September 24, 2018, 11:49:34 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771833 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4160 on: September 21, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

Yeah, all of this is really disappointing.

Are you migrating over to the other site?

Currently over 1000 defectors and growing!

donovan

« Reply #4161 on: September 21, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
Just finished deleting nearly all of my lesson plans.  Feel kind of sad... :sad:

I don't see myself doing that. Part of what made it so sad was seeing all my old comments and feeling like I should have applied myself to something more productive. That on top of having to remove all signs of true productivity :-[ If I had the energy, I might delete all my other inane posts to this site, but that would hardly be productive, either...

Aslan maintains this site as a hobby. Is the maker of the new site truly committed to maintaining it or just trying to make a reactionary point?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4162 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »

Currently over 1000 defectors and growing!

Wow, has it grown that much already? I haven't really invested much time exploring the site.

I don't see myself doing that. Part of what made it so sad was seeing all my old comments and feeling like I should have applied myself to something more productive. That on top of having to remove all signs of true productivity :-[ If I had the energy, I might delete all my other inane posts to this site, but that would hardly be productive, either...

Aslan maintains this site as a hobby. Is the maker of the new site truly committed to maintaining it or just trying to make a reactionary point?

Please don't deprive us of your inanity, it's the meaning of life some days.

I get where you're coming from, though. I'm still kind of just armchairing this whole thing right now myself.

I'll continue to pop in on waygook for the community aspect of it for as long as other users choose to be a part of that, too (also, I've learned invaluable things from the daily ramblings of folks here and there, so..), but all future plans I had for uploading material have been paused until everything stabilizes.

It probably was mostly a reactionary point, but I think she really intends to provide a useful resource site for teachers, if not for anything else because she herself is still a teacher. Maybe this whole thing will help us to create threads that focus more on teaching/learning methods and techniques rather than on the materials themselves?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:21:43 AM by Chinguetti »

donovan

« Reply #4163 on: September 21, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Thanks, Chinguetti.  I like you~

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4164 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
Thankfully, I don't have to get involved in the listening test. My classes are  just extra for them (1st), 국제 classes. So we have a separate curriculum for them. And my yuhak (2nd) kids just skip Korean and have their advanced English with me. This is when they complain about the listening tests. "Teacher the voice this time...soooo annoying" lol

Mr Sesame Street was back again.  'They aaaaaalso suffered from cavities' 'Tooooootally' 

Is there some part of American pronunciation that pronounces 'a' as an 'r'?  He said 'varies' but like it was an 'r' sound. And 'various' was pronounced like an 'r'.  Weird.

There was one part when they explained about a male convenience store owner who hired a young female employee to work part time.  She worked from 7-10pm after school.  When it came to salary time, he gave her an envelope with money in it.  But there was too much money for the hours she'd worked.  She decided to ask him about it.  The answer from him being 'I piad you more because I really appreciate your hard work'.  Maybe I'm just cynical about a boss giving a young, female, part-time employee cash because he appreciates her.   :laugh:

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4165 on: September 21, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
Back to my diet which was on pause way too long. I have 7 more pounds to lose before I leave Korea. Let's hope Chuseok doesn't throw me off my game.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4166 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
Mr Sesame Street was back again.  'They aaaaaalso suffered from cavities' 'Tooooootally'
Sounds more like he's suffering from a stroke. But to be fair, they slow the voices down so much that I'm surprised they don't *all* sound like retarded elephants.

I've done some voice work in Daegu for tours, and they ended up editing the reel to the point where I sounded like I wake up and chug half a litre of steroids for breakfast every morning.
Is there some part of American pronunciation that pronounces 'a' as an 'r'?  He said 'varies' but like it was an 'r' sound. And 'various' was pronounced like an 'r'.  Weird.
Maybe he's a pirate? Did he drop references to skalawags, deck-swabbing, or quivering home renovation supplies? Rum soaked drinking binges? Booty?

Maybe I'm just cynical about a boss giving a young, female, part-time employee cash because he appreciates her.   :laugh:
I would be suspicious of this too.

