October 17, 2018, 09:24:56 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 785894 times)

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5020 on: April 10, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
Avecpommesfrites has just lost any reason to complain that this thread or site has gotten boring.

If it weren't for me and my bro stillinkorea we'd still be talking about Trump all day. Thank me later.

Hey, I'm a big fan of Trump. And with his extreme levels of boorishness and casual racism, I can't believe he's not more popular in Korea.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5021 on: April 10, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
My last period class has been cancelled.  I should be making plans for future  lessons.  Instead, I'm lurking on waygook and dreaming of summer vacation.  Will it be too hot to visit a tropical paradise?  Should I go for the exotic or tried & true?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to skimp either.

I hope these next few months go fast. 

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5022 on: April 10, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
My last period class has been cancelled.  I should be making plans for future  lessons.  Instead, I'm lurking on waygook and dreaming of summer vacation.  Will it be too hot to visit a tropical paradise?  Should I go for the exotic or tried & true?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to skimp either.

I hope these next few months go fast.

I went to Vietnam last summer. It was really, really hot. But if you're not overly sensitive to heat, you'll be fine going somewhere hot. Especially if there's a beach.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5023 on: April 10, 2018, 03:04:14 PM »
Spurred on by Oglop's post about buying meat and getting it delivered, I'm always reminded about those funny food reviews from Amazon and decided just to check back on some of them. 

Sharp, Provolone Piccante Cheese (Whole Wheel) Approximately 60 Lbs/27 kilograms

My dog Baxter ate the whole wheel of cheese before I could get to it. I'm not mad though. It was kind of amazing. I'll buy another one next paycheck.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Provolone-Piccante-Cheese-Approximately/product-reviews/B0029XZAUQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

:laugh:

I remember a few years back doing a binge on funny Amazon reviews and some of the reviews were hilarious.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5024 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
Oh no! I'm in love with a Taiwanese woman!  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hahahahaha

(Just kidding, I'm still in love with Indo girl, ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5025 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
I don't know if I should be excited about the fact that romantic love doesn't come naturally to me and that I don't have to worry about the troubles associated with it, or to wail bitter tears over the fact that I'm not in the loop anymore.

Tbf, though, the stories I read and hear about make everyone sound like they're on crack. Happy to be single, preferably for life. <3

@ Dave Stepz: The ones for the X-rated merch are the best.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:08:29 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5026 on: April 12, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
I enjoyed whiling away the desk warming hours with CO2's shenanigans and adventures in Indonesia and the like.  I was hoping the Taiwanese encounter might lead to some more high drama and scuttlebutt.  Back to reading every possible article I can about the Leafs, Bruins match-up and lamenting the fact I'll be missing a lot of playoff hockey.  At least the sports tavern I visit plays Leafs games due to the owner/manager being a fan.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5027 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
Jew say yo

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5028 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
R. Lee Ermey has passed away.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5030 on: April 16, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
A pigeon made her nest in the rafters of a walkway between two of the buildings at my school last month.  It was interesting because the mum sat on her eggs for the whole time and the students found it interesting to walk past and say hi.  Then a couple of weeks ago the eggs hatched and the mum sat with them.  I saw the mum this morning and now she's gone and has for most of the day.  All I can see now is two little heads poking up out of the nest.  I doubt they're ready to fly yet.  Hmmmm!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5031 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
^that is lovely.

Anyone know much about mini guitars? Asking for a friend.

Who's our resident guitarist? Mister Tim?? 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5032 on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

Anyone know much about mini guitars? Asking for a friend.

Who's our resident guitarist? Mister Tim??

Depends what you mean and what you want to know. Do you mean guitars where everything is scaled down including the scale length of the strings (ie something suitable for young children to play), or guitars where everything is scaled down except the scale length (ie just the body and hardware), so it still feels like playing a full-sized guitar neck but is more travel-friendly?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5033 on: April 16, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
Mini/student-sized guitar:

compact/travel-sized guitar:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5034 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
^that is lovely.

I was a little worried but saw now that the mum came back.  I don't think they'd survive at night in the cold.  The cute thing was when the egg hatched the shell dropped on the floor.  I picked it up and put it on the handrail.  A couple of hours later, some students had put it in a box with 'The egg hatched' written on it.   :laugh: :-*

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5035 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
^that is lovely.

I was a little worried but saw now that the mum came back.  I don't think they'd survive at night in the cold.  The cute thing was when the egg hatched the shell dropped on the floor.  I picked it up and put it on the handrail.  A couple of hours later, some students had put it in a box with 'The egg hatched' written on it.   :laugh: :-*

:laugh: That's so cute I want to punch something.

guitars where everything is scaled down except the scale length (ie just the body and hardware), so it still feels like playing a full-sized guitar neck but is more travel-friendly?

