October 19, 2018, 11:33:43 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 787415 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4940 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
Where are the characters of yesteryear? Where are the greats like Sonny and Ramblesofftopic? They were consigned to the waygook archives by the kimchi dzigae bore jobs who like to make their own marrkolee on Sundays. We need a new hero. Someone to put some spice into this bland site of briefcase wielding green tea drinking let's take the bus instead of a taxi generation of waygooks. At the least KimMandu reporting someone in Starbucks for monetizing a 37 view youtube video to the Korean ministry of foreign affairs. Anything man.

Oooooh. True.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4941 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Where are the characters of yesteryear? Where are the greats like Sonny and Ramblesofftopic? They were consigned to the waygook archives by the kimchi dzigae bore jobs who like to make their own marrkolee on Sundays. We need a new hero. Someone to put some spice into this bland site of briefcase wielding green tea drinking let's take the bus instead of a taxi generation of waygooks. At the least KimMandu reporting someone in Starbucks for monetizing a 37 view youtube video to the Korean ministry of foreign affairs. Anything man.
Smaug was pretty awesome, and I liked the... randomness? ... of Splongebob's advice too. And Frozencat was great because he was both eloquent *and* super easy to rile up.  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4942 on: March 30, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
I don't know, the one I miss the most at the moment is Donovan. He knew how to be funny without being a jerk about it.

But genderpotato / meep were good, too.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4943 on: March 30, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
I don't know, the one I miss the most at the moment is Donovan. He knew how to be funny without being a jerk about it.
Yep, Donovan was great too, but... I mean, who stops endlessly posting on the interwebs just because they had a baby?  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4944 on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
EnglishRose
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4945 on: March 30, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
EnglishRose
Yes

Yep, Donovan was great too, but... I mean, who stops endlessly posting on the interwebs just because they had a baby?  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Also, yes.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4946 on: March 30, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »

He had an existential crisis, but he's also not really gone for good, yet, either.

EnglishRose

Forgot about him. And his mini-me version.  :afro:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:50:54 PM by Chinguetti »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4947 on: March 30, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
where's pecan? his posts were all right in a torturous kind of way

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4948 on: March 30, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
I think he got muted one too many times and busted a nut on out of here.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4949 on: March 30, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
I think he got muted one too many times and busted a nut on out of here.
but he was so dedicated on proving himself to be better than everyone else... it's not like him to give up so easily

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4950 on: April 02, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
I feel like there hasn't been an American rip their passport up in North Korea for a while. Come on guys, get your act together.  >:( :P
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4951 on: April 02, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
Don't forget Camden. The Chuck Norris of ESL teaching.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4952 on: April 02, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
But was Camden ever among us?
Did he *really* do everything that's been said about him?
All we have is the word of that one bitter poster who complained about his utter awesomeness.
Must I really take his awesomeness on faith alone?

Camgnostic.  :sad:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4953 on: April 02, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »
But was Camden ever among us?
Did he *really* do everything that's been said about him?
All we have is the word of that one bitter poster who complained about his utter awesomeness.
Must I really take his awesomeness on faith alone?

Camgnostic.  :sad:

TBH I'm not sure. I'm also Camgnostic. But, part of me does want to believe that Camden is truly out there;
Being that super awesome, almost godlike, ESL teacher, that the church of Camden (that 1 bitter poster), told us about; and making ESL teaching in Korea, mildly better!

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4954 on: April 02, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
where's pecan? his posts were all right in a torturous kind of way

Don't know. Evidently he is still active, but maybe is just a lurker now.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4955 on: April 02, 2018, 03:31:51 PM »
The appearance by North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, on Sunday at a concert by South Korean musicians in Pyongyang was all the more unusual because his authoritarian government has been struggling to stave off what it sees as an infiltration of the South’s pop culture among his isolated people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/01/world/asia/kim-jong-un-north-korea-k-pop-concert.html

Attention was focused on how Mr. Kim would react to the pop singers, particularly Red Velvet. The five-member girl group is typical of South Korean girl groups — known for their chirpy, bubble-gum harmonies and sexy choreography.

Their tunes are so infectious that the South Korean military has broadcast them across the border in a psychological war against North Korean soldiers. The North used to threaten to direct its artillery at the loudspeakers, warning of an “all-out war” if the South didn’t turn them off.

How things have changed.

South Korean officials said the North did not attempt to reject any of the South Korean song lineup or change the pop stars’ lyrics or risqué dance moves.

(But apparently, even North Korea had a limit to how far it would go in accepting K-pop. South Korean officials said the North had rejected their suggestion that the global star Psy, the singer famous for his “Gangnam Style” hit, be included in the visit.)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4956 on: April 03, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
(But apparently, even North Korea had a limit to how far it would go in accepting K-pop. South Korean officials said the North had rejected their suggestion that the global star Psy, the singer famous for his “Gangnam Style” hit, be included in the visit.)
    Probably because Psy has been known to include political and social commentary in his lyrics, unlike the vapid majority of other pop stars.
    It's too bad... I was looking forward to what his "Pyeongyang Style" dance would've looked like!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4957 on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »
    Probably because Psy has been known to include political and social commentary in his lyrics, unlike the vapid majority of other pop stars.
    It's too bad... I was looking forward to what his "Pyeongyang Style" dance would've looked like!
He’a also a former-has-been.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4958 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
He’a also a former-has-been.
True. But he's already made 2 or 3 big comebacks. Who knows, that Pyeongyang gig might have been the big breakthrough performance to kickstart comeback #4!

...don't get me wrong, I don't actually like his music, but I do like wasting time on what-ifs.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4959 on: April 03, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure NK wasn't interested in Psy because he's a chubby ajjeosshi. Had he been a pretty thing in her 20s, he'd have been welcome.