October 19, 2018, 11:31:49 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 787413 times)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4780 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
I have a favorite pair of chopsticks. They are functionally identical to all of my other chopsticks.

Sometimes I suspect that when I abandoned my religion, I subconsciously filled the gap with different superstitions or ideas, such as not wearing my favorite team's jersey when they're making a playoff run, or having a favorite pair of chopsticks.
     There's a pretty big branch of neuroscience that deals with the physical root of the fundamentally human need to believe in something -- be it religion, superstition, or even that people care enough to read long detailed posts on Waygook.
     Studies have been conducted using magnetic stimulation of the brain that researchers claim to be able to trigger "religious feelings". That same feeling isalso be associated with certain kinds of seizures. Interestingly enough, experiences of religiosity and pedantry were found to be closely related in several of those studies, which proves that us grammar nazis are closer to god than the rest of you schmucks.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:56:42 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4781 on: January 22, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
 :police: You now why I'm here. We all do. So what is going on?

:-* I have a boyfriend still..............

:police: C? Him? F'in hell, R. What?

C is a douche. He taught here in Korea and they were dating back then last year 2016/early 2017. He cheated on her twice, she forgave him, he skipped the country back to the US and is now teaching in China. He didn't go to Indonesia, he went to China. F this guy.

:police: Why didn't you just tell me that? I don't chase women around when they're in relationships, FFS.

:-* I'm sorry, Kevin.

:police: Well, I'm sorry about the phone call yday. (I probably did sound like a psychopath, upon reflection).

We talk about stuff, she thinks it's amazing I got laid. hahaha I decide that she's too important to me to tell to f off, so we're cordial and agree to be friends.

The next two days are amazing. The awkwardness and all that went away because, like I've said, honesty is the best policy. And it's kind of a double edged sword because when we were just joking around  and having fun, it reminded me why I fell for this girl in the first place.

So many jokes about I. hahaha Y couldn't believe it.

:-* You............. just met a girl?? And went to a hotel???

:police: We both knew why we were meeting well prior to Tuesday.

:-*  :shocked: :huh: She's from Borneo, Kevin. She knows Dayak Black Magic and can make you fall in love with her. Be careful.

And on Friday morning it was finished. I left. I cried at the airport. In all honesty, I didn't know either of them superwell when I arrived. I'd only known R for a couple of months before she left. But now I have a third family in the world. Y was such a cockblock but I understand why now. Her friend has a BF and she doesn't want smooth Canuck man in there, that's what friends do.

But goddamn do I still love that woman. But I've been through this before and it doesn't hurt 10 percent of that one, Jesus.

That said, I AM NEVER FLYING OVERSEAS FOR A GIRL EVER AGAIN.

FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME.

Peace, y'all.

PS: If C ever does anything out of line, I will fly to where he is and kick the shit out of him. You used to teach in Korea, C, maybe you're on here still. I will kick your ass, MF.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4782 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
Dude.  I know you probably feel like shite right now but honestly if that's how she behaved then don't settle for that tripe. 

She (everyone, even here!) knew why you were flying over. 
She didn't even have the decency to tell you in advance that oh, by the way, she has a boyfriend? (dafuq?)
She can't even drop your hand of her own volition?  Her friend has to jump in?  How old even is she? 

Maybe this is harsh, but it seems as if she wanted to see you again (without much effort on her part) and decide if she wanted you more than other guy.  Then decided to stick with her a-hole of an ex anyway.  Cause if she told you, then would you have still gone over?

(Seriously, twice a cheater and still giving him extra chances?  Girl sounds a fool) 

Me personally, I wouldn't bother with someone like her anymore cause life is short but I don't know everything about your unique situation, so you do you.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4783 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
So... has anyone rented a noraebang bus?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4784 on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »
This is the deadest I've ever seen waygook.org haha

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4785 on: January 26, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

During my first year at my first public school job in Korea several years ago, the teachers/staff at my then-school went on an overnight trip during the summer and I remember the bus we rented had a noraebang system in it. All the Korean teachers/staff who went on the trip had to get up and go to the front of the bus to sing, but luckily they didn't make me do it.

Online sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4786 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Happy Friday, everyone! Happy to say that this is my last day of winter camp. Have three days of deskwarming to go (Monday - Wednesday) and then vacation until after Seollal!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4787 on: January 30, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
I put hot packs inside my shoes because I feel like my toes are about to snap off. 30 more days until I'm back home with my nice wood stove.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4788 on: January 30, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
I put hot packs inside my shoes because I feel like my toes are about to snap off. 30 more days until I'm back home with my nice wood stove.

My family had a wood stove growing up, and I loved it.  Nothing beats wood heat.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4789 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »

During my first year at my first public school job in Korea several years ago, the teachers/staff at my then-school went on an overnight trip during the summer and I remember the bus we rented had a noraebang system in it. All the Korean teachers/staff who went on the trip had to get up and go to the front of the bus to sing, but luckily they didn't make me do it.
Haha, I want to do it for my birthday with a group of friends. I had a Korean friend who looked it up on naver and didn't see anything though.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4790 on: January 30, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
Nothing beats wood heat.
Neat peat heat is a treat: it beats wood heat. I repeat: peat beats wood heat.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4791 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »
Nothing beats wood heat.
Neat peat heat is a treat: it beats wood heat. I repeat: peat beats wood heat.

Dr. Seuss would be proud.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4792 on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=243020&utm_source=dable

A Head of English at a Korean university wrote a bit criticizing Google Translate.

It literally reads like she used Google Translate to write it.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4793 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:04 AM »
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=243020&utm_source=dable

A Head of English at a Korean university wrote a bit criticizing Google Translate.

This is wonderful.

Offline Sir-Mark

• Waygookin
« Reply #4794 on: January 31, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »

That's hilarious. I think it speaks more to how robotic the Korean approach to learning English is than the merit of Google Translate.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4795 on: February 01, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
There are three students that I was hoping wouldn't be back this following school year, but, nope, that's not going to happen. I knew that the likelihood was less than 5%, so I didn't have any expectations, but there was still that small bit of disappointment when it was confirmed that they weren't going anywhere.

I feel like I'm gonna have to be Major Payne this year. Crossed with a little Betty Boop. That way they won't see what's coming until it's too late.

This year already feels like it's gonna be a whole lot of squeeze cheese on crackers.

Offline klx001

• Adventurer
  • what is life.
« Reply #4796 on: February 01, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »

she seems a bit MORE bitter concerned about the student not learning/knowing korean than she is about the students' overall English ability/ ability to to teach English/ ability as a teacher or for using google translate to pass her classes.

idk tho.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4797 on: February 03, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
Man, does anyone else remember when this was a forum for expats in Korea, and not a political message board? Those were the days, huh?

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4798 on: February 04, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
FS: MOVING SALE! Used socks. Excellent condition. Worn only a few hundred time during walking, speed walking, and occasionally moonwalking. Cannot ship, pickup only. Fairly similar colour. Sizes are relatively close. Cannot see holes while stationary. Won't last long. Act ASAP! I have been contacted several times, so you may be locked in a cutthroat bidding war.

Purchase price: 50,000 won.
Selling price: 55,000 won (OBO [above 54,500])
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4799 on: February 05, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
Seven more months,..... one more semester.  I've been here long enough, & I'm looking forward to going home.

However, the thought of job-searching, continuing education, etc. is enough to send me into a panic attack.

I hope this next semester goes fast.