September 24, 2018, 11:14:55 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 771812 times)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2980 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
Luckily I can combine my five renewal vacation days with the upcoming long May holiday and I'm thinking of travelling abroad.

I've never been to Thailand and I'm thinking about a few days in Bangkok.

When I travel I like a mix of shopping, seeing the main tourist things like temples/palaces, and trying as much street food as I can.

To those who have been, was it worth it?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2981 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
I would love a good cornbread sweet potato stuffing. Stuffing is my favorite side dish of the holidays.

Once I met some friends of a friend here (we were all foreigners) and we were discussing Thanksgiving food.  One nearly got in a tizzy because I and another person were calling it "stuffing" instead of "dressing."  Kept insisting it was the latter even though I said that it was probably just regional difference-- I mean honestly, the person I was talking to wasn't confused nor was I and we acknowledged that it could be either but according to the other person it was "dressing" and any other term was wrong.  Some people are strange  :undecided:
I really hate when people do that. I get it if you really can't comprehend the conversation because of the word choice, but I hate when people get all indignant that the way they say things is the "right way". I mean, some people do actually stuff their turkey. It's like the "pop" versus "soda" versus "cola" argument.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2982 on: March 09, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
Luckily I can combine my five renewal vacation days with the upcoming long May holiday and I'm thinking of travelling abroad.

When I travel I like a mix of shopping, seeing the main tourist things like temples/palaces, and trying as much street food as I can.

I would only spend a few days in Bangkok. It wasn't that great in my opinion, though I don't like to spend a lot of time in big cities. So depending on what you like, I would look into a few days there and then spreading out and away from Bangkok.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2983 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
I really hate when people do that. I get it if you really can't comprehend the conversation because of the word choice, but I hate when people get all indignant that the way they say things is the "right way". I mean, some people do actually stuff their turkey. It's like the "pop" versus "soda" versus "cola" argument.

I am guilty of saying "soda" and "pop" and "soda pop" hahahah.  Though I would find it confusing to order a "cola" if I meant a different kind of soda?  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how that works.  There's a cool map showing by region what people usually call carbonated beverages. 

I've been to Chiang Mai and Bangkok and preferred the latter.  I found a lot of great street food in Chiang Mai (cowboy lady!) and there are day trips you can make to some really cool places like Chiang Rai (white temple, black house museum).

There's lots of shopping and touristy temples in Bangkok though.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2984 on: March 09, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »

I've been to Chiang Mai and Bangkok and preferred the latter.  I found a lot of great street food in Chiang Mai (cowboy lady!) and there are day trips you can make to some really cool places like Chiang Rai (white temple, black house museum).

+1 for Chiang Mai and the north. There are lots of temples and things there too, especially in Pai. However, shopping not so much. At least not that I remember.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2985 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »

I would only spend a few days in Bangkok. It wasn't that great in my opinion, though I don't like to spend a lot of time in big cities. So depending on what you like, I would look into a few days there and then spreading out and away from Bangkok.
I've never been, but I'm told that Bangkok is well overrated, and spreading out is a good idea. I would assume that means that it's good for shopping, partying, and tours, but if you prefer a more peaceful vacation with like hidden treasures and snorkeling and stuff, you should go elsewhere.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2986 on: March 09, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
I am guilty of saying "soda" and "pop" and "soda pop" hahahah.  Though I would find it confusing to order a "cola" if I meant a different kind of soda?  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how that works.  There's a cool map showing by region what people usually call carbonated beverages. 
Here it is:

It's actually better than a lot of other studies I've glanced at: huge sample size, controlled variables, etc.  :smiley:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2987 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »

+1 for Chiang Mai and the north. There are lots of temples and things there too, especially in Pai. However, shopping not so much. At least not that I remember.

