August 22, 2018, 01:04:32 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 747297 times)

ChrisKorea

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
Today, 8:45am

Co-teacher: Let's change the schedule for today.
Me: What?
Co-teacher: We must finish the book!
Me: The book should have been finished a long time ago. 
Co-teacher: We have been busy in my classes.
Me: Doing what? 
Co-teacher: BUSY!
Me: Well, I've been the only one doing the book the last 2 weeks, and I did the speaking and written tests in my class.  I told the kids today, our last full class together, could be movie day.  It's part of their reward system, too.  You agreed to this.  It's all set up and ready to go.
CT: Hmmmm....We must change the schedule today.  We need to finish the book.
Me: What did you do with them yesterday?  Why didn't YOU finish the book yesterday? 
CT: SO BUSY!
Me: Doing what exactly?
CT: We must change the schedule for today.  You should prepare a review game, too. 
Me: I can't just make a whole review game in 5 minutes. 
CT: You said you have review games!
Me: No.  We have new books this year, and I said I could throw one together next week if we have random classes. 
CT: Good.  So, book and then review game. 
Me: THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS.  THREE MORE WEEKS.
Your co-teacher sounds like a crazy nutball.

I think his co-teacher sounds like your standard Korean English teacher. Today I am supposed to be marking skits the students perform, but my co-teacher told me that they were too busy to finish them and that I had to teach. Argh.

Offline Timo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »

Offline kiki_3d

• Adventurer
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
Exam week has rolled around and while on Monday I got to go home, as all the teachers had teachers training, today I'm one of the 4 teachers still at school. I could get so much stuff done. I have to move apartments in August but I have no time to go look at them and I have to find it myself. My school last year always let me go home during this time. I live so far from my school too and so much to do after school today. I've already planned out my camps and prepared for a language exchange meeting for tonight. SO BORED. Can't watch anything due to the other teachers in the office.

Welcome to my life. I have to be at school from 8:20-4:20 everyday unless there is a holiday or I am taking a vacation day. It doesn't matter how many other teachers there are in the school. Of course, they do let me leave to go to the bank or doctor, but it gets logged and added to the 8 hours for possible unpaid leave or sick day or whatever it counts as. But then if I have to stay late to do work, of course I don't get overtime...

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »

Me: Well, I've been the only one doing the book the last 2 weeks, and I did the speaking and written tests in my class.  I told the kids today, our last full class together, could be movie day.  It's part of their reward system, too.  You agreed to this.  It's all set up and ready to go.
Me: What did you do with them yesterday?  Why didn't YOU finish the book yesterday? 
CT: We must change the schedule for today.  You should prepare a review game, too. 
Me: No.  We have new books this year, and I said I could throw one together next week if we have random classes. 

I think his co-teacher sounds like your standard Korean English teacher. Today I am supposed to be marking skits the students perform, but my co-teacher told me that they were too busy to finish them and that I had to teach. Argh.
You are right. Most of them are nutballs  :laugh: Though I love mine haha.  A few of mine have excuses for being busy. One of my co's husband is in NZ for a year for residency issues and shes home taking care of their infant and everyday she just looks more and more tired.  I feel so bad for her I almost want to offer to babysit...almost.         

All my classes are cancelled today. Its pouring. My afternoon class has exams and going home at lunch....I wish I could go home too.... Last year my school let me. My VP lets me go home MAYBE 20-30 mins early.   Baa humbug.

Online AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

I've had some co-teachers like this in the past.

Really though, if you have to make a review game--assuming you're proficient in powerpoint--you could whip one up in 5-10 minutes. I design my practice PPTs to include plenty of questions/answers so that I can just copy/paste them into a template ready to go.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »
Exam week has rolled around and while on Monday I got to go home, as all the teachers had teachers training, today I'm one of the 4 teachers still at school. I could get so much stuff done. I have to move apartments in August but I have no time to go look at them and I have to find it myself. My school last year always let me go home during this time. I live so far from my school too and so much to do after school today. I've already planned out my camps and prepared for a language exchange meeting for tonight. SO BORED. Can't watch anything due to the other teachers in the office.

