October 19, 2018, 10:31:17 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 787741 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4820 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

What would you replace it with, then?

I found some truffle oil with actual truffles floating around inside, certified infused. But it was ridiculous expensive, and I don't want to spend that much on an oil I'll barely use.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4821 on: February 08, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

I found some truffle oil with actual truffles floating around inside, certified infused. But it was ridiculous expensive, and I don't want to spend that much on an oil I'll barely use.

put some mud in it.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4822 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:
To be fair, when reading this, my mind immediately to mushrooms also. Though that could have been because I read the replies about truffle oil first.

I've never knowingly had truffle oil cooked foods, though all of the cooking shows have made me want to try truffle oil pasta.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #4823 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »

Olive oil, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4824 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:
To be fair, when reading this, my mind immediately to mushrooms also. Though that could have been because I read the replies about truffle oil first.

I've never knowingly had truffle oil cooked foods, though all of the cooking shows have made me want to try truffle oil pasta.

A couple of years ago, we had a family holiday in Italy with my family.  My younger bro was well into truffle oil, but after the first couple of days of putting it in most things, people got sick of the smell and taste of it.  Most definitely an acquired taste. 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4825 on: February 08, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
Deskwarming gets a bit of a bad rap around here, but I've honestly never really had a problem with it. It gives me time to catch up on all the stuff I've been meaning to watch, which is what I'd be doing if I was allowed to stay home anyway, except I'm wearing pants.

One downside I've discovered to catching up on shows here at work - apart from having to wear pants, obviously - is having to deal with coworkers who are unfamiliar with the concept of "inside voices."

Every day so far this week, I've had to stop watching whatever it was I was watching for about 45 minutes, starting at 12:30. That's when a group of guys comes in to have coffee and shoot the shit. At first I tried just turning up the volume to drown them out, but I had to turn it up to the point that it was actually painful before I could no longer hear their conversation over my headphones.

This isn't some huge group, either. It's three people. You know that old SNL skit where Willl Farrell's character had voice immodulation disorder? It's like that. Now I've taken to just pausing my shows and putting on some intense, wall-of-sound-style death metal. It doesn't drown them out completely, but it at least overwhelms my sense of hearing enough that I barely notice their conversation.

Honestly, I get why they want to kick back and bullsh!t for a bit. Heck, I wish my Korean was good enough to be able to socialize with my coworkers in a more meaningful way. If I did, though, I'd attempt to do so at a sensible volume level.

...and before anyone jumps down my throat, no, I'm not accusing all Koreans of this behavior, or saying that people from other countries are never loud indoors. I'm just complaining about this particular group of guys at this specific school.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4826 on: February 08, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
...and before anyone jumps down my throat, no, I'm not accusing all Koreans of this behavior, or saying that people from other countries are never loud indoors. I'm just complaining about this particular group of guys at this specific school.

Who on earth could this be for, I wonder?  :laugh:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4827 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

Who on earth could this be for, I wonder?  :laugh:

You beat me to it, i was going to call it the "DeMartino Discalimer"

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4828 on: February 09, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »

A couple of years ago, we had a family holiday in Italy with my family.  My younger bro was well into truffle oil, but after the first couple of days of putting it in most things, people got sick of the smell and taste of it.  Most definitely an acquired taste.
Which is partly why I've never had it. I'm worried that after dropping all the money on a truffle-oil anything, I won't like it. Though, I do like mushrooms and I'm not a picky eater, so it may be a baseless worry.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4829 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »

Which is partly why I've never had it. I'm worried that after dropping all the money on a truffle-oil anything, I won't like it. Though, I do like mushrooms and I'm not a picky eater, so it may be a baseless worry.
Have you ever been to What A Salad in Itaewon? If you like salads, it might be a good chance for you to try truffle oil bc, you can ask for it on the side. Yes a bit pricey, but just a suggestion~ So if you don't like the truffle oil you didn't ruin your whole salad. Btw, if you do like it, still don't use all of the side oil, it's probably too much.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4830 on: February 09, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »
You can buy truffle oil at Fresh Mart grocery store on Seorae-ro near the French school.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4831 on: February 09, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4832 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
I mean at this point people might buy truffle oil just because it's scandalous to do it in some circles. xD

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4833 on: February 09, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
My high school is moving campus about 2 miles down the road for the start of next semester next month.  Today is the last day of teachers and things in the old school.  It looks like Pripyat at the moment. 

Can you imagine how much stuff there is to move for a school with six hundred students?  18 homeroom classes with all desks, chairs and electrical stuff.  Four teachers' rooms with everything going.  Principal's room. Three English rooms.  Physics, Chemistry and Biology rooms.  The main hall.  Cooking room.  Computer room. Admin.  Library.  Ok, you get the story.  So much stuff, and everything to go there.  The rest of this month will be very interesting while everything gets put in the new school. 

:huh:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4834 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »

Have you ever been to What A Salad in Itaewon? If you like salads, it might be a good chance for you to try truffle oil bc, you can ask for it on the side. Yes a bit pricey, but just a suggestion~ So if you don't like the truffle oil you didn't ruin your whole salad. Btw, if you do like it, still don't use all of the side oil, it's probably too much.
Oh thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't been there. ^^

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4835 on: February 12, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
"Kevin Teacher, we did musicals and storytelling for the last two years. Please make some new ideas for next year."

Film-making and music video direction it is!

So many videos and film techniques to teach. And as long as the end result is in English, no one gives a flying olympic puck.

Hardest Button to Button, Daft Punk is Plying at my House, Tonight, Tonight.

PUMPED

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #4836 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
I feel like this schedule is intentionally designed to crush one's soul and destroy any sentimentality one may have had about leaving

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4837 on: February 14, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
2 hours late. The world didn't end. hehehehehehe

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4838 on: February 14, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »
Wish I'd been 2 hours late. No one would have noticed today.

Why is it you feel laziest whenever you have a shit-ton of work to do?

I think it's time for a trip out of town somewhere.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4839 on: February 14, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
I think it's time for a trip out of town somewhere.

Come to Asan with my group on Sunday. wkwkwkwkw