The 7-11 near my old apart had a uni student working night shift. She was one of the most sullen people I've ever interacted with but she managed to outlast all the other part-timers. I wonder if it was because the owners were just as entertained by her bizarre make-up jobs and coiffure as I was? Also, in all those years I never saw her in anything except for fuzzy pajamas, even when running into her during the day-time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:05:37 PM by kyndo »

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4167 on: September 21, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
Ahahahaha..sounds like a dirty old man. My student came in during lunch and said there was some line about "old castle" but the weird speaker pronounced it like "old-uh casulll" lol (yesterday's test)

Thankfully, I don't have to get involved in the listening test. My classes are  just extra for them (1st), 국제 classes. So we have a separate curriculum for them. And my yuhak (2nd) kids just skip Korean and have their advanced English with me. This is when they complain about the listening tests. "Teacher the voice this time...soooo annoying" lol

There was one part when they explained about a male convenience store owner who hired a young female employee to work part time.  She worked from 7-10pm after school.  When it came to salary time, he gave her an envelope with money in it.  But there was too much money for the hours she'd worked.  She decided to ask him about it.  The answer from him being 'I piad you more because I really appreciate your hard work'.  Maybe I'm just cynical about a boss giving a young, female, part-time employee cash because he appreciates her.   :laugh:
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4168 on: September 21, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »

Maybe he's a pirate? Did he drop references to skalawags, deck-swabbing, or quivering home renovation supplies? Rum soaked drinking binges? Booty?

There are also some areas in hicksville 'murica where letters are added where they don't belong.  For example: 

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

Perhaps they're descendants of pirates. 

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4169 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
I have one of these in my 7-11. I have lived in my apartment for 4 years now and it's been the same girl from when I first moved in. What I love (in addition to her constant bed head and pajama bottom fashion  :laugh:) is that her friends come to hang out ALL NIGHT lol. Sometimes her friends ring me up...but they definitely don't work there lol.

The 7-11 near my old apart had a uni student working night shift. She was one of the most sullen people I've ever interacted with but she managed to outlast all the other part-timers. I wonder if it was because the owners were just as entertained by her bizarre make-up jobs and coiffure as I was? Also, in all those years I never saw her in anything except for fuzzy pajamas, even when running into her during the day-time.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4170 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
There's an English weather personality on The National and it sounds like she half switches a and er sounds. Claire something.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4171 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

There are also some areas in hicksville 'murica where letters are added where they don't belong.  For example: 

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

My Canadian grandmother did that... but she was close to the Maine boarder.

She also referred to policemen as "the Constable", but the "o" was pronounced as a "U".

:)

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4172 on: September 21, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
What reason other than for pleasure would a man use the bum cleaner/jet squirt of water on a toilet for more than 3 minutes? One of the male teachers did just that today. No, I wasn't timing it exactly, but I had to look at my watch as it was kind of weird.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4173 on: September 21, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
What reason other than for pleasure would a man use the bum cleaner/jet squirt of water on a toilet for more than 3 minutes? One of the male teachers did just that today. No, I wasn't timing it exactly, but I had to look at my watch as it was kind of weird.

I think you know the answer. It's pure pleasure  :azn:

...I'm more impressed that you even have the bum spray thingies at your school. Jelly.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4174 on: September 21, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

My dad does this. He's from the Midwest. Specifically Minnesota. Guess it's a thing there.

He also calls the fridge "ice box" but that's not regional. That's just cause he's ancient haha

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4175 on: September 21, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »

I think you know the answer. It's pure pleasure  :azn:

...I'm more impressed that you even have the bum spray thingies at your school. Jelly.

I was slumming it for a while by having to relieve myself in the student toilets until I discovered the "special room" which requires a code to enter. Proabaly the only decent facility in the entire school is the loo.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4176 on: September 21, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

My dad does this. He's from the Midwest. Specifically Minnesota. Guess it's a thing there.

He also calls the fridge "ice box" but that's not regional. That's just cause he's ancient haha

Ah, Minnesotr!  I've a friend from Missoura whose father adds in random letters. 

I thought an 'ice box' was a 'cooler.'   :shocked: How old am I??

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4177 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

I recently kind of re-realized that because I'm a US Southerner, sometimes my vowel sounds don't differentiate. I don't think it's very noticeable, but the other day I said 'many mini' and realized that for me, there is no difference in those words.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #4178 on: September 21, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »

Warshington. 
Warshing machine. 

I recently kind of re-realized that because I'm a US Southerner, sometimes my vowel sounds don't differentiate. I don't think it's very noticeable, but the other day I said 'many mini' and realized that for me, there is no difference in those words.

I'm from Minnesota, and apart from the pop/soda thing, the most noticeable part of my accent is the way I say "bagel" ("beg-uhl"). I thought it was a regional thing, but when people were first confused by my pronunciation (in college), I checked with my family, and none of them says it that way. Not really in my hometown, either.

...I tend to pick up weird vocal/pronunciation things, though. For about half a year in high school I started using "eh" at the ends of my sentences frequently. Got the usual Canadian jokes.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4179 on: September 21, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
Real talk, waygook.org Inanity Crew users donovan, Chinguetti, yirj17, and possibly other peripheral members, you guys are #rare and #based forum people.

I hope the BasedGod shows you some love.

Just kidding. The BasedGod loves everyone all the time.