September 23, 2018, 03:57:20 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771320 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4460 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
some deep-seeded homosexuality.
what a fabulous misspelling
Sounds painful ;/

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4461 on: November 20, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
 :police: *looks around lunch table*

:-* Kevin Teacher, the Science Teacher died on Saturday.

:police: Whattt????????????  :shocked: :cry:

:-* Yes, that's why she's not here.

:police: OMG, what happened?

:-* He had cancer for a long time.

:police: He?  :huh:

:-* Yes, Science teacher's father.

:police: FFS
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4462 on: November 20, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »

Pretty grave omission there. Seems almost intentional.
Perhaps your co-worker was attempting to gauge your romantic interest in the science teacher by seeing how you would react to news of her untimely death.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4463 on: November 20, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »

Classic.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4464 on: November 20, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »
Sitting at my desk thinking about my winter vacation and basically just googling random countries in Asia, hoping that I feel the urge to go to one of them.  Honestly can't be bothered though.

I know that travelling is good but the thing is, sometimes it feels like I'm doing it because everyone else does.  If you don't like travelling then what kind of monster are you???!!

I got a bit excited about Singapore but that quickly faded  :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4465 on: November 20, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
Sitting at my desk thinking about my winter vacation and basically just googling random countries in Asia, hoping that I feel the urge to go to one of them.  Honestly can't be bothered though.

I know that travelling is good but the thing is, sometimes it feels like I'm doing it because everyone else does.  If you don't like travelling then what kind of monster are you???!!

Cilacap.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4466 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
So, C02, what is the name of the restaurant man? Maybe I can check it out if I ever got the chance...

On another note, students were freaking at the first sign of snow a bit ago. It snowed for a good 30 seconds  :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4467 on: November 20, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
So, C02, what is the name of the restaurant man? Maybe I can check it out if I ever got the chance...

On another note, students were freaking at the first sign of snow a bit ago. It snowed for a good 30 seconds  :laugh:

The Ramsay one? Uhhhhhh.......... One sec.

Got it!

Ramsay came in/out the door on the right,behind the ajummas. I was about 3m out of frame on the right.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4468 on: November 20, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

Yeah, my first year I was all gungho about traveling and traveled SO MUCH but now I just kinda feel meh about it.  Maybe just need some time w/o travel to feel the travel bug again.  Or maybe I'm just getting old  :laugh:

Still haven't been to Europe at all yet though, so that's on the list for the future!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4469 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »

Yeah, my first year I was all gungho about traveling and traveled SO MUCH but now I just kinda feel meh about it.  Maybe just need some time w/o travel to feel the travel bug again.  Or maybe I'm just getting old  :laugh:

Still haven't been to Europe at all yet though, so that's on the list for the future!
I can relate.

I have little interest in traveling somewhere new during my vacation.  I simply want to get to my destination, so I can start my vacation and maximize my R&R.

Granted, I have traveled 25+ countries, so I don't feel as jazzed about exploring (been there, done that, sort of thing).

There are some countries my wife and I would still like to visit, but not just for a few days, but for like months, which isn't possible at the moment.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4470 on: November 20, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »
I only knew about that resto because my ex showed me it years ago and said that that's where all the foreign celebrities go when they go to Gwangjang. So I thought I had a pretty good idea of where Rambo would be. Well, so did she. Bumped smack into her. She never told me what happened that day regarding Ramsay and I assumed we got relatively similar pics. Nope. I got this a few hours later on kakao. hahaha Also, my old cats are fine. hahahaha

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4471 on: November 20, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
I too am feeling weird about travelling this vacation. I need to save money.

I also don't want to just stay in Korea the whole time.

...Oh, look! There's Japan!  ;D

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4472 on: November 20, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »

Haha. The funny thing is, travelling to literally anywhere in Asia is way easier on your pocketbook than Japan is. At least that's what I've experienced. The plane tickets are super cheap but once you're there, it's just like, "Ehhhh. I'll spend a whole paycheque or two."
And somehow I enjoy Japan so much, I never seem to mind. Btw, I think Hong Kong is way more expensive.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4473 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »

Haha. The funny thing is, travelling to literally anywhere in Asia is way easier on your pocketbook than Japan is. At least that's what I've experienced. The plane tickets are super cheap but once you're there, it's just like, "Ehhhh. I'll spend a whole paycheque or two."