Welcome to my life. I have to be at school from 8:20-4:20 everyday unless there is a holiday or I am taking a vacation day. It doesn't matter how many other teachers there are in the school. Of course, they do let me leave to go to the bank or doctor, but it gets logged and added to the 8 hours for possible unpaid leave or sick day or whatever it counts as. But then if I have to stay late to do work, of course I don't get overtime...

My previous school was a private high school so they didn't really care about EPIKs rules that much. It was nice to not have to waste my time at my desk.  It also depends on the VP too, because half way through my time there things changed. The VP wasn't as keen to let me go.  I also get we are getting paid to be here even if we have no classes so I shouldn't complain. But I wish I were given the office. When they do let me go its like "BUT PLEASE DON'T GET HURT".  Yes ma'ams.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »

Hahaha, I've had this conversation before.

Today, my evil CT told me to make a game for lesson 6 for the fourth graders. Trouble is, they only had one class about lesson 6 with me before she immediately started demanding a review class to prepare them for their test instead. She also lambasted me for making a review PPT yesterday, so I didn't make one for today.

She's up there screaming at them in Korean for forgetting the material. Maybe if they'd learned it, they'd remember, instead of just dutifully repeating phrases I tell them for which I did my very best to provide a grammatical context, but they just can't understand because it's a difficult grammar point and they needed a Korean explanation, while you sat in the back of the classroom muttering under your breath and playing with your day planner instead of teaching or translating, as usual?

P.S. I don't care if it's Friday or not! I need to rant!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »

I've had some co-teachers like this in the past.

Really though, if you have to make a review game--assuming you're proficient in powerpoint--you could whip one up in 5-10 minutes. I design my practice PPTs to include plenty of questions/answers so that I can just copy/paste them into a template ready to go.

If I make a new game, even if all I'm doing is changing the words and pictures in a game, I have to:

1. Find pictures. I can't use the clipart function in Powerpoint; it refuses to load. So all the pictures I have, I search and download. I also get screamed at if I use too many pics that aren't animated GIFs, and there exist just not that many GIFs for every occasion. You can easily find them for things like "swimming" or "breakfast," but try "quiz," for example. So that takes time. I also get in trouble if I use a picture the kids have seen "too many times."

2. Change font sizes. Anything under 72 is unacceptable. My one CT will actually take a ruler to the screen to check if it's "big enough," which is pretty crazy, 'cause she could just go LOOK AT THE PPT. But sometimes I have to restructure games and stuff to accommodate larger fonts.

3. Make sure it works on both computer. Nine times out of ten, if it works perfectly on my machine, it won't on the main computer.

So if you have crazy, overbearing coteachers like I do, even a basic switch-n-ditch PPT takes upwards of an hour.

Online AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »
If I make a new game, even if all I'm doing is changing the words and pictures in a game, I have to:

1. Find pictures. I can't use the clipart function in Powerpoint; it refuses to load. So all the pictures I have, I search and download. I also get screamed at if I use too many pics that aren't animated GIFs, and there exist just not that many GIFs for every occasion. You can easily find them for things like "swimming" or "breakfast," but try "quiz," for example. So that takes time. I also get in trouble if I use a picture the kids have seen "too many times."

2. Change font sizes. Anything under 72 is unacceptable. My one CT will actually take a ruler to the screen to check if it's "big enough," which is pretty crazy, 'cause she could just go LOOK AT THE PPT. But sometimes I have to restructure games and stuff to accommodate larger fonts.

3. Make sure it works on both computer. Nine times out of ten, if it works perfectly on my machine, it won't on the main computer.

So if you have crazy, overbearing coteachers like I do, even a basic switch-n-ditch PPT takes upwards of an hour.

Yes, I've seen your numerous posts on other threads about your situation...sorry to hear about that. Your case certainly is the exception to the rule, it just sucks that you're stuck in it for the time being. When every miniscule thing becomes an object of scrutiny, I would imagine 'whipping up a review game' instead turns into a daunting, stressful burden.

But you're sticking it out for a couple more months, right? Keep your head up.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »

Actually, I'd say my CT is a very good teacher.  She's just Korean.  haha.  I mean that she thinks she's incredibly busy all the time even though she's really, really not.  In fact, all her free time just gives her time to think of ways to change things for no reason, or I should say the reason is to look like she's doing something.  So while I'm teaching 12 more classes a week than her, she's sitting in her office napping or watching videos thinking of what we could be doing instead of what we will do.  And then she falls back to sleep instead of telling me what she's decided, only to tell me 5 minutes before it happens.  So, like I said, she's Korean.  Changing things just to do something, too much time on her hands but needs to appear busy, waiting till the last minute to tell me things.  I've been here a while, so I'm used to it.  But now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel I stand up to it a bit more.  I have enough going on now to deal with this nonsense.  You want a review game, you make it.  Which is what happened. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »
I have to:

1. Find pictures. ... and... GIFs for every occasion. I also get in trouble if I use a picture the kids have seen "too many times."
2. Change font sizes. Anything under 72 is unacceptable.
I hate to agree with a coworker that from your past posts comes across as a maniacal, bi-polar, mess of a human being, but I think all 3 points are pretty good.

1. I check imgur/flickr/reddit etc for .gifs. There's a .gif for everything under the sun. And for many things that aren't. And shouldn't be. I spend more time on the net than I really should.  :sad:
For your quiz example:
Crap, there's a quiz today?
I don't know the answer. :(
I REALLY don't know the answer. :(
Duhhhh...

2. Big font sizes are awesome. Preferably bolded, colourful, and ultra-high contrast. If you have more than 2 sentences on a slide, then something's wrong. Works for kindy, and it works for professional workshops. At heart, everybody is a five year old boy with attention-span issues (or am I projecting?...)

3. I have this problem too at times. Also with different computers messing with font positioning, borders, and picture alignments. Drives me nuts. I find that saving everything in the .pptx format helps reduce these issues. Alternatively, try to save the file so that the format matches the ppt version on the computer you will be using it on. Or just switch to Prezi and take your kids on a zoom roller-coaster ride (Enhance! Enhance more! Enhancify! More enhancifying!...)

If all of this is super obvious, just consider this as rambling. Because it's Friday and Fridays are for rambling. Ramble on:smiley:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:41:33 AM by kyndo »

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
Kyndo, seriously? Long walk, short dock. The time adds up when you only have 1-2 hours of prep in a day to make EIGHT OR NINE different PPTs.

You think it's so rad and easy? You come work this job, with these people. Please.

I think I'm done with pointless rambling.

Offline 외계인

• Expert Waygook
  • "I would prefer not to."
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
Kyndo, seriously? Long walk, short dock. The time adds up when you only have 1-2 hours of prep in a day to make EIGHT OR NINE different PPTs.

You think it's so rad and easy? You come work this job, with these people. Please.

I think I'm done with pointless rambling.

I wish: I live 2-3 hours inland, so no docks here. I miss swimming. :sad:

Yeah, time constraints make everything more difficult: I've been here for a bit, so I can dust off old files and spruce them up for short-notice lessons. Which I don't have too many of, thankfully, because my coworkers all understand that I get cranky when surprised with... well... surprise lessons.

Anyway, for the majority of us public teachers who don't have 8-9 classes a day, those three points are ones to keep in mind.

And no time for rambling? Then maybe this one?

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »

I mean just don't do it. What's the worst that could happen? If she was well aware of your plan, then she can't really complain out loud about it. "Oh, I'm sorry I have this here ready to go! Oh, you want to do that? Oh okay, I guess you have to figure it out then! Good luck!"

Offline tikleme_elmo

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »

Jumpin' on the orangeman ego stroking. Someone please convert this conversation into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfFooy0QTY

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Jumpin' on the orangeman ego stroking. Someone please convert this conversation into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfFooy0QTY
Would love to, but it's impossible.
The people who developed that text-to-voice+animation program have since removed it from the 'net.

Really sucked, because it looked like a very robust programme, and I could totally see myself using this rather than .ppt for some of my lessons. The kids would've loved it!  :sad:

Online jamienottingham

• Veteran
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
What was the name of that program? I downloaded it once, it was fun for a while

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2015, 02:44:28 PM »
OMG those videos...So true they are aggravating... Mrs. Choi needs a swift kick to the face.