This. Interested in acoustic only. My friend is a complete beginner so if you know of anything on the inexpensive end for non-musicians... lol.

Actually, I'm curious as well. If you also happen to have recommendations for something with decent sound that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...  :laugh:  I vaguely researched a smidge out of curiosity and apparently there are mini Martins... 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5036 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »

This. Interested in acoustic only. My friend is a complete beginner so if you know of anything on the inexpensive end for non-musicians... lol.

Actually, I'm curious as well. If you also happen to have recommendations for something with decent sound that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...  :laugh:  I vaguely researched a smidge out of curiosity and apparently there are mini Martins...

Yeah, the Martin Backpacker has kinda been the standard travel-size option for guitars for like 20 years now. They look a little wonky...

...but they're certainly portable. They don't have very much projection, so don't expect to be able to use it for group singalongs or anything, but they're fine if you just want something to learn/practice on.

Another popular option is the Baby Taylor series by Taylor guitars:

They're bigger than the Martins, but still significantly smaller than a standard acoustic. They cost a bit more, but are still sub-$400. Oddly, despite being larger overall than the Martin, it actually has a shorter neck scale length (22.75" vs 24"). Since the body is bigger than the Martin, it will sound bigger and project more, while sacrificing a bit of the Martin's portability.

If you(r friend) just want something portable to noodle and learn on, the Martin should be fine. If you think you might ever want to play around/for people in some sort of group situation (campfire, livingroom singalong, whatever), the Baby Taylor would probably be better.

There are other companies making guitars similar in size to the Taylor for a bit less money, just look for "travel guitars." One brand that comes to mind is Luna, who makes a number of models in the $150-200 range. They also tend to put doofy art all over everything, but I suppose some people must like it, or they wouldn't be selling.

As a bit of a wildcard option, if you just want something portable to learn onm you could look at the brand Traveler Guitars. Making travel-sized guitars with full-length necks is pretty much their only thing. You'd need something to plug it into if you REALLY want to hear it, but you can get interfaces to use with phone apps and computers if need be.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5037 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
Thank you for all the data, Mister Tim! 

I gotta admit... the Martin Backpacker looks a little too atrocious for my taste, though I'm sure the quality is fine for what it is considering their maker.  And some reviews say it sounds a wee bit like a banjo??  :shocked:

This Martin has a fun finish and a normal shaped body. :laugh: But the Little Martins start edging into the $400 - 500 range and I feel like for that price I may as well just invest in another decent regular sized instrument, hahah.  I'll have to check out some baby Taylors if I can find any next time I'm home. 

I'm thinking Luna or something in a similar price range might be good for my friend.  Though, I wonder what can be found in Korea?  I only know of one music market in Busan (Bujeon).  But maybe online shopping can be an option.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5038 on: April 16, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »
Thank you for all the data, Mister Tim! 

I gotta admit... the Martin Backpacker looks a little too atrocious for my taste, though I'm sure the quality is fine for what it is considering their maker.  And some reviews say it sounds a wee bit like a banjo??  :shocked:

This Martin has a fun finish and a normal shaped body. :laugh: But the Little Martins start edging into the $400 - 500 range and I feel like for that price I may as well just invest in another decent regular sized instrument, hahah.  I'll have to check out some baby Taylors if I can find any next time I'm home. 

I'm thinking Luna or something in a similar price range might be good for my friend.  Though, I wonder what can be found in Korea?  I only know of one music market in Busan (Bujeon).  But maybe online shopping can be an option.

Another search term to look for that just occurred to me is "parlor guitar." Back in the day (Pre-WW2, generally speaking), guitars were often something played by women hosting people in their parlors, and were usually much smaller than the guitars that would become popular later. Luckily for your friend (or you?), parlor guitars have sort of come back into fashion in recent years, so there are plenty of companies making them at a variety of price points.

Here's a handy-dandy size comparison chart showing the differences between the most common acoustic body shapes:

A quick browse of my usual korean gear sites (freebud.co.kr and schoolmusic.co.kr, if you're curious  8) ) shows that you can get them from a number of brands here, including the Korean brand Cort, which has a reputation internationally for making good bang-for-your buck instruments.

296,000 KRW

208,000 KRW

(Don't let that label fool you, the brand is Korean, but those particular models are made in China  :laugh: )

Both of those are parlor body sized but still have full-length string scales. They'll take up much less room than a "regular" acoustic, and they don't look as dumb as a backpacker. For what it's worth, for quality I trust Cort more than I do Luna, but not as much as Taylor.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:47:42 PM by Mister Tim »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5039 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
This guitar looks really cool:

http://www.journeyinstruments.com