December 15, 2018, 04:28:16 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 852474 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4740 on: March 27, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
So today I learned that a lot of schools in my area conduct urine tests for nicotine.

The admin lady in our teachers' room, on the other side of the room, has been sniffing every 20 seconds for the last three days.  Do you think I could sneak over and stuff some toilet roll up her nose?

Still continues to sniff every twenty seconds for over two weeks now.  Toilet roll maybe not work anymore, how about a swimming towel?

She probably needs to see an allergist or ENT at this point, lol.

That, or she's not sleeping with an air purifier.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4741 on: March 27, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
I have a couple of students who are making it a habit of coming into my office during lunch and after school. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but it's become all the time, and we're talking almost an hour each time, so it is cutting into the time I use to get work done here and there. I don't want to shoo them away, though, because both are rather low-level students, and it's encouraging that they want to spend time with me for as much English practice as possible... but at the same time, I'm beginning to suspect that their desire to spend time with me has more to do with childhood crushes than it does with actual English, lol.

I'm still battling out how to best limit how often or how long they come to visit me for without disparaging them from coming in altogether. It's so easy to give off the wrong impressions.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4742 on: March 28, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
I share an office with one of my coteachers, and we regularly have lower level students just coming to hang out and sit around. Sometimes they're studying, but a lot of the time they're just kind of loafing around. It doesn't bother me too much, and when they get too chatty with me I just tell them to go entertain themselves if I'm trying to get work done.

But yeah - it's tough. It's mildly annoying, but most of the time the students aren't really doing anything bad, so I feel guilty just kicking them out. But sometimes I'm really not in the mood to be entertaining.

I'd love it if they'd just busy themselves, but they insist on interacting with me for pretty much the entire time they're in my office. xD Like, it's cute, but yeah, it starts to grind when I've got work to do and they aren't really taking the hint. But it's like you said, they're kids and they're not doing anything wrong. They just really want to interact, and I don't want to discourage that.

But I'm also an introvert, so I really need a little time to myself every day. Doesn't matter if I'm working in that time as long as I'm in my bubble, so having some quiet time to get work done doubles as quiet time to unwind a bit, too.

I'm just gonna have to politely tell them when I'm too busy to chat, and hope that they don't take that to mean that I don't ever have time to chat. Maybe I can give them an alternative time to come in, as if I'm penciling in a reschedule, lol. That way they know that I'm fine with them visiting, but that not all times are good times for it.

If I'm still here next year, I might even create office hours for chatting and whatever, make it part of my introduction so that students will feel more welcome to visit while also knowing exactly when it would be a good time to do so.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:18:50 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4743 on: March 30, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
I've been hit with enough energy to pursue some inspiration lately. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to actually get some shit done over the weekend.

In other news, all of my students think that drawing is my hobby. I have no idea why they think that.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4744 on: March 30, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
This site is boring. RIP waygook.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #4745 on: March 30, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »

In other news, all of my students think that drawing is my hobby. I have no idea why they think that.

That's better than them thinking that "bees" was your major (all because I told them I was in the beekeeping club in college).

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4746 on: March 30, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
This sounds exactly like that one student we all know and love who insists on bringing a classroom down with their "teacher... game is booooring. :blank:".

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4747 on: March 30, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

That's better than them thinking that "bees" was your major (all because I told them I was in the beekeeping club in college).

It would be amazing to be able to say I majored in bees.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4748 on: March 30, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
This sounds exactly like that one student we all know and love who insists on bringing a classroom down with their "teacher... game is booooring. :blank:".

Where's the buzz to kill. It's either unlimited ramblings on Trump or Chinguetti talking to herself in this and the ranting thread.

NO JAM.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4749 on: March 30, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »

To be fair, this thread can certainly hit the boring threshold.  There are random comments that can generate some conversation, but often comments that make you wonder why someone took the time to type them.  Then you remember it's the pointless rambling thread and it makes sense.  There is another related site that has an ongoing chat function that makes this thread seem like a carnival of fascination. 

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4750 on: March 30, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Where are the characters of yesteryear? Where are the greats like Sonny and Ramblesofftopic? They were consigned to the waygook archives by the kimchi dzigae bore jobs who like to make their own marrkolee on Sundays. We need a new hero. Someone to put some spice into this bland site of briefcase wielding green tea drinking let's take the bus instead of a taxi generation of waygooks. At the least KimMandu reporting someone in Starbucks for monetizing a 37 view youtube video to the Korean ministry of foreign affairs. Anything man.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4751 on: March 30, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »

And who basically doesn't participate in anything unless it has to do with themselves or complaining, but still, it's everyone else's fault that everything is boring. xD

It would be amazing to be able to say I majored in bees.

That would be unbeelievable.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4752 on: March 30, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »
I don't know why, but some of my students who were giving me trouble last week suddenly decided that they wanted to be little balls of sunshine today. Perhaps my CT said something, because she could see how angry I was before. I'm all for this if it means the noisemakers are gonna make the GOOD kind of noise
The World Ends With You

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4753 on: March 30, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
Where's the buzz to kill.
NO JAM.
Well, you're not entirely wrong, maybe, but it's impolite to point it out!
And that's unfair: "NO JAM" is an automatic argument winner. Replying with "Yes Jam" just doesn't cut it.  :sad:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4754 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
Where are the characters of yesteryear? Where are the greats like Sonny and Ramblesofftopic? They were consigned to the waygook archives by the kimchi dzigae bore jobs who like to make their own marrkolee on Sundays. We need a new hero. Someone to put some spice into this bland site of briefcase wielding green tea drinking let's take the bus instead of a taxi generation of waygooks. At the least KimMandu reporting someone in Starbucks for monetizing a 37 view youtube video to the Korean ministry of foreign affairs. Anything man.

Oooooh. True.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4755 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Smaug was pretty awesome, and I liked the... randomness? ... of Splongebob's advice too. And Frozencat was great because he was both eloquent *and* super easy to rile up.  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4756 on: March 30, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
I don't know, the one I miss the most at the moment is Donovan. He knew how to be funny without being a jerk about it.

But genderpotato / meep were good, too.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4757 on: March 30, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
I don't know, the one I miss the most at the moment is Donovan. He knew how to be funny without being a jerk about it.
Yep, Donovan was great too, but... I mean, who stops endlessly posting on the interwebs just because they had a baby?  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4758 on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
EnglishRose
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4759 on: March 30, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
EnglishRose
Yes

Yep, Donovan was great too, but... I mean, who stops endlessly posting on the interwebs just because they had a baby?  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Also, yes.