I don't recall much shopping in Chiang Mai either but I was also very focused on the food, hahah.  I would go back for the food alone.  Also, Elephant Poo Paper Park is pretty cool.  I did spend a lot there-- most of the poo paper comes with an explanation on a small card. And no, the paper does not smell  :smiley:

Bangkok kinda feels more like a place where people would go to party for spring break or something though that can easily be avoided if it's not your scene. But probably easily found if it is.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2988 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »

I don't recall much shopping in Chiang Mai either but I was also very focused on the food, hahah.  I would go back for the food alone.  Also, Elephant Poo Paper Park is pretty cool.  I did spend a lot there-- most of the poo paper comes with an explanation on a small card. And no, the paper does not smell  :smiley:

Bangkok kinda feels more like a place where people would go to party for spring break or something though that can easily be avoided if it's not your scene. But probably easily found if it is.
Oh yeah, that place was neat. So funny to see people squealing over it.

As for Bangkok, I stayed in a hostel off of Khaosan Rd which was such a mistake. It was loud and my dorm room seemed to be full of insane people who were all drunk and fighting. I have never experienced that anywhere else, and I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but still. Also some good food places, but...https://pictures.abebooks.com/ORPHANBOOKS2/1002806914.jpg

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2989 on: March 09, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »

Everybody always says 'get out of bangkok asap' but I went for 7 days and I loved it. coulda stayed longer. The key is, DONT stay near the tourist district. I don't know why people who stay there think that it is reflective of Bangkok. We stayed in a great air bnb with a pool so had a couple of nice chill pool days. Also did a daytrip. Temple hopping, shopping, bar hopping, clubbing, eating. It was honestly great. I'm a city person so it worked for me! Go and form your own opinion! I'm so glad I did. I'm hoping to go bak for another week long trip soon. It's a great city

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2990 on: March 09, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Really it just depends on what you're into. Your best bet is to look into what kind of tourist attractions are around and what appeals to you most.  My lodging was outside of the big city (a nice airbnb) and I really rather liked it but I had some friends who happened to be there at the same time who were staying at a guesthouse in a very touristy part of Bangkok (which would not have been a good fit for me but my friends liked the location).

Still though, the White Temple and Black House in Chiang Mai are very cool.

Either way, I'm sure you'll find great food, sights, and shopping. Thailand is great

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #2991 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Besides teaching my normal class workload. I have been feeling like shit all day. With a mix of dizziness, nausea, and this sinking feeling in my stomach coupled with a migraine, I just want to curl up on a bed and rest. But I know as soon as today is done I will most likely collapse at home which will piss off my dogs who have been home alone all day.

On another note...... maybe it was a bad idea to stop drinking soft drinks and caffeine.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2992 on: March 09, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! 

Everybody always says 'get out of bangkok asap'

Yea this is what I'd read quite a lot which got me sceptical about visiting.

I'll carry on researching but you guys have really helped; thanks again  :azn:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2993 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! 

Everybody always says 'get out of bangkok asap'

Yea this is what I'd read quite a lot which got me sceptical about visiting.

I'll carry on researching but you guys have really helped; thanks again  :azn:
I still had fun in Bangkok, went to a few free mai thai fights, walked around different areas outside of Khaosan and did temple visits, I still just enjoyed other areas more.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2994 on: March 10, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
There is literally popcorn in the teachers' office and they've just turned on the TV to watch the news

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2995 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »
Omg today we had chicken strip tacos for lunch, with tortillas and everything!  8)

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2996 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
We had some weird 'stirfry' with bacon (ham) and some other random things. Also deep fried potato balls. 5/10 on taste but 10/10 on creativity  :laugh:. Bit sad because their food is usually top notch for a school cafeteria.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2997 on: March 10, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
Spaghetti was served today.

It tasted just like Chef Boyardee.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2998 on: March 10, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
One of the teachers at lunch was absent minded and dropped all her rice onto the floor.  :laugh: :laugh: All the kids started laughing and I near immediately heard one say "Africa" along with some Korean presumably about how there are starving kids in Africa.

Also, I love Chef Boyardee.  Like I know it's garbage but it's stupid tasty garbage.  I might have to order some more...

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2999 on: March 10, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
We had ham and cheese sandwiches with our lunch. They had jam in them, which was new to me. It was very sweet but not as terrible as I would have thought.

5 back to back classes before lunch on Weds, Thurs, and Fri are tiring. 7 of them are with the homeroom teacher and I'm still trying to get comfortable with that. But all things considered it went pretty well and the kids are not as wild when their teacher is there.