December 11, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846426 times)

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2840 on: March 03, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Attending one of the few 회식 I attend in order to keep up appearances after work. It's seafood, which I have a particularly strong hate-boner for, but whatever. Apparently my new main co-T can drink (and does) so I can quietly chug enough to forget about the sea-abortion on the plate in front of me. I've not been the youngest for a couple of years now and seemed to have earned some kudos by hanging around at the same school. All-in-all the atmosphere this year definitely trumps my previous rounds so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Waygook.org user robin_teacher, what food do you like?

I love 삼겹살, 순두부, 만두, almost any form of chicken. I even think the intestines one is okay. Bibimbap, kimbap, 찌깨, 감자탕... it's all good. I like fish, especially battered and fried, but I'll take it in most forms it comes in (I know it can be classified as seafood; it's shellfish, seaslugs, cephalopods and the like which make my guts churn).

Offline Conner42

• Veteran
« Reply #2841 on: March 03, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
It's Friday so I guess I can post on here now...even though I've done it when it wasn't Friday a couple of times.

Also, who the hell is this Shawn Mendes asshole and why haven't I heard of him until I left the US? Living in China and my girlfriend wants me to sing a song by him for her...and when I was in Spain, when a girl found out my name is Sean, they go "Oh! Just like Shawn Mendes!"

In China, I've been introducing myself as Sean like Shaun the Sheep and some British guys got onto me saying "Is that the best you can do?" Well, I've yet to meet a Chinese person who know who Sean Connery is and I'll happily take Shaun the Sheep over...who ever this whiny asshole is...Sean was a perfectly cool name until this no talent assclown showed up.

Canada, there's only so much you can get away with after giving us Rush and the Guess Who.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2842 on: March 03, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
Bieber and Mendes are BAE
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2843 on: March 03, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
Even though I have been vegetarian for nigh on 28 years, I attend the dinners and eat whatever rabbit food they want to give me.  As I live near the sea, there is a lot of seafood dinners.  One ages ago had the 산낙지 on the table.  But the owner put it in front of me,as I was a little bored I thought I'd time how long it took to stop twitching.  It was about 15 minutes, then someone nudged the table and they moved again.  Thing was, two of the tentacles escaped across the table and made a break for it, they got a good 30cms from the plate to freedom, before the social studies teachers nabbed them with her chopsticks before dunking them in the chilli sauce and then in her mouth.
Dear Penthouse..............

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2844 on: March 03, 2017, 03:08:25 PM »
It's Friday so I guess I can post on here now...even though I've done it when it wasn't Friday a couple of times.

Also, who the hell is this Shawn Mendes asshole and why haven't I heard of him until I left the US? Living in China and my girlfriend wants me to sing a song by him for her...and when I was in Spain, when a girl found out my name is Sean, they go "Oh! Just like Shawn Mendes!"

In China, I've been introducing myself as Sean like Shaun the Sheep and some British guys got onto me saying "Is that the best you can do?" Well, I've yet to meet a Chinese person who know who Sean Connery is and I'll happily take Shaun the Sheep over...who ever this whiny asshole is...Sean was a perfectly cool name until this no talent assclown showed up.

Canada, there's only so much you can get away with after giving us Rush and the Guess Who.

On behalf of Canada I'd like to apologize for all mainstream Canadian music. It's dreadful, but we've got some nifty underground stuff :)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2845 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
I've noticed a drop in silly questions this year...no "Can you use chopsticks? or "Do you know kimchi?"

Instead they ask "Do you usually eat Korean food?" or  'Do you like spicy food?"

Is it just me?

Yeah, same actually. I'm at a new school this year but they know I've been in Korea for a bit so perhaps that's why. But "what do you eat for breakfast?" remains very popular, apprently.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2846 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »

On behalf of Canada I'd like to apologize for all mainstream Canadian music. It's dreadful, but we've got some nifty underground stuff :)

DFA 1979.

Arcade Fire won a Grammy, FWIW

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2847 on: March 03, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
I think after three and a half years here I've finally been handed an honest to god certifiably crazy CT. Not really rant-thread worthy yet, but I think it's gonna be a trip! Yay!  :cheesy:

Offline Conner42

• Veteran
« Reply #2848 on: March 03, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »

It's okay! Quite honestly, no country that has made any impact on mainstream music is guilt free. I have a lot to apologize for as an American as well  :P

But, damn, is it weird that I've never even heard of this kid until I moved further away from an English speaking culture and it turns out he's been popular for a while.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2849 on: March 03, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
I want to hack into the schools bell system and change the tune.  Maybe Dixie, In the Hall of the Mountain King, The Ride of the Valkyries, or the William Tell Overture.  I wonder what the results would be?

YoungMin

« Reply #2850 on: March 03, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Bought a bar of dairy milk from ministop. Well 3 actually cos it was 2+1. Just had one and it tasteless absolutely nothing like dairy milk from England. It's been made in the middle east judging by the arabic on the wrapper. It tastes like plastic. What's wrong with this world? We've stooped so low to save a few pennies that we've started producing absolutely disgusting bars of dairy milk now. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't go on like this. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2851 on: March 03, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
After what was a taxing year, I seem to have landed up in a very sweet gig this year. Although the travelling is new to me, I am absolutely loving being back in rural schools.

