September 25, 2018, 07:32:55 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772099 times)

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
Was informed this morning that the whole school is taking a trip to see In the Heart of the Sea today. Probably wouldn't have seen it myself, but I sure don't mind leaving school 3 1/2 hours early to go watch an English movie.

I love Fridays.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
I was teaching my kids some new vocab and I had the word list on there. So we made a list of famous Koreans in the WORLD. Not in Korea. The obvious contenders came up (Ban Ki Moon, PSY, Kim Yuna) and some hilarious ones like Yu Jaeseok. The girl, J,  that suggested him would not believe that people from America wouldn't know him.

That's not the main point though. The main point was that she kept asking what list is in Korean.

"I don't know."

J: Teacher, translate on google.

"No, we made a list together. Let's make another one. A LIST OF KOREAN FOOD."

(Insert obvious culprits here)

J: Teacher, translate.

"J, I'm not a dictionary. We made two examples. A list is word and then you think of all of the other words about it. Food----> kinds of food. A list OF food."

(Make another list about Cities in Korea)

J: 티처ㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓㅓ  :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Naver translate

"Nope."

The class had gotten angry at her at this point. "J, e did 3 lists, think of the word yourself!"

I love J, shes really sweet 99% of the time. This one instance, she drove me up the wall. hahaha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #503 on: December 11, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
Also, who decided that 화 should be romanised as wha?

Ewha U, Hanwha etc...

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #504 on: December 11, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »

Ewha U, Hanwha etc...
If you follow the simple rules it is "hoa".  How else would you pronounce it?

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #505 on: December 11, 2015, 12:01:42 PM »
I want to go drink my face off tonight.  My girlfriend wants me to stay in, wake up early, and help her and her family make kimchi Saturday morning.  If only I could clone myself into two people.  It is hard having a sweet girlfriend.  I just want to thug.   :cry:

How long have you been dating? That seems like an extreme commitment to make.

Hey man, to each his/her own.  It sounds like OP doesn't mind the idea of making kimchi with his gf's family in the morning at all, so who are you to scoff at it as extreme or imply the gf is demanding?  Maybe he already knows her family, they get along well, and he's interested in spending time with them and having the cultural experience.  It might just be bad timing with his current mood and desire to drink on a Friday. :undecided:

Really?!?? You're going to play devil's advocate on that one? I wouldn't even do it for my own family. The only thing that could make it worse was if he actually did go out and had to do it hungover.

On the positive side, I guess you could say his GF likes him.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline Chewster

• Adventurer
  • Straight Illin'
« Reply #506 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
Today one of my third grade middle schoolers was getting uppity, I decided to shut that sh*z down. I'm a very relaxed teacher who laughs a lot with my kids and endures more than is necessary in terms of bad behaviour.

So I grabbed his chair and pulled it, with him in it, to the back of the class. I dragged his desk over and the two classroom bins, heaped to overflowing. I put on in front of him and one beside him. He'd been talking non-stop to his friend so I point to the bins. These are your new friends, you can talk to them. My class loved that and I felt happy  :azn: at my creative use of minimal verbal aggression.

This is what happens when corporal punishment gets banned. Bring back the belt, dammit! It was good enough for my grandfather and he drank whiskey in the pub every day and beat my father so clearly it worked.

More seriously: good job! I like hearing about creative punishments.

I remember once, I had this nightmare of a class at this small hagwon. The kind of 12-year-olds that really know when they got you by the balls. Anyway, some some girl said "Teacher! Filthy pig!" which took me by surprise. Impulsively, I grabbed her pencil case, dumped all the contents on the floor at the front of the class and yelled "PICK IT UP!" She looked rather shocked but she sheepishly did as she was told and wasn't an issue the rest of class so I guess my instincts were right.

I was pretty annoyed but also kind of impressed that she knew the word "filthy".

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #507 on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
Today one of my third grade middle schoolers was getting uppity, I decided to shut that sh*z down. I'm a very relaxed teacher who laughs a lot with my kids and endures more than is necessary in terms of bad behaviour.

So I grabbed his chair and pulled it, with him in it, to the back of the class. I dragged his desk over and the two classroom bins, heaped to overflowing. I put on in front of him and one beside him. He'd been talking non-stop to his friend so I point to the bins. These are your new friends, you can talk to them. My class loved that and I felt happy  :azn: at my creative use of minimal verbal aggression.

This is what happens when corporal punishment gets banned. Bring back the belt, dammit! It was good enough for my grandfather and he drank whiskey in the pub every day and beat my father so clearly it worked.

More seriously: good job! I like hearing about creative punishments.

I remember once, I had this nightmare of a class at this small hagwon. The kind of 12-year-olds that really know when they got you by the balls. Anyway, some some girl said "Teacher! Filthy pig!" which took me by surprise. Impulsively, I grabbed her pencil case, dumped all the contents on the floor at the front of the class and yelled "PICK IT UP!" She looked rather shocked but she sheepishly did as she was told and wasn't an issue the rest of class so I guess my instincts were right.

I was pretty annoyed but also kind of impressed that she knew the word "filthy".

My main CT is an ajeosshi who is very short in stature--the students give him a lot of flack for it, especially when I'm around (I'm 6ft/184cm).  He takes it fairly well and has a good relationship with them, but today when he and I were proctoring the last exam together, this one particularly smart-mouthed student went, "Nomadicmadda Teacher!  XXXX Teacher students say is very ugly!"

It's times like these I wish I spoke a bit more Korean, or spoke it fluidly enough to react faster.  I wish I could have said, "Hey.  That's not funny; that's your teacher.  You're being incredibly disrespectful.  Apologize now."  My CT made him stand in the back of the room with his arms above his head while he passed out the exam and students got settled, but I feel like the kid still thought he was amusing.  I gave him a really un-amused and disapproving look--he'd said it to get my attention--but it's frustrating that I didn't have a chance to fully reprimand him.   He was also later caught silently doing the 8-heads measuring thing after he'd finished his exam.  I guess it's also up to my CT to draw that line too, but still.  F*cking rude.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #508 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

Ewha U, Hanwha etc...
If you follow the simple rules it is "hoa".  How else would you pronounce it?

Yes, and wha would be pronounced like 와, not 화. That was my point.

Offline Chewster

• Adventurer
  • Straight Illin'
« Reply #509 on: December 11, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
My main CT is an ajeosshi who is very short in stature--the students give him a lot of flack for it, especially when I'm around (I'm 6ft/184cm).  He takes it fairly well and has a good relationship with them, but today when he and I were proctoring the last exam together, this one particularly smart-mouthed student went, "Nomadicmadda Teacher!  XXXX Teacher students say is very ugly!"

It's times like these I wish I spoke a bit more Korean, or spoke it fluidly enough to react faster.  I wish I could have said, "Hey.  That's not funny; that's your teacher.  You're being incredibly disrespectful.  Apologize now."  My CT made him stand in the back of the room with his arms above his head while he passed out the exam and students got settled, but I feel like the kid still thought he was amusing.  I gave him a really un-amused and disapproving look--he'd said it to get my attention--but it's frustrating that I didn't have a chance to fully reprimand him.   He was also later caught silently doing the 8-heads measuring thing after he'd finished his exam.  I guess it's also up to my CT to draw that line too, but still.  F*cking rude.

I feel ya. There is definitely a line that really shouldn't be crossed. Most of my current students know it. If they tease me but I can tell they are being playful, I just roll with it and tease them back because I try to have a decent rapport with them and getting upset at every tiny insult would give me an aneurysm but if they are doing it to be hurtful, they get the hose again some kind of punishment. My co is pretty lax but he always gets my back when I'm after a kid who's being a problem so that's nice.

It's funny to see them react because the look they get from me, they know right away that they went too far and usually start apologizing profusely. I'm pretty easy going but once I pull out my angry voice, they tend to smarten up. Good times.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »

I feel ya. There is definitely a line that really shouldn't be crossed. Most of my current students know it. If they tease me but I can tell they are being playful, I just roll with it and tease them back because I try to have a decent rapport with them and getting upset at every tiny insult would give me an aneurysm but if they are doing it to be hurtful, they get the hose again some kind of punishment. My co is pretty lax but he always gets my back when I'm after a kid who's being a problem so that's nice.

It's funny to see them react because the look they get from me, they know right away that they went too far and usually start apologizing profusely. I'm pretty easy going but once I pull out my angry voice, they tend to smarten up. Good times.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Mine are the same way, hahaha.  Especially the boys.  I'm female, and I think they sometimes get a little rowdy and like to show off in class.  I'm all for then using English wherever and whenever they can, but if they cross that line, they know.  (OH GOD NO HER IMAGE OF ME IS RUINED) :laugh:

I'm all smiles 99% of the time, and it makes that flipped switch super effective.  It's actually the most effective at my vocational school, which is interesting.  Those kids are the rowdiest, and a lot of the Korean teachers have trouble controlling them.  I think it's because I don't do the whole "I AM YOUR TEACHER; YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME," show of dominance thing.  That seems to be how most of the teachers there try to handle it, which of course with insolent kids is like the least effective thing ever long-term.  Respect has to be earned--even from kids! :undecided:

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #511 on: December 11, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
My Kids write that I am a "son of a bitch" on the tables.. (I'm actually a bastard, but whatever)

Also give me the finger behind my back.. yell *********, tear their books up after the first two weeks, etc...

Oh yeah also shouting at me that I need to speak Korean because it's Korea! While I'm trying to teach a lesson, or help them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:06:11 PM by Hot6^ »
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline midori951

• Veteran
  • Bang Bang!
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
My Kids write that I am a "son of a bitch" on the tables.. (I'm actually a bastard, but whatever)

Also give me the finger behind my back.. yell *********, tear their books up after the first two weeks, etc...

Oh yeah also shouting at me that I need to speak Korean because it's Korea! While I'm trying to teach a lesson, or help them.

well that could get annoying, what do you do about it?

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #513 on: December 11, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »

well that could get annoying, what do you do about it?

Nothing. The Vice Principal is "There just children," person... and praises Korean children no matter what, because they are geniuses! CT's just act sympathetic, but ultimately they don't do anything... not that they could, because then the VP/P just say it's their responsibility etc... yet the school system doesn't support the teachers having any type of disciplinary action cause, you know, parents.

I might just take the winter vacation, take the resign bonus, take the extra 14 days spring off... then quit.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #514 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
For my last after school class, after their exams were all over, my co-teacher decided to reward the students with a movie. Which movie? The Last Concert, about a woman dying of leukemia. Party on.

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #515 on: December 11, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Only 36 more potential working days left till I leave this place forever. Looking forward to mature, high level, motivated students.

I am so sick of this place I just finished going through my computer and deleted every photo and video I have taken in the last 5 years.

I'm a bridge burner of EPIK proportions. Pun absolutely intended.

Hail Caesar

ChrisKorea

« Reply #516 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
The teachers are going on an overnight trip today. They had invited me to go, but I declined. I remember last year's trip, also overnight, to a museum, a temple, dinner, a noraebang, our shared rooms (by sex), another restaurant, up a mountain, another temple, another restaurant, all things I don't mind doing in solitude, but it was hours and hours with a group, no time to recharge. So I didn't want to go this year.

I wonder when they are leaving. Most likely after lunch at some point. I hope it is all of them going. That way, the Teachers' Room will be empty. I will be free to walk over to the kettle and make coffee which I will sip in silence. Maybe I will even go home early, if no one is around to see. But this is a fantasy. Some teachers will probably remain behind, and their scrutiny will keep me at my desk.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:50:59 AM by ChrisKorea »

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »
Festival Day! Can't wait to see what the kiddos have been cooking up.

On another note, avoiding Star Wars spoilers by getting off facebook and other places I frequent for a week. I just don't get why my friends think its so funny to spoil things for people.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
We had exams this week. Monday I came to school at 8:10, like always. The teachers' assistant gave me the keys to the classroom. I looked at the exams schedule. Lunch would be at 12:30. None of the other teachers had arrived yet because exams start late so they all come late.

I went to the classroom. I opened up a couple hot packs because I know that I can't turn on the heater when no students are in the room. I sat in the cold. I wrote in my journal. I reorganized and catalogued my lessons folder. I read a book. I did pushups. I planned a scavenger hunt for winter camp.

The bell rings. It's 12:30. Time for lunch. There are about 10 students in the lunch room and no teachers. I'm late. One test was rescheduled, lunch started at 11:40. All of the meat has been given away or thrown out. I eat purple rice, kimchi, and 미역국. The lunch lady hands me a package of 김 to eat with my purple rice as an apology.

I can go home at 4:30. I was told that I had to stay until my usual time on exam days even when the other teachers go home. All of the other teachers have left. It's 1:00. I go back to the classroom.

I do more pushups. I walk around in circles to stay warm. I write more in a journal. I balance my home budget. I watch two episodes of Louie. I make themed templates for worksheets and powerpoint presentations for the first 5 lessons of the book I'm using next year.

It's 4:30, I can go home. There are no students here. I can't see any teachers here. I wonder if the teacher's room will be locked. I can see from across the hall that the lights are off. I feel angry that I have to sit alone in the cold while everybody else gets to leave. What will I do with the classroom key if the teacher's room is locked?

It's not locked. I open the door, startling the teachers' assistant who had fallen asleep, alone, in the teacher's room. I guess I'm not the only one who had to sit alone in the cold.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:36:37 AM by Aqvm »

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
Festival Day! Can't wait to see what the kiddos have been cooking up.

On another note, avoiding Star Wars spoilers by getting off facebook and other places I frequent for a week. I just don't get why my friends think its so funny to spoil things for people.
Friends who spoil Star Wars are no friends at all.