July 19, 2018, 09:46:32 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 733529 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4980 on: April 04, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
if the air quality was like this more often, seoul would be a much nicer place to live

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #4981 on: April 04, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
How do you keep your morale up?
I've been feeling drained more and more, school issues and bad classes just take me down another notch every day.

I try to find joy in the little things, like the blossoms on my way home or that one cute dog, but it's not enough most times.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4982 on: April 04, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »
I've been feeling drained more and more, school issues and bad classes just take me down another notch every day.

I try to find joy in the little things, like the blossoms on my way home or that one cute dog, but it's not enough most times.

Take a weekend and just go to a city that you've never been to. Doesn't have to be paradise. I'm going to Daegu by myself this weekend just to poke around. Decompress, see a movie, go to the best jjimjilbang in the city.

I did this in Chuncheon a few weeks back and I feel great. Get away, sleep in a jjimjilbang if finances are an issue.

Get away by yourself and walk. Just walk all day.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4983 on: April 04, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »

Take advantage of the clean air and pleasant weather and find somewhere to go jogging. I started doing it when I was younger and struggling with low-moods and anxiety. It helps immensely. I imagine cycling would do the trick but I personally try and avoid being on Korean roads in anything smaller than a bus.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4984 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:28 PM »

I plan trips and activities, both with friends and to do on my own. I exercise a lot, too, and spend some time writing (creatively) because they're both hobbies I enjoy.

Looking forward to making a change in the future has made a difference for me, too. If I were stuck in a shitty school right now, for example, I'd be looking forward to the end of the contract to see what new school I can get myself assigned to later.

I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time. Just don't isolate yourself too much, give yourself a break to unwind in however way you enjoy doing it. Try to remind yourself that what you're going through is only temporary, and that it has an end, and that bitches be bitches and that's not your problem -- it's theirs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:30:34 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #4985 on: April 04, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »

Yeah hang in there Bingsu! It will get easier, trust! And kudos for always remembering to enjoy the little things - an important life skill that, I reckon  :smiley:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4986 on: April 04, 2018, 04:36:12 PM »

weather's getting nice now. the cold months are always depressing. go outside your city on the weekends. there are lots of meet up groups that do weekend hiking or traveling if you don't have anyone to go with

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #4987 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
You guys really are the best, thank you so much. I know I've complained a lot about my school, but thank you for giving me so much advice and love.

I'm gonna try and focus more on the smaller points of my day that make me happy. Someone in the moments thread posted that it helps them to remember things aren't as bad as they seem, and I'm trying to think like that more.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4988 on: April 05, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
You guys really are the best, thank you so much. I know I've complained a lot about my school, but thank you for giving me so much advice and love.

I'm gonna try and focus more on the smaller points of my day that make me happy. Someone in the moments thread posted that it helps them to remember things aren't as bad as they seem, and I'm trying to think like that more.

Hi, waygook.org user Bingsu!
You're a pretty new teacher. The first year is both some of the best and worst times you'll have here, if you stay for a while. I was lucky to have a pretty tight group of friends that was active and we went out and were young and dumb and it was fun back then. But really, for the most part, after your first year, bad things won't seem quite so bad, and good things won't seem quite so good. The complete immersion in a foreign place and lifestyle makes everything a little sharper and more in focus at first, and that can be rough. But it also makes the good memories better.

Just remember that no matter how unpleasant things feel, they're temporary. There's always stuff to look forward to, even if you can't really articulate what it is. Going to the gym, opening a cold beer, fresh coffee in the morning, bingeing TV, hanging out with your homies, whatever.

I'll disagree that things aren't ever as bad as they seem. Sometimes literally everything sucks, and there's nothing you can really do about that. And trying to talk yourself into thinking they're not bad is just going to be frustrating. But, good things (or at least not miserable things) are always just around the corner.

Just remember to take care of yourself. Eat fruit and vegetables, even if they're expensive. Get some exercise or fresh air, even if the air is junk and you have to wear a mask when you go outside. Try to have a bit of social interaction whenever you can, even if it's not people you're super close with - just to blow off some steam. Keep in touch with friends and family back home. I've been here for entirely too long, and I've had a Kakao chat room with my two bests friends back home for the entire time, and it's been one of the best constants in this whole time.

OH! And one more thing. The absolute best advice I can give re: teaching - just chill. When people first get here (my self included), they tend to stress way too much about the job. As long as you're moderately prepared, timely, responsible, and not super lazy, you'll be doing a good job. And experience will make everything easier. Don't wear yourself ragged over the job though, even if it feels like you need to to prove yourself, or like you're being judged. I've worked in some miserable situations, and in retrospect, the best thing I could've done is just relaxed and not tried so hard. (I'm not advocating being lazy trash or anything, though.)

And also, if you're feeling mild depression or severe, don't worry! There's someone who loves you, and he's a rapper with gold teeth. It's Lil B. You can always listen to Lil B's music for some #based positivity, or listen to his lectures at various prestigious universities. They're positive and encouraging.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4989 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »
I'll disagree that things aren't ever as bad as they seem. Sometimes literally everything sucks, and there's nothing you can really do about that. And trying to talk yourself into thinking they're not bad is just going to be frustrating. But, good things (or at least not miserable things) are always just around the corner.

As the author of the post she was referencing, I feel the need to point out that you kind of missed the point. There's a difference between "things" as in "the thing that is happening right now" and "things" as in "my life as a whole." It's possible to be experiencing something extremely sh!tty but still try to step back and look at the big picture.

As you say, good things could be right around the corner. Bad days/weeks/months aren't the end of the world. Sometimes it definitely does help to try to maintain a bit of perspective. It isn't "trying to talk yourself into thinking they're not bad," it's trying to remind yourself that bad things aren't the only things that happen, difficult as that might be to do when bad things are happening at the moment.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4990 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »

As the author of the post she was referencing, I feel the need to point out that you kind of missed the point. There's a difference between "things" as in "the thing that is happening right now" and "things" as in "my life as a whole." It's possible to be experiencing something extremely sh!tty but still try to step back and look at the big picture.

As you say, good things could be right around the corner. Bad days/weeks/months aren't the end of the world. Sometimes it definitely does help to try to maintain a bit of perspective. It isn't "trying to talk yourself into thinking they're not bad," it's trying to remind yourself that bad things aren't the only things that happen, difficult as that might be to do when bad things are happening at the moment.

Waygook.org user Mister Tim - I'm not sure which post you think I was referencing of yours. I was just responding to waygook.org user Bingsu's post. I wasn't responding to any post of yours. Sorry for the confusion.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4991 on: April 06, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »

Waygook.org user Mister Tim - I'm not sure which post you think I was referencing of yours. I was just responding to waygook.org user Bingsu's post. I wasn't responding to any post of yours. Sorry for the confusion.

You were responding to...

Someone in the moments thread posted that it helps them to remember things aren't as bad as they seem, and I'm trying to think like that more.

...right?

I was the someone in the moments thread she was referencing. I was clarifying the point she was talking about and that you disagreed with.

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4992 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
Nobody told me that all my 1st grade classes today would be cancelled. This is the GOOD kind of Korean Surprise to end the week  ;D
The World Ends With You

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4993 on: April 06, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
Nobody told me that all my 1st grade classes today would be cancelled. This is the GOOD kind of Korean Surprise to end the week  ;D

I've never understood why people get upset when classes are cancelled. And people say I moan.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4994 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »

You were responding to...

Someone in the moments thread posted that it helps them to remember things aren't as bad as they seem, and I'm trying to think like that more.

...right?

I was the someone in the moments thread she was referencing. I was clarifying the point she was talking about and that you disagreed with.

Oh. Okay. Thank you.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4995 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
a picture of food
feeds the whole hungry clan
the image of good
makes the whole healthy man

why walk the mile?
why do the work?
just smile the smile!
after all, success is a quirk!

life isn't real
that's the message I give
it's easy that way
plus
who wants to live?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4996 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
a picture of food
feeds the whole hungry clan
the image of good
makes the whole healthy man

why walk the mile?
why do the work?
just smile the smile!
after all, success is a quirk!

life isn't real
that's the message I give
it's easy that way
plus
who wants to live?
Hwooff! That book is some heavy reading, man!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4997 on: April 06, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
I thought it was a quote from something like Rick and Morty.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4998 on: April 06, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
Happy Friday.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4999 on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
Happy Friday.

YES THANK GAWD

Same to you. This has been a long week, and it's time for me to go wilderness junkie and just disappear for the weekend.