September 22, 2018, 12:06:55 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 770297 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2500 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Not sure about the molasses sugar, never tried it myself, but now I think I might give it a go, too.

My wife picked a box of Billington's.  Let me know how it turns out... not sure how to sub it in.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2501 on: December 16, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »

Not sure about the molasses sugar, never tried it myself, but now I think I might give it a go, too.

My wife picked a box of Billington's.  Let me know how it turns out... not sure how to sub it in.

Will do.

Which reminds me, I still need to make the mayo chocolate cake and report on that. I'm just afraid that it'll taste so good that I'll end up eating it all in a day.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2502 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

Will do.

Which reminds me, I still need to make the mayo chocolate cake and report on that. I'm just afraid that it'll taste so good that I'll end up eating it all in a day.

you can invite me over to help you eat it  :P

Offline Challen13

• Adventurer
« Reply #2503 on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »
FRIDAY! YAY! ;D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2504 on: December 16, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
you can invite me over to help you eat it  :P

Sorry to say that it would probably be a wasted trip because it would be gone before you could get here. xD

Good chocolate cake is a weakness.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2505 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

apparently it's ridiculously cold back home though and they got a bunch of snow, I feel like I should be thankful but at least they TURN ON THE HEAT in the buildings

I was complaining about the cold to one of my cots and she was like "Isn't it colder where you're from?" I told her yes, but we actually use the heat

"Even in schools?" Yes, especially in schools! The parents would get angry if their children were cold in school!

"But it costs so much money" Yes, and the stereotype in America is that if you don't have the heat on in the winter it means you're poor AF and no one wants to think the school is poor

".....but saving money is more important"

MY COLD BUTT IS IMPORTANT

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2506 on: December 16, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

apparently it's ridiculously cold back home though and they got a bunch of snow, I feel like I should be thankful but at least they TURN ON THE HEAT in the buildings

I was complaining about the cold to one of my cots and she was like "Isn't it colder where you're from?" I told her yes, but we actually use the heat

"Even in schools?" Yes, especially in schools! The parents would get angry if their children were cold in school!

"But it costs so much money" Yes, and the stereotype in America is that if you don't have the heat on in the winter it means you're poor AF and no one wants to think the school is poor

WEAR A SWEATER AND STOP COMPLAINING

-Koreans and dads everywhere
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2507 on: December 16, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
2 hours of school left and not a thing to do. I finished the internet today.  It took a while, but I did it.   :undecided:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2508 on: December 16, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

[img]

WEAR A SWEATER AND STOP COMPLAINING

-Koreans and dads everywhere

TRU

Also I am wearing a sweater. And a long sleeve shirt underneath. And a jacket. And a scarf

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2509 on: December 16, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
2 hours of school left and not a thing to do. I finished the internet today.  It took a while, but I did it.   :undecided:

My ass hurts from sitting too much today.  :-[  If this desk gets any warmer it'll burst into flames!

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2510 on: December 16, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »

My ass hurts from sitting too much today.  :-[  If this desk gets any warmer it'll burst into flames!

No doubt. I did play table tennis with the PE teacher earlier, and that helped a little.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2511 on: December 16, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
No, I actually went to Ikea. But their website may too, I dunno.

On iherb? Oh really? Last I looked, they only had blackstrap molasses which will definitely not work. Coupang also has only blackstrap, but they also have molasses sugar, which I have never seen before. I love molasses cookies, so I was thinking about buying that and giving it a try, but I'm not sure how the exchange for that would go.

Oh, the physical location in Seoul has gingerbread house kits? Nice! I'll have to swing by soon.

Yeah, I asked because the online site for Korea doesn't offer them, so I wasn't sure if I was searching wrong, like maybe they had them labeled as something else or that they just stopped selling them.

And yeah, I've gotten the blackstrap, which, when I tried it out, still gave me delicious cookies. I mean the smell makes it seem like it won't work, but, at least with the recipe I used, they turned out just fine. Probably not as good if I had another kind of molasses, but still decent, and if it's too strong for some they don't have to use as much. I've also made gingerbread cookies by substituting molasses with chestnut honey, and those turned out good, too. The taste was a little different, but it still worked.

