September 25, 2018, 05:56:21 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772067 times)

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4740 on: December 27, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
That's because they're not allowed to do it.  If you teach outside the contracted hours you get paid 20 000 won or over that, if it is different.  This year I had night classes at three different schools, one middle school was two classes from 7-8:30 pm and I got 30 000 won for each class.  I taught at one high school from 6:30 to 8pm and was paid 40 000 won for each hour.  At my high school, I taught from 6:50 to 8pm and got 55 000 won for that.  They were all because I was outside the contracted hours, even though I was teaching under 22 hours (18 hours to be exact). 

Also, 6000 won is for non-teaching overtime, if they pay you that for teaching, it is wrong.  I judged at my school debate contest from 6pm to 9pm and got paid the 6000 won for each hour.  I was fine with that as that's what it's there for.

Your contract isn't the standard EPIK one right?

The EPIK contract is unfortunately really clear about overtime pay...20,000 only if you go above contracted teaching hours (22).  It specifically says that we are obliged to work outside normal working hours if required  :sad:

That's not really accurate. Yes, you are obliged to work above your 22 contractual teaching hours; so long as it still falls within your delineated contract hours (i.e. the hours your supposed to be at work) and they're paying you the designated contracted rate for overtime (i.e. the 20,000 won per hour). However, you are never obliged to work outside your delineated contract hours without your consent. For example, if they want you to do night classes that fall outside your contracted hours, you can choose to not do so. That said, they can also choose not to renew your as well. However, it is not uncommon for schools to pay a higher rate for overtime than the designated 20,000 won per hour if you are working outside the contracted hours. I know when I was working in PS and my contract stated 20,000 won per hour for overtime, I did after school classes over my 22 at one of my schools for 20,000 won per hour (because they fell in my contractual hours) and then I did night classes at my other school for 30,000 won per hour (obviously, they fell outside my normal contract hours).

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4741 on: December 27, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
Couldn't decide between a macaron ice cream sandwich or a mini ice cream cake (banana chocolate!!), so I did the 'murican thing and got both.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4742 on: December 27, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Couldn't decide between a macaron ice cream sandwich or a mini ice cream cake (banana chocolate!!), so I did the 'murican thing and got both.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty.  Oops!  Not the best thing to write in Christmas week when people should eat what they want.  Don't press 'post'.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4743 on: December 27, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty.  Oops!  Not the best thing to write in Christmas week when people should eat what they want.  Don't press 'post'.

Idiot...

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4744 on: December 27, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
I made a curry last night. This morning, my apartment smelled of curry, so I left the windows open. It's going to be freezing when I get home as it takes a while for the ondol to fire up. As a result, I might go for a walk while it heats up. Such is life on this sunny Wednesday. This is where my mind is at after doing absolutely nothing at work for nearly 4 weeks.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4745 on: December 27, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idiot...

There is a fine difference between a macaron and a macaron ice cream sandwich.  Legitimately. 

Also, the only place I've ever had worthwhile macarons was a place down in Mokpo.  All the fillings were cream cheese based and I've yet to ever have superior. 

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4746 on: December 27, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty. 

I kind of agree -- I'm not really crazy about macarons, either (macaroons are actually something different, but I assume you meant macarons). One of my Korean co-workers likes to give me a box of macarons as a gift and has gifted me with 3 boxes of them (not all at once) in the past couple of years.  I've re-gifted the first two; I just got the 3rd box a couple of days ago, and I'm probably going to re-gift that one to someone else as well.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4747 on: December 27, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think one of the reasons why macarons tend to be on the pricier side is because they're made of almond flour.

Most of the rest comes down to making them. If you're not used to it and don't know how to control the climate of your kitchen, they're kind of a pain in the ass to make properly, at least for the layman. Most of the macarons I've eaten are clearly not made well, usually undercooked to avoid the hollow shell AND lack of chewiness, and not properly stored after the fact to prevent other problems (such as dry brittleness). 

Then pair all of that with the fact that baking is not a thing in Korea, and there you go.

I love macarons, but only when they're made well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:59:28 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4748 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
I will never understand macaroons.  For what they are, they seem ridiculously expensive here and not really that tasty. 

I kind of agree -- I'm not really crazy about macarons, either (macaroons are actually something different, but I assume you meant macarons). One of my Korean co-workers likes to give me a box of macarons as a gift and has gifted me with 3 boxes of them (not all at once) in the past couple of years.  I've re-gifted the first two; I just got the 3rd box a couple of days ago, and I'm probably going to re-gift that one to someone else as well.
Macaroons are delicious too!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4749 on: December 28, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
Reached that point in class where my brain is melting.

I think the whole class feels similarly-- midterms next week.  :huh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4750 on: December 28, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »

Melting like a macaron ice cream sandwich or just a badly made macaron left out in the sun?

:P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4751 on: December 28, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

Really? Tomorrow is the last day for me then 3 weeks off. Why is yours so late?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4752 on: December 28, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »

Cause I'm a student now lol. Keep up with my life, dammit.

Either way, Dave, either way.  :laugh:

Btw, CO2 found our happy ending.  :-*

On sale at Hi Mart apparently:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4753 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »

Either way, Dave, either way.  :laugh:

Btw, CO2 found our happy ending.  :-*

On sale at Hi Mart apparently:

You're right, you're a student. Good luck on your tests. I hope you test positive.

Also, I don't want a sale happy ending, I want a genuine one.  :afro:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4754 on: December 28, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

I understand because I find that after an hour or two of Korean study my head explodes.  When I was sitting my TOPIK test years ago, I was ok for about a couple of hours and then my brain just broke at the beginning of the reading part.  So I copied the Portuguese guy in front of me.   :-[  Erm, don't do that at home, kids! 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4755 on: December 28, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »

I understand because I find that after an hour or two of Korean study my head explodes.  When I was sitting my TOPIK test years ago, I was ok for about a couple of hours and then my brain just broke at the beginning of the reading part.  So I copied the Portuguese guy in front of me.   :-[  Erm, don't do that at home, kids!

Made it to the 4th week before my mind started glazing over!  :laugh:
About 3.5 hours of Korean a day (after subtracting break time) plus whatever time I devote to studying outside of class to try and retain what I can; I feel fairly knackered by each day's end and have rediscovered the benefits of napping.

Practicing music and just zoning out for a few hours probably keeps me from losing my mind.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4756 on: December 28, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »

About 3.5 hours of Korean a day (after subtracting break time) plus whatever time I devote to studying outside of class to try and retain what I can; I feel fairly knackered by each day's end and have rediscovered the benefits of napping.

Sounds to me like you're on the verge of breaking through to the part where it sorta comes naturally, and the studying/learning becomes almost passive, like listening to a lecture in your native language.

When I was in the Navy, I studied Arabic at the Defense Language Institute. That was nothing but Arabic classes, eight hours a day, five days a weeks, for 18 months. I can definitely sympathize with reaching the point in language study where your brain just goes "lolnope," but in my experience it came shortly before reaching that "oh okay, I can do this now" level, haha.

Fighting!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4757 on: December 28, 2017, 01:55:12 PM »

Sounds to me like you're on the verge of breaking through to the part where it sorta comes naturally, and the studying/learning becomes almost passive, like listening to a lecture in your native language.

When I was in the Navy, I studied Arabic at the Defense Language Institute. That was nothing but Arabic classes, eight hours a day, five days a weeks, for 18 months. I can definitely sympathize with reaching the point in language study where your brain just goes "lolnope," but in my experience it came shortly before reaching that "oh okay, I can do this now" level, haha.

Fighting!

Yep, I had that with Swedish.  It is almost like a 'click' and then everything becomes so lovely and like a different world.  The bit before the final 'click' is really frustrating. 

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4758 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
My plans as soon as I get home.  I think I have the flu.  I visited the school nurse, but I don't have a fever. I hate being sick.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4759 on: December 28, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
My plans as soon as I get home.  I think I have the flu.  I visited the school nurse, but I don't have a fever. I hate being sick.

The “full burrito”.

Nice.