November 16, 2018, 03:05:57 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 812203 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2720 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
Why does severance pay exist?  Is it common in jobs in the US?

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.

In Canada, it is not uncommon in collective agreements.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2721 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.
I think it's meant to be more an incentive for completing your contract. You don't get it if you leave early. And it's more money if you work longer.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2722 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:14 PM »

severance pay is common in contract situations where you want to encourage people to actually finish their contract period

otherwise, typically you only get severance pay when you've been laid off or deemed redundant

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2723 on: February 11, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Why does the bottom row of bananas get cracked skins here?

Never seen this in North America.

Offline ksmtw

• Newgookin
« Reply #2724 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Good question about the bananas. What a mystery. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2725 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Why does the bottom row of bananas get cracked skins here?

Never seen this in North America.

It has to do with the ripening process. Bananas are very sensitive to a bunch of variables, including how long they've been left on the plant before harvesting, temperature, humidity, climate, and other fruits near it. This is why professional banana ripeners (yes, that's a real profession) are paid a TON of money to cultivate them. There's a lot of science behind the fruit.

Western grocery stores go through a lot of pains to prevent this phenomenon by controlling the climate of the store, keeping the fruits near the back of the store, and stacking only certain fruits next to other fruits -- for example, this is why you won't see apples and bananas right next to each other in most western grocery stores (apples give off an ethylene gas that will cause bananas to ripen faster).

In Korea, less painstaking effort is put in. The bananas are fine, though. They're just more ripe and got to that point in a less graceful manner.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:19:51 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2726 on: February 13, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2727 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
LG U(+) is/ has roll(ed) out wifi on trains for those unfortunate souls who went with them.

I think. I saw a wifi sticker today inside a subway car.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

YoungMin

« Reply #2728 on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Why is youtube asking me to verify my age again? If I was old enough 12 months ago how could I possibly not be now?  :lipsrsealed:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2729 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Why is youtube asking me to verify my age again? If I was old enough 12 months ago how could I possibly not be now?  :lipsrsealed:

It's like when we're asked for our diplomas and criminal record checks again.

"Yes, I'm still a graduate of university."

Can't immigration have a file on us with some boxes that are ticked? CO2 graduated X uni in X year. That's been confirmed. His 3rd job doesn't need an apostilled copy. His first job covered that shit.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2730 on: February 13, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »

It's like when we're asked for our diplomas and criminal record checks again.

"Yes, I'm still a graduate of university."

Can't immigration have a file on us with some boxes that are ticked? CO2 graduated X uni in X year. That's been confirmed. His 3rd job doesn't need an apostilled copy. His first job covered that shit.

Are you really trying to bypass bureaucracy?

Society would fall apart without redundancy. Anarchist.

Offline teacherhannah

• Waygookin
« Reply #2731 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #2732 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

Online DaStrongOne

• Adventurer
« Reply #2733 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

You can make pancakes too. Bananas, eggs and some protein powder is delicious with some syrup on top.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2734 on: February 13, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
Apparently you can also substitute eggs with bananas in many baking recipes.

I guess this could be good for the hardcore vegan or people with egg allergies. Or anyone who's just curious.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2735 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »

You can make pancakes too. Bananas, eggs and some protein powder is delicious with some syrup on top.
Banana pancakes do sound yummy. And I should invest in a rice cooker so I can try baking with it.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2736 on: February 13, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
When you're teaching the kids about a new word, or some grammar are there pictures of certain people that you'll always use? Like, for cooking or chef, I will always us a pic of Ramsay.

Anyone else or am I shouting into the wind? haha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2737 on: February 13, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
When you're teaching the kids about a new word, or some grammar are there pictures of certain people that you'll always use? Like, for cooking or chef, I will always us a pic of Ramsay.

'Strong', 'Muscular', 'Muscles' etc... - I always use a picture of The Rock  8)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2738 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
I remember in my first year, I went for a coffee with my CT and her friend who was an English teacher in another school.  My CT's friend was describing her school's NET:

"He's been here a few years.  He's nice but he kind of just sits in the corner and doesn't talk much.  I have to actively ask him to do things, he doesn't have much enthusiasm."

I remember thinking at the time, wow why would you bother being here just to be like that.  Seems so sad.

Fast forward three years and I'm exactly like that.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry  :laugh: :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2739 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

'Strong', 'Muscular', 'Muscles' etc... - I always use a picture of The Rock  8)

When teaching verbs to the young 'uns, I like using different Kirby sprites.