Yeah, I have read that honey and maple syrup will both work as substitutes for molasses, but I feel like that would make it too sweet, mixing that with the sugar. But you did it and it worked out fine? I should try it then, because molasses is a close close second favorite cookie, to peanut butter.

And I'm actually really surprised that blackstrap worked! I always found it to be too thick and bitter. Maybe I will still give it a go.

@moonbrie- get a butt toaster pad. They are wonderful.

donovan

« Reply #2512 on: December 16, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
Is 'shit' no longer considered all that vulgar? Is it now like saying 'darn it'? I always considered it a step below the f-word, a step above 'damn', but I've been hearing it so much lately by students and adults alike, I'm no longer so sure where it stands.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2513 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
@halo - I have a little blanket like the cool kids (  :cry: ) use, I'm just grumpy   :undecided:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2514 on: December 16, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
Yeah, I have read that honey and maple syrup will both work as substitutes for molasses, but I feel like that would make it too sweet, mixing that with the sugar. But you did it and it worked out fine? I should try it then, because molasses is a close close second favorite cookie, to peanut butter.

And I'm actually really surprised that blackstrap worked! I always found it to be too thick and bitter. Maybe I will still give it a go.

Yeah, the honey worked out just fine. I didn't think it was too sweet and my coTs loved it, too, but if you try it and think it's too sweet, just use less sugar. I think I read some people doing this and being pleased with the results. But then I also used chestnut honey, and it's not as sweet as other honeys. It's very strong and robust.

And yeah, the blackstrap worked well, but I think this may vary from recipe to recipe. If it doesn't use enough flour and sugar, then the cookies may turn out funky. The way I've guesstimated it is it shouldn't smell weird after all of the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed in. If it does, then you should add more dry ingredients (and other ingredients to balance out the additional dry), or use less blackstrap the next time.

I'm also thinking about trying a half blackstrap/half honey deal. I have a feeling that I'll really end up liking the result.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2515 on: December 16, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »
Is 'shit' no longer considered all that vulgar? Is it now like saying 'darn it'? I always considered it a step below the f-word, a step above 'damn', but I've been hearing it so much lately by students and adults alike, I'm no longer so sure where it stands.
Yeah, I still feel like it is a curse word, but most of my students say it so often I'm pretty desensitized to it now. I still don't swear, but I'm so used to it here. I think that's because it just doesn't carry the same weight here since it isn't their word.

donovan

« Reply #2516 on: December 16, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »
Yeah, I still feel like it is a curse word, but most of my students say it so often I'm pretty desensitized to it now. I still don't swear, but I'm so used to it here. I think that's because it just doesn't carry the same weight here since it isn't their word.

I'll still take it over "오마이가아아아~!"

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2517 on: December 16, 2016, 03:22:01 PM »

Yeah, the honey worked out just fine. I didn't think it was too sweet and my coTs loved it, too, but if you try it and think it's too sweet, just use less sugar. I think I read some people doing this and being pleased with the results. But then I also used chestnut honey, and it's not as sweet as other honeys. It's very strong and robust.

And yeah, the blackstrap worked well, but I think this may vary from recipe to recipe. If it doesn't use enough flour and sugar, then the cookies may turn out funky. The way I've guesstimated it is it shouldn't smell weird after all of the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed in. If it does, then you should add more dry ingredients (and other ingredients to balance out the additional dry), or use less blackstrap the next time.

I'm also thinking about trying a half blackstrap/half honey deal. I have a feeling that I'll really end up liking the result.
Ooooooooh, whenever you do that, if you do, please keep me informed! I would be really curious how that goes. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2518 on: December 16, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »

I'll still take it over "오마이가아아아~!"
We were going over emotions this weeks and they had to write different ways to express different emotions. Most classes, there was one student who would ask "Is it ok to use bad words?" So I taught them about euphemisms and most of them started writing things like "Oh ship!" or "Fack!" and other stuff.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2519 on: December 16, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
I have been invited to sing with the teachers during the school festival in Feb. I said I wanted to, to which my coteacher replied that she doesn't want to.

I told her I want to but if it causes a problem for her, it's fine.

I wonder if I'm singing in the school festival  :P