I am cautiously optimistic, as I know full well how horribly things can go wrong, but I really am enjoying being at a school where an effort is being made to include me and it is okay for me to ask questions if I feel that I do not understand. I really am just enjoying not feeling overly stressed and anxious, and it is only day 3 - I really have no idea how to catch the correct buses, all my schools have different textbooks, but I feel calm, because I am not constantly worried that someone is going to fly into an insulting rage to  belittle and criticize and break me down at every opportunity. Here's to new beginnings.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2852 on: March 03, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
Bought a bar of dairy milk from ministop. Well 3 actually cos it was 2+1. Just had one and it tasteless absolutely nothing like dairy milk from England. It's been made in the middle east judging by the arabic on the wrapper. It tastes like plastic. What's wrong with this world? We've stooped so low to save a few pennies that we've started producing absolutely disgusting bars of dairy milk now. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't go on like this.

I heard that some familiar brands are reformulated for warmer climates.

The cost is flavour and texture.

YoungMin

« Reply #2853 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
New teacher on the desk to my left.

All I can see out the corner of my eye is her staring at me.

She's not actually staring at me. She's staring at herself in a mirror that she's put on the side of her desk.

Doing my head in.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2854 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
After what was a taxing year, I seem to have landed up in a very sweet gig this year. Although the travelling is new to me, I am absolutely loving being back in rural schools.

I am cautiously optimistic, as I know full well how horribly things can go wrong, but I really am enjoying being at a school where an effort is being made to include me and it is okay for me to ask questions if I feel that I do not understand. I really am just enjoying not feeling overly stressed and anxious, and it is only day 3 - I really have no idea how to catch the correct buses, all my schools have different textbooks, but I feel calm, because I am not constantly worried that someone is going to fly into an insulting rage to  belittle and criticize and break me down at every opportunity. Here's to new beginnings.

I hope things continue swimmingly for you. I've not experienced otherwise but I appreciate my rural schools for being inclusive and generally laid back. So far two schools have the same principal and coTs so I know things will be the same.

I know I'll have one new coT and one new VP at other travel schools I've not yet been to yet. Not sure if the other principals will be the same. But as I'm only at travel schools once a week, it won't be too much suffering if a new person turns out to be less than savory.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #2855 on: March 06, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
A new teacher of an unknown subject started at my school last week.  She is the spitting image of that mother in law in all the Korean dramas (style, hair, demeanor all of it), and I fear she may also have the personality of one too. Subtle things so far makes me think she may be a handful.  She sits next to me now in the teachers office and the first day she sad down next to me when  was preparing a PPT for my class. I could feel her looking at me but many people do that to foreigners so I've learned to ignore. Then in a tone as if I had done something wrong she was like "excuse me? 안녕하세요?" So I politely greeted her back and she looked quite huffy. Relax lady.

I go to that school in the afternoons and I'm at a different one in the morning, but its been my main school for about 3 years. I came in on Friday after school and allll her shit is all over my desk and chair, so I moved it over so I could sit down (she was in class). When she came back (out of the corner of my eye I could see) she looked at me, looked at the stuff, then my chair and desk, about 2 or 3 times and sits down. She asks me in Korean. "Um, do you come here everyday?" Still glancing at the stuff. "Yes I do, except Tuesday" "Oh,...I see." Maybe this seems like nothing... but I can see her becoming a pain in the future.... But we shall see. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2856 on: March 06, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
Would be a shame if you accidentally spilled coffee all over your desk and all her things just happened to be in the way....  :angel: In seriousness though, hopefully she won't be too big a pain.

So apparently the vice principal at my travel school has already been transferred-- I asked my coT, "After only 1 year???" to which she said that there were "lots of stories" but that I didn't need to worry and that that VP had been moved to an island even further out... lol.  Man, wish it were my former travel coT cause then she'd give me all the juicy details! Hahah

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #2857 on: March 06, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
A new teacher of an unknown subject started at my school last week.  She is the spitting image of that mother in law in all the Korean dramas (style, hair, demeanor all of it), and I fear she may also have the personality of one too. Subtle things so far makes me think she may be a handful.  She sits next to me now in the teachers office and the first day she sad down next to me when  was preparing a PPT for my class. I could feel her looking at me but many people do that to foreigners so I've learned to ignore. Then in a tone as if I had done something wrong she was like "excuse me? 안녕하세요?" So I politely greeted her back and she looked quite huffy. Relax lady.

I go to that school in the afternoons and I'm at a different one in the morning, but its been my main school for about 3 years. I came in on Friday after school and allll her shit is all over my desk and chair, so I moved it over so I could sit down (she was in class). When she came back (out of the corner of my eye I could see) she looked at me, looked at the stuff, then my chair and desk, about 2 or 3 times and sits down. She asks me in Korean. "Um, do you come here everyday?" Still glancing at the stuff. "Yes I do, except Tuesday" "Oh,...I see." Maybe this seems like nothing... but I can see her becoming a pain in the future.... But we shall see.

Ugh. Yeah, I can see where that's going. The I'm old and have a massive sense of entitlement so I'm just going to be a miserable pain coworker. Aren't there other people in your office?

Although, if I were you, after moving her stuff, when you saw her come back in, I would've just said, "Hey, sorry, your stuff was on my desk so I moved it here for you." Same thing accomplished, but it's a bit more diplomatic and might encourage her to treat your desk with some more respect.
Yes that would be her...hopefully it will change..

I suppose I could have said something...but as I am sitting here, she just put her empty cup and teabag as well as used tissues on my desk next to me and continues to work at her own.  :huh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2858 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
Dude! What a tool!! Don't put up with that! Nip it in the bud!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2859 on: March 06, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
Kill her with kindness?  :undecided: