September 24, 2018, 01:43:51 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771689 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4800 on: February 05, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
Everything is terrible.

Also just realized today that I'm getting pulled into some drama that I'm not responsible for but am still, somehow, at the center of.

It's like there's a gravity of wtf around me that pulls in all of the shit. All of it. xD Wish I could get into more details about what's been going on because lmao, but anonymity.

I haven't moved in a few years but I may put in a request for a relocation at the end of this contract. Gawd.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4801 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
My school is moving campus to another school and they were making the new signs for the doors, in Korean and English.  As soon as I saw...

생물준비실 - Creature Preparing Room
생물실 - Creature Room

I had to leg it downstairs to make sure they didn't write that. 

I remember years ago going to a funeral where the sign above the room where the deceased lay said...

빈소실 - Farting Parlor

Pretty sure I was the only person to see that.  Also not the best thing to see before entering a solemn room like that.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4802 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »
Man, does anyone else remember when this was a forum for expats in Korea, and not a political message board? Those were the days, huh?

The same four people start the political threads: CDW, Aurata, gogators, and weigookin74 (aka hangook77 aka jejujohn77). If those guys would cut it out, the board would be less cluttered with crap unrelated to our lives in South Korea.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4803 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
My school is moving campus to another school and they were making the new signs for the doors, in Korean and English.  As soon as I saw...

생물실 - Creature Room

I remember years ago going to a funeral where the sign above the room where the deceased lay said...

빈소실 - Farting Parlor

Pretty sure I was the only person to see that.  Also not the best thing to see before entering a solemn room like that.

I wonder how they come up with these translations.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4804 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »
google translate

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4805 on: February 05, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »

생물실 - Creature Room

빈소실 - Farting Parlor

I wonder how they come up with these translations.

The one that I always chuckle at is the 10 minute English monologue over the PA system at LotteMart.
The guy reading it sounds like a North American, but the words are... well let's just say they are clearly not his own!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4806 on: February 06, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Seven more months,..... one more semester.  I've been here long enough, & I'm looking forward to going home.

However, the thought of job-searching, continuing education, etc. is enough to send me into a panic attack.

I hope this next semester goes fast.
Samesies. I'm finally cutting my Korean life line and working on applications to grad schools abroad.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4807 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
I love when the school buys a box of red bean covered ddeok because it's the VP's bday and then they try and pawn 2kg of it off on me after no one finishes even a quarter of the box.

There's NO WAY I'm taking that.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4808 on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
I love when the school buys a box of red bean covered ddeok because it's the VP's bday and then they try and pawn 2kg of it off on me after no one finishes even a quarter of the box.

There's NO WAY I'm taking that.
Take it. Take it all. Then go feed it to the ducks and maybe one day you will have the chance to be as epik as this dude:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4809 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Take it. Take it all. Then go feed it to the ducks and maybe one day you will have the chance to be as epik as this dude:

Very 오리지널

A duck/떡 joke

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4810 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
Alternatively, you can be as cool as that guy in the korean expat urban myth who lived a lonely life on Jeju, found a cute little duckling to keep him company, and raised it as he would his own child. Then, after he finally was forced to leave the luch tropical paradise that is the Hawai'i of Korea, he found that he couldn't bear to leave the poor thing behind, as the duck would not be able to survive on its own. So he ate it. The end.

If anybody can find the link to this old story, please post it 'cause I can't find it!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4811 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
The idea of physical fitness outside of hiking and walking is definitely picking up momentum here, at least in my area. My gym has seriously picked up in business, and the cold is not keeping anyone away.

And I'm normally really annoyed by peacocking but last night there were so many guys doing it that I felt like I was in a mecha cartoon, and there's something to be appreciated about that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:23:44 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4812 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
The idea of physical fitness outside of hiking and walking is definitely picking up momentum here, at least in my area. My gym has seriously picked up in business, and the cold is not keeping anyone away.

And I'm normally really annoyed by peacocking but last night there were so many guys doing it that I felt like I was in a mecha cartoon, and there's something to be appreciated about that.

What's peacocking? :o

You're lucky you have a gym in your area. The nearest gym to me, is about an hour away by bus. So it's hard for me to exercise regularly here. :'( However, I'm planning to buy some weights and stuff to exercise at home :D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4813 on: February 06, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »

You're lucky you have a gym in your area. The nearest gym to me, is about an hour away by bus. So it's hard for me to exercise regularly here. :'( However, I'm planning to buy some weights and stuff to exercise at home :D

It's both the best and the worst thing you'll see in a gym or club/bar here. Maybe I see a disproportionate amount of it because I'm a foreign woman, but it's still very common.

And even luckier that my gym is 24 hours. Like real 24 hours, none of that fake 24 hours where the gyms still close at, like, 11PM or midnight, and how dafuq does that even work?

Anyway, yeah, I'd actually like to invest in a bowflex or something like it but my place doesn't have the space for it. I would find myself a new place that could fit one, though, if there were no gyms in my area.  :cry:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:59:57 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4814 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
I like how you edited it from DBZ to a mecha cartoon.

Well it made more sense, in my mind. xD

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4815 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

It's both the best and the worst thing you'll see in a gym or club/bar here. Maybe I see a disproportionate amount of it because I'm a foreign woman, but it's still very common.

And even luckier that my gym is 24 hours. Like real 24 hours, none of that fake 24 hours where the gyms still close at, like, 11PM or midnight, and how dafuq does that even work?

Anyway, yeah, I'd actually like to invest in a bowflex or something like it but my place doesn't have the space for it. I would find myself a new place that could fit one, though, if there were no gyms in my area.  :cry:

I like the Austin powers one more hahaha. Thanks for showing me, I had never heard of peacocking until today haha.

I'm lucky, one of the perks of living super rural, is all the apartments here, are designed for a small - medium sized family, so I have the space for some stuff. I was just thinking of getting a couple dumbells and a barbell, and some weights I can use with them. Maybe a compact contraption that could be used as a bench too. :D (depending on the cost)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4816 on: February 07, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
I like the Austin powers one more hahaha. Thanks for showing me, I had never heard of peacocking until today haha.

Yeah, it's not really much of an exaggeration in some cases. xD Last month I had the pleasure of watching some WWE-level shenanigans. Would have been cute if they weren't being so serious about it.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4817 on: February 07, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
Guess who's back?
Back in June
Indo's back
I'm her friend

Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back............... DA NA NA

But seriously, I've dealt with two friends calling me this week wanting to kill themselves, my family has a really dark secret that I now know about (that's private, don't even ask) and now she's moving back here in June to work.

Can my life be uneventful for ten fukking minutes? When you have this many friends/people rely on you, I suppose you get more curveballs than everyone else. Jesus. Hahahaha thank god I have a sense of humour to get me through all this insane shit.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4818 on: February 08, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4819 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics