November 13, 2018, 06:49:38 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 807768 times)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4160 on: October 25, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
We had brownies for lunch today. They had a nice little flag sticking out of the top that said "Dokdo is ours"  :laugh:

Do you know Dokdo, Beautiful Island of Korea?

Today is its day.  :angel:

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4161 on: October 25, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
We had brownies for lunch today. They had a nice little flag sticking out of the top that said "Dokdo is ours"  :laugh:

Do you know Dokdo, Beautiful Island of Korea?

Today is its day.  :angel:

So that's why I got a Dokdo cupcake at lunch today.....  They used the icing for the sea and chocolate to make two bumps.  On another piece of chocolate was written 독도는 우리땅 (Dokdo is our land)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4162 on: October 26, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
When I was biking from Seoul to Busan over Chuseok, I saw a guy with a "Do you know Dokdo? Dokdo is Korean" bike jersey.  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4163 on: October 26, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
One of the third grade boys looked up 찌질한 in Naver Dictionary and kept asking me how to pronounce the english translation, douchebag.

Inside I was chuckling but I tried to maintain school decorum and I didn't tell him how to say it, but he could tell by my reaction that it was some sort of swear word. Cue him and his buddies calling each other douchebag (with slight yet endearing mis-pronunciations) for the next few minutes.

Best thing I've seen in school in a while  ;D

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4164 on: October 30, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
Also, I am reminded about this now because he is teaching a class using his laptop, the thing is, all I can hear is 'whizz-pop' on really high volume as he hasn't checked a coolmessenger.  Those who know the noise, know how irritating it is, and how it 'whizz-pops' every minute.  If I were a student, I'd tell him to turn it off, because it's really loud and really distracting.  But he don't realise.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4165 on: October 30, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
When I was biking from Seoul to Busan over Chuseok, I saw a guy with a "Do you know Dokdo? Dokdo is Korean" bike jersey.  :laugh:

I was just gifted an English comic book called "THIS IS DOKDO."

:blank: :blank: :blank:

I don't know if it was purchased intentionally for me or if it was found laying about.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4166 on: October 30, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »

I don't know if it was purchased intentionally for me or if it was found laying about.

You should ask if the book is Dokdo.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4167 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Ohhhh Shiizzz. I am about to watch CO2 take on the spicy pork cutlet. I forgot all about it until now...Nice. Let me go watch you squirm in pain, lol... I will be back...  :laugh:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4168 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »

Likely they have a budget line for "propaganda, expats" to keep it separate from "propaganda, students", and "propaganda, staff."

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4169 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

She literally asked me, "Do you know Dokdo??" 

She's a really nice person, so I had to fight the tremendous urge to yell, "Do you know TAKESHIMA?!!"

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4170 on: October 30, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

She literally asked me, "Do you know Dokdo??" 

She's a really nice person, so I had to fight the tremendous urge to yell, "Do you know TAKESHIMA?!!"

Or pronounce it "dog dew"

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4171 on: October 30, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Ohhhh Shiizzz. I am about to watch CO2 take on the spicy pork cutlet. I forgot all about it until now...Nice. Let me go watch you squirm in pain, lol... I will be back...  :laugh:

Good try CO2. Do you think that if you would have cut it up to let it cool before even starting, that you could have eaten a lot more of it? Do they start the timer at your first bite, or when they put the plate down in front of you? Also, are you free to eat or drink anything before you start eating. Once last question, I heard they give you tums or the equivalent before you start, true?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4172 on: October 30, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
Link for the uninitiated.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4173 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
I shot you a couple of questions on the post before this page.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4174 on: October 30, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Link for the uninitiated.

Where is this place? I'm too lazy to actually watch it.

The spiciest thing I ever ate was 신길동 짬뽕, which apparently was an old gimmicky place that was featured on a bunch of celebrity eating shows, and apparently Psy also went there. I'm not sure if it's still around. The old location I went to closed, but I think it might've just moved.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4175 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
Good try CO2. Do you think that if you would have cut it up to let it cool before even starting, that you could have eaten a lot more of it? Do they start the timer at your first bite, or when they put the plate down in front of you? Also, are you free to eat or drink anything before you start eating. Once last question, I heard they give you tums or the equivalent before you start, true?

The time starts when your food arrives. 7 mins per cutlet. That's no time at all, hahaha. I went out to Itaewon the night before (I was Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut, mask on/ No one got the reference, hahaha, FIDELIO), so my stomach wasn't too pleased with me.

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too. I don't drink milk............ so that prob didn't help. I can count on one hand how many times I've had a glass of milk in the last 10 years. I'm not lactose intolerant, but it does'nt help, I imagine.

Once you start eating, no more milk. Just water. Everyone else at the table couldn't even have more than a bite of it. I finished 1/3 of it. hahahaha

No small feat, albeit a failure.

BASED: It's near Sindaebang Samgeori 온누리에 독까스

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4176 on: October 30, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »

The time starts when your food arrives. 7 mins per cutlet. That's no time at all, hahaha. I went out to Itaewon the night before (I was Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut, mask on/ No one got the reference, hahaha, FIDELIO), so my stomach wasn't too pleased with me.

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too. I don't drink milk............ so that prob didn't help. I can count on one hand how many times I've had a glass of milk in the last 10 years. I'm not lactose intolerant, but it does'nt help, I imagine.

Once you start eating, no more milk. Just water. Everyone else at the table couldn't even have more than a bite of it. I finished 1/3 of it. hahahaha

No small feat, albeit a failure.

BASED: It's near Sindaebang Samgeori 온누리에 독까스

Is... is there anywhere in Seoul more unpleasant than Sindaebang? I don't think there is.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4177 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too.

You've got my attention...

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4178 on: October 30, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too.

You've got my attention...

Man, I thought you edited mine to make a stupid joke. hahaha NOPE

It stays.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4179 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Last day.  The kids at my main school surprised me with the loveliest gift-- a photo of them and another including me that was taken on a student's phone.  They wrote messages all over the backs then laminated them.  Even got a few handwritten letters.  One of the letters I received from a student at one of my travel schools had this elaborate drawing on it amidst a bunch of notes. 

:cry: :cry: :cry:

My school even asked me to stay for a bit tomorrow morning to be in the yearbook photo. 

I know I'm ready to move onto something new but they're sure not making it easy on me  :laugh: :cry: