December 19, 2018, 09:44:34 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 858733 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4560 on: December 20, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
You guys have toilets? I have to pee behind a tree at one of my travel schools.

You guys have trees? I have to pee into a sewer drain by the side of the road.

If I make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee my pants in front of the students.

Funny. If my students make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee in their pants in front of everyone.  :undecided:

My daughter (~4 YO at the time) woke me up one night to accuse her younger sister (2) of peeing her bed.

She was sure if it... you know how little sisters can be!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4561 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I received a very well written email from one of my former middle school students.  Wishing me Merry Christmas and saying she misses me and thanking me for helping her get into a study abroad program in the states next year (I'm sure it honestly had little to do with me; she's a very bright student and I'm certain she studies a lot.  All I did was practice interviewing her a couple times outside of class).  She also included some photos of her class on field trips.  This was one of my favorite classes. 

[DELUGE OF FEELINGS]  :cry:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4562 on: December 21, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
Let me see a show of hands for those who feel as though they have done absolutely NOTHING all year. Come on, up with your hands.  Here I sit, surfing the Internet and drinking Maxim coffee (shudder) on full-pay, yet again. It's been like this for weeks.

How many actual classes have I taught this year? F ALL! This job has been one big day off from the start. National holidays, school holidays, school festivals, contractual vacation days, test days, self-study test days, days off so students can practice dancing, days off for mock SAT tests, swimming days, sports day.....man, I'm getting paid to do nothing!!!

I don't mind the odd day off from teaching, but this job is the odd day of teaching in an ocean of days off.

How is one meant to pimp up this job on a resume? Cross-cultural skills? Help me here.

How is one meant to ever "work" again? I mean, getting asked to do ANYTHING in the future by an employer will be a huge stress.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4563 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
How is one meant to ever "work" again? I mean, getting asked to do ANYTHING in the future by an employer will be a huge stress.

YES. My Co-Teacher asked me to make a sign for a disabled student so he can wave it around in the Xmas plays tomorrow.

Immediate thought?  :rolleyes:  :huh: Oh, man..................

7 seconds later: Kevin, you don't do shit. Just shut up and make it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4564 on: December 21, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
Let me see a show of hands for those who feel as though they have done absolutely NOTHING all year. Come on, up with your hands.  Here I sit, surfing the Internet and drinking Maxim coffee (shudder) on full-pay, yet again. It's been like this for weeks.

How many actual classes have I taught this year? F ALL! This job has been one big day off from the start. National holidays, school holidays, school festivals, contractual vacation days, test days, self-study test days, days off so students can practice dancing, days off for mock SAT tests, swimming days, sports day.....man, I'm getting paid to do nothing!!!

I don't mind the odd day off from teaching, but this job is the odd day of teaching in an ocean of days off.

How is one meant to pimp up this job on a resume? Cross-cultural skills? Help me here.

Trust me, I don't think you want to learn what the other side of that equation looks like. Learn a new skill, start a blog, use your free time well.
Of the 8 hours I work, I'm effectively teaching, planning, or helping out in some way for all 8 of them. Just this week I finally get a bit of a break due to Christmas stuff, but... damn.
I wish I did nothing here at school because there isn't enough hours after for me to accomplish everything I want to in a day.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4565 on: December 21, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »

Amen brother. I've got haemorrhoids from sitting here doing nothing for the last 2 months.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4566 on: December 26, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »
It's really good that elderly people in Korea get out and exercise so much.

But...my heart is always in my throat when I see them walking backwards.  I wish they wouldn't do that  :sad:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4567 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
It's really good that elderly people in Korea get out and exercise so much.

But...my heart is always in my throat when I see them walking backwards.  I wish they wouldn't do that  :sad:

I kind of understand it when going up hills, but just going down the normal side walk....  :undecided: :huh: :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4568 on: December 26, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
I learned how to say "playboy" in Chinese.

I'm sure this will come in handy?  :laugh:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4569 on: December 26, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

YES. My Co-Teacher asked me to make a sign for a disabled student so he can wave it around in the Xmas plays tomorrow.

I was like that too. My school decided that they wanted an extra curricular English class, 2 periods a week, for any student who wanted that too.
At first I thought, man, I can't be bothered with that, but then immediately thought, great, something more to do.

Then they said, it will be after 5pm twice a week. They haven't asked if I want to do that, but have said I will be doing this. I've been trying to negotiate to get it within the school day, as my teaching hours every week is in the single digits, but my school offers a lot of extra stuff, and keep saying that it's impossible to put before 5pm, and are willing to pay OT for it.
I don't need extra money, so I don't really want to do it, unless it is between the 9 - 5 :o

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4570 on: December 26, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

I was like that too. My school decided that they wanted an extra curricular English class, 2 periods a week, for any student who wanted that too.
At first I thought, man, I can't be bothered with that, but then immediately thought, great, something more to do.

Then they said, it will be after 5pm twice a week. They haven't asked if I want to do that, but have said I will be doing this. I've been trying to negotiate to get it within the school day, as my teaching hours every week is in the single digits, but my school offers a lot of extra stuff, and keep saying that it's impossible to put before 5pm, and are willing to pay OT for it.
I don't need extra money, so I don't really want to do it, unless it is between the 9 - 5 :o

Ah man I really hate stuff like this and actually think it's a bit sneaky of schools to do it.  Your regular teaching hours are under 22 I assume so your actual overtime pay for this will be something like 6,000 per hour.  I can't think of anyone who would want to stay after 5pm for that little amount.  Definitely not worth it.

But...apparently we can't refuse it. 

