September 26, 2018, 03:41:05 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 772398 times)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3320 on: April 11, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
Alright friends -- who's going out on a limb and requesting a day off/unpaid for May 2nd?

I did.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3321 on: April 11, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »
Some of my Tuesday morning students found out that I have 2 schools on Tuesdays. Their first question was what other school. Their second questions was "(school 2's name) students ugly?"

Their faces were so serious as they asked too. Like they were concerned about being my prettier Tuesday school...

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3322 on: April 11, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
There... is actually someone cleaning the windows here. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3323 on: April 11, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
There... is actually someone cleaning the windows here. I don't think I have ever seen that before.
Please take a photo...I have never seen anyone ever clean a window here.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3324 on: April 11, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3325 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »
I watched a cat take a shit that I would've thought came from a dog had I not witnessed it. It was impressive. But the dirty ****** didn't even bother to cover it with sand like any decent cat would.

Animals, these days.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3326 on: April 12, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
I watched a cat take a shit that I would've thought came from a dog had I not witnessed it. It was impressive. But the dirty ****** didn't even bother to cover it with sand like any decent cat would.

Animals, these days.
His plan is to blame the dog.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3327 on: April 12, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »

Animals, these days.

Typical cat.

Dogs get blamed for everything, these days.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3328 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »

Animals, these days.

Looks like he's going all out, he wants rid of the dog.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3329 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
THE MELODICA IS HERE, Y'ALL. 

Gonna open it up after lunch when I have a goodly break.  Fingers crossed all is well and functional.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3330 on: April 12, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen :)
Oh man. I missed the opportunity. If I see it again, I'll for sure bust out my phone and snap some.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3331 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Anyang Halla are the Asia Hockey League Champions for the second year in a row. Went last night. They beat the Russian Sakhalin team in OT.

Great game.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #3332 on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
'Lotte' Group is named after Charlotte from Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther"?

'You Know What This Company Needs? More Sturm und Drang'

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-know-what-this-company-needs-some-gloomy-german-literature-1491849521

Walking the grounds of the new Lotte Tower you see this 5 meter bronze statue that looks completely out of place, much like the Trevi-looking fountain that adorns the Jamsil subway station. Look closer and you find out it's apparently a statue of Goethe, the 18th century German poet. You read the placard and you learn that the founder named his chewing gum company after the character Charlotte from "The Sorrows of Young Werther". It sounds completely laughable, like they are retroactively trying to justify the oddly-placed statue by making up some completely implausible origins story for the company (is 롯데 even how the diminutive would be spelled in Korean?!), giving it far more profound associations than seems to be warranted for a Korean snack company. But it's in fact true! The founder Shin Kyuk-ho sounds somewhat obsessed with the work, actually.

As the company navigates one of the rockiest periods in its history, Goethe’s anguished tale has served as a “spiritual and moral guide,” says Park Hyun-chul, chief executive of Lotte Corp., in an interview.

Executives like Mr. Park and the Lotte founder’s son, current Chairman Shin Dong-bin, say they were particularly struck by the intensity of the passion that Werther felt for Charlotte, and the fact Charlotte was so beloved that men would die for her.

I wonder if any Koreans have the same anguished passion for the LOTTE Group.

Anyway, kudos to them for getting the Duty Free license back.

“It’s a good-luck charm,” says Mr. Park, who first read “The Sorrows of Young Werther” about 30 years ago. He says he was struck by how unlike a typical love story it was. “I felt the anguish of not being able to fulfill your dreams,” he says.

The founder's son and current chief executive Shin Dong-bin fashions himself as more of a "Faust" guy, though.

Mr. Shin, who wrested control of the business empire from his older brother, argues that, even though Faust makes a pact with an agent of Satan, “he is hardworking and tries to find the truth, and that is very important.”

http://koreabizwire.com/statue-of-goethe-erected-in-seoul/71131

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3333 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
The melodica is baller as all get out.

I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3334 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
I've been thinking about taking up an instrument to learn.

Plenty of guitars being sold for cheap right now and it's tempting, but the hipster in me says to go for something not so "mainstream" with the foreigner community here.

Maybe a banjo cuz whynot.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3335 on: April 12, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Banjo would be tiiiiight.  Do it.  Get a banjo. 

Nothing wrong with guitar though, tis quite a lovely instrument. 

Or, you know, there's always melodica.  :wink:  You can get super cheap ones for like $20 from China though I can't vouch if they'd arrive properly in tune.  I went ahead and sprang for a decent intermediate one for around $85 from Japan, after some research.  Not gonna lie, part of the motivation was a much shorter shipping estimate (2 weeks vs a month).  So far it's pretty easy to pick up, too. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3336 on: April 12, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #3337 on: April 12, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »

Plenty of guitars being sold for cheap right now and it's tempting, but the hipster in me says to go for something not so "mainstream" with the foreigner community here.

Banjo is like curry or chili. Mandolin is like cumin. The Mandolin is really what makes bluegrass come alive, same as cumin with chili and Indian food.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3338 on: April 12, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »

Get a bass and we'll start an all bass band that no one including ourselves will want to listen to.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3339 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
I'm getting off my lazy arse and learning how to play me some volleyball.  My main goal is to get the damn ball over the net consistently from the far line, dammit.  After hitting the ball around some, I realized that I don't actually lack the strength to get it over the net (as I previously thought).  I just need to fix my stance, aim, and the point of contact when I hit the ball. 

Today I found the PE teacher in the gym after classes and got him to teach me how to properly serve (I recalled a few basics from when I was in school but he definitely fixed a lot of things) along with some methods for solo practice.  While I'm not as shite as I thought I was, I'm definitely far from being where I'd like to be.   

With his limited English and a lot of physical demonstration he was able to teach me exactly what I needed to know.  He's a legit good teacher.  He told me that the women teachers just sit when others practice and told me not to sit.  Hahah.  I was able to convey that I didn't previously know the exercises I learned today but now that I know, I will practice every day.  I think he understood

Also, I feel SO good after exercising when I was feeling pretty down earlier today.  Everyone should deliberately exercise, e'eryday.  Feels great  8)