November 13, 2018, 01:30:46 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807568 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4700 on: March 02, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
First day back, and I have one class today, with the rest of my classes cancelled due to ceremonies and orientation. On the one hand, that's better than having the five classes that are on my schedule. On the other hand, that means if I do my "First day of class" lesson with this one class, then next week it will the the one class starting the textbook.

I'm mildly annoyed at the prospect of preparing a textbook lesson for one class a week earlier than every other class every week from here on out. That's probably a silly thing to be annoyed by, but I think I'm going to just wing it and do something different with this class today. Then I'll just teach the same lessons next week, and all my classes will be starting off on the same foot once textbook lessons begin the week after that.

EDIT to clarify a bit: I only see each of my classes once a week. My first lesson of the year is always going over the classroom rules, then a quick cumulative review and activity based on what we learned the previous year. I don't want to do that with just one friggin' class this week, and then have that be the only class starting textbook lessons next week.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:12:49 AM by Mister Tim »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4701 on: March 02, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
First day back, and I have one class today, with the rest of my classes cancelled due to ceremonies and orientation. On the one hand, that's better than having the five classes that are on my schedule. On the other hand, that means if I do my "First day of class" lesson with this one class, then next week it will the the one class starting the textbook.

just do a filler class with that one class next time, so everything lines up again. way too hard to keep track of everything otherwise

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4702 on: March 02, 2018, 10:13:47 AM »

just do a filler class with that one class next time, so everything lines up again. way too hard to keep track of everything otherwise

Yeah, I'm going through my old materials now to see what I've got on hand to work something like that out, haha.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4703 on: March 02, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »
scateggories always goes down well

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4704 on: March 02, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
Checked the mail today.

A letter from National Health arrived addressed to my 9 year old son, informing him of an overpayment for services, and that he could apply for a refund of 2400 won.

He was quite excited.

Edit: Changed wording while typing and didn't clean up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:01:11 PM by JNM »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4705 on: March 02, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Checked the mail today.

A letter from National Health addressed to my 9 year old son, informing him of an overpaid for services, and that he could apply for a refund of 2400 won.

He was quite excited.

Sweet. You can get some decent kid crap for that  ;D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4706 on: March 03, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »
"Apocalypse Now" might suit your requirements, but the horror part is a bit more about psychology, and a bit less about creature features than a casual viewer might appreciate. Still, was a good flick!

Also, "Meui: The Legend of a Portrait" is a Korean horror flick that takes place partly during the Vietnam war era. It doesn't deal with the war directly, but it is partly set in that era so maybe give that a look too!

Thanks, I'll give both of those a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417072/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've seen this movie before, lol. Completely forgot about it. A lot of the acting and character interactions were a little too campy and focused on unnecessary hysterics for me, but it's good for what it is and I know some people who would like it. Thanks for the rec and reminder!

While not a movie, I think there's a couple episodes of the X-Files that deal with Nam vets. One of them has the always superb Tony Todd.

I haven't seen X-Files in forever. Might be time for me to revisit it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:13:11 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4707 on: March 05, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »
date=1519694332]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417072/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

While not a movie, I think there's a couple episodes of the X-Files that deal with Nam vets. One of them has the always superb Tony Todd.

I haven't seen X-Files in forever. Might be time for me to revisit it.
[/quote]I watched about... 7 seasons of X-Files (maybe 6) and gave it up. I just never really got all that into it and it was just enough for me.

Online Renma

• Waygookin
« Reply #4708 on: March 05, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »
I.want....

... a good horror movie that takes place during the Vietnam War that also isn't ****** torture gore.

I mean a creature feature might be good, but no rip-offs of Predator please. Which would be hard, I admit.

Pretty sure if they did make a film like that, though, it would end up being some weird Children of the Corn shit.

@denimdaze: That sounds incredibly cute.  :laugh:

Jacob's ladder sounds close

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4709 on: March 06, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »
I watched about... 7 seasons of X-Files (maybe 6) and gave it up. I just never really got all that into it and it was just enough for me.

Six or seven seasons is still a pretty attempt, though. xD

I'm the same, though, I enjoyed X-Files in the beginning, but it got boring and lost its edge when they started to deviate from the characters' earlier personalities and added sitcom-like comedy. I mean, I get it, you want to try to flesh the characters out and give them more background and whatever, but the direction they took was too far out of the way of what established the series to begin with.

And then they went really weird with it and killed it altogether, lol. But it had a good run.

I both appreciate and admire Jacob's Ladder, but I found it kind of boring. I don't think I'm much of a fan of slow-burn psychological horrors.

