November 19, 2018, 05:41:17 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814726 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4900 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
i've been asked by korean co-workers and korean friends a bunch of times over the years why i don't have more foreign (american, canadian, etc..) friends. i always say something vague like yeahhh we all have different schedules so it's really hard to make time to hang out, but this community is a perfect example of why i just do my own thing most of the time.  there's a few people on here that would probably be really cool to have dinner or grab a beer with, but so many other people get into these games of 1-up's-manship or weird pissing contests.

- What you don't understand is how Confuscianism has directly impacted Korea's economi....thanks, but i was asking if homeplus has reese cups.

- Somebody is having trouble with the messaging system at their school - you can count on one of the super foreigners to swoop in and belittle them. ok sweet, we're all impressed you mastered the Cool Messenger service, but the person asking the question still needs to know how to inform their co-teacher they have a problem with their bank.

- Or yeah, i want to be friends with the guy that brags about saving 9,000 won a month by not having a refrigerator in his apartment. that's not quirky or smart...its WEIRD.

and my biggest pet peeve. it's when people leave those snarky back-handed compliments but they dress them up with their little emoticons ;) because they're so smart and nobody else can see they're just being obnoxious. i get that we're online and there's a certain level of anonymity that lets you do that with no consequences, but is that seriously how you talk to people in real life? acting like you're better than them or talking down to them? any normal adult can see what you're doing and it's so sad and lame. where i'm from, you would get away with doing that exactly one time. the second time you got cute and tried to talk sideways to somebody, you would get jammed up REAL quick.   

that's why i've been here for 8 or 9 years and hardly ever post. i just try and sift through all the bs and pick out cool teaching ideas or tips on how to make living in different country easier.

10/10 ramble/rant.

I feel ya.

Typical Facebook post in teaching group.

'Do you UK citizens get their pension back? Can we get a lump sum?'

1st reply: You can do it at the airport.
2nd reply: massive paragraph explaining how to get it for US citizens.
3rd reply: No, unless you make 120 months contributions then you can claim at retirement age.
4th reply: I did mine at the airport. You need your Canadian passport, Retina scans, sperm sample and a stamp.
5th reply: Where do you live, there is a pension office in xxx. I did mine there.
6th reply: Is pension taxed?
7th reply: Set up an easy one account at KEB. It's so easy they give you a free ******* for signing up.
8th reply: Yes.

These people do my head in.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4901 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
i've been asked by korean co-workers and korean friends a bunch of times over the years why i don't have more foreign (american, canadian, etc..) friends. i always say something vague like yeahhh we all have different schedules so it's really hard to make time to hang out, but this community is a perfect example of why i just do my own thing most of the time.  there's a few people on here that would probably be really cool to have dinner or grab a beer with, but so many other people get into these games of 1-up's-manship or weird pissing contests.

that's why i've been here for 8 or 9 years and hardly ever post. i just try and sift through all the bs and pick out cool teaching ideas or tips on how to make living in different country easier.

I assume only a minority of expats in Korea have signed up for this site, only a minority of those who have actually use it regularly, and only a minority of those who do are actually unpleasant. In a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" sort of way, it can be easy to see some of the people on this site and think "Man, expats in Korea are an irritating lot." However, I don't think it's really all that representative of expats here as a whole. Basically, not all teachers here are as unpleasant as I am, haha.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4902 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

I assume only a minority of expats in Korea have signed up for this site, only a minority of those who have actually use it regularly, and only a minority of those who do are actually unpleasant. In a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" sort of way, it can be easy to see some of the people on this site and think "Man, expats in Korea are an irritating lot." However, I don't think it's really all that representative of expats here as a whole. Basically, not all teachers here are as unpleasant as I am, haha.

It takes a certain kind of person to fly halfway around the world to teach English to another culture. I have found that this leaves a lot of the knobheads behind, back in our home country. Of course there are some douches here, but for the most part, the friends I've made here have been the most amazing people I've ever met.

Coming here takes a sense of adventure and an openness to new things, and those are very positive traits.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4903 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
Jake and Yubin are totally dating.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4904 on: April 19, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »

It takes a certain kind of person to fly halfway around the world to teach English to another culture. I have found that this leaves a lot of the knobheads behind, back in our home country. Of course there are some douches here, but for the most part, the friends I've made here have been the most amazing people I've ever met.

Coming here takes a sense of adventure and an openness to new things, and those are very positive traits.

I've yet to meet a foreign teacher who's made me question how they're even here (except myself  :blank: ), everyone has been soooo nice compared to some of the scumbags back home. Could you just imagine a country of expats? Wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be pretty nice I'd say
The World Ends With You

Offline chuyinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #4905 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
I agree^^

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4906 on: April 19, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
Could you just imagine a country of expats? Wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be pretty nice I'd say

It is called the UAE, and yes, very few people ever want to leave.

:)

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4907 on: April 19, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
Could you just imagine a country of expats? Wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be pretty nice I'd say

That's essentially how the US started out. Apparently once expats live somewhere long enough, they start to really dislike new expats coming along.

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #4908 on: April 19, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »

CO2 - i get what you're saying and i agree that being adventurous and open are positive traits. you're right about it taking a certain kind of person to leave their home country and do what we do, but i feel like that same point isn't always a positive one. in my own first hand experience here, i've met more than a few (i know the sample size is small) teachers that left their country not because they were full of wanderlust or adventure, but for bizarre or other weirdo creepy reasons. let's not act like every teacher came here out of their love for teaching or uniting the world through the English language.

aren't you the dude that legit only got your TESOL and came to korea because you were following some random korean chick you worked with at a movie theatre in canada?? and then she shut you down at the airport the day you showed up?

and aren't you the same dude that flew to indonesia to try and profess your love for ANOTHER chick but had everything backfire in your face again? how do you not read the signs and understand that maybe this isn't the smartest move to make, or maybe the chick isn't into you but doesn't know how to kindly tell you as much.

you give these "updates" on yourself and i read them and i think...does this dude realize life isn't a rom-com movie? you always spin it so you end up being this lovable do-gooder who just can't seem to catch a break with love, but in reality, if i was a chick, i would be like this guy sounds like a psycho and i'm staying away from him.

maybe in your retro-bob-dylan-wanna-be universe you think you come off as some kind of endearing hopeless romantic, but you don't man.

i watched that youtube video you made where you sat down and talked about making changes with your life. i legit respected that because it was like that was the only time you stopped trying sooo hard and you were just being real and talking honestly.

this website is entertaining enough to browse through because we have 6 hours a day to sit on our computers but you are a perfect example of why i usually just chill with my gf and why we keep our circle small.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4909 on: April 19, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »
Y'all ever message someone a sarky 1 liner and get a 6 paragraph essay back in reply?  ;D

Cheers for the laughs Martin.  :wink:

You kind of have to post it now, seriously, that is the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead. I don't give a crap.

Avec PMs me out of the blue with some one-liner insult. Fired back with a few sentences as well as a few emojis. Whatever. All in good fun. Then she PMs me again. I'm a loser and blah blah blah. Kids stuff.

Anyways, Avec what happened to your thread where you apologized to everyone? Did you forget the night that caused you to write that already? Antibiotics working so you're good to go out and party again? Come on, go all the way to Step 12. Remember that we deal with alcohol- cunning, baffling, powerful.

It sounds like there is a good story behind that bolded part! :o

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4910 on: April 19, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »

That's essentially how the US started out. Apparently once expats live somewhere long enough, they start to really dislike new expats coming along.

Is that before or after the Native Americans?  :sad:
The World Ends With You

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4911 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
CO2 - i get what you're saying and i agree that being adventurous and open are positive traits. you're right about it taking a certain kind of person to leave their home country and do what we do, but i feel like that same point isn't always a positive one. in my own first hand experience here, i've met more than a few (i know the sample size is small) teachers that left their country not because they were full of wanderlust or adventure, but for bizarre or other weirdo creepy reasons. let's not act like every teacher came here out of their love for teaching or uniting the world through the English language.
aren't you the dude that legit only got your TESOL and came to korea because you were following some random korean chick you worked with at a movie theatre in canada?? and then she shut you down at the airport the day you showed up?
and aren't you the same dude that flew to indonesia to try and profess your love for ANOTHER chick but had everything backfire in your face again? how do you not read the signs and understand that maybe this isn't the smartest move to make, or maybe the chick isn't into you but doesn't know how to kindly tell you as much.
you give these "updates" on yourself and i read them and i think...does this dude realize life isn't a rom-com movie? you always spin it so you end up being this lovable do-gooder who just can't seem to catch a break with love, but in reality, if i was a chick, i would be like this guy sounds like a psycho and i'm staying away from him.
maybe in your retro-bob-dylan-wanna-be universe you think you come off as some kind of endearing hopeless romantic, but you don't man.
i watched that youtube video you made where you sat down and talked about making changes with your life. i legit respected that because it was like that was the only time you stopped trying sooo hard and you were just being real and talking honestly.
this website is entertaining enough to browse through because we have 6 hours a day to sit on our computers but you are a perfect example of why i usually just chill with my gf and why we keep our circle small.
Ouch!
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would probably never ask you for a character reference.  :laugh: :cry:

Native Americans were expats too, some 30,000 years ago. Of course, they have a pretty decent reason for not being terribly happy with the more recent slew of immigrants.  :sad:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:44:34 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4912 on: April 19, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »

Regarding Korea: I take issue with your "random" Korean woman. You seem to know the story, so why name her that? We were dating a while in Canada and we loved each other. Yes, the reason I'm here is her. To say otherwise would be untrue.

Regarding Indonesia, blame is to be apportioned appropriately. She told me that she was still seeing her boyfriend 4 days after I'd showed up there. Sorry, that's on her. I don't chase married/in relationship women. If she'd just been HONEST about it, I wouldn't have been so persistent.

And the persistence is on me, too. I don't harass, and I don't stalk. But I make my intentions very clear. We still remain on good terms. And I'm dating here in Korea at the moment.

I know who I am and I know what I want. And when the love works, my lord does it work. You know two romantic things of my life from the last 8 years of my life. Y'ain't got the whole picture, bud.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4913 on: April 19, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
Wonder what teaching/living in Taiwan is like. Made some Taiwanese friends who are studying Korean for their "vacation" and they told me to come teach there  :laugh:

Been meaning to at least check out the place for fun.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4914 on: April 19, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
Wonder what teaching/living in Taiwan is like. Made some Taiwanese friends who are studying Korean for their "vacation" and they told me to come teach there  :laugh:

I worked in Hsin Xu paralegally for a month or two at a private elementary school, back in 2007, and it was fantastic. Got to experience a few typhoons, and that was worth the trip by itself. Bought a bunch of cheap jade and amber, drank a lot of mango slushies, and thoroughly enjoyed the night-life.
   Things would need to go seriously wrong for somebody to not enjoy their time in Taiwan.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4915 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Regarding Indonesia, blame is to be apportioned appropriately. She told me that she was still seeing her boyfriend 4 days after I'd showed up there. Sorry, that's on her. I don't chase married/in relationship women. If she'd just been HONEST about it, I wouldn't have been so persistent.

Glad you're not blinded by rose colored lenses. Honestly thought that was seriously inconsiderate of her but hey. To still be on good terms after something like that, you are the bigger person than I'd have been. 

Good to know you're truckin' along.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4916 on: April 19, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »

I worked in Hsin Xu paralegally for a month or two at a private elementary school, back in 2007, and it was fantastic. Got to experience a few typhoons, and that was worth the trip by itself. Bought a bunch of cheap jade and amber, drank a lot of mango slushies, and thoroughly enjoyed the night-life.
   Things would need to go seriously wrong for somebody to not enjoy their time in Taiwan.

Only a month or two?? So perhaps it's possible (I've yet to do any research) to literally go there for a working vacation?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4917 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »

Native Americans didn't start the US, expats did, haha. They were there, but I'm sure if they had their druthers, the US never would've gotten its start. They got the short end of the stick there, to put it extremely mildly.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4918 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »

Glad you're not blinded by rose colored lenses. Honestly thought that was seriously inconsiderate of her but hey. To still be on good terms after something like that, you are the bigger person than I'd have been. 

I went hoping I could convince her to give it a shot. It didn't work. Worst case Ontario, I got to see a new country with free local guides. And I had a tinder date down there that went swimmingly well  :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Did I get what I want? No. But to call it a wash would be a mistake.

Also, I'm not a bigger person, haha, but thanks. If everyone I met held all my shitty behaviour and mistakes against me, I wouldn't have many friends.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4919 on: April 19, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »

Yeah, I'd have told her to truck off, personally. Where the tr is replaced by a single, different letter.