November 19, 2018, 12:47:16 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814962 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3740 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
I don't particularly care because I wouldn't drink it anyway but why am I the only one in the office who doesn't get milk :(

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #3741 on: June 26, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
I don't particularly care because I wouldn't drink it anyway but why am I the only one in the office who doesn't get milk :(
Because you didn't specifically ask for it, I'm guessing. It's a monthly programme that teachers opt in and pay for. Something like 250 won per day when I last checked.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3742 on: June 26, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
Man, what a weekend. On Friday, some friends and I got wasted at a 보건소 in rural........., well, not to be too specific, but west of Seoul. W@e stayed there overnight in preparation to go out to the islands off Incheon. We took our blood pressure prior and after we got drunk, hahahaha. The nurse who runs it let us stay there, so it wasn't B+E, obv. But it was interesting being in there having some red wine and snacks at 1:00AM.

Then the island. So cool. We went clam digging and I got 60 of the things. So delicious.

But the highlight of the island was the abandoned school. At one point there would have been enough kids on the island to support a school but not now. It closed 5 years ago and the back door was open. So while my friends stayed at the minbak, I camped in the old principal's office by myself. Couldn't even see my own hand in front of my face.

Also, you can see NK from the northern beach on this island. Pretty surreal looking through binoculars.
Supercool weekend.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3743 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Then the island. So cool. We went clam digging and I got 60 of the things. So deliciousdelicious delicious

Bwahhhha.

On the serious, sounds like a baller time.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3744 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Then the island. So cool. We went clam digging and I got 60 of the things. So deliciousdelicious delicious

Bwahhhha.

Do you know clam? I can eat clams very well.

(But seriously, are you making fun of me? hahaha I don't get it.)

Online Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #3745 on: June 26, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
Because you didn't specifically ask for it, I'm guessing. It's a monthly programme that teachers opt in and pay for. Something like 250 won per day when I last checked.

Yeah, teachers have to pay for the milk if they want to receive it. It's not free.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3746 on: June 26, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »

Yeah, teachers have to pay for the milk if they want to receive it. It's not free.

Ahh I see, I assumed it was somehow included in the teacher's fee.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3747 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »

Bwahhhha.

Just poking fun at the delicious bit! Someone here awhile back had a mini rant about Koreans and the word "delicious" so every time I see a NET use that word I giggle inside like the immature child that I am.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3748 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:45 PM »

Bwahhhha.

Just poking fun at the delicious bit! Someone here awhile back had a mini rant about Koreans and the word "delicious" so every time I see a NET use that word I giggle inside like the immature child that I am.

Is that delicious?

That word makes me scratch my eyes out.  'Delicious' is a superlative, I can count on one hand the amount of food in last year that has has been 'delicious'.  I don't eat or try to eat 'delicious' food for every meal.   'Cereal, is that delicious?'  NO!  I don't worry if I eat a bread roll, 'was that delicious?'  'NO, of course it wasn't, it was a bread roll'  It will give me the requisite energy to carry on working.  Koreans really messed up in their translations of 맛있다 and their overuse of it!  It is like after watching a film saying, 'was that amazing?'  You don't ask questions with a superlative unless you don't want a proper answer. 

Delicious, my ass!

Is it?  :shocked:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3749 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Pizza? Almost always delicious.

Pizza is a lot like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3750 on: June 26, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3751 on: June 26, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3752 on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

I think living outside the English speaking world for so long is taking its toll on the ol' Mother Tongue, hahaha.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3753 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
I err on the side of caution with "delicious." It's like if you called every movie you saw "amazing." Yeah, some movies are good. Calling a movie pretty good doesn't do the movie a disservice. It's okay to like ddeokbokki but if you slobber all over every pojang macha ddeokbokki "우와ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ 맛있다!" then it cheapens the word. Sometimes food is just food. Hell, most of the time food is just food.

Those clams I had caught 3 hours prior to eating them over an open wood flame grill? That's delicious.

Louis CK for some philosophy on this. 

:afro: Hey, I brought a cup, you know, in case we need another cup.

:cheesy: Dude, you're a GENIUS.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3754 on: June 26, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #3755 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Here are a few (ranked from good to bad):
Spectacular.
Incredible.
Amazing.
Fantastic.

Divine.
Exquisite.
Delicious.
Delectable.

Tasty.
Yummy.
Good.

Not bad (said with enthusiasm).
Not bad (said without much enthusiasm).
Alright.

Okay.
Palatable.
Meh.

Edible.
Pretty bad.
Bad.

Inedible.
Terrible.
Catastrophic.

*Hurk*

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3756 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Lekker. Just all start saying lekker.

And if it's not lekker it's kak.

It really is that easy.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3757 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3758 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:
Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3759 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Thirded. Their bread & snacks not only look good, but they TASTE good too! Imagine that.
Amen. I saw a girl who was newish to Korea make a post on FB yesterday about how excited she was to find cinnamon rolls at Paris Baguette and how much she loved cinnamon rolls and how these looked so good and how excited she is to try them...

I have tried their rolls. They are not good. Look pretty, sure, but the taste is nada.