July 16, 2018, 10:30:02 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 730286 times)

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4600 on: December 06, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
Another school trip...again, I'm left behind in an empty school with just the admin.

I was invited last week... a trip that EVERYBODY in the school has known about for the past month (so did I but only by overhearing conversations)
They've all had time to prepare for this overnight trip, then last week Im suddenly told about it. It turned out, though, I wasn't supposed to be invited, and there actually wasnt enough space for me to come along. No one said anything to me of course, not until the day before...So tired of the lack of communication in this ****** place!

Is this normal? For the foreign teacher to just be ignored when it comes to school trips? I am notified about teacher-only outtings though, usually a day or two just before the outting while everybody else has known 2-3 weeks in advance and I'm just supposed to agree happily and go along with nobody caring if I have plans or not.

Count yourself lucky. I was coerced into going on mine. I don't fancy being ignored or having really basic and awkward conversations with my co-workers with no escape clause other than "I might take a rest in my room".

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4601 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »
Another school trip...again, I'm left behind in an empty school with just the admin.

I was invited last week... a trip that EVERYBODY in the school has known about for the past month (so did I but only by overhearing conversations)
They've all had time to prepare for this overnight trip, then last week Im suddenly told about it. It turned out, though, I wasn't supposed to be invited, and there actually wasnt enough space for me to come along. No one said anything to me of course, not until the day before...So tired of the lack of communication in this ****** place!

Is this normal? For the foreign teacher to just be ignored when it comes to school trips? I am notified about teacher-only outtings though, usually a day or two just before the outting while everybody else has known 2-3 weeks in advance and I'm just supposed to agree happily and go along with nobody caring if I have plans or not.

I think it depends on your school or whether you pay into the teachers' fund every month.  My school's trip was cancelled because it was supposed to be the week after the original uni entrance test, but because of the earthquake, they cancelled the whole trip, replacing it with dinner next Tuesday, on the first day of the test period.  :-[ First, I said I wouldn't go and then I said I'd go.  >:(  Now I wanted to go.  I still get annoyed by the cliquy nature of Koreans in school.  Sometimes if the students finish early, the level 2 teachers (poojangneem and homeroom teachers) will have lunch together and I'm at a loose end, but don't get invited, even though I teach 16 hours of classes to the level 2 students, which is more than the actual level 2 teachers do.  It's stupid, but it's the culture, and you have to get used to it. 

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4602 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

Honestly, be glad. At first, I felt like you, then I thought about ridiculously awkward it would be, with most people wanting to only speak Korean but some feeling guilty for excluding you and then talking to you because they feel bad, all the while wanting to go back to the Korean conversation and blend in and join in with everyone else, until eventual you are left on your own. And this is even if you speak Korean and they know it lol
Honestly, having the school entirely to yourself is great. Enjoy it. It'd be even better if they just let you stay home, I know some schools did that.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4603 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
Just wondering why people on here post newspaper articles. Seems a bit weird reading the morning newspaper and then popping round to your neighbors house and handing over the newspaper for them to read. Why not just comment on the comment page on the newspaper article page with other people who read the newspaper without an assist?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4604 on: December 07, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
That's what a forum is. A group of people who interact and share opinions.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4605 on: December 07, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
So what's a comment section for?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4606 on: December 07, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
This is a comments section.

Also, if someone posts a Korea Times article or Daily Mail article for people to comment on, then I don't have to click on a link and give them a hit. 

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4607 on: December 07, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »
This is a comments section.

Also, if someone posts a Korea Times article or Daily Mail article for people to comment on, then I don't have to click on a link and give them a hit.

That makes sense I suppose.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4608 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
To comment.

People here have a shared expereince of being teachers in Korea and most of us are around a similar age. So it might make the comments of those here more interesting to us personally.

Is it really that hard to understand? This is some Pecan style comprehension.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4609 on: December 07, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
To comment.

People here have a shared expereince of being teachers in Korea and most of us are around a similar age. So it might make the comments of those here more interesting to us personally.

Well I understood the title of this thread.  :rolleyes:

I just thought if i were to read an article on a Korean newspaper website I'd just comment there instead of coming here. As everyone already there would have something to say.

I personally feel it's more a matter of remaining anonymous by posting your tripe on here instead of there with your facebook name. Of course one could just make a fake facebook account but still.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4610 on: December 07, 2017, 08:40:04 AM »
That one teacher who talks at about the same decibel range as a commercial airplane taking off. My ears.  :cry:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4611 on: December 07, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
To comment.

I just thought if i were to read an article on a Korean newspaper website I'd just comment there instead of coming here. As everyone already there would have something to say.

I personally feel it's more a matter of remaining anonymous by posting your tripe on here instead of there with your facebook name. Of course one could just make a fake facebook account but still.

I've posted a few time of the KT facebook page. Most stories there get zero comments. The ones that do, half are just people tagging someone to read it or complete dopes and a lot of like Philippinos going "Oh. This is terrible. God bless". Which is fine, but hardly condusive to discussion.
More discussion happens here.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4612 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
I've posted a few time of the KT facebook page. Most stories there get zero comments. The ones that do, half are just people tagging someone to read it or complete dopes and a lot of like Philippinos going "Oh. This is terrible. God bless". Which is fine, but hardly condusive to discussion.

I don't understand why people don't just share it as a personal message. You're absolutely right about half the comments being other people's names. I want to see insight into the article, not "Bethany Smith James Woods Peter Griffith"

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4613 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
To comment.

I hear ya. You've twisted my arm and I shall remove my Pecan tinted glasses.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4614 on: December 07, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
I am just not ready for work today.

But at least my hair is all swishy and not frizzy. Perfect for the head-tossing.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4615 on: December 08, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
TGIFF!!!
The countdown begins for vacation and starting a new job. Looking forward to both, the new job though, with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:18:58 PM by travelinpantsgirl »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4616 on: December 08, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
TGIFF!!!
The countdown begins for vacation and starting a new job. Looking forward to both, the new though, with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

Is the new job still Korea-based?

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4617 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
Came in today to find out that the 4-day post-Christmas Kindergarten camp has been cancelled. Huzzah! Happy Friday!    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4618 on: December 08, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
TGIFF!!!
The countdown begins for vacation and starting a new job. Looking forward to both, the new though, with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

Is the new job still Korea-based?
I don't have one yet, but I have several leads, one is Japan and one is Korea based. Ideally, the Korea one is the one I want. It would drastically reduce my commute and the pay is much better and I am not completely ready to go to Japan yet. 2019, would be better. I was just positing that leaving this one and starting a new one is both scary and exciting. Especially now, since I do not have a new one at the moment...haha.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4619 on: December 08, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
My Co-Teacher is not cut out to show the kids how to properly sing a pop song.