September 21, 2018, 09:23:56 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 770222 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3740 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
A student just snuck up behind me while I was sitting at my desk watching YT and suddenly whispered at me "Teacher... why is grammar important?"

Scared the bejeezus out of me.  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3741 on: June 13, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
A student just snuck up behind me while I was sitting at my desk watching YT and suddenly whispered at me "Teacher... why is grammar important?"

Scared the bejeezus out of me.  :cry:

I know, grammar is really scary.   :laugh:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3742 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
My middle school 1st years at my current school are very particular about teams and seating arrangements. When I tell them to get into two teams (there's 12 of them) they take about 5 minutes to all play 'rock, paper, scissors' to figure out the team leader and pick their team members.  :rolleyes: Just split normally into 2 groups like everyone else. I also witnessed them assigning each other seats at lunch today too.
I was teaching the kids how to play "Go Fish" today, and after they put all the cards in the middle I told them to each take 5 cards. They did RPS to decide in what order to take the cards. Ridiculous.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3743 on: June 13, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
Is that like a pacman sound?  Hahah. 

That's the Indonesian ㅋㅋㅋ.

You learned something today. wkwkwkwkwk
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #3744 on: June 15, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
I put a picture up of Kel Mitchel from his role in Good Burger on the screen and one student's immediate reaction before anything else is said is, "That's racist!" with a smile on his face. What's that about??

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:36:01 AM by donovan »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3745 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
What do you get someone who hates everything and everyone?

korean socks and/or korean t-shirts. i used to have a shirt i bought from one of those ajumma stall in itaewon that said "eat shit and die motherfukcer" on it in big letters. and it had a smiley face on it too. sounds like it would suit your dad  :P

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3746 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

korean socks and/or korean t-shirts. i used to have a shirt i bought from one of those ajumma stall in itaewon that said "eat shit and die motherfukcer" on it in big letters. and it had a smiley face on it too. sounds like it would suit your dad  :P

Lol tempting.... My mom would have a hissy fit if it said something like that but i'm not there to witness the fallout so I don't care... I could at least get him some trump socks... That way everyone knows that We shall overcomb...

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3747 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »

Lol tempting.... My mom would have a hissy fit if it said something like that but i'm not there to witness the fallout so I don't care... I could at least get him some trump socks... That way everyone knows that We shall overcomb...
I remember when I found those in Namdaemun like a week after the election and I couldn't stop laughing. The ajeossi was a bit confused so my bf had to explain why I was laughing at them so much.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3748 on: June 15, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
Today I told my students that if they sang to me in English, I'd give them candy. No repeat songs allowed. (I had a thing of Icebreaker sours)

Got about 10~12 singers, some of whom sang more than once  8)  :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3749 on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:14 PM »
A student found a metal spoon under my desk.

It's really fancy. Not your run-of-the-mill Emart spoon.

I asked around. No one seems to want to claim it. Now I'm stuck with this extraordinary spoon that's far too pretty to throw away.

I think I'll let Ryan use it as a wand.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3750 on: June 15, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
A student found a metal spoon under my desk.

It's really fancy. Not your run-of-the-mill Emart spoon.

I asked around. No one seems to want to claim it. Now I'm stuck with this extraordinary spoon that's far too pretty to throw away.

I think I'll let Ryan use it as a wand.

Pics or it ain't real

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3751 on: June 15, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »

I remember when I found those in Namdaemun like a week after the election and I couldn't stop laughing. The ajeossi was a bit confused so my bf had to explain why I was laughing at them so much.
They're so hilarious, I need to get me a pair of Obama socks and wear one on each foot to p!ss off my friend with my clashing :D The only thing that would be better is if they made a Super Trump doll like the Super Obama one I found in Japan. When yu squeezed it t said "yes we can". I want a trump one that says something obscene.

Offline okapifire

• Veteran
« Reply #3752 on: June 15, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »

At lunch there was a girl wearing a shirt that said "Bitch please, I'm fabulous" with a picture of Marie from Aristocats. I busted up laughing and my CT was so confused. After I explained it, she called the girl over to explain why she shouldn't wear the shirt. The look on the student's face almost made me bust up again. She literally had no fucks to give about whatever English nonsense was on her shirt.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3753 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »

At lunch there was a girl wearing a shirt that said "Bitch please, I'm fabulous" with a picture of Marie from Aristocats. I busted up laughing and my CT was so confused. After I explained it, she called the girl over to explain why she shouldn't wear the shirt. The look on the student's face almost made me bust up again. She literally had no fucks to give about whatever English nonsense was on her shirt.
I found that shirt on gmarket once but decided to get the one with Cinderella and Snow White passed out drunk on a table with booze beside them with the words "real life" on it.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3755 on: June 15, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
Our principal, in his infinite wisdom, has decreed that all teachers must wear nametags with their picture on it. They're very official looking. I don't get one, of course, but that's fine with me. It seems a little silly to me. The principal retires at the end of the school year, so maybe he's bored? I imagine him sitting in his office that's at least 4 times the size of my apartment brainstorming pointless things like nametags.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3756 on: June 15, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
http://store.engrish.com/collections/engrish-com-shirts/products/elvis-sinatra-t-shirt

Someone buy me this shirt.

I'm sure you can find better for under 5,000won on gmarket ;)

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3757 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
I forgot that fathers day is coming up.... Now I need to think of something I can get shipped to my dad..... What do you get someone who hates everything and everyone? Any suggestions? Otherwise he's getting another Marks Work Wearhouse giftcard...

fidget spinner obviously.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3758 on: June 15, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
I forgot that fathers day is coming up.... Now I need to think of something I can get shipped to my dad..... What do you get someone who hates everything and everyone? Any suggestions? Otherwise he's getting another Marks Work Wearhouse giftcard...

fidget spinner obviously.

... has anyone cornered the market on Kpop fidget spinners yet?

Because I would honestly buy the shit out of those.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3759 on: June 15, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
I wish people would remember that the past tense of sneak is sneaked, and that there is a difference between a principle and a principal.
The past tense of drag is dragged.

No, I didn't read these on here today.  These were in news articles.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:23:44 PM by denimdaze »