a one-sided conversation
The World Ends With You