I'm like a horror film snob, but like the crackhead kind. You know, the type that appreciates moonshine better than a good scotch. But it's still gotta be good moonshine, none of that bathtub-in-the-boonies-shack stuff for me.

I liked Drag Me To Hell. 'Nough said.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4710 on: March 06, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
I watched about... 7 seasons of X-Files (maybe 6) and gave it up. I just never really got all that into it and it was just enough for me.

I'm the same, though, I enjoyed X-Files in the beginning, but it got boring and lost its edge when they started to deviate from the characters' earlier personalities and added sitcom-like comedy. I mean, I get it, you want to try to flesh the characters out and give them more background and whatever, but the direction they took was too far out of the way of what established the series to begin with.

And then they went really weird with it and killed it altogether, lol. But it had a good run.

I both appreciate and admire Jacob's Ladder, but I found it kind of boring. I don't think I'm much of a fan of slow-burn psychological horrors.

I'm like a horror film snob, but like the crackhead kind. You know, the type that appreciates moonshine better than a good scotch. But it's still gotta be good moonshine, none of that bathtub-in-the-boonies-shack stuff for me.

I liked Drag Me To Hell. 'Nough said.

Isn't the bathtub-in-the-boonies-shack kind the most authentic type of moonshine? :p

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4711 on: March 06, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »

Yeah, I had some friends that thought it was kind of weird that I stopped that far in, but I had never loved it, and when you're done, you're done. Especially since I heard that the revival season, 10, was pretty off. So that didnt help spark it back up for me. And now no one can say that I didn't give it a good try, haha.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4712 on: March 06, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
Isn't the bathtub-in-the-boonies-shack kind the most authentic type of moonshine? :p

Only if you don't mind the prospect of turning your brain to mush and going blind.  :P

Yeah, I had some friends that thought it was kind of weird that I stopped that far in, but I had never loved it, and when you're done, you're done. Especially since I heard that the revival season, 10, was pretty off. So that didnt help spark it back up for me. And now no one can say that I didn't give it a good try, haha.

Yeah, you didn't miss out on anything, no love lost for sure. xD

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4713 on: March 06, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
My school is turning a mini unused room into an after school classroom for me. The most i'll have is 8 students which is great but...I can't help but think it will all go wrong.

So i'm getting a big table, a new computer for that room, no TV but a massive monitor, new chairs, new whiteboard.

All of this is super great, and I'm grateful they're using some of the budget on me...but I just know somehow, somewhere, when all of this money is being spent then something is going to go wrong.

The table will be too big, or the chairs too small, the monitor will be mini, or the students wont be able to all fit in the mini room anyway. There's going to be some ridiculous thing that I'm going to have to make work and I just can't be arsed.  :laugh: :laugh:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4714 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
I just know somehow, somewhere, when all of this money is being spent then something is going to go wrong.

The table will be too big, or the chairs too small, the monitor will be mini, or the students wont be able to all fit in the mini room anyway. There's going to be some ridiculous thing that I'm going to have to make work and I just can't be arsed.  :laugh: :laugh:

More likely some older teacher who outranks you will find out about your fancy new computer and/or monitor, and you'll show up one day to find it either missing or replaced with their older, sh!ttier one.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4715 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
My school is doing a book character dress up day, and I decided to keep it simple and recognizable (basic) and do Alice in Wonderland. But I need to find a wig. My other option is to do Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, as we are reading through that as a sort of novel study/reading practice, but she isn't as recognizable and I'm worried even my class won't get it.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4716 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »
I noticed that my new co-teacher comes into class with a pink recorder (as in the instrument). I asked him why he brings it in and he said "to hit the students with it". Interesting, and, dare I say it, illegal.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4717 on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
There's something quite odd about racing back from lunch, going through bends at 100mph and blasting through a red (along with Korean drivers, I might add) to get back in time for your kindy class, then feigning a huge smile and sitting and singing kiddie songs with 5 year olds for 20 minutes.

The kindergarten lady was like, "Oh, we have a class today?"

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4718 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
Interesting revelation today, a lot of my advanced students don't care for BINGO, even though that's the number 1 filler game my students beg for in general. I'm wondering if they'd like it more if I did a super speed version of it.

But since they've separated the advanced students into their own classes this year, I think I'm just gonna abandon BINGO for those classes altogether and experiment with it another time. This will give me a chance to play games that were met with lukewarm results in the past because a lot of the students considered them too difficult.

They asked for hard. I'm not gonna hold back, lol. xD

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4719 on: March 13, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
Someone has been smoking in the downstairs women's bathroom at my main school. I could smell it as soon as I walked in.  Evidence was probably flushed.