Awful situation that; I really feel for you  :sad:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4571 on: December 26, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

Ah man I really hate stuff like this and actually think it's a bit sneaky of schools to do it.  Your regular teaching hours are under 22 I assume so your actual overtime pay for this will be something like 6,000 per hour.  I can't think of anyone who would want to stay after 5pm for that little amount.  Definitely not worth it.

I'm in PS and in the contract, OT is at a fixed rate regardless of my weekly teaching hours. I could have 1 TH per week, and my OT rate is still 15,000 or 20,000 won (forget which) per lesson.
I'm pretty sure anything after 5pm has to be agreed upon by both parties though. However, it's been sprung on me at the end of the day (all the teachers have gone home early. It's just me and the admin lady left here), and I don't see my school until winter camp. >.< And even then, I don't think the person to talk to about this will be here then.
Apparently, everything about it has been decided, all the paperwork has been done (haven't signed anything about it), and it will start the first full week of school in March. >.<

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4572 on: December 26, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »

I'm in PS and in the contract, OT is at a fixed rate regardless of my weekly teaching hours. I could have 1 TH per week, and my OT rate is still 15,000 or 20,000 won (forget which) per lesson.
I'm pretty sure anything after 5pm has to be agreed upon by both parties though. However, it's been sprung on me at the end of the day (all the teachers have gone home early. It's just me and the admin lady left here), and I don't see my school until winter camp. >.< And even then, I don't think the person to talk to about this will be here then.
Apparently, everything about it has been decided, all the paperwork has been done (haven't signed anything about it), and it will start the first full week of school in March. >.<

Yeah I would have thought so too considering it's outside of your contracted hours. Damn.

Hopefully it might be that they forget all about it by the time March rolls around or no students show up so you can just leave.  Fingers crossed!

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4573 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
I've found out I'll only have three 1st grade middle school students for my camp.  It's hard to be motivated for that.

I'll do my best to make it fun for them, but I'm not optimistic.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4574 on: December 26, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

Yeah I would have thought so too considering it's outside of your contracted hours. Damn.

Hopefully it might be that they forget all about it by the time March rolls around or no students show up so you can just leave.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks! I'll probably talk to the co-ordinator at the education office about it. I'm willing to do it during the work day, but not after 5pm.

At the same time, I don't want to rock the boat and hope no students sign up / join. (there is very little interest in English by the students at this school); although, I'm a little worried, thinking that might force some students to join in some way. >.< They want the students to act out plays in front of the school / parents / other schools at a multi-school festival (small rural area, so the schools in the area join together for festivals).

I also know nothing about acting, directing plays, putting on a play, and plays themselves. :P

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4575 on: December 26, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »

That's because they're not allowed to do it.  If you teach outside the contracted hours you get paid 20 000 won or over that, if it is different.  This year I had night classes at three different schools, one middle school was two classes from 7-8:30 pm and I got 30 000 won for each class.  I taught at one high school from 6:30 to 8pm and was paid 40 000 won for each hour.  At my high school, I taught from 6:50 to 8pm and got 55 000 won for that.  They were all because I was outside the contracted hours, even though I was teaching under 22 hours (18 hours to be exact). 

Also, 6000 won is for non-teaching overtime, if they pay you that for teaching, it is wrong.  I judged at my school debate contest from 6pm to 9pm and got paid the 6000 won for each hour.  I was fine with that as that's what it's there for.

I don't have my contract on me, but outside of contracted hours has to be agreed to by everyone, right Dave?

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4576 on: December 26, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
That's because they're not allowed to do it.  If you teach outside the contracted hours you get paid 20 000 won or over that, if it is different.  This year I had night classes at three different schools, one middle school was two classes from 7-8:30 pm and I got 30 000 won for each class.  I taught at one high school from 6:30 to 8pm and was paid 40 000 won for each hour.  At my high school, I taught from 6:50 to 8pm and got 55 000 won for that.  They were all because I was outside the contracted hours, even though I was teaching under 22 hours (18 hours to be exact). 

Also, 6000 won is for non-teaching overtime, if they pay you that for teaching, it is wrong.  I judged at my school debate contest from 6pm to 9pm and got paid the 6000 won for each hour.  I was fine with that as that's what it's there for.

Your contract isn't the standard EPIK one right?

The EPIK contract is unfortunately really clear about overtime pay...20,000 only if you go above contracted teaching hours (22).  It specifically says that we are obliged to work outside normal working hours if required  :sad:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4577 on: December 26, 2017, 03:31:27 PM »

Your contract isn't the standard EPIK one right?

The EPIK contract is unfortunately really clear about overtime pay...20,000 only if you go above contracted teaching hours (22).  It specifically says that we are obliged to work outside normal working hours if required  :sad:

Mine's not EPIK, but I think it is pretty much close to a standard EPIK one. However, as of next year, EPIK is taking over the hiring of the area, so the contract might change.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4578 on: December 26, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »
My travel school has heated toilet seats!

One of my travel schools had not only heated toilet seats, but soap AND classical music.   :laugh:

Yeah, my workplace also has heated toilet seats -- it actually gets too hot sometimes. My toilet in my apartment also came with a heated toilet seat when I moved to that apartment, although I never use that heating function.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4579 on: December 27, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »

Yeah, my workplace also has heated toilet seats -- it actually gets too hot sometimes. My toilet in my apartment also came with a heated toilet seat when I moved to that apartment, although I never use that heating function.

Oh man. You're lucky. I would never leave the bathroom in the morning if I had one of those.

My school is frigid right now.