September 24, 2018, 01:49:22 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771693 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3020 on: March 14, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
My co and I were talking about how wild the kids can be and what we can do to manage them. According to her Korean children used to be better, but after the Japanese invaded their classroom behavior has gone downhill.
That is 100% nonsense.  Japan brought order, discipline, etc. to Korea.

Sounds like your coteacher learned fake history.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3021 on: March 14, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
One of the new teachers asked if I was married and had a son...

I know it's typical here to inquire about one's family and even relationship status but this is the first time someone's asked me if I have a child. 

Somewhat of a surprise as usually I'm mistaken for being much younger, hah

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3022 on: March 14, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
My co and I were talking about how wild the kids can be and what we can do to manage them. According to her Korean children used to be better, but after the Japanese invaded their classroom behavior has gone downhill.
That is 100% nonsense.  Japan brought order, discipline, etc. to Korea.

Sounds like your coteacher learned fake history.
Yeah she's not the biggest fan of Japan.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3023 on: March 15, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3024 on: March 15, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
My main coT told me she contacted the new KET at my other middle school.  She's worried he might be "strict."  Apparently he didn't agree to her suggested arrangement (same as last year, that the NET focus on speaking/listening while the KET focuses on grammar/reading) but didn't quite openly say "no" either.

Feeling slightly apprehensive about actually meeting him tomorrow. He might turn out to be a prideful prat.  :lipsrsealed:

It's so weird that he wouldn't agree with that setup!  It sounds pretty standard.

Fill us in tomorrow if you can  :P

Offline BTeacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3025 on: March 15, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why keep the mutherf*cking doors open!?

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:44:05 AM by BTeacher »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3026 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:04 AM »

I haven't had to focus on the book the last couple of years, and the KETs and I have been working great together. A new KET came this semester and is now complaining that I don't cover the textbook (I cover the main content, but without using the actual book). Complains there is too much work on the KETs part. Although, no other teachers have had the problem (even those with homeroom classes and other "higher positions"), and even encouraged me to not use it, so that the students don't get so bogged down. We shall see...

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #3027 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
What is with businesses closing down for lunch here? Tried to by some lightblubs the other day, but the lighting store was closed for lunch. Somewhat understandable, since it's just one guy who runs the store, but you'd think he could just pack some gimbap for lunch and keep his doors open to customers.

Much less understandable was a few months ago when my wife and I walked into a RESTAURANT in the early afternoon and all the employees were sitting around eating lunch, literally like 5 of them. They basically said sorry, they couldn't help us, they were on lunch. So there we were, standing in a business whose sole purpose is to serve food to customers, cash in hand, in the middle of the day, all employees present, and unable to get lunch. Only watch them enjoy their lunch.

Why not stagger the lunch breaks among the employees so the business can remain functional during a peak time to prevent customers from walking away!??

Is it absolutely f*cking necessary for everyone to eat their lunch together?!??/7

Anyway, the restaurant is now a stationary store, so I guess those group lunch breaks weren't such a great idea after all.
Tell me about it. So many places do it. The samsung service center shuts down for 90 minutes so all the engineers, CS people etc, like 25-30 of them can all eat at the same time. It's nuts. I can kind of understand a small operation with only one worker. But it's so stupid.
Big hospitals too. Just stagger your goddamn eating time.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3028 on: March 15, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
BT, thanks for the post.

Yeah, it's pretty odd how they all must eat together.

Greece is like the worst, as for two hours every day of the week, banks and the like are all closed so they can eat lunch and have a "μεσημεριανός ύπνος" (siesta) together.

Not to hijack, but before Pizza Hut and the like arrived in Korea (western influence), you could not order an actual "cheese" pizza here.  They would put corn, onions, etc. on their "cheese" pizza.

It happened so many times, I would ask for a pizza with only sauce and cheese, and they would say "NO.  It's not delicious."  I would be like "What? You don't have to eat it.  I'm going to eat it."  They said, "Sorry. It's not possible."  It was a no-can-do.

No coffee shops brewed coffee prior to Starbucks apart from the 4-5 star hotels...it was madness :)  Coffee shops served instant stick coffee with sugar and powdered creamer mixed in those disposable paper cups.  Funny, but sad.

It will take further influence from the west before businesses adopt "best practices".

Be grateful that banks now stagger staff during lunch time.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3029 on: March 15, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

우리나라, 제발 이해해
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3030 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Is it rice cake day or something? I've gotten four today. Desperately chasing down children so I can give them away.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3031 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I know most people are opposite, but I actually like the rice cakes. Though not the green grassy type.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3032 on: March 15, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
Same here, except I also like the green grassy type.

They're extremely filling, though. I can't eat more than one or two at a time, and yet I always end up with a ton.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #3033 on: March 15, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
One of the new teachers asked if I was married and had a son...

I know it's typical here to inquire about one's family and even relationship status but this is the first time someone's asked me if I have a child. 

Somewhat of a surprise as usually I'm mistaken for being much younger, hah

;D I've also had co-workers - as well as random people at the bus stop - ask me if I have a child. Same as you, I am usually mistaken for being much younger than I am. In fact, when I taught Grade 4 in my home country, on two occasions when I met/happened to walk past my student's parents, they thought I was one of my own students... i.e. 10 years old!
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3034 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »

When I eat them, I feel like I'm eating a week's worth of calories - and not the good kind of calories.

Yes ugh

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3035 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »

They're extremely filling, though. I can't eat more than one or two at a time, and yet I always end up with a ton.

Did someone say Greengrass?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3036 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
I know most people are opposite, but I actually like the rice cakes. Though not the green grassy type.

When I eat them, I feel like I'm eating a week's worth of calories - and not the good kind of calories.

I can't stand the slimey taste of the white and green ones.  I avoid them at all costs.  I still don't get the '맛있어!' comments when people eat them, considering Korean people are so obsessed with spicey or tasty food, that they can taste something that is soooooooo subtle that it doesn't exist.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3037 on: March 15, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

Yeah, they are really filling. I can only eat one or 2 at a time.

But they are so heavy and calorie dense probably.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3038 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Why was the BBC interview nanny/mother thread deleted?  :lipsrsealed:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3039 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »

I haven't had to focus on the book the last couple of years, and the KETs and I have been working great together. A new KET came this semester and is now complaining that I don't cover the textbook (I cover the main content, but without using the actual book). Complains there is too much work on the KETs part. Although, no other teachers have had the problem (even those with homeroom classes and other "higher positions"), and even encouraged me to not use it, so that the students don't get so bogged down. We shall see...
Oh man, last year I had freedom doing almost all after school classes and this year I'm at a school where my ct is super nervous but dedicated to teaching together and he wants only book. That's tons of fun for our ONE STUDENT IN THE ENTIRE 5TH GRADE CLASS. After the horror show that was last week he let up and is allowing me to do a bomb game for a review lesson. it's painful to go by the book and especially with small classes! I can't drag out the "talk with friends" parts if there's one or no other kids in the class o.o He's 100% babying the kids and holding them back because if they even go outside of the book sentences he tells them off. No more of 4th graders being hungry apparently... They can only be good, fine, or not so good...