Yeah, you're probably right. I never can stick to a budget once I'm on vacation, either.

I'm trying to justify Japan to myself cause I'd really like to go Hokkaido in winter, and I keep saying that 3-4 days would be enough. Of course, ski rental and day passes wouldn't be cheap. And then the necessary hot springs...

And as much as I love that konbini life I'd for sure splurge on food. oh man, take me now! :laugh:

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4474 on: November 20, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
If you had the inside scoop that someone was leaving a sweet gig and there was an old posting up on a job board for that school with the same hiring contact information, would you apply before they posted that person's job, to slide in early? Or do you think the school would look upon that negatively? The person leaving can't really help in terms of influence as they weren't there very long.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4475 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:22 AM »
If you had the inside scoop that someone was leaving a sweet gig and there was an old posting up on a job board for that school with the same hiring contact information, would you apply before they posted that person's job, to slide in early? Or do you think the school would look upon that negatively? The person leaving can't really help in terms of influence as they weren't there very long.

I'd absolutely apply for it.  If the person is leaving and there is an opportunity to jump in before they advertise the job then that's your good luck and others' bad luck. 

I did something similar a couple of years back to get my current job.  As my middle school job was being phased out, I thought I'd message my Korean Engish teacher friend at the high school to see if the current native teacher would renew.  She said they weren't, so I said I wanted that job.  She talked to the principal and it was agreed before they advertised it. 

I actually did another similar thing a year before that when I was in my elementary job and they were opening up just one middle school position in my city for the following year.  I talked to another Korean English teacher and told her I was the best person for the job so she called the supervisor and said as much.  The supervisor wasn't sure as they wanted to advertise it, but then called her back a few hours later to say I could have it.

'Sneaking' in before they advertise shows initiative and forward planning. 

Japan not on the cards, or are you justing keeping your options open?

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4476 on: November 21, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »
Been thinking about the future quite a bit recently. 

It's time to move on from Korea.  I think I might go home and become a farmer.  I don't want to live in the big cities anymore, it's easy enough to visit them without living in them.  I think the quiet country life is for me.  It's how I grew up, I think that's what I need to return to.  Go kickstart the olive business that the parents have had as a languishing side project, develop some other horticultural produce - it's fun researching the possible produce, not everything needs to be broad acre farming or tomatoes or grapes (although a vineyard would be awesome, there is heavy direct competition).  And some good old fashioned hard work instead of sitting at a desk or dancing around a classroom.  It will be satisfying.

It's somewhere between exciting and reassuring that this is one the cards.  I can't believe it took me this long to realise this is a serious option.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4477 on: November 21, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »

It's time to move on from Korea.  I think I might go home and become a farmer.  I don't want to live in the big cities anymore, it's easy enough to visit them without living in them.  I think the quiet country life is for me.  It's how I grew up, I think that's what I need to return to.  Go kickstart the olive business that the parents have had as a languishing side project, develop some other horticultural produce - it's fun researching the possible produce, not everything needs to be broad acre farming or tomatoes or grapes (although a vineyard would be awesome, there is heavy direct competition).  And some good old fashioned hard work instead of sitting at a desk or dancing around a classroom.  It will be satisfying.

It's somewhere between exciting and reassuring that this is one the cards.  I can't believe it took me this long to realise this is a serious option.

someone i know moved back to canada to become a farmer. seriously. they're doing really well now. not sure how much you know about farming but i would recommend actually studying it and taking a course if you haven't already. it can often be more complicated than one thinks, especially modern-day farming.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4478 on: November 21, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »

someone i know moved back to canada to become a farmer. seriously. they're doing really well now. not sure how much you know about farming but i would recommend actually studying it and taking a course if you haven't already. it can often be more complicated than one thinks, especially modern-day farming.
They're MADE of chicken!

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4479 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Yeh, I've been thinking about the same thing. I grew up on a farm, but it was a sheep and broad acre cropping farm - and I'm not interested in livestock.  But we have a lot of land that can be utilised in different ways instead of sheep, I'm need to research and study the best ways to do it.  I have a foundation already, but I need the specialty knowledge next.  I've started reading case studies of horticultural farming practices in area or climates similar to the family farm - there are so many choices about what to grow. It's quite exciting.